Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is it ever shown canonically that hypersleep a actually DOES halt gestation? Burke seems to think so but afaik in none of the movies does it get put to the test. The things seem to tolerate vacuum pretty well, maybe they'd be just fine growing in a chilled meat incubator.

(I'm looking forward to the Alien RPG and "sure, you settle Crewman Jones into cryosleep without issue. 12 hours later he starts convulsing a and a monster eats through his sternum anyway" seems like a good hosed up surprise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is it ever shown canonically that hypersleep a actually DOES halt gestation? Burke seems to think so but afaik in none of the movies does it get put to the test. The things seem to tolerate vacuum pretty well, maybe they'd be just fine growing in a chilled meat incubator.

Well it either halts or severely slows down aging and other metabolic functions. We know this from Ripley being in for 57 years.

https://alienanthology.fandom.com/wiki/Stasis

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

purple death ray posted:

Some of yall are bad at movies

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Phi230 posted:

If David invented the Aliens then how were they on the ancient ship on 426? If David invented the Alien on that colony ship then how did an "engineer" spaceship get to LV-426 with them?
It's entirely possible that David didn't invent them, he just thinks he did. There's even hints at this in the movie; David misattributes the author of the Ozymandias poem, his most favorite poem ever, and doesn't realize it.

The novelization actually has David explicitly saying that he didn't invent them, but that was the author literally going off-script because he thought the "David inventing the Aliens" idea was retarded

Phi230 posted:

Even Aliens had me thinking: how do you start with one or a handful of xenomorphs and end up with a colony? A queen? Why do they look different?
There's a few different ways tossed around in the fiction - a dedicated Queen-laying facehugger can produce a Queen (this is what happened to Ripley), or a Drone or Praetorian can morph into a Queen.

If you mean why do the ones in 'Aliens' look different from the one in 'Alien', the short reason is that originally they kinda weren't - the Aliens were supposed to have minor cosmetic differences (the hands and feet) but otherwise be the same, but the translucent domes on the costumes kept falling off or breaking due to all the stuntwork so they scrapped them entirely and redesigned the heads a little. Other than the hands, feet, and head, the 'Aliens' design is actually identical to the one in 'Alien'.
As for an in-universe explanation, James Cameron gave an off-the-cuff explanation that the Aliens were older so the translucent domes had molted off, but I've never been a fan of that idea because it's not really internally consistent. Another explanation (and the one that crops up most often in the video games) is that it's indicative of different "castes" of Aliens, kind of like with bees or termites. Another explanation (and one that crops up most often in the comics) is that they're weird extraterrestrials and don't have a set "design", so they look different because reasons. This is thematically in-line with 'Alien' where the creature is meant to be weird and unknowable, and also in line with the movies where the design changes from movie to movie without rhyme or reason.

Meskhenet posted:

Just rewatched the theatrical version of Alien last night.

to me it really did seem like the android knew what was there. And the bit when weaver says to the captain she doesnt trust the science officer and he tells her he had been on 5 missions with someone else and 2 days before they set off of this one he was replaced (with the andriod).
The short version is that the Company knew *something* was there, having received the same signal that the Nostromo homes in on, but doesn't know what it is.

Phi230 posted:

Only one thing bugs me about Aliens: why does an entire military spaceship only have a crew of one squad of marines? How are ~20 people supposed to do the job of essentially an entire navy ship? It doesn't seem smart to leave the ship empty in orbit while the crew is out on a mission
The bulk of the ship is automated, and they were getting dispatched on what they essentially thought was a check-up mission on a colony, at worst a bug-hunt where they shoot some indigenous lifeforms for a bit.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

E: WY also doesn't want the colony eliminated and only wants specimens sent back with a veneer of plausible deniability
For what its worth, Burke was acting independently of WY, because he wanted to secure exclusive rights and have a huge payday. He wasn't acting under WY orders or anything like that.
In fact, the one thing the movie doesn't make entirely clear (and which the expanded universe stuff has undermined quite a bit over the years) is that the Company isn't nearly as powerful as you'd think. Like yeah they're Too Big To Fail and they can influence lawmakers and get away with stuff so long as they can cover it up (sending their own ship to a mystery planet, acting with impunity on their own prison planet, Burke covering up the deaths of anyone involved with LV-426) but they can't just act with impunity and have the law look the other way. At Ripley's interrogation, the only person in the room who's actually from the Company is Burke - everyone else there is from some kind of government agency.

Meskhenet posted:

OHHH. and the final scene, where the Alien is in the escape shuttle and is SLEEPING, completely oblivious to Ripley. I always remembered that scene as it laying in wait and coming out when she was about to get into the sleep pod.
That bit is kind of a holdover to some of the early concepts for the Alien; originally the Alien was supposed to have a really short lifespan, and by the end of the movie it's actually "dying" and had hidden itself away in the shuttle to die. Originally the Alien's dome was also meant to be translucent and it would darken over the course of the movie, but ultimately you really can't see that effect because of the lighting and how infrequently you see the Alien.

Another early concept holdover is hinted at with the eggmorphing scene with Dallas and Brett that got deleted (and re-added in the director's cut). On the surface this closes the loop of the Alien's reproductive cycle, but the other intended implication is that all of the eggs that Kane saw inside the Derelict are actually the Derelict's crew.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
With regards to how few soldiers were sent, I have been on oil rigs and big ocean research vessels, and what really struck me was just how few humans were running the things. Everything is becoming increasingly automated or just remote controlled from headquarters on land, and the crew is kept to the absolute minimum necessary to run operations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive seen the morphing into the egg before and from then on pretty much assumed the eggs on the Derelict were the crew.

Never knew the lifespan was meant to be so short and it was dying.

Rewatching Aliens was pretty good. At the begining with all the marines i couldnt ever recall seeing before, then the scene where all the redshirts disappear :)

And how both movies are both fairly slow burns. Like if they were made today there'd have been 10 explosions before the opening credits had finished.

Soon ill watch 3 and 4 for the first time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

It's entirely possible that David didn't invent them, he just thinks he did. There's even hints at this in the movie; David misattributes the author of the Ozymandias poem, his most favorite poem ever, and doesn't realize it.

The novelization actually has David explicitly saying that he didn't invent them, but that was the author literally going off-script because he thought the "David inventing the Aliens" idea was retarded

I'm in work otherwise I'd clip pictures in photoshop and post comparisons, but the Xenomorph in Covenant has some minor differences to the "classic" alien too. Like its limbs are smoother and more sinewy and look like muscle fibre than the original which was more piping and bio-mechanical.

This is totally a "death of the author" reading btw. I might be reading too much into a design choice that was made because it was just "cool" or "easier" to do or something. But it'd be neat if it was a conscious choice to set it apart.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Meskhenet posted:

Ive seen the morphing into the egg before and from then on pretty much assumed the eggs on the Derelict were the crew.

Never knew the lifespan was meant to be so short and it was dying.

Rewatching Aliens was pretty good. At the begining with all the marines i couldnt ever recall seeing before, then the scene where all the redshirts disappear :)

And how both movies are both fairly slow burns. Like if they were made today there'd have been 10 explosions before the opening credits had finished.

Soon ill watch 3 and 4 for the first time.
I hate this about modern horror. Life starting with an Exciting Space Emergency really set the tone for the ongoing disappointment of that film.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Would anyone like to get a group going for the alien RPGs when it comes out?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It's probably been said a billion times in this thread, but aliens is bad. Alien is a great horror thriller about being locked in an isolated environment with a monster with no way to fight it. It really captured the helplessness of being faced with an apex predator (much like how it would feel to come face to face with a tiger), as well as doing an excellent job of portraying the isolation of being on a spaceship. It blended primal feeling with futuristic setting perfectly.

Aliens however threw all of this away for a dull action flick. It's the exact same story with Rambo -> Rambo 2, but at least most people have the common sense to not revere the lovely sequel. Not sorry, Aliens is bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aliens is different from Alien, but that does not make it “bad”.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Yes it does. It doesn't bring anything interesting or compelling to the table. It's an 80s action flick of the worst variety, the epitome of cinematic drivel. What it lacks in substance it tries to cope with camp, and the end result is a massive disappointment. Alien should have not been followed up with anything.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

:wrong: you saying that doesn't make it so, it's merely one opinion, in the vast minority.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thatsbait.gif

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Dont Touch ME posted:

Yes it does. It doesn't bring anything interesting or compelling to the table. It's an 80s action flick of the worst variety, the epitome of cinematic drivel. What it lacks in substance it tries to cope with camp, and the end result is a massive disappointment. Alien should have not been followed up with anything.

Gonna take the advice of your username an put u on ignore :smug:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Dont Touch ME posted:

Aliens gave us Vasquez, which is worth the price of admission.

Oh, Jennette, you can mistake me for a man any day. :syoon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dont Touch ME posted:

It's probably been said a billion times in this thread, but aliens is bad. Alien is a great horror thriller about being locked in an isolated environment with a monster with no way to fight it. It really captured the helplessness of being faced with an apex predator (much like how it would feel to come face to face with a tiger), as well as doing an excellent job of portraying the isolation of being on a spaceship. It blended primal feeling with futuristic setting perfectly.

Aliens however threw all of this away for a dull action flick. It's the exact same story with Rambo -> Rambo 2, but at least most people have the common sense to not revere the lovely sequel. Not sorry, Aliens is bad.

0/10 obvious troll

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dont Touch ME posted:

The only good Alien sequel would be a two actor single location indie drama directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will say that there are Alien fans who genuinely don’t like Aliens, and I can understand and respect that. Aliens DOES change things, and those changes don’t work for everybody.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Aliens is a good movie, but it set the series up for failure. After you’ve had a movie where Ripley is a big badass action hero and the aliens are cannon fodder and you just have to kill the big one to win, you can’t succeed in going back to movies where a single alien is a genuine horror and Ripley is out of her depth in confronting them. You either have to mostly shove Aliens into the closet and pretend it never happened (Alien 3 tries this and almost pulls it off despite its big problems), just mashup the first two movies (Resurrection tries this and doesn’t pull it off), or cut Ripley altogether and recapitulate the previous movies with less badass leads (Prometheus and Covenant both try this and uh, that’s what those movies are like).

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 23, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Eh, it only "set the series up for failure" insofar as it was good, and all the movies people tried to make afterwards were not good.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xenomrph posted:

I will say that there are Alien fans who genuinely don’t like Aliens, and I can understand and respect that. Aliens DOES change things, and those changes don’t work for everybody.

Yeah this. I really like the Alien series because it’s one of the few big series in Hollywood that consistently takes risks. All 6 of the alien movies never tried to be like the other one, and it’s great. This internet tribalism bullshit about durrr gently caress A3, A:R, Prometheus, etc. is just so juvenile and exhausting.

“BUT ITS NOT LIKE ALIEN OR ALIENS!!!” Yeah, doofus, that’s the point. There are plenty of franchises out there that essentially make the same sequels over and over again. Go watch them if that’s your thing

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

skasion posted:

Aliens is a good movie, but it set the series up for failure. After you’ve had a movie where Ripley is a big badass action hero and the aliens are cannon fodder and you just have to kill the big one to win, you can’t succeed in going back to movies where a single alien is a genuine horror and Ripley is out of her depth in confronting them. You either have to mostly shove Aliens into the closet and pretend it never happened (Alien 3 tries this and almost pulls it off despite its big problems), just mashup the first two movies (Resurrection tries this and doesn’t pull it off), or cut Ripley altogether and recapitulate the previous movies with less badass leads (Prometheus and Covenant both try this and uh, that’s what those movies are like).
Alien 3's basic premise was fine, take away the turrets and the flamethrowers and the powerloaders and one alien is a threat again. Ripley is still badass but she's got no resources so the humans have to use themselves as bait in a facility-sized trap. Twice, because people are their own worst enemy. Alien is still hands down the best film of the series but any problems with Aliens are not that trained soldiers on a planet are better at killing lots of acid blood aliens than a bunch of miners in an enclosed spaceship.

e: the acid blood was only added in the first place to solve the problem of "why don't they just shoot it?"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 23, 2019

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Dont Touch ME posted:

i appreciate the craft of alien, i recognise it as a great movie, but I find it boring as poo poo and always fall asleep during (im old)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

"Let's rooooooccck!"
*type type type type*
"Who's responding to these dumb loving opinions? Hold posts, I repeat, hold posts!"
"THEY'RE COMING OUTTA THE GODDAMN WALLS, MAN"

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

everyone’s entitled to their preferences in film, but if you’re such a wet blanket you can’t enjoy Aliens at any level then I don’t need you in my life

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I just got word that Aliens is good, actually. I wanted to just spread that around so you all know.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

i appreciate the craft of alien, i recognise it as a great movie, but I find it boring as poo poo and always fall asleep during (im old)

I find all of Ridley Scott's work to be somewhat plodding.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Jay_Zombie posted:

Aliens gave us Vasquez, which is worth the price of admission.

Oh, Jennette, you can mistake me for a man any day. :syoon:

Okay I hadn't considered that, and I respectfully withdraw my rude comments. I just can't argue with taste that good.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Would anyone like to get a group going for the alien RPGs when it comes out?

Ah-fur-ma-tive

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Aliens is good.
If you dont think so, i think you should.
The only people that think it's dumb
are those that cover their anime dolls in cum.

It rhymes so it's true. Sorry you're wrong.

But seriously.

The marines in aliens are meant to be tough, and we lose the bigger chunk of them due to terrible leadership in the first action scene. In a way the aliens do seem to be less of a threat, so i can agree with some of the reasons why people dislike it. (BUUUTT, terrible leadership seems to be the only constant we can rely upon through the series)

However, playing some of the aliens games, being the marine is poo poo scary even though you're packing firepower.

I think losing the bigger chunk of meat to the aliens (as in they showed intellegence, like the solo one did in Alien) would have helped people like it more.

For an 80's action film its pretty good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I can't understand how anyone could watch Aliens and not think it was anything less than spectacular.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Drunken Baker posted:

I can't understand how anyone could watch Aliens and not think it was anything less than spectacular.

My mommy always said there were no monsters - no real ones - but there are.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drunken Baker posted:

If you're looking at Aliens as a standalone film and you think it's bad then you have brain problems. If you're comparing it directly to Alien then some of the marines bits are kind of cheesy and they aren't a patch on the nostromo crew.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Dont Touch ME posted:

Okay I hadn't considered that, and I respectfully withdraw my rude comments. I just can't argue with taste that good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Class Warcraft posted:

Ah-fur-ma-tive

I'm testing it out in a one-on-one using a Traveller starship, the Kinunir, as a stand-in for a Conestoga-Class marine transport pending. I've got to review the stress rules and get another session scheduled, but so far the system looks like to should do the job.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

I'm testing it out in a one-on-one using a Traveller starship, the Kinunir, as a stand-in for a Conestoga-Class marine transport pending. I've got to review the stress rules and get another session scheduled, but so far the system looks like to should do the job.

The transition from narrative mode to "stealth" mode can be a bit jarring I hope they explain how to make that smoother in the full rules

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oooh that is pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xenomrph posted:

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

that's cool as hell, onto the wishlist it goes!

e. Also was browsing Etsy the other day and found these, which are amazing and I'm thinking about buying them to put on everything I own: https://www.etsy.com/listing/735386257/alien-weyland-yutani-asset-tag-sticker?ref=hp_rv-5&frs=1