Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

I kind of like this "Star Citizen Bile Archive" name.

e: Taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grubby Hobo posted:

I kind of like this "Star Citizen Bile Archive" name.

Me too, but the dueling Reddit and Forum thing is probably not a good idea.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

Me too, but the dueling Reddit and Forum thing is probably not a good idea.

I've said it for years. Stay out of Reddit, point at the "game," all the humor is in the "game." The occasional Bunnyman post is funny, or the CPAP Commando, for a little variety. Otherwise the show here is the game and the people making the game. Every Reddit post here is like pulling the camera off a sitcom and pointing it to people in the audience and pointing and laughing at them instead.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 25, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Well anyway that's enough about the interceptor.

Time to look forward to this Thursday when they'll do an ISC entirely about choosing the paintjob for the interceptor, and the sound that the interceptor makes when firing the interception beam, and the approximate temperature of the toilet seats on the interceptor, and

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Sarsapariller posted:

Calling it now, this one's going to be a sales flop.

lol

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Well anyway that's enough about the interceptor.

Time to look forward to this Thursday when they'll do an ISC entirely about choosing the paintjob for the interceptor, and the sound that the interceptor makes when firing the interception beam, and the approximate temperature of the toilet seats on the interceptor, and

What do you think this year's CitizenCon gimmick will be?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I've said it for years. Stay out of Reddit, point at the "game," all the humor is in the "game." The occasional Bunnyman post is funny, or the CPAP Commando, for a little variety. Otherwise the show here is the game and the people making the game. Every Reddit post here is like pulling the camera off a sitcom and pointing it to people in the audience and pointing and laughing at them instead.

:same:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Hard to tell. Something enormously complex that's taken the manpower of half their studio for 6 months without ever once registering on the roadmap, would be my bet.

I'm thinking multiple new systems and "Exploration" gameplay, i.e. traveling to the multiple new systems.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Doing some drive-by mass downvoting is perfectly fine as it doesn't really mess with the natives that much. :eng101:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Doing some drive-by mass downvoting is perfectly fine as it doesn't really mess with the natives that much. :eng101:

Can we put this on the big board as Goon Prime Directive?

I defer to the high Council of the Cockroach king, of course. Sheero Pippi.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hello

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

hey, how ya doin'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Can we put this on the big board as Goon Prime Directive?

I defer to the high Council of the Cockroach king, of course. Sheero Pippi.

And, if you really, really hate that game and have just cashed a refund for your Idris-M then there are options for smart sophisticated people like you!

https://www.soar.sh/service/buy-reddit-downvotes/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Agony Aunt posted:

I've got a criminal record.

I sat on your lap one time! :huh:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Hard to tell. Something enormously complex that's taken the manpower of half their studio for 6 months without ever once registering on the roadmap, would be my bet.

I'm thinking multiple new systems and "Exploration" gameplay, i.e. traveling to the multiple new systems.

I reckon there'll be some sort of huge build up of hype and expectation with very few spoilers or clues, everyone will watch with baited breath as CR, barely containing his own excitement and dribbling profusely, does the finger point to the vid tech guy and stammers the words "Um so yeah, ahhh, roll it".

Then as the dark screen behind him slowly starts to come to life, the crowd of super nerds, clutching their 'not at all' limited edition SC tankards of factory made powered orange flavoured squash drink and visibly shaking, await the beauty of CR's "vision". Tears of joy well up in the eyes of absolutely all who witness the unfolding event, including us, here.

CR's eyes grow large, almost anime-like in appearance, from the screen, light bursts into the venue causing all to squint. "LOOK ON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!!" CR bellows, slowly, the crowds eyes adjust to the scorching light, the Goons watching from afar are lost for words, there are no words. The majesty of the spectacle is overwhelming.

The screen shows, the cafeteria scene, a commando jitters to a chair and falls though it, the proceedural eggs are floating high above the frying pan, a T-posing commando in the background spins on the spot. It is glorious.

Buy all the Idris.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Scruffpuff posted:

Also, Russ Abbott?
Next thing you'll be mentioning Keith Harris, Frank Skinner and Peter loving Kay - all comedians who also think they can sing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dogeh posted:

Also, Russ Abbott?
Next thing you'll be mentioning Keith Harris, Frank Skinner and Peter loving Kay - all comedians who also think they can sing.

Jimmy Nail.

Robson and Jerome.

Americans have no idea what hellish evil the British pop charts have almost unleashed on the world. So many bad Christmas singles.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

I reckon there'll be some sort of huge build up of hype and expectation with very few spoilers or clues, everyone will watch with baited breath as CR, barely containing his own excitement and dribbling profusely, does the finger point to the vid tech guy and stammers the words "Um so yeah, ahhh, roll it".

Then as the dark screen behind him slowly starts to come to life, the crowd of super nerds, clutching their 'not at all' limited edition SC tankards of factory made powered orange flavoured squash drink and visibly shaking, await the beauty of CR's "vision". Tears of joy well up in the eyes of absolutely all who witness the unfolding event, including us, here.

CR's eyes grow large, almost anime-like in appearance, from the screen, light bursts into the venue causing all to squint. "LOOK ON MY WORKS, YE MIGHTY, AND DESPAIR!!" CR bellows, slowly, the crowds eyes adjust to the scorching light, the Goons watching from afar are lost for words, there are no words PARP. The majesty of the spectacle is overwhelming.

The screen shows, the cafeteria scene, a commando jitters to a chair and falls though it, the proceedural eggs are floating high above the frying pan, a T-posing commando in the background spins on the spot. It is glorious.

Buy all the Idris.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Kosumo posted:

not empty quoting

Can't argue with that :)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

Some sort of slice (perhaps vertical) of SQ42. (It will immediately glitch out and crash, Chris will start sweating, and they'll have to revert to a prerecorded version.)

Maybe some sort of new engine, or strongly hinting at one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Obviously.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tippis posted:

Obviously.

Oh, that's the good stuff...

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Oh, that's the good stuff...

And then Mae Demming said yes for a second time.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dogeh posted:

Also, Russ Abbott?

I wish i could fly, right up to the sky, but i can't!

Also, you missed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJGJRd8pGE

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

Jimmy Nail.

Robson and Jerome.

Americans have no idea what hellish evil the British pop charts have almost unleashed on the world. So many bad Christmas singles.

Well, its not all bad :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlNwudmrAbA

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

chaosapiant posted:

That's the thing. I'm probably wrong but I feel like Chris absolutely believes with all his heart that none of this is a scam. He reminds me of a child who was given too much money to design his dream toy, and while he's dreaming others are getting rich so long as he keeps dreaming.

You're wrong, because he has a history of straight up scams.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

A 10k to 20k sphere is completely meaningless in a game where everyone can travel at 1km/sec when they've accelerated to top speed. It's even more meaningless when you realize that people are jetting around in QT at .2C and space is three-dimensional and infinite. Also a game where the physics programming and boundary collision detection was done by CIG.

Nobody's going to buy this because there's nothing in the game to loving steal. There are no NPC's to harass and you can't steal poo poo from other players. In fact you can't effectively engage them in any meaningful way except to shoot them. And superwhale ships are completely invulnerable to being shot. They've even announced already that they don't want just one of this ship to effectively stop the whale ships from getting around.

Calling it now, this one's going to be a sales flop.

I mean, whatever else is going on here. these are shitizens and this is CR. of _fucking_ course they are going to buy this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Mayor of Roysten Vasey was popular. I was working in a record shop when that came out, and people went absolutely mental for it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SoftNum posted:

I mean, whatever else is going on here. these are shitizens and this is CR. of _fucking_ course they are going to buy this.

I'm not sure they will. The whales may not be very piratey.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I'm hoping this game gets to a point where it can be reliably griefed without having to pay more than like 50 bucks or on free fly events

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!
Looking at the mining stuff is very frustrating, because it seems like something so simple to make into a neat little gameplay loop that won't stress the servers, but it's just break rocks, sell rocks, and doing it in person vs. doing it via a ship is so inefficient that it's simply a novelty.

So, I'd propose this:
-There are some ores and minerals that get destroyed by ship mining. They're just too delicate. In fact, make that about half of all the things you can mine. You won't find these in every single cave, but they won't be so rare it's frustrating.

-There's upgraded and extra equipment you can buy from a mining NPC, but he won't sell to just anyone. You have to prove you're worthy of it. Partly for ethical reasons, but also because mining equipment can be dangerous (and if you overeheat it, which should not be made easy to do, it can blow up as a bit of an Easter Egg). Also certain ores need to be carved out with care. But if you deliver enough of X ore and X mineral to the person, they'll sell you a better multitool. They'll also sell you things like a device that sucks up all the fragments on the ground so you don't have to pick them up by hand. And maybe better sensors to find new valuable ores and minerals. You can get progressively better stuff and become a geared-out expert that finds the ultra-rare stuff that makes on-foot mining more than a novelty.

-In really rare cases, with special sensors, you might find archaeology discoveries. Old relics that are worth a lot and for which you can be traded on the black market for a variety of special items (like say, pills that will allow you to not get a heart attack while running).

There, a reasonably straightforward and chill gameplay loop for on-foot mining with a couple of twists and progression, that involves all of two or three types of NPCs and a couple of special shops, and also doesn't involve implementing a crafting mini-game which frankly is a feature that's probably beyond them right now. I came up with this in 20 minutes. You could add the occasional cave monster, add ores that explode, and if you want to be anywhere close to as ambitious as regular MMOs, you could put them into crafting or have NPCs use these items for upgrades, but that's beyond Tier 0 and would take a lot more work.

Caveat: I'm a little new to the Star Citizen schadenfreude community so sorry if what I'm suggesting is silly.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Migrating to UE4.

A ship that hints at new and exciting gameplay - moon fracking.

Buy your own space station.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chrom1um posted:

Caveat: I'm a little new to the Star Citizen schadenfreude community so sorry if what I'm suggesting is silly.

So a hint:

Thought you put in: <decent gameplay conjecture>

Thought CR put in: "How do I separate more whales from their money before sandy chokes me for real this time."

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Gravity_Storm posted:

Migrating to UE4.

A ship that hints at new and exciting gameplay - moon fracking.

Buy your own space station.

I'm surprised they haven't offered full on space stations or real estate options yet. these idiots are paying a grand for a jpeg how much for a poster sized jpeg?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chrom1um posted:

Looking at the mining stuff is very frustrating, because it seems like something so simple to make into a neat little gameplay loop that won't stress the servers, but it's just break rocks, sell rocks, and doing it in person vs. doing it via a ship is so inefficient that it's simply a novelty.

So, I'd propose this:
-There are some ores and minerals that get destroyed by ship mining. They're just too delicate. In fact, make that about half of all the things you can mine. You won't find these in every single cave, but they won't be so rare it's frustrating.

-There's upgraded and extra equipment you can buy from a mining NPC, but he won't sell to just anyone. You have to prove you're worthy of it. Partly for ethical reasons, but also because mining equipment can be dangerous (and if you overeheat it, which should not be made easy to do, it can blow up as a bit of an Easter Egg). Also certain ores need to be carved out with care. But if you deliver enough of X ore and X mineral to the person, they'll sell you a better multitool. They'll also sell you things like a device that sucks up all the fragments on the ground so you don't have to pick them up by hand. And maybe better sensors to find new valuable ores and minerals. You can get progressively better stuff and become a geared-out expert that finds the ultra-rare stuff that makes on-foot mining more than a novelty.

-In really rare cases, with special sensors, you might find archaeology discoveries. Old relics that are worth a lot and for which you can be traded on the black market for a variety of special items (like say, pills that will allow you to not get a heart attack while running).

There, a reasonably straightforward and chill gameplay loop for on-foot mining with a couple of twists and progression, that involves all of two or three types of NPCs and a couple of special shops, and also doesn't involve implementing a crafting mini-game which frankly is a feature that's probably beyond them right now. I came up with this in 20 minutes. You could add the occasional cave monster, add ores that explode, and if you want to be anywhere close to as ambitious as regular MMOs, you could put them into crafting or have NPCs use these items for upgrades, but that's beyond Tier 0 and would take a lot more work.

You’ve already put a lot more thought into this than CI!G, but we’re a freewheeling vile hate thread and quite inclusionary for our blood red anger and incoherent spite.

I bought a Valve Index. Can someone point me at a resource for mining in ED?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

queef anxiety posted:

I'm surprised they haven't offered full on space stations or real estate options yet. these idiots are paying a grand for a jpeg how much for a poster sized jpeg?

Pretty sure they have done that

edit: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16292-Q-A-Land-Claim-License/ so no pricing

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sarsapariller posted:

You will, at which point they'll turn and spend ~5 seconds accelerating to 1000m/s and 20 seconds leaving your interdiction zone and that's the end of that.

The way this works in Elite is that you can pull a dude out of hyperspace with a bit of a struggle, and you're both going to land right on top of each other, him with a cooldown on his drive. It's still not hard for that dude to evade for the ~20 seconds it takes for his drive to come online and then warp again, but it's useful against NPC's at least.

What happens if you hide your ship around a player landing site like port olisar and turn your field on? Will people have to fly 20 km to get to warp?

If you could hide or glitch into safety you could just leave the field on and walk away from your computer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

One such goal is to make both Quantum Enforcement mechanics more nuanced. "I'm sure in the future we want to require you to have a bunch of Mantises or other ships with Quantum Enforcement Devices and pull them together to pull out a large Capital Ship," Tome suggested. "Maybe there will be a Capital Ship designed to pull out other Capital Ships. But for this first version we won't quite get to that balancing yet."

This is absolutely everything Star Citizen has ever done. "Maybe... but we haven't designed / balanced that yet"

What a loving goddamn shitshow holy gently caress, how do people fall for this

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh my god its the missile launcher all over again

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skeletors_condom posted:

I am glad I never played the SC2 campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9X-EQEQDQ

Its soooooo bad, what the gently caress Blizzard

Massive cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Not sure if this has been posted here before..

But if you look for space aramada on the Google Play store you can see the game proudly shows an anvenger spaceship as is icon.

Not digging in any further almost every possible outcome makes me giggle.

Has star citizen been in development so long some one has ripped off there assets and finished a game before star citizen left development?

Or is this yet another example of blatent art theft by cig ?