Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Thanks to WGN I've gotten to disappoint a whole lot of people since I've left Illinois. So much fun to see folks get excited when I say I'm from Chicago - finally, a homegrown fellow Cubs fan! - and then just bum them out telling them I'm a Sox fan.

Also, the Marquee thing is super dumb and peak late capitalism sports. I'm not big on traditions but I did always begrudgingly think it was a cool unique thing they had going with GN and it's kind of a bummer that it's ending, especially like this.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper. Sling is probably the only one that makes any sense since they have some $15 packages, but last time I used that the service sucked.

We use AT&T TV (used to be DirecTVNOW) and it's about $50 a month - we save about $35/mo compared to cable. It'd be more, but I like a bunch of dumb niche sports so I have some add-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ha, I had that same thought a couple days ago too. It's a little different now since cable is so prevalent, hell the Cubs are probably the oddball team that had so many of their games on OTA channels and not strictly on a regional sports network. I would probably still be a little peeved if Cubs moved off of WGN for NBCsportsChicago, but at least then you wouldn't be paying for a specific Cubs channel. I don't think the Cubs are offering up a non-TV streaming option either.

I double checked what Comcast would charge me for a TV/Internet package since I'm internet only right now. It's actually $10 less for me to get the combo package, but then there's like $19 in fees they don't tell you about with TV, so it does end up being more expensive overall. My gut is the Comcast eventually just negotiates the Marguee network onto their higher tier plan with the other niche sports channels.

I got shouted down for saying the Cubs were being morons for betting the farm on starting their own channel, because the RSN bubble was on the verge of bursting.

Cable subscribership is continuing to plummet. :smug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WGN's final cubs game being a close loss seems so perfectly appropriate

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

berman is turning into ber ie sanders

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Berman is only 64, goddamn i'd have put him as into his 70s by now

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Does anyone have ESPN+ and watched NFL Primetime? Is it any good?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

The miracle that is Deux Deux Deux *listens closer to earpiece* Ah drat the Canucks took it off the market five years ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wandler20 posted:

It's pretty much the same thing it always was so it'll depend on your tolerance or nostalgia for Berman

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 23, 2019

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

IIRC he just about went straight from college to Day One ESPN.

I imagine the death of his wife probably added a few years to his appearance.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

also, alcohol

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

wandler20 posted:

MourningView posted:

It's pretty the same thing it always was so it'll depend on your tolerance or nostalgia for Berman

It's sort of pushing that nostalgia button for me as someone who envied others who had cable growing up, but it's clear that Berman's out of practice and/or lost a step mentally. Still, it's nice to have a place just to watch clips of earlier games without hot takes or loads of ads.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

He did a couple years of local TV in the area but yeah more or less. He was there like day one.

He also started losing his hair young which makes you look older :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Primetime was honestly the only time I didn’t hate Berman. For some reason it just worked for me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Berman is great with highlights. He's always enthusiastic about them and makes them feel exciting. Anything else? Nah.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SteveLindsayCBS/status/1176062864701964288

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao god drat

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I grew up on Berman and Primetime so it sounds like I should give it a shot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mactheknife posted:

I'm not big on traditions but I did always begrudgingly think it was a cool unique thing they had going with GN and it's kind of a bummer that it's ending, especially like this.

The wild thing is that, for me, the Cubs on television has come full-circle:

When I was younger, Detroit sports were on either WKBD (over the air) and PASS Sports (premium cable, you needed a box for it). My dad canceled PASS Sports once the Red Wings' season ended, so the only baseball team on TV every day or so was the Cubs on WGN.

I've watched Cubs games on and off on WGN for years.

Now, thanks to MLB.tv and living in Michigan, I'll be apparently the only one watching the games next year, being out of market.

We need more local broadcast traditions, it's part of what makes certain teams unique.

Timby posted:

I got shouted down for saying the Cubs were being morons for betting the farm on starting their own channel, because the RSN bubble was on the verge of bursting.

It's going to backfire horrendously, and hilariously.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

berman looks exactly like one of those paintings of a 19th century french clown

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He should be sitting in a cafe in Paris, discussing existentialism.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

old, rumpled rear end berman on a stage yelling WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP as slavoj zizek explains the play action pass as a quinteshhhential SNIFF diaclectic

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

AsInHowe posted:

The wild thing is that, for me, the Cubs on television has come full-circle:

When I was younger, Detroit sports were on either WKBD (over the air) and PASS Sports (premium cable, you needed a box for it). My dad canceled PASS Sports once the Red Wings' season ended, so the only baseball team on TV every day or so was the Cubs on WGN.

I've watched Cubs games on and off on WGN for years.

Now, thanks to MLB.tv and living in Michigan, I'll be apparently the only one watching the games next year, being out of market.

We need more local broadcast traditions, it's part of what makes certain teams unique.

It's going to backfire horrendously, and hilariously.

This. I grew up in Houston and it was cool to be able to watch weekday afternoon baseball either through the Cubs on WGN or the Braves on TBS back when Ted owned them on the lazy summer days.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I really want to hear Zizek breaking down football now. "Here, you see, is this play which I must admit I admire greatly! In this play the quarterback motions to give the er-uhh fullback or whatever the ball and then WAIT he does not do it. He instead maintains the possession on the ball and then looks down field to his wideouts, his tight ends, his eligible receivers and so on and so on, but thanks to his deception of the opposition he has created enough time for him to dialetically break down who he can throw the ball to in which to score"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1176317590391742465

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

old, rumpled rear end berman on a stage yelling WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP as slavoj zizek explains the play action pass as a quinteshhhential SNIFF diaclectic

This is a good page so far. Coming along nicely.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ACTION PARK DOCUMENTARY IS FINALLY BEING MADE HELL YEAH

trailer here

quote:

Ruled by drunk teenage employees and frequented by drunker teenage guests ... the end result lay somewhere between Lord of the Flies and a Saw movie.

I can't wait :munch:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper.

Lol no

I convinced my parents to go from tv/internet with spectrum to just internet + YouTube tv and their monthly cost went down like $50 and they get more sports channels now (very important for my dad)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I was able to get vue with the sports package and upgrade my internet a tier while still saving 50$ on my cable/internet bill

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Basticle posted:

Lol no

I convinced my parents to go from tv/internet with spectrum to just internet + YouTube tv and their monthly cost went down like $50 and they get more sports channels now (very important for my dad)

Man, I must be getting ripped off on my internet then (this is likely). That or Comcast is running some crazy specials. Right now, Comcast is saying I could get 100 MBps internet, plus 125 channels (which is essentially all of the sports channels I would need) for $75/mo, toss on the various fees and it's probably $95/mo in reality. There's pretty much no way I can save money on that deal with internet only plus YoutubeTV.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Man, I must be getting ripped off on my internet then (this is likely). That or Comcast is running some crazy specials. Right now, Comcast is saying I could get 100 MBps internet, plus 125 channels (which is essentially all of the sports channels I would need) for $75/mo, toss on the various fees and it's probably $95/mo in reality. There's pretty much no way I can save money on that deal with internet only plus YoutubeTV.

That's probably one of those deals that works for the first six months or whatever which will then go up in price significantly afterwards.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

It's the same for me, I spend less on cable than I would going to streams and would get less. I have a spreadsheet and everything!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

That's probably one of those deals that works for the first six months or whatever which will then go up in price significantly afterwards.

Yeah this was me. When we first got our internet it was cheaper to get TV through them too but once the intro rate went away we saved money by cutting the cord. It was not a huge difference though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There was a good article in SI about this a few weeks ago

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Kibner posted:

Yea, but a lot of times you can renew that deal or something close to it. Feels weird going to bat for loving Comcast here.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My dad thought about cutting the cord, so I did some math based on his and my mother's viewing patterns. It turns out their tastes are so varied, cable is cheaper than the mix-and-match of "cable with buffering" services they'd need to get.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Yea, but a lot of times you can renew that deal or something close to it. Feels weird going to bat for loving Comcast here.

Remember how you used to call AOL to cancel and they would give you free months? Threatening to cancel still works for tons of subscription stuff. It takes me 5 minutes on the phone to get half off XM for my car every year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Edward Mass posted:

My dad thought about cutting the cord, so I did some math based on his and my mother's viewing patterns. It turns out their tastes are so varied, cable is cheaper than the mix-and-match of "cable with buffering" services they'd need to get.

My wife was kinda the same way, but when I canceled cable and got an OTA antenna and Hulu (we already had Netflix) she just changed what she was watching. A lot of stuff on cable is pretty much replacable background noise.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lockback posted:

My wife was kinda the same way, but when I canceled cable and got an OTA antenna and Hulu (we already had Netflix) she just changed what she was watching. A lot of stuff on cable is pretty much replacable background noise.

It's different if you're in your 60's, I guess.

e: I should also point out my dad watches the Longhorn Network a ton, so that cuts down options!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

It's different if you're in your 60's, I guess.

e: I should also point out my dad watches the Longhorn Network a ton, so that cuts down options!

Ahh, so he's the guy keeping it afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WGN broadcasted their last Cubs game on Saturday because the Cubs are starting up their own cable network called Marquee Sports Network. The Cubs had some or all of their games on WGN for 72 years. The Cubs nationwide popularity is owed to WGN back when they were a superstation and pretty much anyone could watch them across the country. Marquee is going to broadcast all Cubs games next year, but they haven't even started negotiating with Comcast, not sure if they've negotiated with anyone else. Looks like they want a $4 carriage fee, and I think Comcast is going to balk at that considering they're already losing subscribers. Dish is pretty much a non-starter I think, so Cubs don't have a whole lot of leverage over Comcast.

Personally, as a Cubs fan, I hope the whole thing crashes and burns, even if that means the Cubs take a huge financial hit and end up sucking for a few years because of it. I am not going to sign up for cable just to watch the Cubs.

This gives a pretty good summary of what's going on right now.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2019/09/21/marquee-sports-network-facing-uphill-climb-as-marketing-push-begins-in-earnest/

They picked a lovely time to start it with how the team is trending. Maybe this will get them to spend some more money. Because Comcast customers are probably not going to lose their poo poo over missing out on a .500 Cubs team. Now launching in 2017 would be another story.

Timby posted:

YES just sold for $3.5 billion. Those regional Fox Sports networks which are mostly smaller markets sold for $10.6 billion. And streaming services looking to get into live sports are always looking to invest.

Maybe they're not worth as much as people think, but the Cubs just created a billion dollar asset out of thin air.