Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I've been playing Reaper and just Shadow Stepping to flank the enemy so I can get in close from behind and quickly kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Heliotrope posted:

I've been playing Reaper and just Shadow Stepping to flank the enemy so I can get in close from behind and quickly kill them.

Same here, if by "quickly kill them" you mean "flail shotguns ineptly and then wraith form out"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Somehow despite being one of the absolute simplest heroes in the game I am completely inept at playing Reaper and it absolutely mystifies me

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's precisely because he's so simple. You can't do flashy bullshit like Genji or Tracer. You have one button for getting in OR out, not both, and it's pretty poo poo either way. You can't heal or go invisible or stay safe behind a shield or attack around corners or anything. You walk to knife range and hit shots or you die, and you'll probably die anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Reaper is the Winston of DPS heroes. Better hope your fundamentals are good!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are there any silver/gold goon crews playing regularly or is everyone hot poo poo these days?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’m gold/silver as hell but I don’t have many goon ow mates so add me at raphandz#1189

e: fixed tag

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 24, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Somehow despite being one of the absolute simplest heroes in the game I am completely inept at playing Reaper and it absolutely mystifies me

My problem is mainly knowing the exact range you can start firing which takes some time with the practice range to get used to.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’m gold/silver as hell but I don’t have many goon ow mates so add me at raphandz#1189

e: fixed tag

Sweet, added you, I'm sean#14289

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Sockser posted:

Yeah it seems like you just have to roll a Junk/Pharah and get behind the shields or maybe genii/tracer and just dash through but that feels futile and I’m bad at them

So I’ll just keep picking junkrat and try to flank the shields as best I can to little avail and then just go back to death match where I don’t have to deal with that

those are all extremely bad heroes in the meta so it's not surprising they aren't working for ya

current meta for dps is ideally some combination of reaper/doomfist/mei/hanzo: all four can get around shields fast and blap tanks down super fast. hanzo and reaper feast on orisa, mei and doomfist feast on sigma. ashe/widow/mccree also do pretty well depending on map or enemy comp, because the stationary and jerky repositioning nature of sigma/orisa shields means you have a lot of opportunities to snipe a healer or land your abilities on their group.

ultimately it's a tank's meta because the only way to fight this meta is to move into or past enemy shields, and that depends entirely on your team's orisa realizing they can push the w key and use their own shield to push instead of standing at the choke and shooting the enemy team's shields. I had a frustrating time off tanking this meta until I just gave in to main tanking orisa and pushing W and it's way way more fun now.

Minera fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 24, 2019

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
the junk-mei combo is not to be underrated. that pairing ensures mei gets a kill on every freeze and can keep reinforcements from returning as quickly as well as applying damage to the healers and tanks at the same time. junk plugging away from the back might not be that good but gently caress the meta he's still a tank buster.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Minrad posted:

ultimately it's a tank's meta because the only way to fight this meta is to move into or past enemy shields, and that depends entirely on your team's orisa realizing they can push the w key and use their own shield to push instead of standing at the choke and shooting the enemy team's shields. I had a frustrating time off tanking this meta until I just gave in to main tanking orisa and pushing W and it's way way more fun now.

This, in turn, relies on your dps not being timid little shits and also pushing W with you. If they're too scared to move up, or too tunnel visioned to stop trying to pop the shield you already bypassed, red team just runs through your shield same as you did theirs, and gibs you while you're alone. This is my constant Reinhardt/Orisa experience.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Reaper benefits from subtle efficiency moves that come from just playing him a bunch. Like knowing which warp lines to take to get the jump on the 2 stragglers, and using Wraith form not to escape, but to instantly reload and dodge a big ability in the process. As long as the guns are shooting and you just keep the meat of a big character in the middle of the monitor and there's no mei or moira sucking you, you can pretty much kill the whole team. Pressing Q when surrounded by moving figures also works well.

Is there a good website to dive into your OW stats like MasterOverwatch used to do? They all seem pretty broken. I guess Blizz must've changed the API?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I came back to try this game again and see what the new character is like. Shields were a problem before he came out, why did blizzard add yet another shield tank? Oh well maybe i'll come back in another few months if they nerf this dumbness. I'm sure there are counters etc, but its just unfun in every way to play against double shields.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I came back to try this game again and see what the new character is like. Shields were a problem before he came out, why did blizzard add yet another shield tank? Oh well maybe i'll come back in another few months if they nerf this dumbness. I'm sure there are counters etc, but its just unfun in every way to play against double shields.

lol you think its just double shields. my dude that poo poo can get up to quad shields.

Sym+Brig+ pick 2 Rein Orisa Sigma

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could have 6 shields pre role queue but that didn't mean people did it. orisa+sigma is played but brig isn't

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could have 6 shields pre role queue but that didn't mean people did it. orisa+sigma is played but brig isn't

Mostly because she got nerfed into the ground

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

In the gutter tiers she’s still really playable and fun and can have heaps of impact but it’s super niche and probably not optimal for climbing. I still reckon they’ve erred on the right side of caution and I say that as someone who basically escaped brig trauma by picking up the game right at the end of the goats meta

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

In the gutter tiers she’s still really playable and fun and can have heaps of impact but it’s super niche and probably not optimal for climbing. I still reckon they’ve erred on the right side of caution and I say that as someone who basically escaped brig trauma by picking up the game right at the end of the goats meta

Brigitte has already been "tuned" (read: nerfed) a couple times and it's been a while since I felt like she was the biggest problem on an enemy team. I think those changes had more to do with making her a purer support for role queue than with fixing any current issues in her balance.

And they didn't need to gut her shield from 500hp all the way down to 200 to do that. They cut her self-healing in half at the same time, so she wasn't going to be a brawler anymore regardless. Something like 300hp or 400hp on the shield could have still been a substantial nerf, without consigning her to certain and constant death.

I play in scrub tier so I don't know if these opinions hold true at higher ranks, but I will die on this hill.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 25, 2019

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The trick to not getting blown up is you basically never use the shield unless you’ve gone in on a shield bash and need to escape anyone with range outside of the fight or in your face that didn’t die. You don’t have a shield any more, you just have a big old sidearm stun that is also helps you escape

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Good news, shield lovers:
Winston's dome just got a duration and capacity buff on PTR

Winston

Barrier Projector

Duration increased from 6 to 9 seconds

Health increased from 600 to 700

Full patch notes: https://blizztrack.com/patch_notes/overwatch_ptr/1-41-0-0-62438?language=enUS

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 25, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Hey Blizzard what the gently caress

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Echo is the next hero. She is stuck in spawn the whole time, but can right-click to disable all enemy shields and/or put them on cooldown.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Give moira a shield

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Give moira a shield

:hmmyes:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Heliotrope posted:

Hey Blizzard what the gently caress

it is a weird time to buff him considering the only reason he's so bad is that orisa/sigma are too good. same with dva

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Given that this patch also nerfed Orisa and Sigma, I think this is an over all good patch. Winston shield is not the problem either way.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
winston shield needed a buff either way with the amount of dps power creep from goats

role queue should make everything easier to balance in the end, judging by those patch notes, but I guess they're gonna stick with the current power levels (as evidenced by a tracer buff (!!)) rather than try to peel things back to how they were a year or two ago.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish they'd just bite the bullet and rebalance all shield health

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Clowner posted:

I wish they'd just bite the bullet and rebalance all shield health

Honestly I think only Orisa and Brigette are in much need of changes in that regard, the former needs a slight nerf, and the latter needs a big buff

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/aeW2J2J.mp4
I got a 5.5 (my tire pushed someone into a hammond mine)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I report just about everyone who is a dick at all in chat and lately I've been getting some thanks for the report screens so I guess it's helping?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Have they just stopped doing the lootbox/25 coin incentives to play not-dps in QP/comp now? I tank main anyway so was appreciative of the daily bonus

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I got a looty b earlier today for playing tank in QP

edit: wait i think you're right i'm not seeing them anymore, this is bs

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 2, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It left then it came back.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've still been seeing them, they might be reducing their frequency though

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not got a thing from this event yet, did Tyreen and Pain/Terror in Mayhem, no legends at all.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not got a thing from this event yet, did Tyreen and Pain/Terror in Mayhem, no legends at all.

you're in overwatch not borderlands o.0

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

AkumaHokoru posted:

you're in overwatch not borderlands o.0

Explains why he's not getting the drops he wants!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The only drops I get are my SR heyooo