Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Kitchens is in the Chernobyl Cleveland control room :f5: the AZ5 button.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
New Hires:

Matt LaFleur - Packers - 3-0
Freddie Kitchens - Browns - 1-2
Bruce Arians - Buccaneers - 1-2
Kliff Kingsbury - Cardinals - 0-2-1
Vic Fangio - Broncos - 0-3
Zac Taylor - Bengals - 0-3
Adam Gase - Jets - 0-3
Brian Flores - Dolphins - 0-3

This is not a great group so far, Arians, Gase and Flores have the best excuses though

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Arians seems more likely to just retire again than actually be fired

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Arians needs to take play calling away from Leftwich. WTF Byron?

https://twitter.com/KevinColePFF/status/1176270431780835330?s=20

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DariusLikewise posted:

New Hires:

Matt LaFleur - Packers - 3-0
Freddie Kitchens - Browns - 1-2
Bruce Arians - Buccaneers - 1-2
Kliff Kingsbury - Cardinals - 0-2-1
Vic Fangio - Broncos - 0-3
Zac Taylor - Bengals - 0-3
Adam Gase - Jets - 0-3
Brian Flores - Dolphins - 0-3

This is not a great group so far, Arians, Gase and Flores have the best excuses though

What exactly is Arians' excuse?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This but for Flores. Dolphins are unprepared and unmotivated and he's been taunting his own players.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Are we talking their official excuses or what we know is going on?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jameis Winston is a pretty good excuse. Also they've been very competitive so far, they were down 20-17 until stupid bullshit late in the 49ers game, won a road TNF game, which is impressive by itself, and should've beaten the Giants (granted, missing the FG compounded by his dumbass decision).

Way better then the Buccaneers have been lately.

--------------------

On the other hand, the Dolphins played competitive football for a half against the Cowboys, so that's a step forward, but still if they're this bad, Flores has got to loving go at the end of the year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i hope the dolphins go 0-16

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arians was brought in to fix Jamesis and failing that find their next QB

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Arians was brought in to fix Jamesis and failing that find their next QB

My impression is that he's going to leave if he can't fix Jameis. I base that on nothing more than my gut feeling and his previous retirement.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't think Arians can be on any list for the simple reason that he doesn't give a gently caress and also he already holds most of the power in that organization

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ehud posted:

i hope the dolphins go 0-16

Look at this guy, wanting a parade.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Jameis Winston is a pretty good excuse.

His reason for arriving in Tampa was to work with Winston and take him to the next level, so that doesn't really hold water. And you don't earn popsicles for almost winning games you blew.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Earn popsicles?

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
weak is the man who lacks popsicles. deceived is the man who earns the popsicles. strong is the man who seizes the production of popsicles.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You gotta get at least 9 wins to spell out the hidden word from each popsicle stick

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

got any sevens posted:

You gotta get at least 9 wins to spell out the hidden word from each popsicle stick

YOUREGONE

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

got any sevens posted:

I❤️RUBMAPS

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/richeisenshow/status/1177624411756589056?s=21

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Wasn't there something about Snyder or Allens son being friends with Haskins?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wasn't there something about Snyder or Allens son being friends with Haskins?

Haskins played high school ball in the DC area so it wouldn't surprise me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haskins seems toolsy enough that if your season is in the toilet you could imagine coaching him up and it working out? Big arm, reasonably accurate, not apparently dumb. Moves like a cement truck but lots of good quarterbacks have had that trait.

Believe me I am incredibly hesitant to even possibly side with Washington's front office over anyone in the world.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if Gruden doesn't want to place Haskins because the Washington O-Line is a loving mess and he would get destroyed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gruden doesn't want to place Haskins because the Washington O-Line is a loving mess and he would get destroyed

I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to play Haskins because he's a stubborn rear end who didn't want them to pick him anyways and is convinced that his stable of inadequate white quarterbacks can do the job

Washington is a horrible team. It's absolutely time to bring in Haskins and see what he can do. I don't really think the chance of getting injured on a sack should be that huge of a consideration

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Haskins will tear his ACL on their lovely field and their lovely doctors will accidentally amputate his leg, which would still be a better fate than being the starting QB for Washington.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Everyone's reaction to the Redskins drafting Haskins was basically welp he's hosed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Washington may not technically be the worst team in the NFL, but they are without question the most hopeless team in the league, at least so long as Snyder is owner.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Miami is following a plan. it might not be a good plan, but they've got a vision for where they expect to be in 2-3 years and are working to make that happen.

The Jets are currently loving up a plan, but again, it's very easy to see how things go right there even if they're a mess currently.

Washington? They've got a coach they're going to fire, a bunch of expensive and aging veterans, a rookie QB they don't want to play, an aging, star left tackle that refuses to play, that they also haven't traded for picks when they could've gotten gold for him, and probably the most incompetent owner / gm combo in the league.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like whatever washington does after they fire gruden is going to be the wrong decision, they presumably paid bill callahan a ton of money to steal him away from the cowboys, and rob ryan/jim tomsula/ray horton were all head coaching candidates at one point, and then kevin o'connell/matt cavanaugh are both sean mcvey-adjacent coaches that the front office already sort of pissed off by shuffling between OC and 'senior offensive assistant'. I see like 2 or 3 of these guys staying

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Am I crazy thinking Jay Gruden could easily get another HC job if/when Washington fires him? I know odds are he goes straight to OC or something for John.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He'll probably get some interviews but he is the boringest of retreads with no playoff wins so my guess is he'll have to spend some time as an OC again.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

his offenses haven't been great and he's kind of an rear end in a top hat. there's plenty of mitigating circumstances but i think he's gotta have a prove-it year as an OC.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Am I crazy thinking Jay Gruden could easily get another HC job if/when Washington fires him? I know odds are he goes straight to OC or something for John.

Not crazy at all. If When he gets fired, people will look at the overall situation in Washington, involving Snyder and Bruce Allen, as well as poo poo like how they handled Kirk Cousons. He may not get another HC job with a decent franchise right away, but I can very easily see him going somewhere as an OC, having a good year or two like he did with the Bengals, and then being given a shot as an HC again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldn't mind the Jags kicking Jay's tires, tbh

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's gonna be funny when they hire a crappy McVay clone after they already had the real McVay in the building and let him get away.

ANYWAY:

WEEK 4 RANKINGS

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Pat Shurmur, New York Giants
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

BOB refuses to go away and I'm tired of talking about him, so he stays here for the foreseeable future (and the Texans are pretty good anyway). Shurmur probably bought himself another year or two depending on how Danny Dimes does. Patricia still isn't impressing me but if the Lions stay above .500, he's safe. Vrabel and the Titans will be in a world of hurt if they fall behind in an AFC South that's been more competitive than expected.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Adam Gase, New York Jets
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

Early returns have not been promising for this year's class. Kliffy's offense can be best described as "work in progress," LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers already look like an awkward fit, Kitchens is predictably in over his head, Gase is still Gase, and poor Brian Flores got stuck with the mortgage after a housing bubble crash. I'm not ready to predict any one-and-dones yet, though Kitchens is the obvious choice if the Browns continue faceplanting in what was supposed to be a win-now year.

MILD

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers -- There are plenty of reasons to think Tomlin is safe -- Big Ben's injury gives him the ultimate mulligan, he has the history and respect of his bosses, and he works for a proudly old-school organization that has literally never fired a head coach. They'll likely grit their teeth and go 6-10 and try again next year. But there's still a tiny part of my brain that can see the team completely bottoming out and Tomlin choosing his own fate with a "mutually agreed to part ways" scenario. It's probably not happening and maybe I'm just wasting words here, but we'll see.

Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- MinshewMania kinda feels like a forced meme to me -- I loved the guy at Washington State, but c'mon NFL media, get a grip. That said, he's one of the big reasons why Marrone's seat isn't hotter, the other one being a revived defense that stole Tennessee's lunch money last Thursday. The Jalen Ramsey saga still looms large over the franchise, but their season is far from over.

Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers -- It looked like the Panthers were dead and buried after starting off 0-2 and losing Cam Newton indefinitely. But Kyle Allen's shockingly great performance has given them a pulse again, and if he keeps it up, that could flip the narrative on their season. The NFC South is suddenly wide open with Brees out and the Falcons struggling (more on them in a minute), so Carolina has a golden chance to take advantage here. It would certainly cool off Ron's seat if Allen doesn't end up being a one-week fluke.

Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- Three weeks in and I still have the same questions about the Falcons. They're a Julio Jones miracle away from starting 0-3, and their two losses weren't nearly as close as the final scores indicate. This team just seems directionless right now, playing flat, uninspired football. Quinn will quickly move up the rankings if they don't improve, because there's too much talent to not at least be in the playoff picture.

MODERATE

I've been admittedly conservative on my rankings early on, with a lot of teams still in wait-and-see mode. So no Moderates this week, but that should change soon as the calendar flips to October.

SPICY HOT

Jay Gruden, Washington -- Monday's embarrassment should've been the end for Case Keenum, but it wouldn't be Washington without some good-old-fashioned front office drama. Supposedly Gruden isn't ready to throw Dwayne Haskins in there, while there are reports that he wasn't on board with drafting Haskins at all. It probably doesn't matter either way, because I'll be shocked if Gruden is still here by Thanksgiving. He's the early frontrunner to be the first midseason firing this year.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 28, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the only thing keeping Gruden hotter than Quinn is Snyder.

Quinn got to fire both his offensive and defensive coordinator and stick around. He has to be about dead at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

I think the only thing keeping Gruden hotter than Quinn is Snyder.

Quinn got to fire both his offensive and defensive coordinator and stick around. He has to be about dead at this point.

Yeah, Quinn and Gruden are toast. Kitchens is a likely one-and-done. Arians is old and mercurial and is a candidate for "mutually agreed to part ways." Also, Benne, I think you're being way too conservative with Gase and Fangio (the latter of whom looks to be completely overmatched and it makes me think there's a reason he whiffed every head coaching interview he got for years).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Fangio may get the benefit of the doubt for his long track record of being a great DC, and because Denver’s biggest issues are on offense. Unless they finish with 3-4 wins and are getting annihilated every week, he’ll get at least a second season like Vance Joseph did, if only because the only way Elway will never admit he made a bad choice that quickly is if it’s a massive and spectacular loving failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

A defense where Chubb and Von Miller have 0 sacks. Fangio should be 1 and done if this keeps up