Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I wonder if you could find something with higher cal/gram, possibly even dehydrated at a fancy dog food store. You’d want to make sure their tummy can handle it first of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thaddius the Large posted:

Random question, anyone have experience getting a harness for a dog with some carrying capacity? It’d be great if my guy could carry his own dang weight, so to speak, since his food alone probably clears 5 pounds easy, and I’d much rather he schlep it than me, if there are any recommendations I’m all ears.

I’m just imagining a pug strapped to a 30L with old timey pots and pans on the outside.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rolo posted:

I’m just imagining a pug strapped to a 30L with old timey pots and pans on the outside.

. . . I don’t have the pug any longer, but man I wish I did now!

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll let folks know how it goes. Hopefully better than his booties, which seemed like a great idea for rocky terrain, but after 18 months of trying are still more a distraction than anything else, since he’s still of a mind to chew them off at every opportunity.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thaddius the Large posted:

. . . I don’t have the pug any longer, but man I wish I did now!

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll let folks know how it goes. Hopefully better than his booties, which seemed like a great idea for rocky terrain, but after 18 months of trying are still more a distraction than anything else, since he’s still of a mind to chew them off at every opportunity.

I didn’t know you had one, it was just a good guess!

To be more constructive, I do know people whose dogs love carrying their packs because helping is like crack to them. Depends on the dog and breed I’m sure.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rolo posted:

I didn’t know you had one, it was just a good guess!

To be more constructive, I do know people whose dogs love carrying their packs because helping is like crack to them. Depends on the dog and breed I’m sure.

Yeah, the little wheezer enjoyed the outdoors, but was only good for about 30 minutes before he was beat. Now I’ve got a kelpie mix which, uh, putting it mildly does not have any such issue.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
When my husky was a puppy (1-5 years old) I would take her for a walk with her backpack on and random stuff put in it to "tire her out". Then I realized, I was only making her stronger!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hdip posted:

husky ... puppy ... "tire her out"

Yeah gl with that

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hdip posted:

When my husky was a puppy (1-5 years old) I would take her for a walk with her backpack on and random stuff put in it to "tire her out". Then I realized, I was only making her stronger!

Huskies love this.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Tell me about it. You notice I put puppy all the way until five. She’s so much calmer and easier now that she’s seven.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hook them up to a sled and hop on, let them do the hiking for you. I've heard they excel at this!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I did a little research a few years back when looking at ways to exercise dogs as a responsible pet owner. I'm actually kind of surprised dog carting isn't more of a thing for large breeds.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I did try bikejoring my husky. The problem is if it's over something super low like 70 degree's, it's just to hot for the dog to do it.

I also rode my skateboard with her until I fell and broke both bones out of my arm. Then it was just regular walks after I healed up :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

i want ursacks to be good, but they are not :(

For bears? Nah... I agree with the post above, bear hangs are useless for bears but mandatory everywhere else. If I’m someplace bears are an issue, I use the provided backcountry lockers or bear canister anything that smells.

However, the rodent proof Ursack Minor? Absolutely! I use that plus an odorproof liner ziplock for my food bag, and PCT hang everywhere.

I can confirm that the ursack minor indeed holds up to raccoons. Earlier this summer I was car camping and had my unsecured (got drunk and forgot to hang the bag) ursack kidnapped from the picnic table in the middle of the night because there was an open chip bag inside. Found it the next day about forty feet from camp with clear evidence of determined gnawing and scratching, but not a single tear in the bag. All my expensive gear was still inside, and the only food that got damaged and leaked was the already open chip bag, which was just due to carelessness on my part. The dehydrated meals were still uncompromised, though clearly not for the lack of trying:

(Woulda put the food in a cooler or car, but the site was a bit of a hike in)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Regarding dog packs, I use a ruffwear for my dog while we're doing 12 day trail work hitches, it works fine. I got her used to an empty pack because it'll rest funny on the front, and none of my 3 dogs have since chewed the packs off. I do use higher cal dog food and generally I water the food. I've had a lab and 2 35 pound mutts and they all have done comfortably with 10 days of dog food for themselves. None of the dogs were overweight though, if your dog is a fat gently caress I'd probably have them carry less. Waterproofing isnt very good on the ruff wears though and the dwr coating wears off in a month or so, so make sure to double ziplock dry food if they're gonna swim crossings.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking to up my car camping game... what’re your guys’ favorite thing(s) that you’ve bought for enjoying spending time outdoors?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Looking to up my car camping game... what’re your guys’ favorite thing(s) that you’ve bought for enjoying spending time outdoors?

beer

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I picked up an REI Camp Dreamer mattress to use instead of the standard .08” thick Thermarest I used to use. I can’t believe I waited so long to get something better. It’s got great insulation and is extremely comfortable.

But mostly:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bust out the heavier cooking gear and eat like kings

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Also food you wouldn’t normally backpack because of weight or other reasons.

Use it as an excuse to make a huge rear end egg, potato, meat breakfast. Wash it down with an ice cold beer because you brought a big rear end cooler.

E: ^^^ayy

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Bust out the heavier cooking gear and eat like kings

It's pretty much this. Car camping means you take food you wouldn't want to carry for a while and you can have a nice cooler.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Bikes! Kayaks! Slack Lines!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Use it as an excuse to make a huge rear end egg, potato, meat breakfast. Wash it down with an ice cold beer because you brought a big rear end cooler.

Even better, for long road trips get a thermoelectric cooler. Then you don't even need ice!

I've had a Dometic one for a few years and it's super useful. When I'm not vacationing it goes into my office at work so I don't have to rely on the communal fridge.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Car camping for me equates to mostly one thing: comfort. Cushy sleeping pad/mattress and pillow. Roomier tent. Chairs. Better food. Clean clothes. I can still go slimmed down as well but if it's an extended trip, being comfortable is nice.

A nice are mattress and camp chair are two of my biggest creature comforts.

Bringing a small table and real cooking gear makes coming much easier. One of those collapsible silicone tubs/sinks is really handy for food prep and dishes. A nice large cooler (not necessarily a yeti) is always necessary.

Cooking irons are worth their weight in gold and one of my favorite items for car camping along with hot dog sticks. So many possibilities from breakfast to savory and desserts. They are really easy to use. Lanterns are another thing that help at night especially for cooking. I still prefer gas vs battery but they're all pretty good now. Headlamps are always useful as well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stovetop milk steamer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Seconding cast iron everything, but I’ll throw in for a cot over a mattress, no pumping it up and it’s way more comfort in my opinion. No shared sleeping though, if that’s a concern.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

give me your hiker trash recipes. i want spammish rice, i want salmon ramen, i want the grit and i want it dirt cheap

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chard posted:

give me your hiker trash recipes. i want spammish rice, i want salmon ramen, i want the grit and i want it dirt cheap

Did you say instant mash potato, olive oil and curry powder + what ever you can find because you got it baby.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Brick of cheese, tortilla, avocado, hot sauce, Chicken in a pouch.

Stove top stuffing and mashed potatoes. You can add craisins for something extra.

Instant Tortilla soup just add water and boil, sprinkle with cheese. Add chicken if you want

Dehydrated/instant chili and Fritos, sprinkle with cheese and hot sauce. Put chili right into Frito bag.

Ramen with soy sauce and peanut butter and actual peanuts for Thai ish noodles. You can add chicken in a pouch if you want chicken.

Trying to think of anything else but honestly I've been eating pretty simple lately. Peanut butter and honey tortilla rolls are pretty solid.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Verman posted:

Brick of cheese, tortilla, avocado, hot sauce, Chicken in a pouch.

Stove top stuffing and mashed potatoes. You can add craisins for something extra.

Instant Tortilla soup just add water and boil, sprinkle with cheese. Add chicken if you want

Dehydrated/instant chili and Fritos, sprinkle with cheese and hot sauce. Put chili right into Frito bag.

Ramen with soy sauce and peanut butter and actual peanuts for Thai ish noodles. You can add chicken in a pouch if you want chicken.

Trying to think of anything else but honestly I've been eating pretty simple lately. Peanut butter and honey tortilla rolls are pretty solid.

You missed couscous + protein and seasoning

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chard posted:

Mix powdered eggs and powdered beans. Add hot water and packets of hot sauce. Weep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brick of ramen, half cup of freeze dried veggies, packet of tuna, and a bunch of your favorite hot sauce.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

Brick of ramen, half cup of freeze dried veggies, packet of tuna, and a bunch of your favorite hot sauce.

Hell yeah I do this too. You can get packets of spiced tuna that packs really easily.

Calories for the calorie god.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Buy some cheddar cheese powder, and mix it into everything. Basically mac and cheese sauce mix, just without the mac.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I can tell you guys from personal experience the ursack is pointless. We had a problem bear at work near Missoula, and she ended up both stretching the sack to approximately 150% of its normal size (it was initially tied to a tree) and then smashing everything in it to powder small enough so it would leak out the end. She was abnormal as I've never worked in an area so far from development/ extremely heavy use that had a habituated animal in active hunting territory, but I have no doubt anything interested enough would gently caress up anything you've got in one of them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Just finished a nice little weekend trip into Kawartha Highlands provincial park, 4 portages deep. An absolute motherfucker with our royalex 75lb whitewater boats, 100% we are renting kevlar boats if we do that trip again.

The Sawyer filter is awesome, filters so much faster than platypus and MSR filters even when using it as a gravity bag. But the squeeze bags are SO fragile, I had a 2L and the 500ml bags blow out on me with light squeezing. I have one of the new CNOC bags coming soon but if we hadn't had my buddy's MSR filter we'd have been stuck drinking boiled lake water.

I'm also firmly on the side of having camp slippers. I bring a pair of sneakers for site at night, but for post-swim and midnight pisses, I have an old pair of sanuks which are perfect.

As for cheap and dirty camp food; pizza wraps. I've mentioned them before.

Tortilla, canned pizza sauce, shredded cheese, pepperonis and whatever veggies you want. Wrap it up, wrap it in TWO layers of tinfoil and toss into a solid bed of coals. Turn every few minutes for melty goodness.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 30, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^I 100% agree, the Ursack Major is not adequate for protecting your food from bears, I would absolutely use a can of there are bears around. The Ursack Minor though is great for smaller critters in areas without bear activity

MA-Horus posted:

Just finished a nice little weekend trip into Kawartha Highlands provincial park, 4 portages deep. An absolute motherfucker with our royalex 75lb whitewater boats, 100% we are renting kevlar boats if we do that trip again.

The Sawyer filter is awesome, filters so much faster than platypus and MSR filters even when using it as a gravity bag. But the squeeze bags are SO fragile, I had a 2L and the 500ml bags blow out on me with light squeezing. I have one of the new CNOC bags coming soon but if we hadn't had my buddy's MSR filter we'd have been stuck drinking boiled lake water.

I'm also firmly on the side of having camp slippers. I bring a pair of sneakers for site at night, but for post-swim and midnight pisses, I have an old pair of sanuks which are perfect.

As for cheap and dirty camp food; pizza wraps. I've mentioned them before.

Tortilla, canned pizza sauce, shredded cheese, pepperonis and whatever veggies you want. Wrap it up, wrap it in TWO layers of tinfoil and toss into a solid bed of coals. Turn every few minutes for melty goodness.

Mmm... never had tortilla calzones... tortillas make excellent pizza crusts, but that’s a brilliant idea too. Pack it gourmet also has a decent margherita pizza wrap meal too.

Camp sandals are the best... my xeros go on every trip, though tbh they’re not great sandals... too flip floppy and don’t secure like my heavier chacos. One of these days I’ll find a good ultralight pair that’s good for hiking in case my trail runners blow out. You good have any recommendations?

Re: Sawyer filters—look into the BeFree. Same concept, but because the filler is inside the bag it goes 10x faster. It’s like a faucet, with very little effort. Plus the bags are way more durable. I use the sawyer bags for having extra capacity to mule clean water though, and they are cheap and excellent for that.

I love my Oru kayak because it’s stupid light and packable. Dunno if it would be adequate for your trip though, that sounds awesome!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't mind portaging. We just tried to save money by using our own boats, the sturdiness of whitewater boats were completely unnecessary for this easy of a trip. Entirely flatwater.

My dad was in Algonquin the same time we were in Kawartha, so unfortunately I didn't have access to his kevlar boat. Those things are a relative dream to portage.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone recommend a 35-40L compression dry bag? I can’t find anything bigger than 30 at REI and that’s just a hair too small.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Rolo posted:

Anyone recommend a 35-40L compression dry bag? I can’t find anything bigger than 30 at REI and that’s just a hair too small.

Not sure I've seen one that big. What do you need it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can a human body fold down to 40L?