Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I do not get why would Trump release whistleblowers report if it is bad to him. If the whitehouse was trying to block it last week because it was credible and serious, why release it today.

Their only hope is to control the narrative. This is Barr's summary, all over again. They're going to redact the report heavily in a manner that makes trump look innocent and release it to try and control how the public views it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I do not get why would Trump release whistleblowers report if it is bad to him. If the whitehouse was trying to block it last week because it was credible and serious, why release it today.

It’s probably bad, but they are relying on the base to listen to fox who will definitely spin it as no big deal. Or it’ll be edited in some way

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Whitlam posted:

Hey now.

Musical theatre nerds do too.

"The Ballad of Czolgosz" is one of my favorite tunes from that show :allears:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Spiffster posted:

I’m sure there are history buffs out there as well but hey, Everybody’s got the right to be happy :shrug:

:golfclap:

Does Trump have to/is he likely to testify at some point? That should be fun.

e:

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"The Ballad of Czolgosz" is one of my favorite tunes from that show :allears:

Same but also all of them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's no such thing as a transcript. Aides take notes on the call, they don't transcribe it. They typically leave it embarrassing stuff

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There's no such thing as a transcript. Aides take notes on the call, they don't transcribe it. They typically leave it embarrassing stuff

And i really wish the media would loving clarify that instead of priming everyone for "the transcript seems to exonerate the president!"

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

https://www.rferl.org/amp/why-was-ukraine-top-prosecutor-fired-viktor-shokin/30181445.html?__twitter_impression=true

It's from one of the better Western journalists that cover Ukraine (and who has covered the country for 5+ years ---- some of the recent stores are from people who haven't so are really clueless about sources).

Cool, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Rudy was just on Fox claiming the transcript was read to him. He said "if the President hadn't discussed the topics he discussed, he'd be a President like Obama."

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

What a loving day to unplug from the internet yesterday...

The Mattering has arrived it seems. Buckle up fuckos! Its gonna be a Christmas to remember!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There also aren't any tapes, apparently, per some twitter guy that used to work in IC. Trying to find the thread..

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shifty Pony posted:

I honestly believe that decades of using that as a defense has left the the GOP full of people who don't know that it is a bullshit cover story. They really think the Democrats constantly get away with much worse so they don't bother to hide what they are doing and are shocked when they get caught.

They absolutely do. It's also why they were rather ineffectual in passing even more terrible poo poo in 2017 and 2018 because many of them only really know how to block things and engage in theatrics.

The reason why most of the Tea Party candidates were so terrible is because they believed all of the BS told them about how congress worked and they tried to do those things when they won their seats.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1176704781534081028

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Rudy was just on Fox claiming the transcript was read to him. He said "if the President hadn't discussed the topics he discussed, he'd be a President like Obama."

:ironicat:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheCut/status/1176626122399932416

quote:

Early in the morning of Wednesday, November 9, Hillary Clinton called Donald Trump and conceded. After Trump took the call, Mike Pence leaned in to kiss Karen, but she rebuffed him. “You got what you wanted, Mike. Leave me alone.” Upstairs, at the Pence’s private suite — separate from the Trumps’ — he tried again for a victory kiss, and again she told him to back off.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Am I understanding correctly that the PRA does not cover phone conversations with foreign leaders/officials? Why would the law have such a glaring blind spot? That's got to be by design, but I can't see why though.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 25, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Aramis posted:

I am understanding correctly that the PRA does not cover phone conversations with foreign leaders/officials? Why would the law have such a glaring blind spot? That's got to be by design, but I can't see why though.
It's so they can do crimes.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

bobjr posted:

If the transcript doesn’t have weird Trump mannerisms I’m going to assume it’s edited in some way

Pretty sure any of us could figure out if it is edited with 100% accuracy. Trump can’t string a coherent sentence together without a teleprompter

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

cr0y posted:

And i really wish the media would loving clarify that instead of priming everyone for "the transcript seems to exonerate the president!"

That’s exactly how Reuters is covering it, fwiw.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
AOC introducing more cool and good poo poo. Some people forget that we don't need a Democratic President to introduce sweeping legislation. She moved the needle big time with the Green New Deal, so hopefully this does the same.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1176813597021720576

Also, wtf, that gigantic microphone and someone forgot to turn it on or what?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1176838156911546368?s=19

Also heres the thread about what is and isnt recorded and what not

https://twitter.com/LarryPfeifferDC/status/1176587533322342400?s=19

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LOL, of loving course. Thanks for confirming the report is bad for you, Trump, you loving moron.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

AOC introducing more cool and good poo poo. Some people forget that we don't need a Democratic President to introduce sweeping legislation. She moved the needle big time with the Green New Deal, so hopefully this does the same.

The pickups on the Blue Yeti are not at the top of it, and the ones at the back won't pick up anything depending on the pattern used. The microphone isn't set up right (it should be oriented more vertically). This isn't a dig, just an observation.

RandomBlue posted:

LOL, of loving course. Thanks for confirming the report is bad for you, Trump, you loving moron.

This explains why they were so quick to say they'd release it, they think they can just pass off a redacted or edited report/transcript. Of course as you said this only confirms the report is bad for the administration.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

skylined! posted:

There also aren't any tapes, apparently, per some twitter guy that used to work in IC. Trying to find the thread..
The U.S. might not have any tapes. Ukraine almost certainly does. Any news outlet worth their salt would have people over there looking for spikes in yacht sales to high-level Ukrainian officials and suicide rates for low-level government IT people.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Lol that’s a USB mic a lot of people use and you definitely don’t talk into the end like that.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

this is not surprising at all since the IC complaint presumably contains classified information. The unredacted compliant needs to be released to the house and senate intel committees though, as they're actually cleared to read classified info.
e: i'm also surprised that the whistleblower's counsel is moving so quickly to go to congress, I'd be worried about an unhappy justice department suddenly enforcing your classified NDA and going to helljail.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

A preview of the transcripts to come:

Edit: I’m bad at linking things.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ugh of course aoc would buy some $80 streamer mic and not some $600 professional microphone.

for real though, optimal distance from the yeti is like 1-4 inches and they sound great as long as you're super close.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ugh of course aoc would buy some $80 streamer mic and not some $600 professional microphone.

for real though, optimal distance from the yeti is like 1-4 inches and they sound great as long as you're super close.
Absolutely trash streamer setup, i'm cancelling my patreon contribution.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

You'll know the transcript is fake when the Ukrainian president starts crying and calling Donnie sir

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

She can't buy a shotgun mic because shes pro gun control

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

ought ten posted:

Lol that’s a USB mic a lot of people use and you definitely don’t talk into the end like that.

I’m sad that Microphonegate is going to sink AOC’s career. :(

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There are no (american) tapes of the phone call. Like the former offical on twitter upthread said, the White House decided it didn't like tape recordings anymore in 1974 :toot:

As for the written transcripts, those does not have any onus on them to record any specific words or sentences actually spoken during the call. The purpose is more... well, have a look at this documentary from 1986;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNKjShmHw7s

Fake e: that leaves the actual unredacted whistle blower report, and the actual whistle blower themselves witnessing to congress and senate, together with other witnesses saying exactly how and when Trump delayed and then released the aid to Ukraine.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

U.S. Representative whispers in your ear about expropriating Wall Street profits to fund a federal jobs guarantee [ASMR]

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Slowpoke! posted:

Pretty sure any of us could figure out if it is edited with 100% accuracy. Trump can’t string a coherent sentence together without a teleprompter

How dare you insinuate he doesn't have a big, beautiful, perfect phone call?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

ewiley posted:

i'm also surprised that the whistleblower's counsel is moving so quickly to go to congress...

I'm no expert on these things, but isn't this one of the biggest hints yet that whatever is in the full report is damning as all hell? That whoever the whistleblower is, they're ready to hit the ground fighting rather than sitting back and watching the whole thing play out. Or am I interpreting that wrong?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bird cooch posted:

So what do I get for you being wrong some more?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/impeaching-trump-on-russia-was-unpopular-will-ukraine-be-different/

Ignore the punditry, look at the pretty numbers.

that's the same numbers as supported impeachment after the saturday night massacre.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176848267759509504?s=19

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

popehat's retweeting some guy melting down hard about how hosed up it is that... somebody got caught doing racist tweets in the past

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176848192740065280

dunno why

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So Rudy was on fox this AM telling the world that he had the transcript read to him.

Before congress has seen any of the whistleblower report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

tek79 posted:

I'm no expert on these things, but isn't this one of the biggest hints yet that whatever is in the full report is damning as all hell? That whoever the whistleblower is, they're ready to hit the ground fighting rather than sitting back and watching the whole thing play out. Or am I interpreting that wrong?

Whistle blowing is hell in the best of circumstances. Coming at the president who has a rabid and insane violent fanbase makes it worse. That there is a whistle blower at all meant it was serious.