Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

The Delta Green adventure where turning on the LHC catapults us all into hellworld?
Actually ran this as a one shot for the GM and players from my current Masks campaign, was a really fun break from the 1920s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not gonna lie the appeal of running a game where flawed and damaged but heroic federal agents take on horrific conspiracies has dried up in light of the past two years.

That's why the correct way to do it is run campaigns where the agents are basically as evil as the mythos monsters or do ones that are strictly fictional scenarios for a role playing game and cannot be legally considered evidence of a criminal conspiracy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MizPiz posted:

That's why the correct way to do it is run campaigns where the agents are basically as evil as the mythos monsters

or... where the monsters are the good guys, but the players have to put some pieces together to realize this.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

Not gonna lie the appeal of running a game where flawed and damaged but heroic federal agents take on horrific conspiracies has dried up in light of the past two years.

But in the game you might actually win

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I need suggestions for a one shot, single session scenario for a Halloween game. Players are all well seasoned and have definitely seen all the usual starter scenarios (the Haunting, Edge of Darkness, Dead Mans Stomp, etc)

It would be over pc, so handouts shouldn't be hard to deal with. Era doesn't matter, but I'd prefer it to have premades so we can just hop in. We've all got Delta Green experience as well.

We're taking our annual break from other long session campaigns, and this time we're dropping off from the other BRP classic, Pendragon. A step down in complexity will work pretty well for a breath of fresh air.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
The go-to Delta Green intro scenario is "Last Things Last" in the free "Need to Know" introductory packet. You can find it on drivethrurpg or (I think) the Delta Green website.

It has pre-gens, it's not too long or complicated, and there's only a couple handouts. I've always had fun running it and things always go a bit wrong.

BLACKSAT from the recently released Control Group book is good for a one-shot. ArcDream has other good one-shot scenarios, depending on what you're interested in. You could also check out the shotgun scenarios on the Fairfield Project, which are free but might require a bit more prep on your part.
http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

And there's several adventures posted in this thread, if you go back through the last few pages.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Starting to read through the scenarios in Control Group. Black Sat looks like a fun oneshot. One thing that's not clear to me: Why would Col. Spay's player choose the abort to lower orbit option during launch? Maybe my reading comprehension is trash but the scenario doesn't lay out how that would help anything.

Are the all hardcover pledgers due any more books? It was forever ago and I forget what I'm still entitled to.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
There are still three more books coming from the Kickstarter: Deep State, Falling Towers and Impossible Landscapes.

Edit: nope, four. I forgot about Pisces.

Mr. Tambo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 20, 2019

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Starting to read through the scenarios in Control Group. Black Sat looks like a fun oneshot. One thing that's not clear to me: Why would Col. Spay's player choose the abort to lower orbit option during launch? Maybe my reading comprehension is trash but the scenario doesn't lay out how that would help anything.

Are the all hardcover pledgers due any more books? It was forever ago and I forget what I'm still entitled to.

It's worse in every way, no real reason other than it's a real thing so it's an option because it's really an option.

I'm still pissed they edited out the best line in that scenario which is:

If the hatch is closed, CAPCOM orders Spay to eject the kitchen heating unit and then activate it. Give him and McMillan INTx5 rolls to realize that this has a good chance of igniting the atmosphere in the mid-deck (which is, after all, almost all oxygen because of the camp-out). If they obey, it engulfs the mid-deck in flame, killing anyone outside the cockpit, and reduces all Pilot rolls by -20%, since the shuttle was not built to be flown while on fire.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 20, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Night Visions doesn't look very fun. The cult stuff is neat, but it really feels like a really on-rails "walk in under orders to check out this cult, get ambushed, probably die

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It feels like they were trying to do Kali Ghati again but do it right. Problem is the journey into darkness stuff and the lethality of DG don't mix that well.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Night Visions is pretty fun, I've played in it and ran it. When playing in it, it's all about playing up the interactions between the soldiers and getting some friction there. When running it, it's all about the slow boil of tension as the gath go from ally to enemy, potentially...I mean you can "win" by just going through with it and leaving in peace.

edit: I also really like how they abstracted the mass combat, it's something I've absolutely stolen for other things.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 21, 2019

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Am I missing a key chapter, or does the Call of Cthulhu 7th Ed Investigator’s Handbook have no information on how skill checks work or how sanity / health get impacted or whatever? Is it in an unexpected place or did they just...leave the mechanics out? :v:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Yes, the Keeper Rulebook is the core book with all the rules needed to play the game. The Investigator's Handbook is a player-facing book giving expanded character generation options.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
What is a good scenario for new players involving a haunted house? I just grabbed the investigator's book for my group, but neither of the included scenarios involve one. The reason we bought it was because we play the Mansions of Madness board game and thought it would be fun to use the tiles and models in an actual game.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

The Dregs posted:

What is a good scenario for new players involving a haunted house? I just grabbed the investigator's book for my group, but neither of the included scenarios involve one. The reason we bought it was because we play the Mansions of Madness board game and thought it would be fun to use the tiles and models in an actual game.

I ran The Haunting which is included in the quick start guide with a group of complete newbies (I was also a completely new Keeper) and everyone had a blast.

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131%20Call%20of%20Cthulhu%207th%20Edition%20Quick-Start%20Rules.pdf

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Dregs posted:

My players absolutely LOVED The Crack’d and Crooked Manse. The Mansions of Madness CoC scenario book has a lot of gems in it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Thanks guys. That Mansions book looks great! I'm gonna head to the LGS and see if they have it. If not, I'll run that Haunting. I am a little leery of it because one of my players is the curious type and dollars to donuts says he's already downloaded and read the free rules.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 25, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am checking out Delta Green because of the people talking about it in this thread. Am I wrong, or would it be perfect for running an XCOM campaign?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It'd work real nice for that purpose and most of the Delta Green material is pretty good except when they regurgitate racist tropes from Lovecraft uncritically.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Warthur posted:

It'd work real nice for that purpose and most of the Delta Green material is pretty good except when they regurgitate racist tropes from Lovecraft uncritically.

I have resolved to never involve Tcho-Tchos in any campaign I ever run and every Modern "immigrants are cutting people up and putting them in your lo mein!" scenario is responsible for that.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I am checking out Delta Green because of the people talking about it in this thread. Am I wrong, or would it be perfect for running an XCOM campaign?

MOON DUST MEN and its expansions MAJESTIC Overwatch, and Galileo Uplift are exactly this, allowing you to play the first responders to alien incursions, plan the defence against the aliens, and use your successes in the field at at budgeting to research alien technologies. It's straight-up X-COM, and I recommend combining it with The Fall of Delta Green to give a bit of crunch to the combat side of things.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am a bit confused. I thought DG was a supplement for CofC, but apparently it is its own thing? Kind of a bummer. it seems awesome, but I don't have 100 (plus whatever for supplements) bucks to shell out for it right now, especially since I just bought the Keeper's book for CofC and have yet to play it. I am super interested, though, and I'll definitely end up buying it if my group likes the new game. I am about tired of 5e. This thread is pretty exciting for me. I have never really explored Lovecraftian games before, and the wealth of information here is overwhelming.

(edit)
I just googled that majestic Overwatch thing, and it is apparently for a system called GUMSHOE? Is that a Call of Cthulhu thing as well? This is thoroughly confusing lol.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 25, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Dregs posted:

I am a bit confused. I thought DG was a supplement for CofC, but apparently it is its own thing? Kind of a bummer. it seems awesome, but I don't have 100 (plus whatever for supplements) bucks to shell out for it right now, especially since I just bought the Keeper's book for CofC and have yet to play it. I am super interested, though, and I'll definitely end up buying it if my group likes the new game. I am about tired of 5e. This thread is pretty exciting for me. I have never really explored Lovecraftian games before, and the wealth of information here is overwhelming.

(edit)
I just googled that majestic Overwatch thing, and it is apparently for a system called GUMSHOE? Is that a Call of Cthulhu thing as well? This is thoroughly confusing lol.

It started out back in the 90's as a COC supplement. While the percentile system in the newer standalone rules will be familliar, it adds and modifies some mechanics to do its own thing, most notably "bonds" with important NPCs (family, friends, church-- whatever you define for your character) that degrade as your job takes its toll, and the ability to become accustomed to the horrors of doing or having violence done to you, for better and worse.

The buy in for the slipcase set is steep, but the first hit to see if you want to take the plunge is free:
https://www.delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Dregs posted:

Delta Green is a 1997 supplement for CoC. Delta Green: The Roleplaying Game is a 2016 standalone RPG based on the 1997 book.

The Dregs posted:

(edit)

GUMSHOE is a rule framework that has been used in several games, among them Trail of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Confidential, and The Fall of Delta Green. The titles I mentioned are games that adapt the ideas of Call of Cthulhu (and Delta Green: the Roleplaying Game) to GUMSHOE.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

LatwPIAT posted:

GUMSHOE is a rule framework that has been used in several games, among them Trail of Cthulhu, Cthulhu Confidential, and The Fall of Delta Green. The titles I mentioned are games that adapt the ideas of Call of Cthulhu (and Delta Green: the Roleplaying Game) to GUMSHOE.

Does that mean it isn't too hard to use them as a supplement for Call of Cthulhu, since they use similar systems?
(edit) I guess not, since Wikipedia says GUMSHOE is a d6 system. Gonna check out those free rules.

Also, any of you guys playing either game online? I would love to try it as a player instead of as a GM.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 25, 2019

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, I would say check out the Moon Dust Men PDF since it's like $3 and just use the campaign framework without the crunch. CoC 7e pulls in a lot of the core ideas of GUMSHOE (ie. clues that are absolutely core to the advancement of the scenario are revealed automatically to people with the right skills, the Push system as an alternative to point spends) and the two systems can be converted to each other fairly easily.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

I have resolved to never involve Tcho-Tchos in any campaign I ever run and every Modern "immigrants are cutting people up and putting them in your lo mein!" scenario is responsible for that.
Chaosium seem to be coming around to a better way of handling them - ISTR there's a sidebar in a recent supplement (I think it's Peterson's Abominations) where they say that the "Tcho-Tcho" traits are a set of characteristics groups of people acquire as a result of them going insular and incestuous under the influence of Mythos deities and (it's implicated) genetically tampered with by them in order to make them better servants of the Old Ones. By that definition, those British aristocrats who were farming and eating humans like animals in their cellar in The Rats In the Walls are just as much Tcho-Tchos as, say, the tribal Spanish hill people who were the original worshippers of Chaughnar Faughn or the tribe in French Indochina from Derleth's original story about them.

In other words, it's not an ethnicity, it's a condition.

I'm not sure that stance is necessarily unproblematic, but it's a huge step up from "there's this one ethnicity which is intrinsically evil".

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Has there been any updates to the publication of Delta Green: God's Teeth? Last I knew it was attached to a kickstarter but I cant find any news on it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Has there been any updates to the publication of Delta Green: God's Teeth? Last I knew it was attached to a kickstarter but I cant find any news on it.
It's a stretch goal on The Labyrinth. They expect to put that out in PDF in November and hard copy in March, I would be surprised if God's Teeth preceded it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ah, I see. God's Teeth is easily my favorite story I've come across in the Delta Green/Cthulhu rpgs...guess I'll just have to listen through it again :)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
God's Teeth is in the revision stage right now - but the Delta Green editors have very high standards and Caleb has a day job so it'll get done when it gets done.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Chaosium recently released Berlin: The Wicked City for roleplaying during the Weinmar Republic.

https://www.chaosium.com/berlin-the-wicked-city-pdf/

quote:

In the aftermath of the Great War, Berlin has a reputation for licentiousness. A place where anything may be had for the right price. It is both a city of hedonism and a city of business; its streets overflow with disabled veterans, prostitutes, destitute immigrants, and political agitators—all rubbing shoulders with buttoned-down businessmen, scholars, and artists. The gutters run with the blood of political assassinations, where Communists and völkisch Nationalists clash with each other, as well as with the police. Long into the evenings, Berlin’s world-famous cabarets offer music, dance, and titillating entertainment in stark contrast to the gray buildings that run on for endless miles along the sprawling city’s byways.

Into this bubbling stew, Secrets of Berlin introduces the weird elements of the Cthulhu Mythos. A hotbed of occult organizations, strange cults, and half-whispered lore. Amid the wicked air of the world’s capital of sin, the very nature of what it means to be human is questioned. And, as the city hurtles toward its inevitable dark destiny, the oppressive atmosphere pushes the sanity of investigators to its breaking point.

I was turned on to an indy movie that successfully pulls of cosmic horror: The Endless (2018).

quote:

Writer/directors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead star as brothers who receive a mysterious message inspiring them to pay a visit to the [UFO] cult they escaped as children. As unsettling events and phenomena begin to occur, the brothers are forced to question whether the cult’s supernatural beliefs might not be entirely made up - and if, now that they’ve returned, they’ll be allowed to leave again.

The pacing and the successive revelations of weirdness are really well done. It inspires a sense of dread without gore.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHpWCN0byw

And lastly there is a CRPG that was just released on Steam called Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones.

The graphics remind me of an Edward Gorey painting.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIf2coOset8

Walkthrough Part 1, no commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nA_0mzsRKg&t=409s

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Does Berlin actually have interesting Cthulhu related stuff outside of the Scenarios (I.E. The Cults, Unique NPCs, Weird New Monsters, Interesting New Fictional Locations) or is it another one of those bad Secrets Of books that contains nothing but boring factual stuff that's actually poorly researched and you could find out with an online search anyways?

Also, DG contains rules for playing an ice officer so that should tell you if this game deserves to exist.

It's poo poo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheNamedSavior posted:

Does Berlin actually have interesting Cthulhu related stuff outside of the Scenarios (I.E. The Cults, Unique NPCs, Weird New Monsters, Interesting New Fictional Locations) or is it another one of those bad Secrets Of books that contains nothing but boring factual stuff that's actually poorly researched and you could find out with an online search anyways?

I just saw the book yesterday and skimmed it for 5 minutes. So I cannot answer your question with the detail it deserves.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheNamedSavior posted:

Also, DG contains rules for playing an ice officer so that should tell you if this game deserves to exist.

It's poo poo.

Gotta deepthroat those boots if licking doesn't suffice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Ultra Carp

TheNamedSavior posted:

It's poo poo.

DG was written before the 2016 election and our current hellscape, and ICE is one of literally two and a half dozen federal agencies that has rules available.

e: Also the idea that the writers of DG are somehow crypto chuds is hilarious if you've ever taken a look at Shane Ivey or Dennis Detwiller's twitter.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 27, 2019

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: Also the idea that the writers of DG are somehow crypto chuds is hilarious if you've ever taken a look at Shane Ivey or Dennis Detwiller's twitter.
The Fall of Delta Green guy, Ken Hite, sounds like a libertarian based on his views on "big government", Johnson and the 60s.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah it's a common bit of a joke that there's a line in the 2016 Agents Handbook that suggests ICE as a nice low profile, mostly unknown agency to play an agent from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I follow Detwiller on twitter he strikes me as one of them Mueller Is Gonna Save Us natsec hashtag resistence centerlibs.

Dismissing the game cause it has rules for playing as an agent of the child prison agency in addition to the civil rights leader blackmailing agency, the warrantless surveilance panopticon agency, the blacksite torture agency, not to mention the wedding-bombing military seems to be missing the point.

ACAB, especially whatever dumbass cop you wrote on your character sheet. If your handler makes the impunity and corruption seem COOL they are running it wrong IMO.