Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

NienNunb posted:

Life to from Goldballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The standing around naked thing is a bit much for me. I mean, for pete's sake there are kids there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe they’re also conveniently covered from every viewing angle in universe too.

That could be someone’s power.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

The standing around naked thing is a bit much for me. I mean, for pete's sake there are kids there.

Eh, it's non sexual, you're allowed to be naked in the street in SF as long as you ypu aren't doing anything lewd, we take children to museums with nudity all the time.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe they’re also conveniently covered from every viewing angle in universe too.

That could be someone’s power.

Unfortunately Krakoa also has mutants with anime avatars complaining about mutant censorship powers, meaning it too has already failed as a culture.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1175613077292818432?s=21

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I honestly liked the characterization of Alex being a lovely, "I don't see race" kind of guy. Not that that's what Remender was going for, but hey, whatever.

It made for a neat moment in Uncanny, I think, when Kitty and the others are watching the speech and going "that's some bullshit."

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

We Got Us A Bread posted:

This is more of a hard reboot with Hickman characteristics. As in, Hickman has the keys to the X-Men now, and is free to pick and choose what he wants to keep as canon, and rewrite/massage events that happened as he needs to.

Part of me wonders, given Charles not quite being himself, and Moira missing....and that they specifically called out "no experiment has been done on what happens when you put a mutant mind in a body that's not it's own"...if Charles isn't so much Charles as either a Charles/Moira hybrid or Moira in Charles's body. Some of the poses that Charles is drawn in come off as more feminine than masculine, like with the stroking of Cyclops's face, and lord knows, Hickman loves small details like that. I wonder if it's more "no KNOWN experiment has been done....", because only Charles and Moira know about it, and what we're seeing now isn't "Xavier's dream for mutants", it's Moiracharles's, or just Moira's, and that's why things seem off. It would also add context to Charles's "No more..", as while i'm sure that having to psychically rebuild people sucks, Moira has a reason to say "No More", as in "No more lives to get this right", or "No more failures" in an "thank god, I might have finished my work" way.

Saw a similar theory over on Reddit. Strong suspicion it's some variant of this - Cerebro may figure into it somehow as well (eg Moira may be in Cerebro and there's some kind of joint control or merged consciousness running things). I suspect Sinister has some long-term plot going on here but I'm not sure what there, either. Saw someone suggest Sinister might be masquerading as Nimrod or something like that, since they seem to be behaving similarly erratically. I don't read X-Men books very often, but perhaps more experienced readers here can tell me - is Sinister's campy behaviour as weirdly out of place as it seems to be to me? Hickman himself wrote Sinister totally differently and much more seriously (if sadistic) in Secret Wars, so I have to suspect something extremely weird is up with him...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

His Sinister wasn’t much different at all in Secret Wars.

Waiting for Madelyne Pryor to come back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It seemed relatively similar to his characterization in Secret Wars and a direct continuation of how he acted in Kieron Gillen's Uncanny run.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Maybe my memory's off. I remember him being sadistic but not campy in Secret Wars. I have Gillen's run but haven't read it; I'll do that now and maybe this will fill in some blanks for me... I'm also a bit confused how that one Sinister killed the other Sinister with what looked like a normal gun (see also: Lex Luthor's power armour not defeating a small handgun's bullets when his sister shot him).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

your memory is way off. he's super campy but also... sinister.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Neurosis posted:

Maybe my memory's off. I remember him being sadistic but not campy in Secret Wars. I have Gillen's run but haven't read it; I'll do that now and maybe this will fill in some blanks for me... I'm also a bit confused how that one Sinister killed the other Sinister with what looked like a normal gun (see also: Lex Luthor's power armour not defeating a small handgun's bullets when his sister shot him).

Who said the OG Sinister died? He just got shot, is all. Maybe the Sinister Groupthink believes that any Sinister dumb enough to let another Sinister sneak up behind him with a gun doesn't deserve to be the Sinister In Charge anymore, so when that Sinister regenerates and sits back up they're all going to laugh at him and tell him he has to work in the kitchens or something.

.....honestly I like this idea more, I am going to consider it to be true no matter what the facts say

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Who said the OG Sinister died? He just got shot, is all. Maybe the Sinister Groupthink believes that any Sinister dumb enough to let another Sinister sneak up behind him with a gun doesn't deserve to be the Sinister In Charge anymore, so when that Sinister regenerates and sits back up they're all going to laugh at him and tell him he has to work in the kitchens or something.

.....honestly I like this idea more, I am going to consider it to be true no matter what the facts say

... That'd make perfect sense. Also after reading volume 1 of Gillen's run, yeah, okay, he's pretty loopy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't we all think of the fuckin' children in this new society we're building and make sure to apply American puritanism regarding sex and sexuality?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think "cover up that dick" is an exclusively-American standard of puritanism, but they did make Emma Frost an authority figure on the island so that's probably a lost cause already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, it was really weird that they didn't get some clothes on first. It's not like taking part in this society means they just abandoned the concept of modesty.

Unless all of them just happened to be exhobitionists and it was a happy accident.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think "cover up that dick" is an exclusively-American standard of puritanism, but they did make Emma Frost an authority figure on the island so that's probably a lost cause already.

Emma is as covered as she’s ever been now. This is obviously on Proteus, who just hangs out naked anyway.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Who knew that a team that spent 90% of their adult life in skintight latex costumes would be fine with nudity.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Considering the way most mutants look, most mutants are probably very body positive and probably wouldn't be too concerned with a little nudity is probably the Gooniest thing I've ever thought to post.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I guess most of them lived through Claremont, nudity's old hat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Paige and Warren once hosed in front of her family, so walking around naked is nothing to them

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Paige and Warren once hosed in front of her family, so walking around naked is nothing to them

goddammit austen

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

See, 'She Lies With Angels' is CLEVER, get it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe this is what they were doing when they got blown up off-panel during the Mothermold mission?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Maybe this is what they were doing when they got blown up off-panel during the Mothermold mission?
Honestly there have been so many panels where they’ve been next to each other in HoX. As the most hated X-couple this has to be a conscious decision by writer or artist. Everyone else seems to completely ignore that run ever happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch Hickman make the scene retroactively central to the XMen mythos

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ImpAtom posted:

Watch Hickman make the scene retroactively central to the XMen mythos

Their loving is stuck in a timeloop and creates the eggs that Goldball produces.

THAT'S HOW MUCH loving IS GOING ON.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I guess most of them lived through Claremont, nudity's old hat.

Storm using the weather to shower while flying a few hundred feet in the air was, um, formative, for young me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/1176332896522686464?s=21

Free thighs for a free people

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I get that this is all supposed to be a culty thing but it's still weird reading X-Men where the only characters whose voices sounds "in-character" are like, Wolverine, Emma Frost, and then every villain.

Although I guess I haven't read nearly as much X-Men as the rest of this thread and Storm speaking in great big grandiose speeches is actually a return to form.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Although I guess I haven't read nearly as much X-Men as the rest of this thread and Storm speaking in great big grandiose speeches is actually a return to form.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sooooo... is the fact that Sinister didn't show up in this issue despite being on the cover AND the blurb just a bait and switch? Or does this mean that something s...trange is going on?

EDIT: Oh, he's on a single panel. Still.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 25, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The real treat is Namor doing Namor things and the beginning of revealing the council which holy poo poo Charles bringing Shaw into the fold is insane along with everything else. Charles looked downright evil asking Forge to make a new Cerebro.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Oh c’mon, just tell me who’s in the drat quiet council.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

I'm guessing it's literally just the Hellfire Club, same titles and all.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm guessing it's literally just the Hellfire Club, same titles and all.

With Apocalypse and Sinister. Hell, why not toss in the Shadow King, Juggernaut, and Stryfe while they’re at it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CubanMissile posted:

I am going to guess Moria and Storm are involved

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's hilariously short sighted that Emma still cares about money and contracts with this new society. Forge by himself could just go out tomorrow and start a telco named Forge Wireless that offers 100 Gb symmetrical wireless internet that covers the planet and be rich enough within a year to make every mutant on the island a millionaire if he wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Three guesses who’s on the Summer branch of the council