Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of the Battle Royale, is that strictly a multiplayer mode, or can you setup a single player version with AI players? I know the AI isn't nearly as good or fun to play against as real people, but I don't like many real people.

You can start a multiplayer game but with the other players set to AI. But don't bother, unless you want to spend half an hour searching the edges of the map for wherever the AI has decided to camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

John F Bennett posted:

Looks like the PS4 version comes with all expansions.

nope, just that the expansions all come together as one separate purchase. which is still probably a nice deal.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I just had Canada win a diplomatic victory on me on Emperor. I was focused on science and expected the other nations to vote for reducing the points, but Canada always won. very surprising

cams
Mar 28, 2003

they've also announced that the expansions should be coming to switch later this year, but nothing at all about the cost/delivery method. i imagine some sort of digital only expansion pass, but we'll see.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I played a few games of Red Death tonight, it's a lot of fun and a perfect breather from real civ. The games are short so you can do about 5 an hour I'd say. Whether you do well or not really seems to come down to luck of the spawn since you can either start far from the red death surrounded by cities or you can spawn on an island and spend the game desperately swimming for your life. Once the red has you it's basically over though, unless your settler is tied to a helicopter and you have the perk that it shares it's movement points.

One game I spawned by myself in the safe zone and spent most of the game collecting loot and xp until everyone who survived that long made their way to me. I still didn't win though since somebody picked up a nuke along the way and my units were unfortunately somewhat clustered so I still don't know what the actual endgame looks like.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 24, 2019

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

So i bought the expansions and dlc last night and am getting a weird error i cant find through google.

my mouse is pointing at things higher than it in the main menu, I cant change the resolution in game because the confirmation box is at the bottom of the screen and my mouse stops there.

The base game worked for me several years ago. Now the main menu buttons are cropped at the top. I think trying to set the resolution with steam launch options just bonces off the pre launcher screen and dosn't work.

Running win7 with a nvidia card with up to date drivers.

Star Frog fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 25, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well just hope you haven't spent two hours trying to fix this problem :unsmigghh:

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

well yeah, is that the cut off on steam refund? ide rather the game was playable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

So i bought the expansions and dlc last night and am getting a weird error i cant find through google.

my mouse is pointing at things higher than it in the main menu, I cant change the resolution in game because the confirmation box is at the bottom of the screen and my mouse stops there.

The base game worked for me several years ago. Now the main menu buttons are cropped at the top. I think trying to set the resolution with steam launch options just bonces off the pre launcher screen and dosn't work.

Running win7 with a nvidia card with up to date drivers.

Find where the game’s .ini/config files are and delete them. This fixes lots of weird poo poo for lots of games, especially moddable ones. Speaking of mods, uninstall all mods if you have any just to rule them out.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

Find where the game’s .ini/config files are and delete them. This fixes lots of weird poo poo for lots of games, especially moddable ones. Speaking of mods, uninstall all mods if you have any just to rule them out.

Thank you!
found the AddOptions.txt file which people said was the config.ini file and deleted it, reload and everything seems to line up fine and look good. Now to dive into two new expansions worth of content.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Billy Jo Robidoux posted:

Thank you!
found the AddOptions.txt file which people said was the config.ini file and deleted it, reload and everything seems to line up fine and look good. Now to dive into two new expansions worth of content.

Awesome, glad it worked out!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I don't think I've ever built a railroad in Civ 6, because it seems like a huge resource cost for what you'd get. Anybody find them worthwhile?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
They don't cost any upkeep, at least, and it's a few Era points if you need them!
Plus, well, I just like building railways to be honest.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

showbiz_liz posted:

I don't think I've ever built a railroad in Civ 6, because it seems like a huge resource cost for what you'd get. Anybody find them worthwhile?

By the time I get it Im usually swimming in iron and coal, so for me they are basically free

The real cost is in time and clicks, sometimes I dont build any just cause is too much effort

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

So is this game any good yet? Vox Populi continues to get updated and feels a hell of a lot more fleshed out, even when compared to a year ago, and I've been wondering if any of the stuff introduced in the expansions have done anything to alleviate the underlying problems with VI.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Victory Position posted:

So is this game any good yet? ...I've been wondering if any of the stuff introduced in the expansions have done anything to alleviate the underlying problems with VI.
Depends what you mean by "underlying problems", but I'd say the general consensus is no. The stuff added in the expansions is not exactly lipstick on a pig, but in general they add new gameplay elements without modifying anything fundamental. Religion is still not fun, espionage, trade routes, and the late game in general are still a slog. The AI is still bad at combat. The new stuff in the expansions are fun and cool and add interesting elements, but if you're not a fan of the base game they probably won't save it for you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If you think Vox Populi is good, your quality detection is fatally flawed

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

sim posted:

Depends what you mean by "underlying problems", but I'd say the general consensus is no. The stuff added in the expansions is not exactly lipstick on a pig, but in general they add new gameplay elements without modifying anything fundamental. Religion is still not fun, espionage, trade routes, and the late game in general are still a slog. The AI is still bad at combat. The new stuff in the expansions are fun and cool and add interesting elements, but if you're not a fan of the base game they probably won't save it for you.

Religion is terrible, and late game is a slog (but so it was on Civ 5), but I disagree on trade routes and espionage: espionage is better than it was on Civ 5, and trade routes are the same

The biggest problem to me is the AI, who is very bad at not only combat, but everything else too (diplomacy, city building). Also the world congress is terrible

But despite all that, I do think the game is good, I have some hundreds ours of fun on it and Im still having more, and I actually think is better than vanilla Civ 5 already. Cant say anything about Vox Populi, never played (wont work on the linux version)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

By the time I get it Im usually swimming in iron and coal, so for me they are basically free

The real cost is in time and clicks, sometimes I dont build any just cause is too much effort

But don't they expend civil engineers after only two hexes of railroad? That's a lot of production and/or gold (unless I'm totally wrong about that).

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

showbiz_liz posted:

But don't they expend civil engineers after only two hexes of railroad? That's a lot of production and/or gold (unless I'm totally wrong about that).

Last time I tried building a railroad didn’t cost a charge, same way builders work repairing pillaged stuff I think?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I like Civ 6's trade routes a lot more because if you play a certain way you can rack up like 20 of them. My favorite way to go for a Science victory is to get both a Commercial and a Science district in each city, make a ton of money from trade routes, and then in late game take alllll my trade routes and point them at my spaceport city. The production boost is unbelievable.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Last time I tried building a railroad didn’t cost a charge, same way builders work repairing pillaged stuff I think?

well gently caress me

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, it doesn't costs any charges, 1 military engineer can put railroads in your whole civ

And yes, trade routes are actually better on Civ 6 since at least you can get a ton of then, if you want

One thing is worst. though: you can't sort that drat available trade routes list to easily find the most profitable ones, you have to scroll that huge list eveytime searching manually

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

espionage is better than it was on Civ 5

very wrong, espionage is one of the few things that truly peaked on Civ 5.

Civ 6 gives you more to do with spies but that != better.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, it doesn't costs any charges, 1 military engineer can put railroads in your whole civ

And yes, trade routes are actually better on Civ 6 since at least you can get a ton of then, if you want

One thing is worst. though: you can't sort that drat available trade routes list to easily find the most profitable ones, you have to scroll that huge list eveytime searching manually

Im pretty sure you can list the routes by yield.

And as for railroads i love them, especially during war. Can move units to the front instantly.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Elias_Maluco posted:

You can easily sort possible trade routes by gold, food, production, whatever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Victory Position posted:

So is this game any good yet? Vox Populi continues to get updated and feels a hell of a lot more fleshed out, even when compared to a year ago, and I've been wondering if any of the stuff introduced in the expansions have done anything to alleviate the underlying problems with VI.

I have played both and Civ6 is awful compared to Civ5VP - but i don't have either of the Civ6 expansions so i can't speak to them.

Byzantine posted:

If you think Vox Populi is good, your quality detection is fatally flawed

If I recall the only complaint you've ever expressed is that the dromon is no longer unique to the Byzantines, the only Civ you ever play :colbert: (seriously what's with the Byzantine obsession)

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 26, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Straight White Shark posted:

I personally feel Espionage was best in Beyond Earth, but 5 and 6's versions are otherwise pretty solid compared to a lot of other games. BE had a bunch of solid mechanics ruined by the whole of the game being far, far less than the sum of its parts.

Anyways, I'd say comparing Civ VI's components to its predecessor in my opinion rate as such:
Trade routes: A bit better but nothing to write home about.
Player expansion and growth: way better
Religion: More complicated but ends up being "same but dumber".
Uniqueness and creativity of civs: There's a few meh ones but overall massively better.
World Congress: What the gently caress is this stupid mess? No, seriously, who thought this setup was a good idea?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

civ 5 espionage with more options would be juicy though. i might be three tech eras ahead of napoleon but i sure would like to put his collection of classical art in my hermitage

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chad Sexington posted:

You can easily sort possible trade routes by gold, food, production, whatever.

Where? Cant believe Im missing that

Nah, it is a lot more fun that we can do stuff like sabotage, great work stealing and etc.

I could be improved by making counterspy always city-wide, its too much micro to have to choose what district to protect

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 26, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alkydere posted:

I personally feel Espionage was best in Beyond Earth, but 5 and 6's versions are otherwise pretty solid compared to a lot of other games. BE had a bunch of solid mechanics ruined by the whole of the game being far, far less than the sum of its parts.

Anyways, I'd say comparing Civ VI's components to its predecessor in my opinion rate as such:
Trade routes: A bit better but nothing to write home about.
Player expansion and growth: way better
Religion: More complicated but ends up being "same but dumber".
Uniqueness and creativity of civs: There's a few meh ones but overall massively better..
World Congress: What the gently caress is this stupid mess? No, seriously, who thought this setup was a good idea?

Agreed. Particularly the bewilderingly, infuriatingly, disastrously awful World Congress.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
civ really did cap religion at 4. maybe if they kept founding, but made it a catch-em-all situation instead of an exclusivity race. like hell yes we want zoroastrianism in this city too. i like my pagodas and i will love having your cathedrals

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Civ 6 suffers greatly from having an AI that can’t handle districts, the core city-building mechanic of the game. The combat AI in 5 was as poo poo as it is in 6, but at least the AI could take a crack at having a functioning economy in 5. In 6 the AI just spams holy sites and never grows enough to build any other districts. It puts a damper on conquest because captured cities are dogshit compared to the most mediocre player-built cities.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Alkydere posted:

Uniqueness and creativity of civs: There's a few meh ones but overall massively better.

This is the great tragedy of the game for me. The civs are generally really interesting but the game doesn't allow for specialization strategies in a way that compliments.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BBJoey posted:

Civ 6 suffers greatly from having an AI that can’t handle districts, the core city-building mechanic of the game. The combat AI in 5 was as poo poo as it is in 6, but at least the AI could take a crack at having a functioning economy in 5. In 6 the AI just spams holy sites and never grows enough to build any other districts. It puts a damper on conquest because captured cities are dogshit compared to the most mediocre player-built cities.

Yeah, and I would say thats even worst than being bad at combat. It seriously handcaps the AI even in higher difficulty settings. Late game any player with a basic understanding on how cities work will have lots of huge cities putting great amounts of science, gold, production, everything. The AI will have a 12 pop capitol and a dozen of one-digit pop cities and of course cant compete even cheating like hell

And a lot less understandable too. Ok, turn-based combat on a hex grid on that scale, it must be very hard to program. Developing a city in Civ 6 is more complex than ever, true, but come on, is not that hard.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 26, 2019

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Also it makes conquest annoying because AI cities suck rear end

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I really enjoy the game, I love trying to maximize the value of the districts and planning out my cities to have insane Industrial Zones, or space for wonders or what have you.

That being said, the difficulty curve of the game (especially on Deity) is a slide. The game is by far at its most challenging for the first 50 turns , it hits a sweet spot between 51 and 149, and then from turn 150 onward you've already won.

Until about turn 50 the AI's bonuses really stack up against you, they are out producing you, and the relative strength of enemy civs and barbs are at their greatest relative to yours.....if you are going to lose, this is probably when you will actually fail out.

Turns 51-149 you start eclipsing the AI in some categories. Human planning being superior to the AI really begins to stack up. You might have to mobilize some forces to take out Korea before their science gets to far ahead, but outside of potentially going to war with some runaways, you should start to pull ahead in at least 1 if not more categories (science, culture, faith production, military power, etc.) compared to the AI.

At about turn 150 you are vastly ahead in at least 1 category and likely ahead in all. The AI simply can't keep up and all you really have to do is click next turn, and maybe generate a few inquisitors if you fear an enemy AI's religious win. (or sleepily conquer cities if you are going for domination)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 26, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, and I would say thats even worst than being bad at combat. It seriously handcaps the AI even in higher difficulty settings. Late game any player with a basic understanding on how cities work will have lots of huge cities putting great amounts of science, gold, production, everything. The AI will have a 12 pop capitol and a dozen of one-digit pop cities and of course cant compete even cheating like hell

And a lot less understandable too. Ok, turn-based combat on a hex grid on that scale, it much be very hard to program. Developing a city in Civ 6 is more complex than ever, true, but come on, is not that hard.

It is an astonishingly easy fix, too. There are some endemic problems with the AI's district management that would take some work (they seem to pick districts based largely on yields and have no concept of "maybe I should suck it up and build a +1 district I need for utility reasons") but you can build a considerably more competitive AI within like 10 minutes of looking into Civ 6 modding just by de-valuing their weighting for faith.

One of the reasons that the AI seems to have quietly gotten easier with later expansions/patches is that they added in a bunch of new agendas, which dilutes the pool of hidden agendas so that "likes science/gold/production" agendas don't come up as often. In the base game it used to be you'd see 1-2 of those a game, and they would usually turn into halfway competent AI civs because their blind flailing would at least be channeled towards something useful. In the absence of those the AI just builds holy sites and farms everywhere and gets left behind.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

It is an astonishingly easy fix, too. There are some endemic problems with the AI's district management that would take some work (they seem to pick districts based largely on yields and have no concept of "maybe I should suck it up and build a +1 district I need for utility reasons") but you can build a considerably more competitive AI within like 10 minutes of looking into Civ 6 modding just by de-valuing their weighting for faith.

One of the reasons that the AI seems to have quietly gotten easier with later expansions/patches is that they added in a bunch of new agendas, which dilutes the pool of hidden agendas so that "likes science/gold/production" agendas don't come up as often. In the base game it used to be you'd see 1-2 of those a game, and they would usually turn into halfway competent AI civs because their blind flailing would at least be channeled towards something useful. In the absence of those the AI just builds holy sites and farms everywhere and gets left behind.

When they build farms. In my experience, AI civs leave most of their land just undeveloped

I dont think is just a matter of choosing districts badly: because of the housing mechanic, you have to develop your tiles, all of them, or city growing will soon halt. The AI dont do that, not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, it is a lot more fun that we can do stuff like sabotage, great work stealing and etc.

I could be improved by making counterspy always city-wide, its too much micro to have to choose what district to protect

These things are fun to do to other civs and terribly unfun to have done to you--and there are potentially way more enemy spies doing unto you than you have spies to do unto them. It's a net negative for the game even before you take into account how much micro they take, and the only reason it's tolerable is that by the time spies come online you're already leaving the AI in the dust.

Civ 5 espionage is the best for the same reason that Civ 4 religion is the best: it's not a zero-sum game.