Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had the part of this that starts at 0:26 as one of the alarms on my phone since that instrumentals album came out a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-JqooVjfs

The instrumentals are so loving good. Makes you appreciate the album versions in a whole new way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

I was actually speaking to some older dude the other day at a music event who used to roam the New Orleans gay scene, and he told me that Trent is really, really gay (more so than straight). Not that it matters, but think there is any truth to it?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey we all did crazy things on speedballs

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

I was actually speaking to some older dude the other day at a music event who used to roam the New Orleans gay scene, and he told me that Trent is really, really gay (more so than straight). Not that it matters, but think there is any truth to it?

:nws: Exhibt A: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRc34S49y60
Any one in any arts field is generally suspect stereotypically. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anonymous John posted:

This makes 'Big Man with a Gun' make so much sense!

Also, yay for gay (well, I guess bisexual) Trent! :toot:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous John posted:

gently caress no dude, have you heard the music he makes?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dare anyone to even attempt explaining vessel as anything other than Reznor being bisexual

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Donovan Trip posted:

I dare anyone to even attempt explaining vessel as anything other than Reznor being bisexual

Oh, I just assumed it was about drugs, because having a sex and thinking “I am turning into god” is a bit too much in my book.

Edit: not changing that typo

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 23, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah it's straight up about one of the drugs in the YZ arg

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
or he tacked on some stuff at the very end of the lyrics to make it fit because he's a genuinely lazy lyricist (as much as I love him)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

polyester concept posted:

yeah it's straight up about one of the drugs in the YZ arg

Yeah, it's this.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm certainly not gonna die on the hill of what I think TR's true sexual preference is, because I don't even know the guy. But the way I see it, an artist sometimes explores ideas or feelings that aren't necessarily his own. Of course, if they're repeatedly drawn to a certain idea then you have to wonder why. But it's just as possible to be drawn to something that you know you're not, and never will be, as to something that you actually are.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The dude has been singing about the sin of kissing someone for thirty years, comes from the industrial dance scene which is the epicenter of kink/queer music, and has more pictures with his music partner Atticus Ross than his wife. I know you can read this different ways but if you think there's a few rumors Trent is gay, well, there's about ten times more noise that Atticus is.

I've always been very very curious if Trent is in fact bisexual because repressing that feeling out of duty or it being dangerous or wrong feels like the Rosetta Stone to his entire catalog.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

the industrial dance scene which is the epicenter of kink/queer music
wasn't there a story about robin finck sucking manson's dick on stage or something?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

also: it seems really weird to be talking about this in 2019. who loving cares

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

also: it seems really weird to be talking about this in 2019. who loving cares

It's not a care of like, disapproval. It's caring about what one of your favorite artists lifestyle consists of or maybe has struggled with and it's fairly normal to wonder.

And, because yesterday was bisexual awareness day.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

has more pictures with his music partner Atticus Ross than his wife.

The same can be said about anyone in a famous band

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Barry posted:

The same can be said about anyone in a famous band

Not quite when your wife is also a singer, that you're in a band with, who assumedly goes with you to things like the Oscars.. but nope, it's just Atticus and Trent.

No one else in all the eras of Reznor is seen with him like that, it's not like Atticus is his first collaborator.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Dude you're reading into poo poo way too much, those are just press photos lmao. It's not like he's constantly posting selfies of them two on instagram every day

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

Not quite when your wife is also a singer, that you're in a band with, who assumedly goes with you to things like the Oscars.. but nope, it's just Atticus and Trent.

No one else in all the eras of Reznor is seen with him like that, it's not like Atticus is his first collaborator.

A band that produced one album that barely charted 6 years ago

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dude you're reading into poo poo way too much, those are just press photos lmao. It's not like he's constantly posting selfies of them two on instagram every day

Hard agree here.
e: Atticus is the first "official" member of the band other than Trent, so yes, he's in the press photos. There are absolutely more photos of Trent and Mariqueen there than there are press photos of Trent and Atticus, just peruse her Instagram. HTDA hasn't done anything in 5+ years and was never a part of NIN, so that means very little. And yes, his wife went to the Oscars with him and they were photographed together.
Obviously there's nothing wrong with being whatever orientation you are, but the theorycrafting to try to twist things is weird and kinda gross, if you ask me.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 24, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If Trent doesn't want to be out as bi, if he is bi, that's his business and I don't really feel I have the right to attribute a sexuality to someone that they are not comfortable attributing to themselves.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Uhh that's what a discussion thread is for. If it makes you uncomfortable to think about, ok, but the last thing Reznor posted on Instagram is a picture that homages broke back mountain with him and Atticus Ross face plastered on it and half the people who've been in NIN riff about broke back mountain in the comments. He posted the picture in reference to bring nominated for a CMA for a song by an openly bisexual artist- not that that supports the theory, jussayin, younger artists feel more free to talk about this stuff openly.

I think you're uncomfortable with even the idea he's bisexual, and it is something that we have trouble talking about all over the globe as we've decided culturally that men are either one or the other.. It's just a conversation.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

I think you're uncomfortable with even the idea he's bisexual

this is definitely it, you got us. :downs:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have no problem at all with him being bisexual, I just think someone's sexuality is very personal to them and is not something that should be defined by others, especially with mostly circumstantial evidence and gossipy bullshit to back it up

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axelblaze posted:

I have no problem at all with him being bisexual, I just think someone's sexuality is very personal to them and is not something that should be defined by others, especially with mostly circumstantial evidence and gossipy bullshit to back it up

Yup

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's been making it pretty obvious his entire career :shrug: next you're gonna say Bowie was straight

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

writing lyrics about kinky poo poo and dressing androgynously does not equal coming out. why are you so loving fixated on this?

also,

Donovan Trip posted:

It's caring about what one of your favorite artists lifestyle

being gay or bi is not a lifestyle

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Life experience then. His music is overtly sexual, what's the issue with talking about it in a discussion thread?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Donovan Trip posted:

He's been making it pretty obvious his entire career :shrug: next you're gonna say Bowie was straight

No, he really hasn't. I think you're somehow invested in this and want it to be that way but, again, a bunch of tenuous circumstantial evidence and reading into lyrics doesn't define anything.

If you go and google "trent reznor gay" or "atticus ross gay" or any iteration of that you get... nothing. Which isn't supposed to serve as some supreme arbiter of this discussion but if there was merit to it (or if anyone else was talking about it really) you'd think there'd be hits all over the place. But there's not. You'd think there would at least be some gossip and he-said-he-said type of stories.

Trent has been married 10 years and has 4 kids. I believe Atticus has been married just as long, if not longer. Which doesn't preclude either (or both, or all of them) from being bi, but it doesn't outwardly seem like it in any way. Their wives might both be beards but I just don't see it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Explicit details on all aspects of Reznors life are scant. Addiction for example- you can't find a wealth of stories about it, but you'll find murmurs sometimes. We know Bowie helped him get clean in some capacity, then he got ripped and around then he met Atticus.

I'm certainly not gonna just keep posting into the void here if it's just irritating, I'm honestly surprised no one else has thought this the entire time. I've thought it since the first time I heard Kinda I Want To.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's not irritating at all (not like this thread has been active whatsoever) I guess I've just never really seen it.

Would really like to hear whatever stories about him and the New Orleans gay scene that sparked this.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

axelblaze posted:

Yep, it's 100% this. Nobody's saying it isn't possible, but I think you're being extremely weird about it, Donovan Trip.
Gossiping about what you think press photos with Atticus really mean or why there aren't more photos of him and Mariqueen comes off as invasive and creepy. He is obviously a private dude, the reason you don't see more photos of him and his wife is because he's not sharing them publicly, not because they don't exist. We don't need to analyze everything we can find about someone for hidden signs about their sexual orientation.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Here I was hoping for some actual news after seeing the flurry of activity here, but instead it's just someone "connecting dots" on some poo poo that I couldn't care less about.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

video evidence. I think he's right, you guys

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man who the gently caress cares lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

wasn't there a story about robin finck sucking manson's dick on stage or something?

Pretty sure that actually happened but it was basically like 2 seconds

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rageaholic posted:

I've had the part of this that starts at 0:26 as one of the alarms on my phone since that instrumentals album came out a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-JqooVjfs

The instrumentals are so loving good. Makes you appreciate the album versions in a whole new way.

Sorry to break up the "What genitals does Trent prefer" chat, but I've found that using Pinion as an alarm is a great way to wake up, because of the way it starts off dead silent and over ~30 seconds increases in volume. Plus waking up to NIN is never really a bad way to start the day.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was this many days old when I looked it up and found out Pinion is an actual word. I always just figured it was "opinion" without the O or even "minion" combined with "pin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

axelblaze posted:

I was this many days old when I looked it up and found out Pinion is an actual word. I always just figured it was "opinion" without the O or even "minion" combined with "pin"

this is cute