Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
The president called another world leader and all he wanted to talk about were US political scandals that the Ukranian president could help resolve in his favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I mean, it's just short of him saying "Nice country you have there. It would be a shame if something were to happen to it."

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

After reading the transcript I can't decide which of these things are true (or both):

1. The President of Ukraine used the same language Trump uses and specifically said things he knew would flatter Trump:

quote:

"We used quite a few of your skills and knowledge..."

"We wanted to drain the swamp..."

"I will make sure that I surround myself with the best and most experienced people. I also wanted to tell you that we are friends. We are great friends.."

"or we can take your plane, which is probably better than mine..."

2. Trump told his lackeys to make sure they include language about how Trump's skills won Zelenskyy the election, how they are best friends, etc.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 25, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The Cheeto Sky is approaching singularity.

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1176868856511549440

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
CNN(or maybe it was MSNBC?) this morning was pushing "a bunch of Democrats have called me and they are worried Pelosi went in too early, what if the transcript is very good???"

welp

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

CNN(or maybe it was MSNBC?) this morning was pushing "a bunch of Democrats have called me and they are worried Pelosi went in too early, what if the transcript is very good???"

welp

To be fair, the transcript was very good

For Democrats :v:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
They've already demonstrated that they can obfuscate clear evidence of criminality away, so they might as well get ahead of this before the whistleblower testifies. This was going to come out one way or another.

That being said, they were able to neuter the Mueller report by lying about it before releasing it, and generally dragging out the process for months. This isn't really the same strategy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Will we see the whistleblower complaint, too, or is that more likely to remain private?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Trump thinks Crowdstrike, an anti-hacking firm, has the Clinton email server:

https://twitter.com/RayRedacted/status/1176867460215128066?s=20

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ewiley posted:

Most PDF readers/writers will auto-OCR text, this is Qannon level BS. Ignore it.

Exactly. Same line of reasoning people used for saying Obama's birth certificate was a fake because you could select/copy/edit text once you brought it into an editor.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

D-Pad posted:

After reading the transcript I can't decide which of these things are true (or both):

1. The President of Ukraine used the same language Trump uses and specifically said things he knew would flatter Trump:

2. Trump told his lackeys to make sure they include language about how Trump's skills won Zelenskyy the election, how they are best friends, etc.

Pretty sure it's #1. It's no secret that flattery works well on our big boy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ewiley posted:

The transcript is a ham handed red herring, the whistleblower complaint is the actual meat.

It allows for enough ambiguity that republicans will be able to continue gaslighting the country. I’m not a “nothing matters” guy but this won’t matter unless the whistleblower complaint indicates that there’s more to this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They picked the least bad "transcript" to release.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oh god if they got him in a hearing he'd tell them about so many crimes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Will we see the whistleblower complaint, too, or is that more likely to remain private?

It's impeachment time baby.

We see everything.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1176869593685663744

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1176868363332653059

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I know news is happening, but I just had to share this with you fine folks:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1176831012883640321?s=19

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

It allows for enough ambiguity that republicans will be able to continue gaslighting the country. I’m not a “nothing matters” guy but this won’t matter unless the whistleblower complaint indicates that there’s more to this.

I mean we got 250 million dollars getting frozen then unfrozen with an extra 140 million inexplicably being thrown in. This "transcript" is probably going to be the best looking thing for Trump in all this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Wouldn't they have a legit privilege claim this time, seeing as Rudy is Trump's personal counsel?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Trump thinks Crowdstrike, an anti-hacking firm, has the Clinton email server:

https://twitter.com/RayRedacted/status/1176867460215128066?s=20

I heard it was transferred to Surefire Intel

I do not see a single pundit spinning this as good for trump - just GOP lackies. This is real bad for them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

popehat's retweeting some guy melting down hard about how hosed up it is that... somebody got caught doing racist tweets in the past

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176848192740065280

dunno why

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

less "he did a good thing once" and more "he did this 7 years ago when he was still a child"

yeah as an Iowan who's been following this story from the outset, the racist tweets were a pair of dumb jokes made 7 years ago when the dude was 16 that were based off of Tosh.0 jokes. He made a very good public apology where he basically said "yeah those jokes were gross and the stuff I thought was funny back then makes me sick, since then I've learned why those are wrong and I strive to do better," which sorta bears out with the whole "helped raise over a million dollars for a children's hospital" thing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Get hosed guy.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I'm not sure, but I think something happened to federalism.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I know emoluments aren’t sexy, but there’s also this very unsurprising thing

https://twitter.com/levinecarrie/status/1176865924974096384?s=21

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

skylined! posted:

I heard it was transferred to Surefire Intel

I do not see a single pundit spinning this as good for trump - just GOP lackies. This is real bad for them.

What's Fox news saying? I don't want to kill my brain cells.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Yes it's very appropriate that the President asked Ukraine to locate a physical server that the perfidious DNC somehow sent to them to keep it out of the hands of the FBI" gently caress off Graham, you absolute southern-fried fascist. There is more to this than impeaching a president over getting a beej in the oval office.

EDIT:

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah as an Iowan who's been following this story from the outset, the racist tweets were a pair of dumb jokes made 7 years ago when the dude was 16 that were based off of Tosh.0 jokes. He made a very good public apology where he basically said "yeah those jokes were gross and the stuff I thought was funny back then makes me sick, since then I've learned why those are wrong and I strive to do better," which sorta bears out with the whole "helped raise over a million dollars for a children's hospital" thing.

This basically sounds a lot like the James Gunn thing then. He did some stupid things years ago, apologized for it in a non lovely way, and has tried to do better, but people love to falsely equivocate it against people who said bad poo poo in the past and are still saying bad poo poo now.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

alpha_destroy posted:

I know news is happening, but I just had to share this with you fine folks:

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1176831012883640321?s=19

Who cares what some random shithead is saying on twitter

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Graham is a drat ghoul

I refuse to even classify him as a living being. He is dead and empty

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
It sure sounds like the plan was trump would pressure Ukraine to provide (maybe) false info, at which point sometime next year barr would have announced an investigation into Joe Biden, who they apparently thought was most likely to win the dem nomination.

Trunp was telling Ukrainian president to talk to barr and guiliani to get it set up. That means barr is wrapped up in this too?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dipshit is speaking right now.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176848267759509504

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" has never looked so desperate and transparent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

I'm not sure, but I think something happened to federalism.

As you referring to US attorneys may be acting as Trump's personal attorneys in state court and opposing a county DA?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Graham is a drat ghoul

I refuse to even classify him as a living being. He is dead and empty

Don't slander the undead with this kind of comparison. They've never done anything to you to deserve that.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Last few years showed that Trump is the easiest mark in the world for blatant flattery, every world leader has used it.
Most Russian and Ukrainian money men are easily as mushbrain gloryhounds as Trump, Zelenskiy already has experience in talking to those.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:allbuttons:

If the transcript is this bad, imagine what else is in the whistleblower report

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

"Man, that's all the FBI has on me? What an absolute (didn't murder someone!) joke."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I wonder how many more GOP reps and admin officials are going to bail in the next week.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What's Fox news saying? I don't want to kill my brain cells.

I don’t want to check either but I’m gonna hazard a guess the newsroom looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNGsUmJzIM

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
"After they read the transcript, the stock market went up"

--a thing the President ever said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Can people learn to screenshot tweets please?