Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
My wife works as in admin in academia and she says that U of M will pay less then a lot of colleges and will say unironically that the prestige of working at the college makes up for lack in pay in interviews and such.

Ann Arbor as a city is fine. It has some nice kinda tucked away places and I think the area itself is pretty but it went from smug hippy to smug bro quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

I can't actually find what the tweet was but the Busch Light Sign Guy got milkshake duck'd by the Des Moines Register and had to issue an apology for some lovely racist tweets he made when he was 16, and now Anheuser Busch is cutting ties with him. They're still gonna make the donation to the hospital (total is over a million now) but I assume the special beer can and stuff are done now.

as someone who is perfectly happy to jump on racists and get them fired, this is real real dumb and i can't decide if the DMR is dumber for actually digging in and finding these tweets, or if Busch is dumber for preemptively dumping him before the public had any chance to react. There's a world of difference between, for example, a stand-up comedian who can't stop using slurs whenever they're on a podcast and a dude who posted a dumb Tosh.0 joke when they were 16.

on the somewhat bright side, he is apparently going to still be at the game on Saturday and this may spur on a whole new wave of spite-donations to the hospital.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm still waiting for more details on these Ann Arbor Sandwiches

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

as someone who is perfectly happy to jump on racists and get them fired, this is real real dumb and i can't decide if the DMR is dumber for actually digging in and finding these tweets, or if Busch is dumber for preemptively dumping him before the public had any chance to react. There's a world of difference between, for example, a stand-up comedian who can't stop using slurs whenever they're on a podcast and a dude who posted a dumb Tosh.0 joke when they were 16.

on the somewhat bright side, he is apparently going to still be at the game on Saturday and this may spur on a whole new wave of spite-donations to the hospital.

if this is the thing that finally prompts people in this state to stop pretending that drinking one of the ten most popular beers in the country is an interesting personality quirk it would be a noble sacrifice

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 25, 2019

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Seaniqua posted:

https://www.zingermansdeli.com/menus/

They look good, but expensive.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

update: I found the racism

quote:

A routine background check of King's social media revealed two racist jokes, one comparing black mothers to gorillas and another making light of black people killed in the holocaust. The joke tweets date back to 2012, when King was a 16-year-old high school student.

When asked about the tweets, King was remorseful and thanked the Register for pointing them out, saying they made him "sick." He has since deleted them.

"That’s not something that I’m proud of at all," he told the Register during the day Tuesday.

Tuesday evening, King spoke to local television stations about the now-deleted tweets.

"I am embarrassed and stunned to reflect on what I thought was funny when I was 16-year-old," he said in a statement posted by WHO-TV. "I want to sincerely apologize."

He also read the statement in a video posted by KCCI-TV.

Anheuser-Busch InBev, Busch Light's parent company, announced in a statement Tuesday night that they will "have no further association with [King]," though they will honor their agreement to match the funds for the children's hospital.

This was dropped into a larger article about him and his job and the whole donation thing, but man it's really dumb. He fully admits that his sense of humor was bad and sickening and apologizes, it's about as thorough an apology as you could want for "was dumb at 16".

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
What does the phrase "milkshake duck'd" mean?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Sab0921 posted:

1. internet falls in love with endearing person and/or concept

2. person and/or concept is revealed to be somehow horrible

Edit: I just wish someone had a link to the original tweet! ;-*

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 25, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:argh:^^^

Sab0921 posted:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So has any other school in recent years done what Holgerson is doing right now and redshirted multiple seniors just to take a mulligan on the year?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

So has any other school in recent years done what Holgerson is doing right now and redshirted multiple seniors just to take a mulligan on the year?

Blazing new trails I think.

I'd love to see him explain it to a recruit

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Zerilan posted:

i can't imagine that many schools having seniors that haven't taken redshirt years to begin with, this is probably a unique situation that Dana is taking advantage of to ease the pressure on him a bit.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bryce Thompson domestic assault charges were dismissed, which isn't all that surprising. I'm guessing he'll need to take some anger management classes but from a team standpoint he was effectively suspended for three games but traveled with the team this past week and played sparingly (and not well). Probably the best thing for him to be around teammates vs. being left alone to figure poo poo out alone.

For what it's worth, he didn't actually physically assault anyone. He damaged a gate and yelled something about shooting up the school. The kid obviously has emotional/anger management issues and needs some help. The arrest for domestic assault was because apparently in TN, anytime the police respond to a DA call, there needs to be an arrest logged, which I don't entirely understand. A third party called the cop and reported it as a domestic dispute, so here we are. The girlfriend that was involved also testified that 'at no point was she scared' and didn't want to press charges.

I don't really know what the "right" move here is but I can't imagine kicking him off the team/out of school would do him much good. There's been comments from Pruitt and other internal UT people that say they have a plan for him that he'll need to stick to to stay on the team, and I hope its not BS and works.

I mean, you're downplaying him yelling that he was going to shoot up a school to a really weird degree.... That's not something that normal people yell just because they're angry and it doesn't deserve an "oh boys will be boys, lol" dismissive response. That's a really serious threat that I wouldn't be surprised if it would cause a normal student to get expelled from school for making... Just because he can play football gud doesn't mean he should face no punishment for it (also he probably can't play football gud if he plays for Tennessee imo).

Also don't even try to pretend you want him to stay on the team "for his own good". You aren't a Cornhusker fan, don't act like them. Unless you are a Cornhusker fan, in which case..... still don't act like them

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 25, 2019

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

wa27 posted:

Still thinking about how Nebraska almost lost this...

To be fair, your team and state sucks and should lose every game regardless of any circumstances

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think there's a good way to stop this without risking safety.

I don't think it helps the defense all that much anyway.

To be fair, more teams should do what I do when I play video game football and have a defensive lineman line up next to the quarterback, and immediately blast him when the ball is snapped, to force a clock stoppage when they want a rest....

Or if that's too blatant to be allowed, just line up correctly and shove the offensive lineman over before the snap, costs you 5 yards but works like a timeout

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

DrunkPanda posted:

To be fair, your team and state sucks and should lose every game regardless of any circumstances

Namaste

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

I was shocked at the price too as a grad student but then we got a Zingerman's gift card from a professor and uh... they are really really good. As staff I could afford to go and some meetings would order for us so i've had a lot of different ones. Yes it is expensive but i have not had a more delicious reuben or pastrami anywhere else.

Is it worth it? No its a god drat sandwich but it is loving good. Its also expensive because the entire team of workers get way more benefits and wages than your average restaurant, and zingermans sources expensive ingredients all the way down to the flour they use. This concludes my post about the sandwich I hope you enjoyed it and stick around for my other posts about gringo culture.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don't even know why I care so much, but the whole thing has turned into a he said/she said thing for both university admins. For whatever it's worth, someone did manage to find security video of the Iowa band, but it's pretty much impossible to tell if anything happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhG9nwen_E&t=60s

If it helps you with context, they were supposed to go out on the east side of the Jacobson building (visible to the band's immediate right), which importantly doesn't have a stream of fans exiting into it.

I'm just marveling at whatever idiot thought it was a good idea to march that band into the crowd playing the fight song after a 1 point win in a state rivalry game that ran six hours later than planned due to storms those fans all sat through in an open stadium.

Starting poo poo with the band is inexcusable, but have a care for the situations you put your students in too.

MourningView posted:

I can't actually find what the tweet was but the Busch Light Sign Guy got milkshake duck'd by the Des Moines Register and had to issue an apology for some lovely racist tweets he made when he was 16, and now Anheuser Busch is cutting ties with him. They're still gonna make the donation to the hospital (total is over a million now) but I assume the special beer can and stuff are done now.

This is expanding, the Register employee who went after him with 8 year old Tosh.0 quotes from his twitter turns out to have been a huge racist on twitter as well... 2 minutes after the editorial staff went to bat for their guy.

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1176705031468457985

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1176723106171432960

https://twitter.com/LevineJonathan/status/1176708360877563905

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 25, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/juleskd1/status/1176708052667510785?s=21

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

I mean, you're downplaying him yelling that he was going to shoot up a school to a really weird degree.... That's not something that normal people yell just because they're angry and it doesn't deserve an "oh boys will be boys, lol" dismissive response. That's a really serious threat that I wouldn't be surprised if it would cause a normal student to get expelled from school for making... Just because he can play football gud doesn't mean he should face no punishment for it (also he probably can't play football gud if he plays for Tennessee imo).

Also don't even try to pretend you want him to stay on the team "for his own good". You aren't a Cornhusker fan, don't act like them. Unless you are a Cornhusker fan, in which case..... still don't act like them

Not downplaying it at all. Go check my post history, when the news came out I said it was awful and he should be punished. I’m reconciling the fact that he’s still on the team and them having a plan in place for him (they haven’t released details and i wouldn’t expect them to) with that being better than him going to jail. I’ve said several times the kid needs help and if “help” is that the school is going to keep an eye on him, whatever that means, then fine. Him being kicked off the team/school isn’t going to help him. If they were releasing him (or whatever it’s called in college) so he could transfer somewhere else, then I’d be fine with that too. I’m just not a big fan of “lost causes” and maybe that stems from some personal life stuff, but there it is.

I can still be objective about issues stemming within my fandoms. I’ve made it incredibly clear I don’t like having “bad guys” on my team - again see my myriad of posts about how much I hate Jameis Winston. It’s just football, as much as I piss and moan about how poo poo we (pick one of my teams as to who I’m referring to lol) are, at the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

Bryce isn’t a game changer, this isn’t some 5* best player in the team that I’m secretly mustache twirling trying to trick you guys into agreeing with me that he should be on the team. You can think that he should be kicked off the team and out of school, and that’s fine, but I don’t. At least not completely. But I also don’t know what an appropriate alternative is. Ideally I would think that keeping him in school, working with him on anger management and keeping him on the team in some sort of GA role would be best but I don’t think he can be a GA, idk the rules on that.

The girl that was involved testified that he never said that he was going to shoot up the school and the third party that said they thought he said that when they called in never came forward or testified and the charges were dismissed. He broke a gate, didn’t assault anyone, supposedly said whats already been mentioned. Had he beat this girl up I’d absolutely have a different tone.

I want to believe, however naive it is, that if the school or the police (more so the school) legitimately believed there was any danger of him shooting up the school they would have done something more. I’m aware I’ll probably get poo poo on for that.

I’ve known kids like Bryce, so maybe I’m internally making this more personal than I should, and if he does something that proves me wrong I’ll feel even that much more like poo poo about it, but I don’t think he should be given up on, which is how I would see him being kicked out of school and/or thrown in jail.

e: gently caress that was longer than I thought it’d be

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 25, 2019

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

from the UT athletics site posted:

CAREER HONORS
2018 FWAA Freshman All-American…2018 SEC All-Freshman Team…PFF College Midseason Second Team…SEC Freshman of the Week (9/10/18)…Three-time PFF College SEC Defensive Team of the Week.

2018 – FRESHMAN
Finished with the highest grade of any true freshman cornerback in the nation, according to PFF College.played in all 12 games, making 10 starts…led Tennessee with three interceptions and PBUs (seven)…his three INTs ranked tied for third in the SEC and first among league freshman, while his 10 passes defended ranked tied for ninth and first among newcomers…posted 34 total tackles, 4.0 TFLs and one forced fumble…notched two tackles and a career-high three PBUs against No. 11 Kentucky…recorded his third INT of the year against Charlotte, it was the most by a UT true freshman since Todd Kelly Jr., had three in 2014…intercepted a pass against No. 21 Auburn, returning it six yards…started and set a career-high with six tackles against No. 2 Georgia…returned two kicks for 36 yards, including a 21-yarder vs. Florida…forced first fumble of his career against UTEP…earned first-career start and made four tackles vs. ETSU, also had two TFLs and an interception…made collegiate debut vs. West Virginia, recording one tackle.

HIGH SCHOOL
Four-star recruit and a top-10 prospect out of South Carolina…earned Most Outstanding player honors in the South Carolina Shrine Bowl after catching seven passes for 165 yards and a touchdown…primarily an offensive player in high school…scored 41 TDs in 24 games in high school…rushed for 1,369 yards and 29 touchdowns during his senior season.

If he wasn't any good he likely still wouldn't be on the team. I take your point that keeping him on the team and in school may be better for him long-term to get his life under control, but I doubt that's why it happened. The ship is sinking so quickly in Knoxville that Pruitt needs all the help he can get.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

God forbid I ever run for office and some journalist digs up my SAS shitposts from 2005 or that Lynndie England story.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ace Jameson posted:

If he wasn't any good he likely still wouldn't be on the team. I take your point that keeping him on the team and in school may be better for him long-term to get his life under control, but I doubt that's why it happened. The ship is sinking so quickly in Knoxville that Pruitt needs all the help he can get.

AJ Johnson was the best player on the team and probably going to be a 1st round pick when he was accused of raping a girl in 2014 and he never played for Tennessee again. He was eventually acquitted and walked on to the Broncos I think. Different situations and obviously Pruitt wasn’t there then but there’s precedent that UT will boot a kid regardless of how good he is.

e: not arguing that him being decent didn't play a factor, but I also don't believe that if he was buried on the depth chart it would have been much different.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 25, 2019

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Ohio State are 18 point favorites over Nebraska, but I feel it could easily turn into something like 48-14. Still, I am really interested in the game as a test of where these programs really stand.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think Baylor/ISU started as +3 for ISU and has moved to -3 for ISU, which just seems like a huge shift. I feel pretty good about the game, but it's hard to tell how good Baylor is, they've played all bad teams.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Ohio State are 18 point favorites over Nebraska, but I feel it could easily turn into something like 48-14. Still, I am really interested in the game as a test of where these programs really stand.

Not to be the "my team sucks" guy but Nebraska doesn't have all the pieces yet and I still think it's at least a couple years away. Nebraska really struggles to hold on to the ball. They've lost nine fumbles this year which puts them smack dab at 130th in the nation. That's last place.

I will say that the defense has been a pleasant surprise and there are a handful of legitimate offensive weapons but there's not much depth and it can get pretty predictable if they are forced into passing situations. If Nebraska can cover that spread I'll be pretty pleased, depending on how it looks.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

LLCoolJD posted:

Last 3 years went like so:

OSU 36-31
OSU 56-14
OSU 62-3

Part of that was Riley's inability to score points, but Frost hasn't fixed that defense, and this is looking like it may be the most complete offense OSU's had since the natty which is a lot harder to stop than just Haskins doing it by himself last year. My gut says it's going to be around 42-28 at the moment--I didn't like how some of the option defense played against Miami or Indiana because a team with better athletes will break some of those for scores.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I too would like to know more about the sandwiches.
You can make them pretty easily yourself, it's a Jager Bomb followed by an Irish Car Bomb.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Komet posted:

God forbid I ever run for office and some journalist digs up my SAS shitposts from 2005 or that Lynndie England story.

Yeah if I got rich the first thing I’d do is put a hit out on the SA servers. Lowtax could milkshake duck a pretty substantial corner of the internet if he ever hired a sysadmin

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm just glad my teenager years were not documented in digital eternity.

I'm also deeply troubled by the general concept that if you said or did something before the age of 24 or so, that's apparently who you are forever and there's no such thing as personal growth.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I'm just glad my teenager years were not documented in digital eternity.

I had frosted tips, both ears pierced, used an unreasonable amount of hair gel and wore JNCOs so hell, same.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What was the DMR guy's plan anyway? If you go after someone for something they said you would think they would check their own twitter first.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I think Baylor/ISU started as +3 for ISU and has moved to -3 for ISU, which just seems like a huge shift. I feel pretty good about the game, but it's hard to tell how good Baylor is, they've played all bad teams.

Yeah, I think it's a bit weird and they seem close enough that I'm surprised Baylor doesn't get a little benefit of the doubt at home.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What was the DMR guy's plan anyway? If you go after someone for something they said you would think they would check their own twitter first.

furthermore, what the gently caress was ever the point? stupid from the start

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mactheknife posted:

furthermore, what the gently caress was ever the point? stupid from the start

Because he gets to be the one who reported the scandal. Like literally every person experiencing their 15 minutes of fame is getting their internet history scrubbed by someone just so they can get taken down.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Because he gets to be the one who reported the scandal. Like literally every person experiencing their 15 minutes of fame is getting their internet history scrubbed by someone just so they can get taken down.

[cracks knuckles] time to gently caress up this kid making a huge charity donation. this is what i got into this business to do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you wanted to be generous I guess you could say they wanted to make sure there wasn't anything lovely about the guy they were about to write a big glowing profile about? But even then it'd be pretty easy to just give him a chance to delete it, I don't think anyone would have had any idea given how long ago it was. It suspect it was mostly what Bird said though.

King has handled it super well. A lot of the worst people on the internet are currently trying to turn him into an icon for PC Police Run Amok or the dangers of cancel culture or whatever, but he owned it, acknowledged that the tweets were lovely and made an actual apology (as opposed to the standard "sorry if you were offended" non-apology) and talked about how much he's learned and grown since then.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

Yeah, I think it's a bit weird and they seem close enough that I'm surprised Baylor doesn't get a little benefit of the doubt at home.

Baylor played Rice really close - This year's Rice team may be the worst D-1 football team I have ever seen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sab0921 posted:

Baylor played Rice really close - This year's Rice team may be the worst D-1 football team I have ever seen.

That game was never really in doubt, and Rice also held Army to 14-7. Rice would probably be a TD favorite over UTEP, UTSA, or New Mexico State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sab0921 posted:

You didn’t watch Memphis/South Alabama.

South moves into their new stadium next year and their new coach has essentially undone all of Joey Jones’ work.