Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Grand Theft Doggo. He's going to get serious prison time for a incorrectly valued dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BonerGhost posted:

Google knows I like BWM

I feel like Louisiana Man is the sympathetic everyman version of Florida Man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Louisiana man is always underwater on his truck.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Even, or especially so, when he pays cash.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

Global warming is a bitch.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pentyne posted:

Is there anything in this world more directly responsible for causing adults to go scorched earth BWM then Disney?

Trucks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is Bankruptcy The Right Option? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 44 minutes ago by throwawayimbroke2019

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/d93f0w/is_bankruptcy_the_right_option/

quote:

I have 30k in credit card debt and will be possibly moving cross country within a month to start my first job in 2 years. I'm 1.5 years behind on the credit card debt (stems from bitcoin and my thriving business that started failing). I have a meeting with a bankruptcy lawyer and was set to file chapter 7. Well, I was just told I have an inheritance of 50k coming my way now. Would it be more advantageous to not even file chapter 7 and try to settle the debt lower with the creditors? Should I file bankruptcy and get my 50k outright, but live with the negative implications of bankruptcy on my history? I've been living broke and jobless for 2 years while I finished college and job searching after college. Before this negative downturn I was pulling 75-100k a year profit from the business while in college. I grew my bitcoin account from 13k to a peak of 20 (120k worth at time) bitcoins, but a snowball of bad investments ruined that.

There's a thread title to be crafted out of the bolded part.

Edit:

Underwater in truck (self.personalfinance)

submitted 58 minutes ago by keepcalm86
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/d93b5w/underwater_in_truck/

quote:

Recent job offer requires relocation and I literally just bought a $64,000 diesel pickup truck I planned on keeping for 8-10 years.

Because I purchased new, I inherited that depreciation. Long story short, after a few phone calls to a handful of local deals I am looking at being under water 10k. I have not yet tried private sale.

With all this said, is this a situation where it would be sound to just keep it? Payment is ~1k/month, I can afford it however the way I look at it is...whats the difference between eating the 10k or paying on it for 10 months? Do I just rip the bandaid off now? or do I keep the truck like I originally anticipated and spread the cost of ownership out of the 8-10 years?

Thanks in advance.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 25, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I Dunno what the relocation has to do with a truck unless he's moving across the pond or something. At that point I would discuss with the company costs to sell it and walk out with nothing.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Literally the $64,000 question :v:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

Payment is ~1k/month
:stare:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Motronic posted:

Is Bankruptcy The Right Option? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 44 minutes ago by throwawayimbroke2019

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/d93f0w/is_bankruptcy_the_right_option/

There's a thread title to be crafted out of the bolded part.

Double lol. I’m sure your creditors and bankruptcy court will never know about your super secret inheritance and will let this slip by. Then labeling buttcoin churning at the bubble a “thriving business”. These people truly have no insight, even 2 years later.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't think he says what his loan length is. If he is financing the entire thing over 6 years at 4%, that would be about $1,000/month. But buying a $64k truck is definitely BWM though, but I guess diesel is more efficient than regular unleaded.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I Dunno what the relocation has to do with a truck unless he's moving across the pond or something. At that point I would discuss with the company costs to sell it and walk out with nothing.

Apparently he's moving from a region where owning a big truck offers some actual utility to one where it's largely a pointless extravagance. But mostly he's just panicking about the notion of being underwater, which he finds frightening, and wants to quickly lock in his big losses.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently he's moving from a region where owning a big truck offers some actual utility to one where it's largely a pointless extravagance. But mostly he's just panicking about the notion of being underwater, which he finds frightening, and wants to quickly lock in his big losses.

He also already has a car that's paid off, so he literally doesnt needs the truck at all now that hes moving

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

OctaMurk posted:

He also already has a car that's paid off, so he literally doesnt needs the truck at all now that hes moving

I would have thought the truck would help with that, unless he had to sell all of his possessions for the down payment (there was no down payment).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tater_salad posted:

sounds like an oil and gas guy so yeah odds are he's moving to fuckistan or the swamps of nigeria or the north sea or whatever

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What do these “oil guys” do that pays so well? If it’s literal back breaking physical work, I’m surprised :capitalism: hasn’t found a way to pay someone less like every other corporation

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It takes a whole, whole lot of engineers. Finding oil, drilling for oil, dealing with production, building rigs, moving the stuff, refining the stuff. There are lots of smart people who are well compensated for their valuable expertise.

On the labor side it is hard, isolated, skilled work away from home and family, either offshore or in the middle of nowhere. Oil companies would mostly rather pay good money for good people and not deal with the problems that come with the kind of pipe welders who are willing to work for $10/hr in February in North Dakota, when the $50/hr guy shows up on time, every day and does good welds for 80hrs/wk.

Most oil companies can afford to pay their people well and create plenty of shareholder value while doing it. It’s the kind of business where a small mistake from cutting costs can turn into a huge environmental, safety, and PR disaster very quickly.

For a BWM example of what happens to a company that chooses to cut cost corners to make shareholders happy in an industry where small errors can cause very big problems, see the Boeing 737 MAX.

GWM: Paying a motivated and professional workforce well to do a job seamlessly
BWM: saving nickels to crash planes.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cacafuego posted:

What do these “oil guys” do that pays so well? If it’s literal back breaking physical work, I’m surprised :capitalism: hasn’t found a way to pay someone less like every other corporation
It's also cyclical, so oil companies need to pay more to attract talent because they can't offer stability.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

tater_salad posted:

Well you see he lives in an area where 4x4 is useful thus spending $64k on a truck made sense. Now he will be moving to an area where it doesn't. Which of course means it makes perfect sense to contemplate taking an additional 10k loss rather than riding it out lol

I totally get why people want 4x4 in snowy areas and poo poo but I will never understand why they need to buy something new and expensive to do so.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yeah, but have you considered that they deserve something shiny and new? :colbert:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Raldikuk posted:

I totally get why people want 4x4 in snowy areas and poo poo but I will never understand why they need to buy something new and expensive to do so.
I grew up in a snowy area, and 4x4 is over-rated. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I grew up in a snowy area, and 4x4 is over-rated. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.
Another life wasted in the pursuit of glory and gold.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

Snow tires and AWD are money in the mountains.

My favorite is the guys in SUVs going 70mph in a giant snow storm on I-70 because they have a 4x4.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Please help. Need to declare bankruptcy to keep the snowbank from repossessing my truck.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I can’t tell if Goon Oil ever took off, but that’s probably for the best given they would have run into the oil crash of 2014-2015. The last post is from a truck driver in the Bakken and the joys/sorrows of the oil patch.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590524

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 25, 2019

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It takes a whole, whole lot of engineers. Finding oil, drilling for oil, dealing with production, building rigs, moving the stuff, refining the stuff. There are lots of smart people who are well compensated for their valuable expertise.

On the labor side it is hard, isolated, skilled work away from home and family, either offshore or in the middle of nowhere. Oil companies would mostly rather pay good money for good people and not deal with the problems that come with the kind of pipe welders who are willing to work for $10/hr in February in North Dakota, when the $50/hr guy shows up on time, every day and does good welds for 80hrs/wk.

Most oil companies can afford to pay their people well and create plenty of shareholder value while doing it. It’s the kind of business where a small mistake from cutting costs can turn into a huge environmental, safety, and PR disaster very quickly.

For a BWM example of what happens to a company that chooses to cut cost corners to make shareholders happy in an industry where small errors can cause very big problems, see the Boeing 737 MAX.

A lot of it is also that labor cost is not the major component of cost. Time is one of the biggest variable costs when doing most oil field work (drilling has daily rig rates, completions runs on pump time, working wells over is days of no production) so paying for the best workers is an incredible return on investment. The only time you can kind of squeeze money out of workers is a downturn when jobs are scarce.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The first Goon Oil thread is a great look at the economic side of things, but is in archives now. A petroleum engineer goon was putting together a deal where they would buy old wells and do workovers to make them more productive.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500458

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

spwrozek posted:

Snow tires and AWD are money in the mountains.

My favorite is the guys in SUVs going 70mph in a giant snow storm on I-70 because they have a 4x4.

I lived in Breck for almost a decade (fun, but BWM if you aren’t already wealthy) and it was a recurring joke to us. It’s four-wheel drive not four-wheel stop.

Boy howdy gently caress I-70 other than 2am in the summer time, too.

Edit: Relevant driver content https://youtu.be/CuTXUcoGdhw

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

19 o'clock posted:

Getting trolled but little kids at the end "he made it! He made it!" Just awesome

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If anyone is feeling their blood pressure is too low today and hasn't been able to scream "YOU DUMB FUCKERS" at their phone for a while, clicking here will make all your dreams come true!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

19 o'clock posted:

What a classic.

What's he doing here, guys? What's he doing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw&t=356s

This. This is what he's doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw&t=89s

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I read this article yesterday and got excited for the fresh batch of truck equity that's going to come out of the great frozen north: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cn-rail-canapux-1.4982153

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm from Scandinavia, and amazed at Americans and how they have no concept of swapping on winter tires like Nokian Hakkapellita or similar when it gets snowy out.

I once bought a car that came on Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, which is used on cars with 4-500HP and meant for track and high performance use. I got curious about them and started looking up reviews, and all I found was a bunch of Americans saying "kinda iffy in the snow".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evobatman posted:

I'm from Scandinavia, and amazed at Americans and how they have no concept of swapping on winter tires like Nokian Hakkapellita or similar when it gets snowy out.

Please stop with the "Americans" thing like it's one homogeneous group. Those of us who grew up in properly snowy places are well aware of this, and tire shops in those area often offer storage and swap services.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Motronic posted:

Please stop with the "Americans" thing like it's one homogeneous group. Those of us who grew up in properly snowy places are well aware of this, and tire shops in those area often offer storage and swap services.

I mean... Fly into the West and really a car to go skiing. They never have snow tires, probably have bad tires, and the solution is to upgrade to 4x4. In Japan snow tires were included. In Argentina they supplied chains with the car. I lived most of my driving life in the UP and Colorado and the amount of people who actually prepare for winter is laughable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

evobatman posted:

I once bought a car that came on Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires, which is used on cars with 4-500HP and meant for track and high performance use. I got curious about them and started looking up reviews, and all I found was a bunch of Americans saying "kinda iffy in the snow".

Extreme performance summer tires basically come with a warning that they are the best tire ever for anything unless you can see frozen water within 100 yards of you in which case I hope you like trees suddenly in your rear view mirror. I assume that the people writing that review are from California.

Had the black ice warning come on in summers, gave me a moment of panic. Thankfully it was in the middle of the flat desert with plenty of run off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Where I grew up in the frozen snowy northeast probably 50% of drivers swapped to snows, and another 20% had some kind of lovely 4x4 with all terrain tires. The rest were probably poor and just risked it. Not having snow tires in a town with 3 paved roads, no stoplights, and over 100” of snow a year is BWM.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I saw a screaming deal on 4 tires, and my wife's car was due for some new ones so I ordered them. I hosed up and accidentally ordered the snow tires instead of the all-seasons, but it was October and she lived in Ohio so no big. We drove that car for a few years on snow tires and every winter it was amazing being one of the only people able to navigate safely to work (she worked in a hospital). We'd laugh at the big 4x4 SUVs that were just spinning tires and going nowhere while her POS Saturn sedan would crawl right by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

One of the hematologists I work with is talking about getting a horse for her daughter and I am excited about the prospect of a horse/physician singularly.