Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I have no problems with his speech but it clashes with the way he's presented visually. Did they intentionally cut off every frame where he blinks? He looks menacing but the voice is soft and soothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Please do not make fun of leukemia kids.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

At least he has a fallback career as a character actor.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
They managed to make Wiz and Jake look like menacing villains so this guy had no chance from the start.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Glad that Imperator: Rome 1.0 is finally coming out!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had Imperator for a while, haven’t played anything and it looks like waiting was probably the best idea.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Fellblade posted:

They managed to make Wiz and Jake look like menacing villains so this guy had no chance from the start.

They did what? Wiz & Jake are fun to watch.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Descar posted:

They did what? Wiz & Jake are fun to watch.

Clearly somebody who has not seen the Stellaris and EU4 patch summary videos.

Staring at the camera for several minutes talking in monotone without blinking isn’t a good look for anybody it turns out.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 23, 2019

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
when does it update to cicero?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tomorrow, although the beta opt-in might actually be the same as the release candidate, they aren't clear

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Do regnal numbers still disappear when a character dies? It annoys the hell out of me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

I recommend playing this video before you're going to bed. ASMR quality is superb. I don't recommend actually watching it: Peter's cold emotionless non-blinking stare will consume your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCxb-tIs3BE

Am I being recruited into a cult right now?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have the lambs stopped screaming Clarice

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Looking forward to the new patch, against my better instincts. It's still quite a deep game, and I love most of these changes. Really really glad they took out instant religious and culture conversion, it felt absolutely bizarre.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

isnt political influence just monarch power under another name and with a few uses taken away

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Shhh Davincie, do you want the riots to return? And don't talk about Military Experience or changes to gold making it Economic Mana!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, trying this game again now that we've got a new patch. Playing Rome because the title of the game implies they have the most effort put in. Thoughts so far:

* Rome gets a ton of free claims after month one, so don't make any alliances or fabricate claims until then.

* I don't understand military stuff at all, beyond basic poo poo like terrain and supply limit. Do I want my army to be a third light infantry, a third heavy infantry and a third cavalry like the starting Roman army is? How many units should I have? What's this counter for how many units to put "on the flank"? Why is the centre of my battle line entirely composed of archers, that doesn't seem right.

* There don't seem to be alerts for extra nations joining a war against you. I had a war against the Sabines (a small country to the North of Rome) and with no notifications at all I ended up at war with three extra countries on top.

I'm gonna have another go at it, this time turning Iron Man off and doubling the size of the Roman army to three legions of 4/4/4 light/heavy/cavalry and see how I do.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Gort posted:

So, trying this game again now that we've got a new patch. Playing Rome because the title of the game implies they have the most effort put in. Thoughts so far:

* Rome gets a ton of free claims after month one, so don't make any alliances or fabricate claims until then.

* I don't understand military stuff at all, beyond basic poo poo like terrain and supply limit. Do I want my army to be a third light infantry, a third heavy infantry and a third cavalry like the starting Roman army is? How many units should I have? What's this counter for how many units to put "on the flank"? Why is the centre of my battle line entirely composed of archers, that doesn't seem right.

* There don't seem to be alerts for extra nations joining a war against you. I had a war against the Sabines (a small country to the North of Rome) and with no notifications at all I ended up at war with three extra countries on top.

I'm gonna have another go at it, this time turning Iron Man off and doubling the size of the Roman army to three legions of 4/4/4 light/heavy/cavalry and see how I do.

About the military:

Light Infantry is the worst, but the cheapest and takes little supply. They have their uses as a siege army, but not in battles, unless you can outnumber/overwhelm your opponent.
Everything else is better, and horses are the best. you can check their specific counter and build accordingly depending on what the AI has/builds.

small nations are usually guarantied by other nations, or in alliances, so check that before going to war.

Haven't played since launch myself, But the patch looks good so far, will test it today.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Descar posted:

small nations are usually guarantied by other nations, or in alliances, so check that before going to war.

Nah, I checked that, both specifically on their diplomacy screen before the war and in the war declaration screen. I guess they just got into a bunch of alliances during the war or something.

My game where I started as Rome by building up to three 4/4/4 armies before going to war has gone much better. Now I'm just screwing up the loyalty game - my favourite trick seems to be giving a position to a member of a scorned family in an attempt to unscorn the family and make them loyal, but the position isn't enough to do that so I get the worst of both worlds - a scorned family that now controls powerful positions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone with the Epirus DLC here? Do you guys know if the Epirotes get free claim events? They probably get some in Magna Graecia but I'm interested in knowing if they also get free claims in Greece proper.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Started up an Egypt game. The game definitely feels more substantial now, and removing the instant pop conversion was an extremely good move. I didn't have anything against monarch power in theory, but the new political power system seems to be an okay solution.

Also I know the game has always has an "am I more CK or more EU" ambiguity, but at least I feel like the character stuff is flavorful enough now that I can build at least SOME kind of narrative around my ruling family. Which is nice if you're a fluffy player like me.

I'm a little afraid that playing as a tribal is still going to suck rear end, but I might give it a go here in a bit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone with the Epirus DLC here? Do you guys know if the Epirotes get free claim events? They probably get some in Magna Graecia but I'm interested in knowing if they also get free claims in Greece proper.

Nope, just Magna Graecia.

Davincie posted:

isnt political influence just monarch power under another name and with a few uses taken away

The fact that the amount which you output is based on something other than your ruler stats is very important to some people.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope, just Magna Graecia.

Rad, thank you.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Drone posted:

Also I know the game has always has an "am I more CK or more EU" ambiguity, but at least I feel like the character stuff is flavorful enough now that I can build at least SOME kind of narrative around my ruling family. Which is nice if you're a fluffy player like me.

I'm a little afraid that playing as a tribal is still going to suck rear end, but I might give it a go here in a bit.

So far I actually find tribal and monarchies the most fun. They really made centralizing and decentralizing tribes much more intuitive by breaking the laws up into independent tracks. The clan chiefs give a certain long term character continuity that can draw you into caring about the characters.

Republic mechanics seem mostly ignorable and leaders change often enough that you don't really build relationships with individual characters. You just get thrown new leader who might as well be random every 5 years and run with it.

Overall I think there's a solid game with this patch. The thing that most impressed me with my playthrough was how well balanced the military game was. Even after I grew to be the biggest power in the region, there were no easy wars. The interactions between attrition and manpower, combined with the diplomatic side and mercenaries, meant that I could only overwhelm small powers by draining my manpower reserves and I rarely met my full war goals. Playing in Arabia, the supply could be so vicious that I'd actually build cities near contentious borders to up the supply and support a bigger garrison.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Flavius Aetass posted:

Please do not make fun of leukemia kids.

Imperator Rome: Make-A-Wish Update 1.2

Did they change the tutorial to match all the 1.2 mechanics? I didn't find any information on this. I didn't play since release and can't remember sh*t about this game, a tutorial would be much needed.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Lol Paradox updating tutorials

That's a good one

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does Imperator have the stupid EU thing where you want to rotate fresh armies into battles every couple days?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Great patch, feels like there are more character based events and interactions? I hope that they lean into that more for future updates.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

There a good effortpost for what's changed between release and 1.2? Lots of stuff seems different now, boats, buildings, inventions, pop migration and assimilation, cities vs settlements, food and population cap, those would be the big ones I'm wondering about. Felt like I knew what to do with the release mechanics, now I'm kinda lost. What's optimal and efficient now?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Feels a bit weird to pump Rome full of tax buildings, but if that is what brings the money....

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Changes were great in Beta, I'll give them a try tonight.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Great patch, feels like there are more character based events and interactions? I hope that they lean into that more for future updates.

Same here, the more internal drama, the more the nation feels alive.

Playing as migrating tribe now, and so far i noticed :

- Retinues are a lot smaller, instead of getting 50k troops, they stay on 6-9k, free troops but mostly useless.
- due to retinues being so small, unloyal clan chieftains aren't a threat anymore and -
- every civil war i had as a tribe before, was because of unloyal retinues that accounted for more then 1/3 of my army, they don't even come close now.
- stability at less then 1, but my tribe has never been more stable. (you use stability to migrate)
- Barbarians never settle, or wants to settle, no matter what. (they always used to want to), so no more troubling free pops to rise your population like i used to.
- Migrations are now faster then before, which is good.
- treasury is mostly positive, but still can't afford new inventions or buildings.

I'd like to see how this patch plays in multiplayer, see if all empires are still as stable as before

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there a button somewhere I'm missing that raises centralization in exchange for PP when playing tribal, or does centralization only raise by random event effects?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Drone posted:

Is there a button somewhere I'm missing that raises centralization in exchange for PP when playing tribal, or does centralization only raise by random event effects?

Laws. Your main source of centralisation is laws.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Drone posted:

You have a lot of laws that you can change what will increase centralization for PP & stability.
and maybe some Government Interactions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Laws. Your main source of centralisation is laws.

Ah, derp.

Okay, so I'm sitting at 100% centralization with a +35% maximum civilization level with Menapia in AUC 485 (god I hate this loving calendar they chose). Seems like my main bottleneck now in order to become non-tribal is that maximum civilization level, which I can only raise via research at this point (I already took Rights of Birth). However it seems like my pops refuse to promote into citizens, which I desperately need in order to fix my 8% research efficiency. Despite having all of my provinces on the "Social Mobility" governor policy for what feels like ages, none of my pops are currently promoting to civs. In fact, most of them are showing as demoting to Slaves.

Do tribesmen need to be demoted to slaves before they are then eligible for promotion into freemen, and then citizens?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You can found a city in your capital and use the, uh, the civilisation-boosting thing. It's on the left hand side of the province view, looks like a marble block and a pillar iirc.

Expensive as all get-out, though.

A city'll fix your citizen problem too, I think- that's where citizens like to be.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
should i go republic or monarchy in my albion play through

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Sampatrick posted:

should i go republic or monarchy in my albion play through

Monarchies are more fun due to character/dynasty continuity, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Drone posted:

Ah, derp.

Okay, so I'm sitting at 100% centralization with a +35% maximum civilization level with Menapia in AUC 485 (god I hate this loving calendar they chose). Seems like my main bottleneck now in order to become non-tribal is that maximum civilization level, which I can only raise via research at this point (I already took Rights of Birth). However it seems like my pops refuse to promote into citizens, which I desperately need in order to fix my 8% research efficiency. Despite having all of my provinces on the "Social Mobility" governor policy for what feels like ages, none of my pops are currently promoting to civs. In fact, most of them are showing as demoting to Slaves.

Do tribesmen need to be demoted to slaves before they are then eligible for promotion into freemen, and then citizens?

Might be the ideal pop fraction in your provinces screwing you over? If that's the case then you want to build more... well I can't remember which building, but the one that gives +citizen fraction

^^agreed that monarchies are more fun to play right now. The constantly changing leaders in republics are kind of a pain in the rear end. I think if their terms were longer, and could be extended via tyranny (which already might be in, it's been a minute), and the party effects were stronger or otherwise significant, that would help a bit.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 26, 2019