Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, like, there's some rushed elements, but they're mostly in the "and then that person was given a flimsy, but coherent excuse to exit stage left" flavor.

Overall enjoyed VRAINS, kinda bummed to see it go without giving Go a big moment, but it's still a competent YGO entry that played with some very interesting concepts from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I dropped VRAINS a while ago. I think it was a combination of Arc-V's lackluster ending and VRAINS not hitting the ground running.

My hope for the new series is that it's set in modern times. Go back to magic rather than virtual reality.

BTW, does anyone have Link Evolution for the Switch? I'm looking to duel.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yugioh animes only need to clear two bars to really work for me:
1. A good mix of occult and technology. DSoD and 5Ds Dark Signers arc hit the right buttons for me with that, if you want to know my personal taste.
2. Compelling characters with emphasis on characters other than the protagonist doing things. Think first season of Arc-V or Battle City.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, the absolute biggest problem with VRAINS was it refused to slow down at any point. There's barely any duels in the whole season that aren't either life-threatening or would have severe consequences, so the story and characters never get to breath. Look at GX, the duels with big stakes start after you've grown accustomed to the cast, it doesn't just rush in. If Jaden's fourth or fifth duel had been the one on the volcano or against the vampire lady that would have been like how Vrains did things.

Having a whole VR world where characters have roles and jobs would have been perfect for some low stakes stuff but they just dodged it every time to do recaps.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Oh god, the recaps. I bowed out of VRAINS around the third one of those. Imagine having the balls to do a loving clip show in the 21st century, much less several of them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hot take, but VRAINS needed a tournament arc to help slow things down and let some of the side characters actually fuckin' win a duel or two. :colbert:

EDIT: Honestly that's one of the things that drives me nuts about VRAINS. None of the main characters really care about the game itself. No one cares about their monsters past Aoi going 'I'm using this deck because my friend used this deck.' They're just tools for everyone, no one has any kind of connection with their deck and I hate it.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 8, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skeleton Mom posted:

Oh god, the recaps. I bowed out of VRAINS around the third one of those. Imagine having the balls to do a loving clip show in the 21st century, much less several of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Hot take, but VRAINS needed a tournament arc to help slow things down and let some of the side characters actually fuckin' win a duel or two. :colbert:

EDIT: Honestly that's one of the things that drives me nuts about VRAINS. None of the main characters really care about the game itself. No one cares about their monsters past Aoi going 'I'm using this deck because my friend used this deck.' They're just tools for everyone, no one has any kind of connection with their deck and I hate it.

In fact you probably could have replaced the card games with actual combat at times and it likely wouldn’t have made much of a difference. VRAINS didn’t really feel like a Yugioh series to me in that regard (especially as we got closer to the end). Having multiple clip shows didn’t help much either (hell, I’m pretty sure at least two of them were only about 5-10 episodes apart from one another).

Hopefully the next season will be better. Also 2020’s an anniversary year so I’m guessing they’ve got something big planned.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

In fact you probably could have replaced the card games with actual combat at times and it likely wouldn’t have made much of a difference. VRAINS didn’t really feel like a Yugioh series to me in that regard (especially as we got closer to the end). Having multiple clip shows didn’t help much either (hell, I’m pretty sure at least two of them were only about 5-10 episodes apart from one another).

Yeah, that right there is the problem. You can remove cards entirely from the show and it would barely matter in the grand scheme of things.

Larryb posted:

Hopefully the next season will be better. Also 2020’s an anniversary year so I’m guessing they’ve got something big planned.

The current rumor is that it's a mega crossover show (since it's the 25th year of the franchise and 20th of the anime). I kind of hope not, because I can't deal with Crow showing up for another season. :argh:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Vandar posted:

Yeah, that right there is the problem. You can remove cards entirely from the show and it would barely matter in the grand scheme of things.

The current rumor is that it's a mega crossover show (since it's the 25th year of the franchise and 20th of the anime). I kind of hope not, because I can't deal with Crow showing up for another season. :argh:

A mega crossover would be great. ARC-V done right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We had Arc-V just a couple years ago and Bonds Beyond Time just a couple years before that. And Duel Links and Speed Dueling and all that are a super stripped down version of the game. I'd kind of prefer if Yu-Gi-Oh could like. Move forward and figure its poo poo out instead of doing crossovers, stripping features or making dumb choices like Master Rule 4.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MJeff posted:

We had Arc-V just a couple years ago and Bonds Beyond Time just a couple years before that. And Duel Links and Speed Dueling and all that are a super stripped down version of the game. I'd kind of prefer if Yu-Gi-Oh could like. Move forward and figure its poo poo out instead of doing crossovers, stripping features or making dumb choices like Master Rule 4.

Bonds Beyond Time was a decade ago. I'd be absolutely okay with a Bonds Beyond Time II though, featuring Yuya, Yuma, and Yusaku.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Vandar posted:

Bonds Beyond Time was a decade ago. I'd be absolutely okay with a Bonds Beyond Time II though, featuring Yuya, Yuma, and Yusaku.

If they spend the entire special making GBS threads on Yuya I'm all for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think VRAINS was a very solid commercial for Duel Links. The faster format really worked with the F2P model and I did rack up some significant play-time in the months that I played it. I don't think I would have even tried the game if not for VRAINS.

Wasn't a very good show though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Roughly twenty-eight hours remain until the final episode of VRAINS.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Vrains opting to keep it classy and go out with the protagonist dabbing on everyone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bad end. Literally nothing in this season mattered.

I knew things would be rushed and probably not great but yeesh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, that happened. Hopefully next season will be better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Haven't watched the final episode yet, but it sucks to hear it's a nothing ending. I was enjoying Ai and Robopoppi as villians.

Where does VRAINS fall in the Yu-Gi-Oh rankings for everyone?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Haven't watched the final episode yet, but it sucks to hear it's a nothing ending. I was enjoying Ai and Robopoppi as villians.

It's next to last for me, right above Duel Monsters.

Season one is incredibly uneven and riddled with production issues. The Tower of Hanoi arc is pretty solid but the rest of the season is...meh.
Season two is better and but still ends up making GBS threads on most of the cast, and Bohman is such an utterly nothing character.
Season three is when the series finally gets legit good, so of course they cut it short and the ending itself is just bad. :argh:

I'm going to write up my thoughts on the series as a whole later after I've had some time to think about it, but...yeah. I'd rather watch nearly any other Yugioh series than try to go through VRAINS again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I haven't watched the last few episodes, but pretty much dead center for me. It wasn't complete garbage, but it wasn't great either. Most of my complaints with VRAINS are consistent complaints throughout the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime as a franchise, nothing unique to the series.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For me, it's pretty drat low.

I watched Season 1, it looked interesting, the start was incredibly slow...like slow even for Yu-Gi-Oh! slow...but then it just never got fun. I peaced out around the time of Blue Angel's brother fighting the protagonist for whatever reason and it was kind of stupid then.

I watched the death scene of Roboppi on YouTube and it was very sad...but that was about it. I don't think I'll watch the whole show.

Hell, this happens a lot with me and Yu-Gi-Oh! shows that aren't Duel Monsters. I'll find it boring halfway through and just stop. It started with GX where I stopped around the time of Edo Phoenix showing up, then I came back when Yubel dueled Judai and then they merged. Then I stopped after that and went back to it when Darkness showed up near the end of the series. That was nonsensical and fun.

5Ds, I watched until the stuff with the Crimson Dragon in Season 1...then just never came back.

ZEXAL was just...stopped super early. Sometime after the duel with the dojo guy who used old Duel Monsters cards...I think that was in ZEXAL? I don't know.

ARC-V was right before Yuya transformed into the dragony thing. I got bored right before that.

VRAINS? Its below all of those things. I couldn't even make it past one of the supposed "crucial duels" or whatever with Playmaker and the pseudo-Kaiba guy.

Also I'm not a huge fan of Master Rule 4 in Link Evolution so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VRAINS was the first Yugioh series I watched while it was still airing so out of curiosity when do we typically start getting information regarding the next season?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Apparently we'll hear about it in December's V-Jump? So it's taking a bit of a break which is probably a good thing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

VRAINS was the first Yugioh series I watched while it was still airing so out of curiosity when do we typically start getting information regarding the next season?

Usually on December at JUMP FESTA. This time's pretty unique because it's the first time the anime ends with a gap between seasons, usually when a yugioh ends, the next one starts a week or two after, or they put people in costumes to fill in for time for a month while vrains is being drawn.

Overall enjoyed it. Ending was pretty strong in the first half, but it ends on a pretty normal anime thing that takes away the punch. I think that's accurate to the whole show; interesting and somber issues discussed, then resolved in painfully average anime tropes.
It probably lands somewhere in the middle for me, too.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/1176829962566930433

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh no, she's aware of her role.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh no, she's aware of her role.

Honestly, that's an improvement over most female leads in this franchise. :shrug:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Remember how the opening implied Pandor would do...anything at all this season?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

She most likely would have had a larger role if the show hadn't ended six months early.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

She most likely would have had a larger role if the show hadn't ended six months early.

Have you seen literally any of the other shows?

E: Being less flippant for a second here, the most consistent thing in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is that as any given series goes on, the female leads become less relevant, not more.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2019

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, that's an improvement over most female leads in this franchise. :shrug:

The poor dimension girls got done dirty...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still mad about Queen cause I thought she was gonna be a bigger deal and then they just cut to the end of her duel and she plays loving Allure Queen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rudoku posted:

The poor dimension girls got done dirty...

just absolutely amazing 3 hit combo on them
brainwashed
sacrificed without accomplishing anything
and then they dont get brought back for the ending

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yuzu spends all of the most important moments of Yuya's arc ASLEEP IN A loving TUBE

Still mad. I'm still mad.

I'm still mad about Queen cause I thought she was gonna be a bigger deal and then they just cut to the end of her duel and she plays loving Allure Queen.

lmao I thought you were loving joking so I went and looked it up and holy poo poo, actual Allure Queen in TYOOL 2019.

I dunno what pisses me off more, that they brought back Allure Queen and made a bunch of support for it or that they did that and DIDN'T retrain the original series of monsters so that their fancy new Link Monster and Field Spell (if they ever get printed in the first place) might matter.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 26, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Remember Aki?

Remember how cool she was?

Remember when her screentime got forever eaten up by a guy playing a deck of overgrown chickens?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Remember when the fusion arc brought back that one girl from GX and she just got owned by Yuri

I mean everyone got owned by Yuri but it's the principle of the thing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember Aki?

Remember when her screentime got forever eaten up by a guy playing a deck of overgrown chickens?

Yeeeeeep. One of the most infuriating things in the entire loving franchise. I honestly loving hate Crow, entirely because of this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rannum posted:

Remember when the fusion arc brought back that one girl from GX and she just got owned by Yuri

I mean everyone got owned by Yuri but it's the principle of the thing

Nah. Nah. Naaaaah.

She didn't get owned by Yuri.

She got owned by Yuri using a structure deck. She didn't even rate high enough to get eaten by Starving Venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember Aki?

Remember her role for the tournament, Team BENCH WARMER