Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man I really wanted to submit something for the bonerjam but I just... completely dropped the ball on it and had like no time or ideas in the last few weeks, although at least the ideas bit has never kept me before.

You got 5 days, and there’s no video requirement or anything like that.

I’m not done with mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Philthy posted:

I got an email saying Izotope is giving away Ozone Elements 8 for free. So I grabbed it and it's decent, but heres a question.

I've new to eq'ing and mastering. All the EQ tools I have come across only seem to do a single channel at a time. What I want to do is to see my bassline channel overlayed onto my kick channel. I want to see two independent waveforms doing their own thing and I can see the overlap where I decide to lower the bassline at such and such a mark or the kick.

Do any EQs do this? Or is it actually possible in Ozone Elements. Because if I were to pay for any sort of EQ or mastering app, I'd want that as the most basic functionality. Or am I asking for too much? Maybe that's why it's free?

You might be able to do it with a bus channel running a stereo spectrometer with the two input channels hard panned. It’s not necessarily an EQ tho

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Philthy posted:

I got an email saying Izotope is giving away Ozone Elements 8 for free. So I grabbed it and it's decent, but heres a question.

I've new to eq'ing and mastering. All the EQ tools I have come across only seem to do a single channel at a time. What I want to do is to see my bassline channel overlayed onto my kick channel. I want to see two independent waveforms doing their own thing and I can see the overlap where I decide to lower the bassline at such and such a mark or the kick.

Do any EQs do this? Or is it actually possible in Ozone Elements. Because if I were to pay for any sort of EQ or mastering app, I'd want that as the most basic functionality. Or am I asking for too much? Maybe that's why it's free?
You're asking too much in the sense that most DAWs aren't equipped to do this on a pretty fundamental level. You would need to be able to route multiple tracks directly into the plugin instead of into a mixer channel. As most DAWs have their effect rack as a subsection of the mixer, that's a hard one. This also prevented side chaining for the longest time.

It's possible in some modular hosts. I don't actually know how Reaper, Live or Cubase deal with side chaining these days, but I assume there's a way now. Hiking on the back of 5.1 surround support perhaps. But multi-in effects plugins are exceedingly rare as a consequence of it not being a native feature of the most popular hosts for very long.

What you're looking for may exist, but it will definitely be niche rather than 'most basic'.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Philthy posted:

As some others have said, DAWs fundamentally don't route audio in a way that could make this a basic feature of any plugin. I have a feeling izotope ozone and/or neutron can do this, since multiple instances of those plugins can talk to each other.

They also have a plugin called Insight which can probably accomplish the visualization you're going for, without being an EQ or anything else.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Here's a first draft: https://soundcloud.com/pretentiousmanband/evil-empire

I took Reagan's evil empire speech and everything was done within my Synthstrom Deluge.

I didn't realize that the speech was mostly about abortion. I do want to add more to it, but I just want to post to get it out there.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skull mask mcgee posted:

As some others have said, DAWs fundamentally don't route audio in a way that could make this a basic feature of any plugin. I have a feeling izotope ozone and/or neutron can do this, since multiple instances of those plugins can talk to each other.

They also have a plugin called Insight which can probably accomplish the visualization you're going for, without being an EQ or anything else.

Still scratching my head about it I guess. Most DAWs have mixer channels that you assign effects into. If you can read one channel, you should be able to link all the other channels and display it in a single app. Maybe it's a VST limitation rather than DAW. How you explained it with the EQ on each channel talking to each other kind of speaks to a limitation here.

At the very easiest most simple way to do this is why not just make the wave analysis part transparent and you simply just stack your EQ instances on top of each other and work with the one that's on top?

Just kinda baffles me I guess.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You could just look at your spectrometer readings by toggling the two channels - or pin the Q and find the problem frequency - and do complementary EQ notching like everyone else has been doing for years.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

skull mask mcgee posted:

As some others have said, DAWs fundamentally don't route audio in a way that could make this a basic feature of any plugin.

This is not true. At all.

Edit: if you couldn't send multiple inputs to one VST, how would you do sidechain compression?

Philthy posted:

Still scratching my head about it I guess. Most DAWs have mixer channels that you assign effects into. If you can read one channel, you should be able to link all the other channels and display it in a single app. Maybe it's a VST limitation rather than DAW. How you explained it with the EQ on each channel talking to each other kind of speaks to a limitation here.

At the very easiest most simple way to do this is why not just make the wave analysis part transparent and you simply just stack your EQ instances on top of each other and work with the one that's on top?

Just kinda baffles me I guess.

VSTs (and the tracks they're associated with) can have as many inputs (and outputs) as you like. It's just a matter of finding one that's designed to do a multi-spectral overlay. I don't think there's anything that'll let you EQ at the same time, but there are definitely plenty of multi-spectrograms:

Paid:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiAnalyzer

Some free options in this list:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/06/24/bpb-freeware-studio-best-free-spectrum-analyzer-vst-plugins/

For what you want to do, just put EQs on each of the tracks and send them to the track with the spectrogram plugin. You can then have the EQs and the spectrogram up in separate windows to see what you're doing.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

On the topic of the bonerjam, I doubt that I'll have time to get a track together, not least of all because I'm learning as I go. That said, I have learned a ton in the past month, and it's been a great motivator.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Philthy posted:

izotope's neutron plugin has this. i forget how exactly to set it up (it might be automatic) but you can select other instances of the plugin from different tracks to show up below at the same time, with a "masking" thing between them to show where frequencies are heavily overlapping. it'll only let you do two tracks at a time (the one you have open + one other one), so you can't do every stem simultaneously or anything, and you also have to have it on every track you want to eq which gets pretty cpu intensive. it works alright on stems—it wasn't as mindblowing as i was expecting, but i didn't spend a ton of time with it.

it also has an auto-mix thing where it uses the masking stuff to choose and tweak a preset automatically, but i couldn't get that to spit out anything that wasn't completely useless (which is why i didn't spend a ton of time with it)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hey so I got something together for the Synth Jamz thingie: https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes/the-cicadas-way

let me know if you need a wav or anything I can send it

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're asking too much in the sense that most DAWs aren't equipped to do this on a pretty fundamental level. You would need to be able to route multiple tracks directly into the plugin instead of into a mixer channel. As most DAWs have their effect rack as a subsection of the mixer, that's a hard one. This also prevented side chaining for the longest time.

It's possible in some modular hosts. I don't actually know how Reaper, Live or Cubase deal with side chaining these days, but I assume there's a way now. Hiking on the back of 5.1 surround support perhaps. But multi-in effects plugins are exceedingly rare as a consequence of it not being a native feature of the most popular hosts for very long.

What you're looking for may exist, but it will definitely be niche rather than 'most basic'.

skull mask mcgee posted:

Waveform/Tracktion can do this, just create a new rack effect, drop the fx and other plugins you need into it, drop an instance of the rack on the output of each track you want to have running thru the rack, and open the rack and route each track to where you want it to go in the rack.

Really what the OP wants is sidechain ducking (which is super common in pro studios); use a compressor on your bassline track as the normal input channel, but you plug the kick into the sidechain input; this has the effect of tricking the compressor into lowering the volume on the bassline a bit every time the kick hits. And it does it automatically, you don’t need to watch a spectrogram and manually do every volume drop.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You could maybe do that with the side chain input being a bus with the notch filter/eq on it so the bass only gets dropped when a specific frequency from the input is hit

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My boner is going to remain unjammed. I was hoping to get something together before I started traveling again, but it's way too late for that and now there's just zero chance.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Stopped by a monthly flea market pop up today that was music gear themed this time. Saw some cool old keyboards/synths out of my price range but one dude had some more modern stuff that he was getting rid of. Electribe 2 for $300 and some Roland Gear including a touch bassline for $200 and a JD-XI for $400. Might swing back by tomorrow and see if he has anything left. Dude said price was negotiable but everything looked super clean and I think he had the original packaging for everything. Anyone have any opinions on this stuff? I hadn’t looked at the bassline before but I noodled with it and it seemed fun. I’ve had my eye on some groove boxes and midsized keys with a vocoder so I’m kinda tempted.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
i have a very firm $200 upper limit on craigslist and flea market sales, sure ive been laughed at but i still went home with a ax80 for $150. All this modern stuff is going to crash out so hard over the next decade, and that guys prices are way too high.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm partway done with a jam, should be wrapped up just in the nick of time.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Stopped by a monthly flea market pop up today that was music gear themed this time. Saw some cool old keyboards/synths out of my price range but one dude had some more modern stuff that he was getting rid of. Electribe 2 for $300 and some Roland Gear including a touch bassline for $200 and a JD-XI for $400. Might swing back by tomorrow and see if he has anything left. Dude said price was negotiable but everything looked super clean and I think he had the original packaging for everything. Anyone have any opinions on this stuff? I hadn’t looked at the bassline before but I noodled with it and it seemed fun. I’ve had my eye on some groove boxes and midsized keys with a vocoder so I’m kinda tempted.

I have a friend who bought the Aira stuff for super cheap (MX-1,System-1, TR-8, TB-3, VT-3) and I gave them a try.

I disliked most of it. A lot of unintuitive stuff, the System-1 and TB-3 where buggy as hell. The TR-8 and VT-3 were OK

Overall not a good impression. It did not felt like the kind of experience I expect from hardware stuff

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have a friend who bought the Aira stuff for super cheap (MX-1,System-1, TR-8, TB-3, VT-3) and I gave them a try.

I disliked most of it. A lot of unintuitive stuff, the System-1 and TB-3 where buggy as hell. The TR-8 and VT-3 were OK

Overall not a good impression. It did not felt like the kind of experience I expect from hardware stuff

I found the TR-8 to be a great first drum machine with a lot of cool options. I eventually outgrew it, but that was more due to a shift towards hip-hop from dance music than anything else. I know the TR8S allows you to load your own samples which is really cool.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Oh holy mother of gently caress.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JupiterX--roland-jupiter-by-synthesizer

I had no idea this was a thing coming out. I want it! Oh God do I want one.

Edit: I never had a Roland ANYTHING and I missed out on the Jupiter 8. This looks like something that would be a nice addition to my stable of synths.

Mistayke fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 30, 2019

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
meh, just another rebadged version of the Fantom, but with the plug-out stuff from the System-8 shoved in.

other than the XLR jacks, mic/line in, and USB, I’m not seeing anything my 20 year old JX-305 doesn’t do (and with almost twice the multitimbrality too; 7 parts + drums vs only 4 + drums).

So tired of Roland just constantly rebranding the same synth engine over and over and over again and marketing it as some huge revolutionary thing every. drat. year.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Is there still 880 era partials in there? It’s not like that behavior is new or unique to them.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Synth meet was loving awesome, I set up in the quad room and was there most of the day.

Had the euro fed into the poltergeist in the silver machine (above) quad out, then the kb37 into MnM out to the fronts. Now I have to figure out htf to cut something in quad. ISTR a million years ago wavelab would 4.0 DVD-A but I think support was killed.
Anyone know what a current process is for that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Anyone familiar with the Fairlight CMI?

https://youtu.be/dPiBWfNAriA]

Ill be honest that UI looks perfect. I kinda wish I could sequence by drawing with a light pen.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 30, 2019

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hear Arturia has a pretty good VST emulation.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://youtu.be/dPiBWfNAriA]

Ill be honest that UI looks perfect. I kinda wish I could sequence by drawing with a light pen.

I been doing it for years now, it’s called “use a DAW with a UI that isn’t rooted in 70 years of hardware and industry design norms”

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Here is my entry: https://soundcloud.com/jocko-homomorphism/simultaneous-mutual-noises

Fingers crossed I got the compression right this time.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Militant Lesbian posted:

I been doing it for years now, it’s called “use a DAW with a UI that isn’t rooted in 70 years of hardware and industry design norms”

Out of curiosity, what DAW?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, what DAW?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Stan Taylor posted:

I've got the TB-3 and it does fine for acid. I've been able to convert all my favorite Phoscyon loops over to it easily enough and get them to be indistinguishable over an A/B switch. It does a lot more. Haven't found it to be buggy, personally. It's built good. I got mine for $135 and it is easily worth that. Maybe you can haggle. If I lost it today, I'd probably track one down again or maybe try the Nubass cuz it's new and shiny. (What a loving name)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I had one that I liked and sold it and now I want another one for sick leads that I can draw with my finger on the touchpad

I heard there’s an editor out for custom patches now too

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, there are DAW bridges that let you work the controls in real-time, as well as controls you can't access via the device itself. The built-in patches have pre-assigned effects to them. The bridges will let you pick whatever you want and change that. Maybe a few other things I can't remember. Mostly tho, I just find a sound I like and tweak away and end up just boppin my head for an hour and forget whatever the gently caress I was trying to do in the first place.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Soooooo yeah, doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make the deadline for this Boner Jamz.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwsQnB2jDsA

While I have iVSC3 and a Launch Control XL, this looks like a hell of a lot more fun, especially when it comes to oscillator frequency.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
BJ

lossless

http://www.mediafire.com/file/npyg6x5xtj5frty/Mr_D%2Ack_trash_to_fasc.wav/file

Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/trash-to-fasc

Mr. Dick would've liked this to be a constantly ongoing thing. The fasc is far from vanquished and the people need beats. The synth thread is fine, the synth thread has always been fine, but lacks the numbers to keep any real momentum going. There's nowhere else on this dead gay forum to draw from. D&D is still too polite, CSPAMs brownshirts will be virtually indistinguishable from those on the right.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

VSTs are great, but dammit I need KNOBS now that I've gotten my feet wet

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

rickiep00h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwsQnB2jDsA

While I have iVSC3 and a Launch Control XL, this looks like a hell of a lot more fun, especially when it comes to oscillator frequency.

This demo makes me want to go get my black combat boots out and start stomping around. It's industrial in a box.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Philthy posted:

This demo makes me want to go get my black combat boots out and start stomping around. It's industrial in a box.

I mean, functionally it's just an EMS Synthi/VCS3, but the addition of some CV and MIDI makes it so, so much more.

That said, almost all of Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" was created using the Synthi, plus Eno used one for loving EVERYTHING in the '70s. It's an amazing lil box even without more modern poo poo, and to have something similarly designed with modern components makes me all tingly. Unfortunately it's still $2700 or so.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
There'll be a chintzy Behringer VCS clone out before you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Have I got the (slightly cheaper) thing for you that should satisfy that urge: https://www.analoguesolutions.com/impulse-command

a mysterious cloak posted:

VSTs are great, but dammit I need KNOBS now that I've gotten my feet wet

I don't want to rain on your parade but as someone used to KNOBS this always has been a bit of a disappointment for me.

Most controllers come with 8 knobs, 8 sliders and 8 pads. On subtractive synths, that's suitable to cover

- 2 ADSR envelopes (filter + amp)
- filter cutoff, filter resonance
- LFO rate, LFO waveform
- 2 x oscillator waveform / wavetable position / pulsewidth, oscillator pitch

The pads are just a duplicate of some keys on the keyboard so they don't really count, unless you assign them as toggles/momentary switches.

For the more detailed stuff, you have to use paging (which changes all the assignments unless you duplicate them on a page), or you're stuck with going back to the mouse anyway.

What's worse is that the knobs and sliders aren't grouped; they're generic. The advantage of grouping/categorization is that muscle memory is really helped by having clusters of controls. This is done correctly on a Roland Jupiter 8, and it tends to be implemented better with slider-based interfaces than knob-based interfaces. Extreme example: Prophet REV2. Really nice synth, but the only visual separation between clusters is a white line; the distance between all knobs is grid-based, so pretty much equal.