Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Akademik Lomonosov, you mean. I'm sure it's just teething problems.

Huh never heard of it

quote:

the first Russian floating nuclear power station

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Akademik Lomonosov, you mean. I'm sure it's just teething problems.

The Admiral Kuznetsov is going to retaliate by polluting the world super hard so that all walruses will die

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well well well I guess that settles the 30 Years War, Popes win!

(also lol at Mormonism getting it's own color while Shinto is "folk/traditional")

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

xthetenth posted:

From people I've asked about the use of the things, there's a lot less functional differentiation as much as practical role differentiation. A SAW is an SAW because it's a belt fed that one guy can manage. You can fire it from the shoulder in theory, but the bigger thing is that the one guy can and does manage it. This has upsides and downsides. When it comes time to move, a SAW with all its ammo nice and tidy in a nutsack can come along. Meanwhile a GPMG is like as not to have a guy gunning it, and a guy paying attention to the ammo supply, linking new belts to the old belt so it's got sustained fire. For a SAW, you'd check up with the dude and if he doesn't have enough fire in it, have him top off before doing whatever he's covering. Unless it's static defense, you basically won't be connecting belts end to end on a SAW.

At least that's what the guys who've done all the fancy military machine gun theory learning have told me.

This gives me the impression that a SAW is a system involving a machine gun that is self-contained on its gunner, and can be moved by one man at any given time, more than a particular case statement on chambering, though chambering is a decent indicator of whether a gun is meant for that role?

There's a lot of GPMGs that can and would be handled by a single soldier. Dutch practice with the FN MAG was to the gunner have assisted feeding from a long belt, then switch over to a 50-round belt when moving, to allow him to act without his assistant. The UK vz.59, another GPMG, seems to have been operated without an assistant in the squad machine gun role in the 80s. Even going back to the MG34, the 50-round assault magazines were made to allow the machine gunner to operate the weapon by himself rather than requiring a two-man crew to move and fire it.

When you get down to it, a "squad automatic weapon" (and most other military terms like it) is more like... a list of requirements/a statement of intent, and whichever weapon you issue to meet those requirements is definitionally a "squad automatic weapon". Other weapons used by other armed forces aren't going to fit that definition perfectly, because the requirements/statement of intent is slightly different.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

LatwPIAT posted:

When you get down to it, a "squad automatic weapon" (and most other military terms like it) is more like... a list of requirements/a statement of intent, and whichever weapon you issue to meet those requirements is definitionally a "squad automatic weapon". Other weapons used by other armed forces aren't going to fit that definition perfectly, because the requirements/statement of intent is slightly different.

Yeah, what I'm getting at is that it seems like a SAW is a role more than a list of weapon characteristics. I'd say that it's entirely possible to use a rifle caliber GPMG in a SAW role for instance. It might suck a bit, but there's a good amount of stuff that exists to make it work and people do it, with some tradeoffs. It's more like the idea of a heavy machine gun as the GPMG with a tripod and all the fixins rather than the idea of it being anything chambered in .50.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

zoux posted:

(also lol at Mormonism getting it's own color while Shinto is "folk/traditional")

How did that group of Buddhists end up in the Caucuses

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Golden Horde / Kalmyks.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've been reading a biography of Stalin:

Stephen Kotkin, "Waiting for Hitler", p556 posted:

Following a duce state visit to Berlin in September 1937, according to Albert Speer, Hitler pantomimed him [Mussolini]. "His chin thrust forward, his legs spread, and his right hand jammed on his hip, Hitler, who spoke no foreign languages, bellowed Italian or Italian-sounding words like giovinezza, patria, victoria, macaroni, belleza, bel canto, and basta. Everyone around him made sure to laugh, and it was indeed very funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It is pretty funny but it definitely refutes the internet wisdom of "you can always do an italian accent. It is never racist". I mean, just consider the source.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jack2142 posted:

Those are the Kalmyks, they fled the eastern steppe in the early 17th century and basically attached themselves to the Russian tsardom.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Milo and POTUS posted:

It is pretty funny but it definitely refutes the internet wisdom of "you can always do an italian accent. It is never racist". I mean, just consider the source.

If Hitler imitated Mussolini and Musso imitated Hitler then who would be more racist, or would it be considered as joking among equals?

I feel like Hitler doing his best Tojo impression would be worse.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

PittTheElder posted:

Those are the Kalmyks, they fled the eastern steppe in the early 17th century and basically attached themselves to the Russian tsardom.

They actually headed West in search of Stardom, but once in Russia they settled for only being one letter off

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The truth is kinda boring:

clickbait posted:

The scientists were aboard a Russian Navy tugboat known as the Altai on an expedition to the Franz Josef Land archipelago in the Arctic Ocean this week right before the unusual human-animal interaction occurred. They boarded a small rubber landing craft and were en route to the shore to study its flora and fauna when a female walrus attacked, sinking the vessel

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if they managed to piss off one of the most gregarious animals on earth, they probably deserve whatever she did to them

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HEY GUNS posted:

if they managed to piss off one of the most gregarious animals on earth, they probably deserve whatever she did to them

Well walruses are pretty territorial. I learned that from Octonauts.

If you somehow managed to make a capybara mad at you then there's seriously no helping you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Memento posted:

If you somehow managed to make a capybara mad at you then there's seriously no helping you.
Challenge accepted :colbert:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Memento posted:

Well walruses are pretty territorial. I learned that from Octonauts.
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1176633220772896768

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JcDent posted:

That's why you print the legend

Krazyface posted:

I've been reading a biography of Stalin:

Reminds me of the scene in Death of Stalin where Khrushchev is going over the jokes he told around Stalin and writing down which ones were hits and which missed

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JcDent posted:

quote:

According to National Geographic, walruses near the Arctic Circle can weigh in at as much as 1.5 tons, reaching between 7.25 and 11.5 feet – twice the size of a human.

That's some...interesting math.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, y'all don't weigh 1800 lbs and stand 5' tall? Uh, me neither.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
aw poo poo yeah
slightly less than a small walrus over here

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

zoux posted:

I guess it's cause Shinto doesn't have the same emphasis on doctrine and scripture as Buddhism or any of the Abrahamic faiths. I've heard arguments that you shouldn't even call it Shinto before the Meiji era, since it makes it sound like it's more unified and less regional than it was in the pre-Meiji times.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Phanatic posted:

quote:

1.5 tons

quote:

twice the size of a human

Only in :911:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

golden bubble posted:

I guess it's cause Shinto doesn't have the same emphasis on doctrine and scripture as Buddhism or any of the Abrahamic faiths. I've heard arguments that you shouldn't even call it Shinto before the Meiji era, since it makes it sound like it's more unified and less regional than it was in the pre-Meiji times.
When you put it that way, it makes it sound like the Meiji alterations to religious doctrine was like that thing in Crusader Kings 2 where you formalize your nation's pagan practices.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 25, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

zoux posted:

Oh, y'all don't weigh 1800 lbs and stand 5' tall? Uh, me neither.

I am sorry to tell you this but you have caught a disease that has turned you into a small portable artillery piece.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

SeanBeansShako posted:

a small portable artillery piece.

:flaccid:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am sorry to tell you this but you have caught a disease that has turned you into a small portable artillery piece.

I'm proud of it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Laddie, have ye ever considered joining the Royal Arse Hortillery?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Elyv posted:

The Admiral Kuznetsov is going to retaliate by polluting the world super hard so that all walruses will die
Is this a good point to repeat my half-founded assertion highly professional OSINT analysis that she currently has no boilers and the Russians currently have no way of putting boilers into her?She's the world's most environmentally friendly aircraft carrier.

Except for all the lead paint I guess.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

So from machine gun and mortar chat there seems to be a big disconnect between what weapon a was designed for vs what it was good for.

I'm curious if there are any examples where something was amazing at an unintended role and if anyone realized this and ran with it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

honda whisperer posted:

So from machine gun and mortar chat there seems to be a big disconnect between what weapon a was designed for vs what it was good for.

I'm curious if there are any examples where something was amazing at an unintended role and if anyone realized this and ran with it.

Mustard gas turned out to be a great treatment for lymphoma.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

honda whisperer posted:

The M16 Gun Carriage used 4 .50cal Browning M2s and was designed for anti-air against low flying aircraft.

Then they realized it was also good if say, a Nazi sniper was in a tree and you needed to encourage him to come down. It was so good as an anti-infantry weapon it got the nickname "Meat Chopper".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The M50 Ontos was a bunch of heavy recoilless rifles on a light armoured chassis. Originally designed for tank busting, the Army rejected it and it was subsequently snapped up by the Marines and sent to Vietnam. It didn't find many tanks to bust, but it turns out that a lightweight, small-arms-proof vehicle throwing heavy explosive shells was brilliant at supporting infantry fighting dug-in infantry.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Pom Pom guns which were light artillery being adapted into an anti-air role comes to mind to me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bad pilots turned into kamikazes

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

honda whisperer posted:

There's a huge variety of WWII era anti-tank and tank guns that got their start as AA guns. Turns out a gun that throws shells at high velocity is just what you need, and better yet a lot of them have good HE shells already. Some of these even go back quite a ways, like the US 3-inch gun M1918, which goes back to WWII, when tanks didn't need nearly that much to take out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
88mm Flak gun and also the 90mm aa gun the italians used, not so hard to see why they wouldnt eventually see use that way but still.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The U2V/PO2

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phanatic posted:

It's Ben Shapiro math

Adbot