Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Crobberts new ship is flying pretty close to the sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Leaks posted:

Specifications:

Manufacture: RSI
Focus: Interdicting
Model: Mantis
LP Size: Small
Ship Size: Small-Medium
(thinking a slightly longer but skinnier in the rear Terrapin with no radar chair but QED in its place)
Cargo: 0-2 SCU (pending if canopy entry, ramp, or elevator)
Modularity: None.
Min Crew: 1
Max Crew: 1
Avionics:

Radar: M
Computers: S
Weapons:

Guns: 2x s3 gimbaled or s4 fixed
Missiles: 2x s2 rack / 2x2 s1's or 2x s3 racks / 2x2 s2's
Utility:

QED (Quantum Enforcement Device)
System:

PP: small
Coolers: small x2
SG: small
Thrusters:

2-4 main
2 retro
6-8 maneuvering
Propulsion:

Fuel Intakes: small
Fuel Tanks: 2x small
QD: small
JD: small
QFT: small
Price:

From 150 USD to 220*** USD

Basing it off of the niche role of the Gladiator but starting as low as a ship comparable to its probable size without multi-crew.
**\* Only difference is the Terrapin / Gladiator needs two people to operate effectively making it multi crew thus raising the price.

The absolute brilliance of tying every single stupid-rear end game mechanic to a 200+ dollar price tag cannot be overstated. Kudos, CIG. Looking forward to moderately inconveniencing some people in my 200 dollar spaceship.

Also LOL that the ship is basically unable to fight effectively. Hope you bought a couple of backups!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

The absolute brilliance of tying every single stupid-rear end game mechanic to a 200+ dollar price tag cannot be overstated. Kudos, CIG. Looking forward to moderately inconveniencing some people in my 200 dollar spaceship.

Also LOL that the ship is basically unable to fight effectively. Hope you bought a couple of backups!

A bunch of people on the subreddit are saying, "Settle down, I'm sure they're not actually tying this mechanic to one ship, they haven't NOT said it will eventually be a module on other ships!"

Except for now, they ARE doing that, and are selling this as THE interdiction ship. Might they change that later? Sure. But they're still doing this, now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
We lost the stupid console thread and I don’t know where to pop this.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/atari_retro_console/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If they do make interdiction a module that other ships can install than it just nullifies this ship since it can't do anything else effectively.

The problem with SC is that to fix and balance the game would upset their whales too much because it invalidates the unseemly amounts of money they spent to be special and above everyone else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

If they do make interdiction a module that other ships can install than it just nullifies this ship since it can't do anything else effectively.

The problem with SC is that to fix and balance the game would upset their whales too much because it invalidates the unseemly amounts of money they spent to be special and above everyone else.

Yep. They have a vested interest in NOT allowing any other ship to do interdiction. Which they will stick to until the moment they think they can make more money by putting it on another ship, and hoping everyone will forget about this, just like they're hoping everyone will forget about all the concept-stage ships they sold but clearly don't intend to ever finish.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Amazing how they can't implement any mechanics, yet manage to whip something up when they have a $150-$200, low-mid tier, suck rear end utility/industrial ship that wouldn't otherwise sell. The Prospector was a great example of poo poo that nobody would buy, but oh look, it has a laser that breaks up rocks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You gotta admire the gall of a company that ask you to pay them ridiculous sums of money to enjoy their game's basic features and beta test for them. That is stunning.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chaosapiant posted:

Wouldn't Dwarf Fortress be close if not beating DNF for total dev time?

The entirety of Dwarf Fortress resides in a procedule cave within Stat Citizen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So apparently CIG has swung back hard in the opposite direction on rental prices- a 1-day rental will now be 2% of the ship's total price or something like that.

An enterprising Citizen has calculated what that actually means for ship prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F56ZCKsh1JKYfvh6eQrwfyAvNifj2ShrQ7P4PDL2T-Q/edit#gid=0

If this goes live as-is, people will be able to check out any of the starter ships for less than one mission's full payout. Many of the 200+ dollar ships could be picked up with the equivalent of a couple of hours of work. To be honest, if it weren't for the PU resetting every 3 months, this would feel like a very good place for ship rental prices to be. Given how lazy Citizens are, I doubt it would even impact the ship store very much- most of them wouldn't think twice about dropping 500 bucks or whatever to avoid having to actually play the game for any length of time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Out of the half dozen or so companies that have sold things under the name Atari, how many have not had these major screwups? It's becoming a sign to stay away at this point.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

So apparently CIG has swung back hard in the opposite direction on rental prices- a 1-day rental will now be 2% of the ship's total price or something like that.

An enterprising Citizen has calculated what that actually means for ship prices: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F56ZCKsh1JKYfvh6eQrwfyAvNifj2ShrQ7P4PDL2T-Q/edit#gid=0

If this goes live as-is, people will be able to check out any of the starter ships for less than one mission's full payout. Many of the 200+ dollar ships could be picked up with the equivalent of a couple of hours of work. To be honest, if it weren't for the PU resetting every 3 months, this would feel like a very good place for ship rental prices to be. Given how lazy Citizens are, I doubt it would even impact the ship store very much- most of them wouldn't think twice about dropping 500 bucks or whatever to avoid having to actually play the game for any length of time.

If this goes live, somebody will go cray cray, because this is absolutely insane to the other side indeed. Do one mission, rent a better ship, do another mission (better?) in it or haul some cargo (supposed it's stable by then - haha) and rent end-game ship, do stuff in it that allows you to buy it indefinitely.

I can see people getting end-game money-making ships over a day or weekend with this approach, meaning the other ships (like 890J and such) won't be luxurious, because once you have THE meta money-making ship, you can get any ship you want fast (sorta like current newbie void opal progression in Elite - Sidewinder => Adder => Python => money for anything you want)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is the ship buying stuff supposed to look like, supposedly, when this game...ahem..."launches"? Like, if a ship costs $800 of real world dollars, but another player can earn it in the same time an Elite player can earn, say, an Anaconda, won't the $800 dollar poorer person be both poorer and mad? And if the $800 ship is a totally awesome ship worth the price...somehow....isn't that the absolute worst form of pay to win? I'm not sure I understand the intent.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

What is the ship buying stuff supposed to look like, supposedly, when this game...ahem..."launches"? Like, if a ship costs $800 of real world dollars, but another player can earn it in the same time an Elite player can earn, say, an Anaconda, won't the $800 dollar poorer person be both poorer and mad? And if the $800 ship is a totally awesome ship worth the price...somehow....isn't that the absolute worst form of pay to win? I'm not sure I understand the intent.

That's always been the dilemma, if they balance this game so that a regular player could reasonably earn the expensive ships then they will piss off their whales (which is basically all that's left). There is no reasonable way to "balance" ships that you're charging hundreds of dollars for, someone is going to get screwed over.

Either they balance it to the point that no one would ever pay real money for the ships and their cash flow drys up, or they make it impossible to earn ships in game and no one bothers playing.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Presume CIG is doing this because they either have realised that jpg purchases are not sensitive to rental prices and have thrown the towel or precisely because they want to test how sensitive they are when citizens can get most ships without paying.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hav posted:

quote:

Pro tip: When you’re removed as a Reddit moderator, you may want to review your life choices

lmao

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Oh btw GOG is giving away free copies of Freespace 2 right now, in case any of y'all are nostalgic for that game

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, I don't doubt there will be absolutely be whales complaining that their hundreds to thousands of dollar purchases aren't worth anything if this stays as is.

They were always going to have to choose between new players and whales at some point given the actual dollar value they've set for the ships already. Either they maintain that and make it impossible to get into the game without spending huge sums, or make all the money spent already completely needless.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

Presume CIG is doing this because they either have realised that jpg purchases are not sensitive to rental prices and have thrown the towel or precisely because they want to test how sensitive they are when citizens can get most ships without paying.

Yeah this has to be a test by CIG to see how the whales respond to "plebes" having access to their $800 JPEGs. CIG likely understands that in order for this game to ever have mainstream success they can't rely on overpriced ship sales and players will expect to reasonably be able to earn ships in game so they have to essential under-cut the whales and hope they don't get too upset.

I'm actually pretty curious what the response will be, I'm sure a lot of angry backers feeling betrayed but eventually they'll say "I was only funding development!".

This has been a reckoning a long time coming.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Popete posted:

That's always been the dilemma, if they balance this game so that a regular player could reasonably earn the expensive ships then they will piss off their whales (which is basically all that's left). There is no reasonable way to "balance" ships that you're charging hundreds of dollars for, someone is going to get screwed over.

Either they balance it to the point that no one would ever pay real money for the ships and their cash flow drys up, or they make it impossible to earn ships in game and no one bothers playing.

What they could do, and it's not perfect, is to send whales cool detailed physical models of the ships they bought, maybe a certificate, and some in game skins or something to show everyone what a special snowflake they are.

I just can't even begin to fathom some of the prices. I bought the Elite: Dangerous Lifetime Season pass for like $170 three or four years ago, and that gets me all future season/expansion content, sans cosmetics, forever. Folks in Star Citizen are paying several times that for a ship that might not be in the game and if it is it doesn't matter because there is not game. I just...I don't...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Nice

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Nice!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

I'm actually pretty curious what the response will be, I'm sure a lot of angry backers feeling betrayed but eventually they'll say "I was only funding development!".

Even if they have that response, the net result is that no one will continue spending that kind of money on ships. Unless they actually persuade new players to regularly spend money on the game (lol) they'll have to keep catering to the whales by making the ships extraordinarily difficult to earn in game.

Never implementing ship renting (or releasing the game) has let them avoid the issue thus far. It's going to get more difficult going forward.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
For anyone who likes playing cool & good working space games, the awesome Freespace 2 is free from GOG for next two days: https://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Red Alert 2 cutscenes, though... I think those were my favourite cutscenes ever, even if Yuri was Kane rip-off, kinda.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9qDWXqj

Side note- I predict that while they're releasing the interdiction ship, the interdiction function won't work yet.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/sXWbx1L.gifv

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

chaosapiant posted:

Well, Chris Roberts already waved this problem away. There is no winning in Star Citizen, you win by having fun.

Check-mate, you are dismissed FUDster.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Popete posted:

Yeah this has to be a test by CIG to see how the whales respond to "plebes" having access to their $800 JPEGs. CIG likely understands that in order for this game to ever have mainstream success they can't rely on overpriced ship sales and players will expect to reasonably be able to earn ships in game so they have to essential under-cut the whales and hope they don't get too upset.

The central fear of the whale is loooking stupid for putting so much money into Star Citizen. They've built up a whole bunch of psychological techniques to justify absolutely anything CIG does because if CIG is good then Star Citizen is good and therefore they're not idiots for spending so much on their second life fantasy in space and no-one can say any different. QED, bitch.

We've reached the point when there is simply nothing CIG can do that would not be defended by the white knights / whales because their fragile egos cannot accept the idea that they might have spent their money foolishly. They're all so desperate for respect and validation and so can show no weakness.

Chris has got them exactly where he wants them.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hav posted:

The Register, my god. I used to read that religiously for years, especially for the BOFH.

I'd almost forgot it existed, like slashdot.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tokamak posted:

Amazing how they can't implement any mechanics, yet manage to whip something up when they have a $150-$200, low-mid tier, suck rear end utility/industrial ship that wouldn't otherwise sell. The Prospector was a great example of poo poo that nobody would buy, but oh look, it has a laser that breaks up rocks!

More amazing for me is where this came from, since AFAIK, it wasn't on the roadmap. If so, then its just yet another pointer as to why the roadmap is worthless.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Woo hoo!

Time to rent a Mantis!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:thumbsup:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

This is so wildly unlike CIG that I can only assume it is either a mistake or they are desperately trying to get server populations up or something.

I mean I guess it could be that rentals don't really impact their sales but it's hard to see how.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Farm UEC exploit, rent Aurora, suicide-gank whales, repeat

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

This is so wildly unlike CIG that I can only assume it is either a mistake or they are desperately trying to get server populations up or something.

I mean I guess it could be that rentals don't really impact their sales but it's hard to see how.

Wild thrashing about sounds like another C.R. special.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beet Wagon posted:

As long as they're opaque about what the final prices will be, they probably can keep the ship cash faucet flowing. People will rationalize endlessly that these aren't the final prices and the servers get wiped every 3 months anyway. Until the game is actually finished, none of these prices mean squat... But, again, when they make that commitment, they WILL have to choose between whales and new players. So they're incentivized to never, ever finish.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

If this goes live, somebody will go cray cray, because this is absolutely insane to the other side indeed. Do one mission, rent a better ship, do another mission (better?) in it or haul some cargo (supposed it's stable by then - haha) and rent end-game ship, do stuff in it that allows you to buy it indefinitely.

I can see people getting end-game money-making ships over a day or weekend with this approach, meaning the other ships (like 890J and such) won't be luxurious, because once you have THE meta money-making ship, you can get any ship you want fast (sorta like current newbie void opal progression in Elite - Sidewinder => Adder => Python => money for anything you want)

Well no because there is no game.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Quavers posted:

Farm UEC exploit, rent Aurora, suicide-gank whales, repeat

Bodyblock a door, crash the server, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FailureToReport posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n599Yhwacic

I did a thing, because I need attention.......and because I can't stop laughing at how many backers still haven't realized this ship is one giant troll-machine. The only thing better is CIG in spectrum chat trying to play it down.

I don't normally post my own crap anywhere, but I really wanna hurry this hornet's nest up versus waiting for backers to have their light bulb moment over due time.

was fun to watch. thanks for putting all the effort into this!
i appreciate the inside view from someone who relly knows about the game.