Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Trump’s base evaporates the moment he is not on the ballot and the GOP knows this.

Pence is an empty suite hack who’s only base are rapidly dwindling evangelicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everyone saying Pence can’t win seems to think that the person themselves matter in a presidential election. If they held their nose for Trump, they’ll hold their nose for Pence.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this was never going to happen, if by some miracle Trump is convicted in the senate then Pence will immediately select a new VP.

VPs need to be confirmed by the Senate, if they were hell-bent on making the P and VP slots both empty they could do it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Mike Pence would be uniquely unpopular in every swing state to the degree he'd have difficulty making it to 200 EV's, let alone 270. He is boring, weird, and being associated with the crimes of an impeached president would not in any way help him.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Mike Pence has negative charisma which is part of why Trump selected him. No one to steal any of the spot light. He would absolutely bomb an election.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

I can imagine a scenario in which the media lauds him as "the fever breaking, the Republicans returning to normality," etc, but yeah - I doubt that will be enough in and of itself.

Republicans want any excuse to vote for a republican. Not being Trump is more than enough. Their turnout will be fine. The other factor then is Dem turnout. To the degree that our hopes are pinned on people wanting to vote out Trump, having him already impeached will feel like victory to a lot of people who are currently energized.

The average uninformed voter isn't going to distinguish between Pence and any other republican that they would happily vote for, Bush, Cruz, whoever.

Surprisingly, most lower income Americans that Dems will need in the election do not follow Indiana politics and never heard of Mike Pence until he was VP

Most everyone thought Trump couldn't win. Pence is weird, but an incumbent republican gets all the republican votes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. idk. pence would push more social conservative poo poo and that doesnt fly that well anywhere outside the bible belt. its basicaly ford 2.0 but an evangelical.

Unfortunately, a lot of #NeverTrump types (and #Resistance types) care more about Trump's style than his substance. They'd rather have someone who is socially reactionary but doesn't embarrass them on the world stage quite as much.

I had to explain to my pretty liberal dad the other day why he shouldn't, actually, say that he'd vote for Ted Cruz over Donald Trump. The fact that Cruz "understands the Constitution" better than Trump is not a plus.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Unfortunately, a lot of #NeverTrump types (and #Resistance types) care more about Trump's style than his substance. They'd rather have someone who is socially reactionary but doesn't embarrass them on the world stage quite as much.

Pence caused an HIV outbreak in his own state. He's an embarassment, don't you worry.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Bloop posted:

Surprisingly, most lower income Americans that Dems will need in the election do not follow Indiana politics and never heard of Mike Pence until he was VP

The point is that Pence is so incompetent that he had 40% approval as a Republican in this place:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

there's not enough vulnerable republican senators to get to 67, even if some vulnerable republicans cave and vote to convict, but forcing vulnerable republican senators to vote (either way) on allegations serious enough that their vote is in doubt is a no-win situation for them for their next election

Signally to cut off Trumps border wall is McConnell's doing, that's a shot across the bow for Trump's base. That fucker is tricky. My money is on them throwing Trump to the wolves immediately before R senators get dragged into the impeachment investigation. Trump has said so many horrible things to so many horrible people and ALL of it is now on the table, any senator involved in any of these extortion dealings is on the chopping block too. Even if its just 1 or 2, that's enough to swing the Senate back.

McConnell has to make a play. Especially if McConnell or his wife did anything stupid for Trump.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Pence caused an HIV outbreak in his own state. He's an embarassment, don't you worry.

And Bush is a war criminal who is responsible for the deaths of millions. And yet...

https://twitter.com/ValerieJarrett/status/1176653232703254528

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't think Pence would be likely to win. I'm just...not terribly convinced that the mainstream media and political elites would treat him as he deserves to be treated.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Bloop posted:

Republicans want any excuse to vote for a republican.

There are not actually enough of those Republicans to win a presidential election. Trump actually got enough middle class white swing voters to win swing states. His votes were not solely from Republicans. And even then he still lost the popular vote.

quote:

Most everyone thought Trump couldn't win. Pence is weird, but an incumbent republican gets all the republican votes.

The reasons why Trump won are the reasons why Pence wouldn't.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 25, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

Everyone saying Pence can’t win seems to think that the person themselves matter in a presidential election. If they held their nose for Trump, they’ll hold their nose for Pence.
Yes, millions of people would. Do you understand how loving close the last election was? Trump also inspired turnout in exactly the right places - Pence isn't going to drive turnout in Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan or Wisconsin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Faustian Bargain posted:

Mike Pence has negative charisma which is part of why Trump selected him. No one to steal any of the spot light. He would absolutely bomb an election.

i always thought that pence was such a good signal to the evangelicals that trump would do their bidding precisely because he was so terrible

it was basically "eat this bucket of warm poo poo. oh, you did it? well boy, you sure will do anything we ask, huh"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

evilweasel posted:

the new VP must be approved by a majority of the House (and Senate, but in this situation the House matters more)

I'd be willing to bet there are explicit and short deadlines for how long that is permitted to take.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What in the gently caress is happening in this thread? The Senate is going to acquit Trump. We've known this since he won the election. His acquittal is not a chaos scenario.

Given that even deep-red Senators like Crapo are going with "Deeply Concerned" instead of "this is all bullshit" I think there is a small, but non-zero chance Trump actually gets convicted.

Mitch not blocking the resolution yesterday was also surprising.

They might have to vote to convict if for no other reason than to save themselves in 2020 from angry voters. Not everyone is a MAGA hat wearing CHUD.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ManBoyChef posted:

employees should know what everyone else is making.

I don't necessarily disagree, especially in a place as shady as a car dealership.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

Signally to cut off Trumps border wall is McConnell's doing, that's a shot across the bow for Trump's base. That fucker is tricky. My money is on them throwing Trump to the wolves immediately before R senators get dragged into the impeachment investigation. Trump has said so many horrible things to so many horrible people and ALL of it is now on the table, any senator involved in any of these extortion dealings is on the chopping block too. Even if its just 1 or 2, that's enough to swing the Senate back.

McConnell has to make a play. Especially if McConnell or his wife did anything stupid for Trump.

Mitch can desperately want Trump to resign all he wants. Doesn't mean he has the power to do it when his only threat - that he'll get a third of his caucus to stab dear leader in the front - is hollow and everyone knows it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Bloop posted:

Republicans want any excuse to vote for a republican. Not being Trump is more than enough. Their turnout will be fine. The other factor then is Dem turnout. To the degree that our hopes are pinned on people wanting to vote out Trump, having him already impeached will feel like victory to a lot of people who are currently energized.

The average uninformed voter isn't going to distinguish between Pence and any other republican that they would happily vote for, Bush, Cruz, whoever.

None of this is true.

Like, you get that Republicans have, actually, voted at different rates in different years, right? That turnout can, actually, go up or down? Or do you literally think that the exact same Republicans, down to the man, vote the same way every single time?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd be willing to bet there are explicit and short deadlines for how long that is permitted to take.

there's not. 25th amendment, section 2.

quote:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SpaceDrake posted:

If it looks like Pelosi might become president the Senate GOP will acquit Trump of even this stuff, at which point we careen straight into chaostown and the republic dies

this is all hilarious but also mildly terrifying

In the extremely unlikely 0.001% case that Trump goes down and Pence looks like he's in trouble, the Senate GOP would drag Pence's impeachment out long enough to name a new VP under him. The only scenario where Pelosi becomes president is if Trump and Pence die almost simultaneously.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

axeil posted:

Given that even deep-red Senators like Crapo are going with "Deeply Concerned" instead of "this is all bullshit" I think there is a small, but non-zero chance Trump actually gets convicted.

Mitch not blocking the resolution yesterday was also surprising.

They might have to vote to convict if for no other reason than to save themselves in 2020 from angry voters. Not everyone is a MAGA hat wearing CHUD.

McConnell is trying to find out exactly how many MAGA hat wearing CHUDS there really are. He needs to to make his next move; he believes that base is not as big as it seems and I bet he's right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Majorian posted:

And Bush is a war criminal who is responsible for the deaths of millions. And yet...

https://twitter.com/ValerieJarrett/status/1176653232703254528

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't think Pence would be likely to win. I'm just...not terribly convinced that the mainstream media and political elites would treat him as he deserves to be treated.

Your enduring reminder that history will actually be very kind to Trump post-presidency, especially compared to whatever worse thing comes after him because America just doesn’t learn.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

McConnell is trying to find out exactly how many MAGA hat wearing CHUDS there really are. He needs to to make his next move; he believes that base is not as big as it seems and I bet he's right.

There are more than 34 Senate Republicans whose only real concern about their re-election is the primary, not the general.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nine-gear crow posted:

Your enduring reminder that history will actually be very kind to Trump post-presidency, especially compared to whatever worse thing comes after him because America just doesn’t learn.
That's right, there are no presidents at all who are considered to be bad presidents, you're nailing this

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

nine-gear crow posted:

Its frightening to think of what will come next that will cause us to look back at Trump's tenure with nostalgia.......

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

evilweasel posted:

there's not. 25th amendment, section 2.

You just gotta laugh at how loving dumb our system is, lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

That's right, there are no presidents at all who are considered to be bad presidents, you're nailing this

The fact that George W. Bush is not among them for a majority of Americans (including, apparently, members of Obama's inner circle) is damning.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

The people who put Trump over the top weren't holding their nose - they fuckin' loved the pussy grabbing motherfucker, and if he's removed they'll be too furious to even consider voting for Pence or maybe anyone ever again.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe not? History hasn't been very flattering to Nixon, after all.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
BREAKING

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/1176884283790778369

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pollyanna posted:

Ehh, I don't know about that. Trump's base loves him because he's a rich racist rapist. Pence acts like someone who is on strike two with his wife due to infidelity

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m thinking about the Trump tweet where he says he wants the transcript to get out because it’s “a perfect call” that’ll surprise everyone. “A perfect call” is just such a weird thing to say.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pollyanna posted:

trump barely loving won. and if trump got thrown out, i doubt the GOP will be getting more votes for some empty suit nutter with no charisma. its gonna ford again.

nine-gear crow posted:

i dont agree with that. W has charisma and enough smart monsters to rewrite narratives plus he is basically spending his post preidency loving painting and fighting aids which plays well with people(gently caress him obviously) nixon basicaly rewrote his legacy with books and various other stuff. trump will do neither. he will be viewed as malicious version of harding and a much dumber nixon. a monster that teaches a lesson to future generations is better historical narrative for trump than some comeback kid bullshit. also trump is hated to much by the libs for petty/spite reasons and will never try to endear himself to them like W does.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I suspect that Trump is sui generis in how loving repulsive he is to everyone outside the (shockingly large) minority of people who see him as a messiah. The fascist ghoul who succeeds him won't make him look any better by comparison.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m thinking about the Trump tweet where he says he wants the transcript to get out because it’s “a perfect call” that’ll surprise everyone. “A perfect call” is just such a weird thing to say.

He doesn't know very many adjectives.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Maybe not? History hasn't been very flattering to Nixon, after all.

No, but as of 2018, Dubya had something like a 61% favorability rating among all voters.

So...yeah.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Perhaps “a beautiful call, just beautiful” t'would be more your fancy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

That is a perfect picture for such an obvious line of bullshit.

Dr Christmas posted:

He likes to use "perfect", "huge", "the best" to refer to things involving him so why wouldn't he do that for this phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont agree with that. W has charisma and enough smart monsters to rewrite narratives plus he is basically spending his post preidency loving painting and fighting aids which plays well with people(gently caress him obviously) nixon basicaly rewrote his legacy with books and various other stuff. trump will do neither. he will be viewed as malicious version of harding and a much dumber nixon. a monster that teaches a lesson to future generations is better historical narrative for trump than some comeback kid bullshit. also trump is hated to much by the libs for petty/spite reasons and will never try to endear himself to them like W does.

nixon is still pretty much considered a failure despite a reasonably successful presidential term ignoring the one minor issue