Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Republicans cross over to vote for Lipinski in the primary, and then vote for a literal Nazi in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

evilweasel posted:

the rebuttal was more to "actually pelosi anticipated that trump would do this" so first off, it's odd you're getting pissy at me claiming i said pelosi was a master tactician. i was specifically disputing a claim she was using more far-sighted tactics than she was actually using.

i don't care to get drawn into the debate over if pelosi's thinking there was right because it's going to go nowhere, but people who don't like pelosi and people who do like pelosi and people who don't care should easily be able to agree that what i sketched out there was her basic thinking on the subject such that people who do want to argue over it can easily identify what parts of her thinking they disagree with

why i do not care to get into such a discussion is helpfully illustrated by your post, which is angry over a dispassionate recital of facts that don't contradict the basic arguments people have made against how she handled this issue up until now and is going "well you must love pelosi why are you so bad!!!!!"
Neither of the bolded words describe a single letter of my post :shrug:

Also FWIW posting a self-described "dispassionate recital of facts" and then insisting that debate participants (which you are totally uninterested in being) must adopt those facts as a baseline for any further discussion, is injecting yourself into the argument. Not only are you getting into the discussion, you're making yourself a central part of it.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 25, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mdemone posted:

Just as fast as Lil Adam Schiff's legs can get him outside. If I were him I'd just read the drat thing out loud to the press. They gonna arrest me?

i doubt they leak the report directly but one side or the other is going to immediately leak how helpful/damaging it is for trump

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

i doubt they leak the report directly but one side or the other is going to immediately leak how helpful/damaging it is for trump

Do you expect it to be a hack job by Barr to begin with?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

buckle the gently caress up :buddy:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
This makes it all the more obvious how bad Trump would have been if a real crisis hit. He just loving cracks under pressure.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I wonder why we haven't heard an excuse for the delay of aid, yet. They know what the whistleblower report says, why not get ahead of that part?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
lol when Trump tries to suspend the constitution and declare martial law.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I've dated two Ukrainian-Americans. At one point, one of them told me that one of the reasons she went on a second date with me is that I never once said "The Ukraine" when talking about her homeland and she was impressed that I knew enough to not do that.

See? Understanding current Eastern European geopolitics gets you dates, goons.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HeathaT/status/1176949641964916737

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Neither of the bolded words describe a single letter of my post :shrug:

Also FWIW posting a self-described "dispassionate recital of facts" and then insisting that any further discussion (which you are totally uninterested in) must adopt those facts as a baseline for any further discussion, is injecting yourself into the argument. Not only are you getting into the discussion, you're making yourself a central part of it.

if you want to dispute any of the facts feel free but they should be utterly uncontroversial, and knowing what the underlying facts are clearly identifies the two points of dispute: (a) would impeachment have been a political negative; and (b) did she have a moral obligation to move to impeach even if it would be a political negative. people who support pelosi answer (a) yes; (b) no; people who oppose pelosi challenge one or both of those answers.

and again, you're complaining about me shutting down an argument that "well what if pelosi knew trump would do something like this, and that's why she was waiting?" no, that's a bad defense of pelosi, because it contradicts known facts and is dumb. your post was pissy and mad because you lept at a "no, pelosi didn't have a secret brilliant plan" post with a "we don't have to believe pelosi was a master tactician like you!!!!" i wasn't saying she was a master tactician, i was arguing against that point!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

If anyone cares about which Democrats haven't come out for impeachment, CNN has a list, but it's a few hours old so like 6 of these are no longer on the fence:

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii

Tulsi Gabbard is such an embarrassment goddamn. Like, who the gently caress is her base of support?

ahahahahahahahahaha

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you expect it to be a hack job by Barr to begin with?

if they're transmitting it to the intelligence committees it is probably unredacted, and if so there's little point in putting out a redacted but misleading version later

if they just flat-out lie about what the whistleblower says and submit a fake document, well, that would take the cake for the dumbest thing the administration has done today

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Facebook drama at the federal level.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Tulsi Gabbard is such an embarrassment goddamn. Like, who the gently caress is her base of support?

Her homophobic cultists?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Gonna do my own research!

Rep. Terri Sewell of Alabama

quote:

“The events surrounding the whistleblower complaint are the final straw in a series of troubling and disconcerting actions by President Trump and his administration.

“This failure of the Trump Administration to disclose the whistleblower complaint to Congress flies in the face of the intent of the law; the President’s stunning admission shows a complete disregard for the constitutional duties he has sworn to uphold.

“No one is above the law, including the President of the United States of America.”
That's a potential impeachment vote

Rep. Tom O'Halleran of Arizona
(has called for an inquiry)

Rep. Al Lawson of Florida
Undecided

Rep. Frederica Wilson of Florida
No info
Rep. Lucy McBath of Georgia
Avoiding reporters
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii

quote:

As many of her House Democratic colleagues decided to back the impeachment of President Donald Trump, Democratic Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard on Tuesday said she doesn't support the move because it would be "terribly divisive" for an "already very divided" United States.
Rep. Dan Lipinski of Illinois
WEASELING
https://twitter.com/RepLipinski/status/1176942958702186499
Rep. Cheri Bustos of Illinois
WILL FOLD IF NEEDED

quote:

U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Moline) said she supports uncovering the truth behind President Donald Trump’s phone call with the Ukranian president, but stopped short of supporting a formal impeachment inquiry.
Rep. Sharice Davids of Kansas
WILL FOLD IF NEEDED

quote:

Kansas Democratic Rep. Sharice Davids will support House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s call for an impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump, but she avoided using the word “impeachment” in a statement Tuesday night.
Rep. Jared Golden of Maine
GETTABLE

quote:

U.S. Rep. Jared Golden stopped shy of joining Democratic calls for the impeachment of President Donald Trump for pressing Ukraine’s leader to investigate the son of former Vice President Joe Biden on Tuesday, when party leaders in the House announced an impeachment inquiry would begin.
Rep. Collin Peterson of Minnesota
PROBLEM

quote:

“If anyone thinks a partisan impeachment process would constrain President Trump, they are fooling themselves. Without significant bipartisan support, impeachment proceedings will be a lengthy and divisive action with no resolution,” Peterson, of Minnesota’s Seventh District, said in a statement.
Rep. Susie Lee of Nevada
Rep. Steven Horsford of Nevada

quote:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (FOX5) -- Nevada Democratic representatives Susie Lee and Steven Horsford said Tuesday the House of Representatives should formally open impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.
Rep. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey
PROBLEM

quote:

U.S. Rep. Jeff Van Drew, D-2nd, remains opposed, citing a lack of clear evidence that Trump tried to pressure the Ukrainian president to investigate Joe Biden’s son, he said Tuesday.
Rep. Xochitl Torres Small of New Mexico
NO COMMENT SO FAR
Rep. Max Rose of New York
MOVING THAT WAY

quote:

Rep. Max Rose shifted his stance against impeachment Tuesday, saying “all options must be on the table” after the explosive revelations that President Trump may have sought help from Ukraine to smear Joe Biden.
Rep. Anthony Brindisi of New York
PROBLEM

quote:

The inquiry is premature, Brindisi said, until Congress has more information about a complaint against Trump filed by a U.S. intelligence official who decided to become a whistleblower in the case.
Rep. Kendra Horn of Oklahoma
WEAK poo poo
https://twitter.com/RepKendraHorn/status/1176594934180302848
Rep. Kurt Schrader of Oregon
NOTHING HEARD BACK
Rep. Conor Lamb of Pennsylvania
NONCOMMITTAL
Rep. Joe Cunningham of South Carolina
lovely

quote:

But Cunningham said the answer does not lie with impeachment proceedings but a “bipartisan effort” to “get to the bottom” of the allegations.
Rep. Vicente Gonzalez of Texas
WEAK poo poo

quote:

Gonzalez reiterated his stance in statement to CNN following the interview, saying he would "seriously consider joining the calls to open an impeachment inquiry" if the complaint isn't handed over.
Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas
ON THE FENCE

quote:

On Tuesday, he released a statement that described the need for investigations to continue but stopped short of calling for impeachment.
Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson of Texas
NOT THERE YET

quote:

“If the decision is made by the President and his Administration to withhold this information from Congress, or if the allegations of his abuse of power are substantiated, I will be placed in a position where I must fulfill my constitutional duty and support impeachment proceedings.”
Rep. Colin Allred of Texas
SAME AS EDDIE BERNICE
Rep. Ben McAdams of Utah
WAIT AND SEE
Rep. Ron Kind of Wisconsin
GIVE US THE COMPLAINT

quote:

In a statement Tuesday night, Kind indicated he supported an investigation of the whistleblower complaint behind the Ukraine developments but nowhere used the word "impeachment."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Literally every person Trump touches goes up in flames it’s amazing

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao what

"A difficult time" yeah I would define talking to Trump as that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ummel posted:

This makes it all the more obvious how bad Trump would have been if a real crisis hit. He just loving cracks under pressure.

It's not even pressure. He just cracks and spills and oozes and you don't even have to do anything to him.

He has spent his whole life loving himself over. It would be sad if it were literally anyone else.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

horny primary voters

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

People who (rightfully) oppose U.S. interventionism, but then (wrongly) assume that isolationism is possible or desirable in TYOOL 2019.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

ummel posted:

We have had real crises and literally thousands of Americans have died as a consequence of his incompetent malevolence.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

if they're transmitting it to the intelligence committees it is probably unredacted, and if so there's little point in putting out a redacted but misleading version later

if they just flat-out lie about what the whistleblower says and submit a fake document, well, that would take the cake for the dumbest thing the administration has done today

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tulsi's base is thirsty lads. she even posted a thirst trap workout vid on twitter a few days back.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Zophar posted:

We have had real crises and literally thousands of Americans have died as a consequence of his incompetent malevolence.

Sorry, external crisis. Think Cuban Missile.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Rep. Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey
PROBLEM

What's hosed up about this is he's representing easily the poorest district of NJ. You would think that the voters there would be bluer than blue given that the local news comes from Philly.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
...Zelensky couldn't have been dumb enough to think that's actually how the transcript release would go, right? That's some weak damage control.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Bernie bros were crazy for Tulsi.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This is... insightful

https://twitter.com/polly/status/1176950492108402689

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
This is the most recent thing i could find with a quick look around on Google for "REP NAME" impeachment

Most of the holdouts are from 24 hours ago and said "If he doesn't release the report"

Only like 5 people seem hostile to the idea of an official impeachment inquiry

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eviltastic posted:

...Zelensky couldn't have been dumb enough to think that's actually how the transcript release would go, right? That's some weak damage control.

He probably didn't expect presidential conversations to ever need to be published because he thought he was talking to a human instead of a sentient colostomy bag.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

evilweasel posted:

if you want to dispute any of
Oh I have no desire to get into any of this with you, as it will inevitably devolve into a poo poo-slinging contest with you reading anger and pissiness into my posts where there is only disagreement, and will result in one or possibly both of us catching a probation. Arguing with you is never a productive use of time - all I am doing here is pointing out for anyone else reading, that they do not have to engage in this discussion according to the parameters you've laid out, simply because you insist that they would be idiots not to :)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ummel posted:

Sorry, external crisis. Think Cuban Missile.

Like that one time he threatened to bring down fire and fury on North Korea

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Solaris 2.0 posted:

mazie hirono's from hawaii and owns so not ALL hawaiians are nutters, otherwise i'd just assume there's something in the water

nationally, tulsi's beloved of particularly stupid tankies, particularly ignorant leftists, particularly ignorant and/or terrible indian-americans, and democrats who really hate muslims

and has access to a huge pile of cash from terrible Indian-Americans

like, if she came seriously out against modi and his hindutva garbagemonsters, that would be a "gillibrand disses bill clinton for being ein sexmonster" pivot / act of moral courage, because her money lake would probably dry up on the spot

edit: also she isn't just not-pro-impeachment, she went on CNN yesterday and said it was a bad dangerous idea :lol:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1176609680048738305

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 25, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eviltastic posted:

Zelensky isn't exactly the most seasoned politician, shall we say. He didn't expect to be elected, and he certainly didn't expect the landslide that he got.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
presser about to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoZmo97E-c

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Literally every person Trump touches goes up in flames it’s amazing

I used this in the last thread but hell I'm using it again:

"How much do you know about Trump? Because he's rather a tragic case... His FSB file says he's difficult to control; a nice way of saying that everything he touches seems to wither and die"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So was the report delivered?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Oh I have no desire to get into any of this with you, as it will inevitably devolve into a poo poo-slinging contest with you reading anger and pissiness into my posts where there is only disagreement, and will result in one or possibly both of us catching a probation. Arguing with you is never a productive use of time - all I am doing here is pointing out for anyone else reading, that they do not have to engage in this discussion according to the parameters you've laid out, simply because you insist that they would be idiots not to :)

arguing with me is, generally, a waste of time if your goal is to be right, because i'm right. but if you think you have any shot of arguing with any of those facts, go right ahead, just try not to start off with "stop calling pelosi a 4d chess master!!!!" when i'm explicitly arguing against that, because i'm not going to allow you to misrepresent what i said and i'm going to correct that first. don't whine when you try to start poo poo and i respond: you were wrong about my post, tried to score some dumb points, and are upset it didn't work out.

pelosi's actions are very easy to understand, and the points at which people disagree with them are also easy to understand. there is no need to muddy that debate by assuming she opposed impeachment a month ago because she knew this was coming. she opposed impeachment a month ago because she thought impeachment was a bad idea politically a month ago, and wasn't going to impeach unless it was good politically. you don't need to agree with her on either point to agree that was her thinking on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Majorian posted:

Zelensky isn't exactly the most seasoned politician, shall we say. He didn't expect to be elected, and he certainly didn't expect the landslide that he got.
For further context here, Zelensky was literally a comedian before he became president of Ukraine. His most famous show was called "Servant of the People", about a schoolteacher who... accidentally ends up becoming president of Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_of_the_People

So when his political instincts are bad, I can't really blame the guy.