Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my girlfriend not to wear a Halloween costume?

My girlfriend and I are both 21 years old. I don't know why, but she's already started planning Halloween parties and costumes with her friends. She wants to go to a few parties and clubs that night, and she wants us to go together. She wants to wear a sexy Princess Jasmine costume. Jasmine already wears pretty revealing clothes in the animated movie, but my girlfriend just wants to wear a blue bra and a loose pair of pants that is very transparent and see through (not western style pants, more middle eastern style, but not exactly).

I am a very big fan of Aladdin and I played Aladdin in a school play, so I was actually very happy with her initial idea of a Jasmine costume, and was touched thinking she was doing it for me. I am not very comfortable with such a revealing "sexy" costume though. AITA for asking her not to wear this costume? She was pretty upset with me, and is dead set on wearing this outfit, whether I agree with it or not. I understand that I have no right to control what she wears, and that it's her body and her choice. But seeing how uncomfortable I am with my girlfriend wearing such revealing clothes, I don't see any other alternative, but to ask her not to wear it, or not go with her on Halloween.

Even then, if I don't go with her, I'm not sure if I'm okay with her going to many parties and bars on her own dressed like that, when she has a boyfriend. I know how crazy such college, especially with massive amounts of drinking on Halloween. A lot of her female friends are also planning on wearing revealing "sexy" outfits, and I guess it's par for the course for Halloween. I genuinely do not want to come across as a controlling prudish rear end in a top hat, and I'm not forcing her to do anything, but I don't like how the whole thing has gone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't there still some disagreement between child care experts on whether an immediate, mild spanking for dangerous behavior for children who are too young to understand is reasonable reinforcement? Like a toddler trying to run into the road or grab an animal's tail.

Not the situation in the post of course, just a general question.

No because if the kid is too young to understand reinforcement you really shouldn't let them run around near the road anyway. In this instance the best thing is prevention, by not allowing your kid to get into the dangerous situation to begin with.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AITA - I joked with my 'Native American' friend that nobody cares about his people.

quote:

I have been friends with this guy for about 3 years now, he's great - he has a great sense of humor which makes this situation I'm in more strange. Like the title says, he's native american - cree to be exact. He fascinates me because I've never met many natives before and he looks about how you expect him to look - long black hair - he's tall - high cheekbones etc. This situation happened a day ago - I need some other eyes to tell me If I did wrong here.

We were in a group together with other friends at a bar, and we were talking about the election - when it came to persuading voters, he said "Why does everyone try to appeal to the black voters or the hispanic voters? Why does no one seem to try the indian (native american) voters?" and I responded with (and I should mention 'jokingly') "Because nobody cares and it probably wouldn't matter anyway, I bet there isn't even enough of you to fill a stadium" I thought that would get a laugh out of him and it did.

But it was a very forced laugh and he said "yeah, you're probably right" and he was quieter than usual for the rest of the night. I didn't mean to hurt him or anything, I just wanted to make him laugh - he's made jokes in the past about his heritage before so I didn't think it would be a problem but maybe I struck a nerve and I feel terrible about it all. I read a lot of stories here thinking I'd never have to post one but here we are - I should also mention that I did apologize to him and he seemed to take it pretty well - AITA?

And I should mention 'jokingly'

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for planning on only getting one of my kids Christmas gifts?

Throwaway because some of my church friends know my main account.

Backstory: My husband and I have two kids (both teenagers). We raised our children to be Christian (as is our faith), but also didn’t want to force them into our religion so as soon as they turned 13 they were allowed to no longer come to church, participate in saying grace before meals, etc.. One of our kids has continued with church and their faith very adamantly. Our other kid has come to church more sporadically and over the past half year or so has began to explore Buddhism. More recently they have been telling us that they are no longer Christian, but they are Buddhists. While we are disappointed that they are no longer Christian, I believe everyone is entitled to their own religion and I am proud that my daughter is exploring her faith.

Current Issue: At dinner recently we were talking about travel plans for Christmas (we usually will rent a cabin somewhere for family time) and I mentioned that I wasn’t planning to get our non-Christian daughter any big gifts since her religion doesn’t celebrate Christmas. She was immediately upset. I told her that I would get her some little goodies so she didn’t feel too left out, but that she shouldn’t expect to partake in a religious holiday for a religion she doesn’t believe in. She said (I’m so many words) it’s not fair for us to spend money on our other child’s gifts, but not her and that we were punishing her for not being Christian. It doesn’t make sense to me to give her gifts to celebrate the birth of Jesus when she doesn’t believe he is our savior. I told her if she really felt it were unfair, I would donate the amount of money I spent on our other kid to a charity of her choice in her name. She didn’t like this either. My husband and I have since talked and he has very mixed feelings on the whole situation.

AITA?

Edited to add: not sure if this matters, but I have made it clear to her that if she ever wanted to celebrate any holidays pertaining to her religion I would do my best and get her what she needs to celebrate. My goal is not to hinder her exploration of Buddhism.

Edited to add: I see a lot of comments about how Christmas isn’t a Christian holiday and I agree that many families celebrate a very commercialized Christmas. We (for example) do not involve Santa in our celebration, but we do (for example) read from the Bible and sing Hymns. Regardless of what others do, our family takes the holiday as an opportunity to celebrate and thank God for all that he has done and provided for us.

Final Edit (Hopefully): I hear you all and I know I have a lot of reflection ahead of me. Even though some of this is hard to read, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think my family has a lot of discussion ahead of us and I specifically have some growth to do as a mother and Christian. I also want to let those of you who have voiced concerns know that both of my children are loved by my husband and myself and that I plan on talking with my daughter (maybe even showing her this thread) about how I can do better by her.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for planning on only getting one of my kids Christmas gifts?

Throwaway because some of my church friends know my main account.

Backstory: My husband and I have two kids (both teenagers). We raised our children to be Christian (as is our faith), but also didn’t want to force them into our religion so as soon as they turned 13 they were allowed to no longer come to church, participate in saying grace before meals, etc.. One of our kids has continued with church and their faith very adamantly. Our other kid has come to church more sporadically and over the past half year or so has began to explore Buddhism. More recently they have been telling us that they are no longer Christian, but they are Buddhists. While we are disappointed that they are no longer Christian, I believe everyone is entitled to their own religion and I am proud that my daughter is exploring her faith.

Current Issue: At dinner recently we were talking about travel plans for Christmas (we usually will rent a cabin somewhere for family time) and I mentioned that I wasn’t planning to get our non-Christian daughter any big gifts since her religion doesn’t celebrate Christmas. She was immediately upset. I told her that I would get her some little goodies so she didn’t feel too left out, but that she shouldn’t expect to partake in a religious holiday for a religion she doesn’t believe in. She said (I’m so many words) it’s not fair for us to spend money on our other child’s gifts, but not her and that we were punishing her for not being Christian. It doesn’t make sense to me to give her gifts to celebrate the birth of Jesus when she doesn’t believe he is our savior. I told her if she really felt it were unfair, I would donate the amount of money I spent on our other kid to a charity of her choice in her name. She didn’t like this either. My husband and I have since talked and he has very mixed feelings on the whole situation.

AITA?

Edited to add: not sure if this matters, but I have made it clear to her that if she ever wanted to celebrate any holidays pertaining to her religion I would do my best and get her what she needs to celebrate. My goal is not to hinder her exploration of Buddhism.

Edited to add: I see a lot of comments about how Christmas isn’t a Christian holiday and I agree that many families celebrate a very commercialized Christmas. We (for example) do not involve Santa in our celebration, but we do (for example) read from the Bible and sing Hymns. Regardless of what others do, our family takes the holiday as an opportunity to celebrate and thank God for all that he has done and provided for us.

Final Edit (Hopefully): I hear you all and I know I have a lot of reflection ahead of me. Even though some of this is hard to read, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think my family has a lot of discussion ahead of us and I specifically have some growth to do as a mother and Christian. I also want to let those of you who have voiced concerns know that both of my children are loved by my husband and myself and that I plan on talking with my daughter (maybe even showing her this thread) about how I can do better by her.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

LadyPictureShow posted:

AITA - I joked with my 'Native American' friend that nobody cares about his people.

'hahaha, that would be pointless because we genocided your people so hard you're dying out! soon you will be no more! lol cheers!'

'wait....was it something i said?'

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this is only sort of relevant but does anyone else get those migrations of hundreds of tiny toad babies every 3-4 years where they live? some years in spring when it rains and the backyard gets muddy you’ll walk out in the morning/evening and waves of roads about the size of a pea will be hopping in tandem across the yard

E: these guys :3:

Oh my god I loving wish!

E lol at the Christian lady thinking anything she does at Christmas is originally for Christians anyway. Like jeez lady be nice to your kids while y'all celebrate your pagan gifting holidays.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 25, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Christmas lady is 100% the rear end in a top hat. Definitely Christ-like to selectively treat one of your children like poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I judged her to BTA when I found out she has "church friends".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not want to nominate my wife for an award?

My wife is a social worker and a great one at that. She is always going above and beyond for her clients/patients and always putting in crazy hours. Yesterday she showed a community award and mentioned it would be nice to win that. Well recently she started a major community project that is starting to take off. This is extra and not a part of her job in anyway shape or form and I told her I would make the nomination next year after her program is up and running because everything she has done so far was in the scope of her job. Well she gets upset and says I never support her and that she has been doing alot of things that are not part of her job and helping her clients off hours because some are in horrible situations. So Reddit Am I the rear end in a top hat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My wife is a social worker and a great one at that. She is always going above and beyond for her clients/patients and always putting in crazy hours. Yesterday she showed a community award and mentioned it would be nice to win that. Well recently she started a major community project that is starting to take off. This is extra and not a part of her job in anyway shape or form and I told her I would make the nomination next year after her program is up and running because everything she has done so far was in the scope of her job. Well she gets upset and says I never support her and that she has been doing alot of things that are not part of her job and helping her clients off hours because some are in horrible situations. So Reddit Am I the rear end in a top hat?

WHO GIVES A poo poo YOU STUPID rear end in a top hat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can understand toad stacking and bumhole shaming and all sorts of sex kinks I personally find revolting but I just don't understand that at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is extra and not a part of her job in anyway shape or form and I told her I would make the nomination next year after her program is up and running because everything she has done so far was in the scope of her job.

100% chance this guy gets really mad about tipping too.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

quote:

she was like "my fleshy dingleberry only gets worse cause you suck on it so hard it has its own hickies"
:gonk::stonk:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I don’t know what the worst sentence I had ever read was before, but this one will stick with me forever.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There's a thread title in there somewhere

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Hey, Cumshitter, I had a layover in the Philly airport over the weekend and saw this in the airport Marriott when I was grabbing a beer. Is this a branch office or competitor? Just thought you should have a heads up in case it was a knockoff.

Just seems redundant to me. Putting a briefcase in the hands of the male restroom icon says the same thing in multiple languages.

In fact that's what they on the doors in the Admiral's Lounge, where I meet many of my international clients.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 26, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

/r/relationships: you suck on my fleshy dingleberry so hard it has its own hickies

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for requesting a neutral location for a talk?

Background - I have been friends with this dude for 13 years now, we met back in college. we were in each other's weddings, I was at the birth of both kids, and almost every Sunday for the past two years, my wife and I go over to their place to hang, have lunch, and play with their kids, ages 5 and 2.

Anyway, my wife (J) posted on facebook about a month ago about the something she disappoved of, and my friend's wife (S) went off because it was something she supported wholeheartedly. Lots of nasty comments on facebook, both on the post and in chats.

J and I are rather upset about this since we could have talked about it at any of the Sunday lunches, not had a blow up on a public forum.

J and I figure its time to talk, try to clear the air, and try to discuss how we can communicate better to avoid future blow ups. As we are feeling vulnerable and this is a serious conversation, we want to have it at a neutral location and requested they leave their kids behind so as to limit distractions. (I should mention this is taking place over text in a group chat since that's how we normally communicated)

This did not go over well. Every suggestion we made was met with questions and push back. Why the talk, why neutral location, why no kids? Multiple times throughout the texts saying how inconvenient it all is for them. Finally decided to discuss it later.

S has since unfriended us on facebook and we haven't received a single text from them in 3 weeks.

I just...I worry that we made too strict of demands for the talk. I feel like our request was reasonable, but now that things have ended...I'm conflicted. Are we the assholes? Should we have sent more messages, reached out more, just met at their place despite our misgivings? Why was the onus completely on us to do these things though?

the controversial issue? a weight-watchers app for kids

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for making my son pay off his $225 fine for vaping in the school bathroom instead of paying it off myself

quote:

This one is pretty quick: My son is a junior in high school and has a minimum wage job. He saves any excess money that he earns so that he can use it to but PC’s and other electronics. He recently bought a new computer and had about 300 dollars left in his account. During school, a teacher caught him vaping in the bathroom (after I had continuously punished him for it) and had charged him with the $225 fine that the school has. As soon as he arrived at the house he demanded that I paid it off for him. I refused and he ran off into his room. The next day at work, I told my coworker about it and he told me that I should have paid it. So, Reddit AITA?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Imagine nurturing a child for a decade and a half and then they turn out to be a vaper.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for making my son pay off his $225 fine for vaping in the school bathroom instead of paying it off myself

Jesus, did the mods nuke this one already too?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Batterypowered7 posted:

The Japanese word for joke is "joudan". A Japanese professor recalled a time when he worked for a company with an American branch. He had to introduce someone named "Jordan" but was conflicted about how to pronounce the name, so as to not accidentally refer to the man as a joke.

Ah, got it. Similarly, if your name is James but you usually go by Jim, consider switching back to James if you visit Thailand, so that you don’t introduce yourself to people like “Hi, I’m oval office.”

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

A 17 year old woman in a hetero relationship having a baby means not only is she in a hosed up relationship, she had to go through pregnancy at 17.
A 17 year old woman in a lesbian relationship having a baby means that while she's still in a hosed up relationship maybe at least she didn't have to go through pregnancy at 17. Also maybe she's not legally tied to the baby and can have an easier time getting out.

I'm not sure why this, of all the things wrong in that post, is worth saying "well, it could be worse" but I guess you have to find something to hold on to to make it seem marginally less bad.

I'm going to let you in on a secret, many gay people, even super, super, super gay people have had heterosexual sex and even long term relationships before coming out. Children tend to result from heterosexual sex and relationships.

It's really, really not uncommon, especially among lesbians.

:ssh: I've had unprotected sex with more women than men, and I'm like super gay, like I lost count after sleeping with something like over 150 guys, like gay married gay.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for telling my date not to tip the waitress who was flirting with him?

quote:

I met a guy on a dating app and he seemed cool, so I met him at a restaurant for dinner. The food was good and I enjoyed his company, but during our meal, the waitress was obviously flirting with him. My date also noticed that she was flirting with him to an extent that was disrespectful to me. By the time we were done, I was annoyed with the waitress and when my date was going to pay the bill I asked him not to tip her because of her poor service. She brought us the correct food items and everything, but she was not nearly as attentive to me as she was to him, and I found her flirting to be both rude and unprofessional. My date mentioned tipping only 10%, but I insisted that I thought she should get no tip, and so he tipped her nothing. AITA, or was the waitress?

Are they married yet? :cheeky:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to let you in on a secret, many gay people, even super, super, super gay people have had heterosexual sex and even long term relationships before coming out. Children tend to result from heterosexual sex and relationships.

It's really, really not uncommon, especially among lesbians.

:ssh: I've had unprotected sex with more women than men, and I'm like super gay, like I lost count after sleeping with something like over 150 guys, like gay married gay.

Theyve been together for 6 years with no mention of any man or non monogamy.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for telling my date not to tip the waitress who was flirting with him?

Are they married yet? :cheeky:

Just gently caress him on the table, OP, that’ll show that sub-minimum wage earner desperately trying to make ends meet and expected to kowtow to every rear end in a top hat who walks through the door while begging for scraps entitled hussy

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pinecone Sample posted:

:But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vapers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Barudak posted:

Theyve been together for 6 years with no mention of any man or non monogamy.

where did the child come from

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bell jar posted:

through miracles of modern science, children can be conceived without sexual intercourse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The other woman might have (or have had) a functioning penis and testicles for all we know, it’s the Internet, we’re all spitballing

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

through miracles of modern science, children can be conceived without sexual intercourse.

yet they've been together for 6 years without any mention of ivf. makes u think

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Boyfriend (24M) hates it when I (23F) chill out while he still has homework to do.

Ok so probably too much background but here we go - my boyfriend (24M) and I (23F) have been dating for three years and living together for about six months. He is still in school because he took time off before college, and I graduated a little over two years ago.

I technically work 8-6 Monday through Friday plus one weekend shift a week. I typically come home after work and take our dog for a long, 1-2 hour walk or run every night, and then cook dinner most nights. I don’t mind doing any of these things - love my work, my dog, and cooking, and I much prefer being busy to being bored.

My boyfriend is in his last year of college, and is taking a lighter course load than usual. He goes to campus from 9 am to 5 pm two days a week and stays home the other three days. I know he does homework on the days he’s home, but it also seems like he spends a lot of time hanging out with friends, watching TV, etc. I think this is great and how senior year should be.

However, he often has a lot of homework left over to do in the evenings. My work is demanding and very emotionally taxing, but I never have to work on it after I leave the office, so after taking the dog out and cooking is done, I basically just want to lie on the couch and watch TV. When he has homework, I normally just plug in my headphones and watch TV on my computer, since we rent a studio.

This drives my boyfriend NUTS. He said that he feels frustrated that I get to come home and just do nothing, while he has to work on the homework late into the evening. He asked if I would be willing to go watch TV or hang out at a nearby coffee shop or the library. I don’t really feel that this is fair. I don’t fault him at all for waiting to do homework until the evenings. But, I think I have just as much of a right to enjoy our apartment as he does. I also spend less time with the dog, and evenings are the only time I get to hang out and snuggle with her.

But, on the flip side, I get why this is frustrating for him. He has a lot of trouble working anywhere that’s not super quiet because of an auditory processing issue, so working in a coffee shop isn’t really an option. And, I get why it’s irritating to see me hang around while he does work. It doesn’t feel like it would be productive to point out that he has plenty of time to hang around do nothing while during the days he’s not in school. I’m going to be honest - my instinct is to just go watch TV at a coffee shop to avoid the conflict. However, I know this will be unpleasant for me, and I know deep down I should try to deal with the issue now, instead of letting it simmer.

Any advice for compromising on this or how to communicate about it without making into an argument about “who’s life is busier”?

TLDR: boyfriend doesn’t like when I watch tv when he’s working on homework and wants me to go watch in a coffee shop

Edit: thanks everyone for your responses. I feel validated that I’m not being totally unreasonable here. I do want to clarify that to me, the workload doesn’t seem quite as unbalanced as it maybe came across. He does all of the cleaning, running errands, making sure bills are timely, etc. I hate that stuff and basically picked the two household chores that I actually really enjoy and he does everything else.

He’s also not angry with me or even really whining - I get the impression that he’s more frustrated with himself, and it just got let out in a weird way. But, after reading yalls responses, I think I will be a little bit firmer and just say that I’m not willing to leave during the evenings and we can try to find a solution together. I like the idea of putting up a divider - it also just seems healthy to be able to put ourselves in separate spaces if need be.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bell jar posted:

Thats the mystery Im trying to not solve!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

50% older lady got pregnant through intercourse
30% chance 17 year old got pregnant through intercourse
10% chance the kid is a sibling they're caring for and calling their child
5% chance they stole a baby
3% chance older lady got IVF
1.95% chance they adopted
0.04% chance they found the baby on their doorstep
0.01% chance immaculate conception

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

0.01% is one in every 10,000. There were around 3,800,000 births in the US last year. That’s 380 immaculate conceptions?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It would make a lot of sense if she was the child of vape

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

0.01% is one in every 10,000. There were around 3,800,000 births in the US last year. That’s 380 immaculate conceptions?

*Thinks back to Catholic classes from my childhood*

Immaculate conception refers to Mary (and any additional people) conceived and born free of original sin.

Jesus was not the immaculate conception.

*Goes back to not thinking of Catholic classes*

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pirate Radar posted:

No, they're not saying 0.01% of all pregnancies, just this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for asking my girlfriend not to wear a Halloween costume?

My girlfriend and I are both 21 years old. I don't know why, but she's already started planning Halloween parties and costumes with her friends. She wants to go to a few parties and clubs that night, and she wants us to go together. She wants to wear a sexy Princess Jasmine costume. Jasmine already wears pretty revealing clothes in the animated movie, but my girlfriend just wants to wear a blue bra and a loose pair of pants that is very transparent and see through (not western style pants, more middle eastern style, but not exactly).

I am a very big fan of Aladdin and I played Aladdin in a school play, so I was actually very happy with her initial idea of a Jasmine costume, and was touched thinking she was doing it for me. I am not very comfortable with such a revealing "sexy" costume though. AITA for asking her not to wear this costume? She was pretty upset with me, and is dead set on wearing this outfit, whether I agree with it or not. I understand that I have no right to control what she wears, and that it's her body and her choice. But seeing how uncomfortable I am with my girlfriend wearing such revealing clothes, I don't see any other alternative, but to ask her not to wear it, or not go with her on Halloween.

Even then, if I don't go with her, I'm not sure if I'm okay with her going to many parties and bars on her own dressed like that, when she has a boyfriend. I know how crazy such college, especially with massive amounts of drinking on Halloween. A lot of her female friends are also planning on wearing revealing "sexy" outfits, and I guess it's par for the course for Halloween. I genuinely do not want to come across as a controlling prudish rear end in a top hat, and I'm not forcing her to do anything, but I don't like how the whole thing has gone down.

I love that her response is basically, "I'm going to the club in this costume and likely getting laid. You're welcome to join me." :c00lbert: