Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

HoboTech posted:

I've honestly never played it, but I should probably look it up. Also I don't know if Temple of Elemental Evil falls into this thread but is it similar to that?

Sort of. In ToEE you create a party of 5 and can have up to 3 NPCs. There is a mod that lets you change that if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
For PST charisma, you can also just cast the spell Friends if you are a mage. I don't think I ever bumped it past 10 when I started a character for that game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pyrotek posted:

How in the hell are these going to work on console?

From what I've read: first person control of the party leader with the rest following/toggles to control, radial menus, a free look selection/targeting system and also just better AI scripts

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've got most of my party planned out but is there a good front-line tanky person who isn't one of the following:

- Minsc
- A paladin
- Evil (saving that for run #2)
- A dipshit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I've got most of my party planned out but is there a good front-line tanky person who isn't one of the following:

- Minsc
- A paladin
- A dipshit

Jaheira

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

- Minsc
- A paladin
- A dipshit

Who's in your party? There's Mazzy and Valygar as traditional frontliners weapon users. Jaheira and Anomen are tanky casters. Many consider Anomen and Valygar to be dipshits however!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was kind of thinking Jaheira but I wasn't sure if she'd work or not.

the rest of the party is going to be Me (Swashbuckler)/Aerie/Neera/Jan/I guess open slot since I was going to use Jaheira either way

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Anomen isn't tanky, he's DPS.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jaheira is the best tank until late SoA because druids get ironskins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Why not use Minsc out of Curiosity. Or just having one evil teammate.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

HoboTech posted:

I've honestly never played it, but I should probably look it up.

The enhanced edition of Icewind Dale definitely feels more up your alley from what you've been posting, I wanna say it has literally all of the classes from BG2/same engine but also zero recruitable NPCs. It's a game where you're expected to make your own party and it's less quest-driven than BGII, more of a straight dungeon crawler. Sounds like a nice middle ground for what you're looking for. They're both great games but a lot of the story in BGII both involves and revolves around the party members

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Going Mage in Torment is pretty overrated imo. Once you get Wisdom and Charisma sorted out, Fighter lets you mindlessly massacre what mandatory combat there is with the Celestial axe.

Mage is a lot of fuss for not much pay off.

I can't remember if it's an axe or a hammer, but there's a magic weapon called "Reason" and while it's not the absolute best weapon in the game, I ended finishing the game with it because even if I couldn't avoid a fight through dialogue, in the end everyone listened to reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why not use Minsc out of Curiosity. Or just having one evil teammate.

Eh I'm not strictly against using Minsc but I feel like I've osmosed enough Minsc-related poo poo outside of these games that I have a pretty good idea who that character is and that it's kind of all he is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

From what I've read: first person control of the party leader with the rest following/toggles to control, radial menus, a free look selection/targeting system and also just better AI scripts

First person? What??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

Eh I'm not strictly against using Minsc but I feel like I've osmosed enough Minsc-related poo poo outside of these games that I have a pretty good idea who that character is and that it's kind of all he is.

Is this your first playthrough? You recruit him and Jaheira in the first minute, so just keep both until one of them annoys you enough to ditch em and come back here and we'll give you suggestions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blockhouse posted:

I will say that as goofy as Minsc is, the comedy of him is not that he's "random" but rather that he's extremely internally consistent. He has his shtick and he takes his shtick to it's logical(???) conclusion and that's what makes him fun.

Also the voice actor of course does a fantastic job of selling it.

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember if it's an axe or a hammer, but there's a magic weapon called "Reason" and while it's not the absolute best weapon in the game, I ended finishing the game with it because even if I couldn't avoid a fight through dialogue, in the end everyone listened to reason.

:hmmyes:

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

rocketrobot posted:

Sort of. In ToEE you create a party of 5 and can have up to 3 NPCs. There is a mod that lets you change that if you want.

5 is enough! I'm not against using NPCs totally. I might have my old discs somewhere.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The enhanced edition of Icewind Dale definitely feels more up your alley from what you've been posting, I wanna say it has literally all of the classes from BG2/same engine but also zero recruitable NPCs. It's a game where you're expected to make your own party and it's less quest-driven than BGII, more of a straight dungeon crawler. Sounds like a nice middle ground for what you're looking for. They're both great games but a lot of the story in BGII both involves and revolves around the party members

You're right, that does sound more like what I'm looking for at the moment. I'd heard about Icewind Dale when it came out but never followed up on it. I'll probably pick it up this weekend

Also in Torment talk, holy poo poo do I wish there was another game in the Planescape setting. It was my favorite setting in AD&D and Torment is the best book I've ever played.The music is also some of my favorite from any game to date.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Alright I'll give into this Minsc-based peer pressure and slot him in.

I guess that's all six figured out for first time good gun run!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Alright I'll give into this Minsc-based peer pressure and slot him in.

I guess that's all six figured out for first time good gun run!

Minsc is one of the starting party members if you move right 10 feet on the opening screen, after a dungeon or two you'll have a firm grasp on whether or not you like him (Jaeheira too, but you also have to find a key that's just one room away). If you don't like Minsc we'll tell you who to get instead.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Arivia posted:

First person? What??

Sorry that was confusing in hindsight. Not first person view, just like you will control them directly with the analogue stick, rather than point and click. Like NWN or KotOR basically

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

pyrotek posted:

How in the hell are these going to work on console?

Just as well as Pillars of Eternity, hopefully.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Minsc is the most overrated character in the history of video game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chairchucker posted:

Minsc is the most overrated character in the history of video game

Nahhh. Minsc honestly doesn’t have a super vocal support base. If you want characters that are overrated and consequently run into the ground you’re looking for somebody like HK-47 or Sephiroth.

I wish they would just let HK-47 finally stay dead.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
just realized nalia and imoen dont get to learn level 9 spells from scrolls because they are mage only. i guess they still get spells from HLAs so not a total loss but it hurts that the spell called :black101: BLACK BLADE OF DISASTER:black101: cant be put in their spell books.

edit: oo maybe it is their 17 int

edit 2: vvvv i think youre right and im wrong vvvv

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 29, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Molybdenum posted:

just realized nalia and imoen dont get to learn level 9 spells from scrolls because they are mage only. i guess they still get spells from HLAs so not a total loss but it hurts that the spell called :black101: BLACK BLADE OF DISASTER:black101: cant be put in their spell books.

I did not know that! I thought it was just based on INT.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's just the INT thing, they can drink a potion of genius and then scribe them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mr. Neutron posted:

Just as well as Pillars of Eternity, hopefully.

Did it work well?

Not sarcasm, I have no idea and I'm curious to know.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Did it work well?

It's definitely clunkier than on PC, but the PS4 and Xbox One versions work pretty decently. You just gotta accept that navigating radial menus takes longer than clicking on abilities with a mouse. The Switch port at the moment is kind of a mess, though it's due to bugs rather than any platform limitation. I imagine the fact that it was ported by yet another dev based on another dev's port of the original code, which was always kind of chuggy, must not have helped.

By the way, there is some console footage on YouTube, for people who want to check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMbeEkWuMAU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wish there was a mod to undo a bunch of the balance tweaks the EE's have. They are real nice for ease of use and a lot of quality of life changes but maybe I should be allowed to have 4 project images at once.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Deptfordx posted:

Did it work well?

Load times are atrocious on the PS4 - I dreaded going back to the stronghold simply because of all the loading screens. Sometimes there’s a bug where the fog of war for the screen is lifted randomly, but not on your map. It’s odd.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yes but that was probably because Unity. Infinity engine games won't have any loading time issues.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I tried installing the GOG version of BG2 and playing it and I just can't anymore. There is just too many nice things about the EE versions to go back to the old versions even if the old version do have some nice stuff about them too.

Was really looking forward to all the broken combos you can pull off with the original versions but it was not meant to be I guess.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've finally gotten around to playing NWN:EE and the main game is absolutely not what I remembered of it. Did they change it up significantly with a later patch or something?

Also the game starts to massively chug after about 15 minutes, eventually dropping down to like 3 FPS, so I suspect there are a bunch of memory leaks they still couldnt iron out. Still, it's actually a lot more fun than I remembered.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bike tory posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing NWN:EE and the main game is absolutely not what I remembered of it. Did they change it up significantly with a later patch or something?

Also the game starts to massively chug after about 15 minutes, eventually dropping down to like 3 FPS, so I suspect there are a bunch of memory leaks they still couldnt iron out. Still, it's actually a lot more fun than I remembered.

I’ve been playing it since release and it runs perfectly fine? I haven’t heard of any memory leaks or performance issues with the game. It’s got some graphical slight upgrades but it’s the same game it always was.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been playing it since release and it runs perfectly fine? I haven’t heard of any memory leaks or performance issues with the game. It’s got some graphical slight upgrades but it’s the same game it always was.

There is a memory leak with some memory cards. The latest beta build takes care of it though. So, if anyone is running into crashes, I highly recommend opting in.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm playing on a slightly old Android tablet so only have 2gb of ram to work with. Basically it runs super smooth in most areas but going through big areas with lots of actors and objects causes it to drop frames, and the performance stays low even when moving to other, smaller areas. But going through a series of smaller areas causes the performance drop too. It seems like it isn't unloading assets fully or something. Restarting the game fixes it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always forget these games are on tablets. I play on PC only and forget there's other worlds out there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I always forget these games are on tablets. I play on PC only and forget there's other worlds out there.

It was on sale for 99 cents on android awhile back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Private Speech posted:

I did not know that! I thought it was just based on INT.

That was one of the slides Josh Sawyer had in his presentation of the PoE stat system. A stat of 15 was considered "good" by Ad&D standards but if you have a wizard with 15 int everything is great until level 16 and you can't cast 8th level or higher spells, which makes continued play of the PC useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It was on sale for 99 cents on android awhile back.

It certainly was :getin:

It's been a really nice trip down memory lane. I'd forgotten how loving ridiculous 3E clerics were.