Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well gently caress, you’re right. He is a motherfucking capitalist.

And I defended his body of work in the capitalism thread of all places.

When I get back to my shrine to Carl Marx I’ll say 10 hail Satan’s and whip myself with the communist manifesto until I pass out.

Sorry for the disturbance I have caused and sorry I questioned your intentions.

Hail Satan

Ps big nips.com. Book it. Going to be a hit all around the globes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You can't have a space in an URL lol

hail marx

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-man posted:

You can't have a space in an URL lol

hail marx

I’m posting from the first iPhone I’ve ever had because I’m distancing myself from the google ecosystem

I’m a complete fraud :negative:

I drove into a river this morning because I was using Apple maps :negative: :negative: :negative:

At least the phone is waterproof. And stylish as well. Find out more at app le.com

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

lmfao everything powershift said was full of poo poo and this is the single best end result out of the entire discussion

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

Stock up on big dick pills now, in 2020 warren is going to usher in the era of women as the dominant sex and everyone is gonna want them big nips pills

Cool.

okay Google, big dick pills big nip pills light headedness

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

https://medium.com/@tedlivingston/moving-forward-boldly-with-kin-ec6290a6453

for those of you who dont want to read a medium full of dumb corporate speak:
kik's shutting down to focus their entire efforts on CRYPTOCURRENCY

this is truly going to work out for kik, i'm sure firing over 90 employees and keeping maybe two to four(i bet most of that "elite team" is corporate suits) and shutting down one of the biggest messaging apps doesn't have anything to do with the fact they produce no profit with kik and we're in the middle of a recession so the free money venture capitalists stops giving out bailout bucks

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

please knock Mom! posted:

lmfao everything powershift said was full of poo poo and this is the single best end result out of the entire discussion

That revelation doesn’t erase the work he has done at Stanford but I will have to find new articles to fall asleep to now that I know he is literally selling genes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why couldn’t he have just been a pervert like every other college professor

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
My boss told our 12 employee team that the new hire was hired at "the market rate", which he said is several grand a year more than most of us make, by "mistake" because HR didn't come to him first with the offer before it was sent out. He was letting us know so that we wouldn't find out through the rumor mill.

We started a new group chat immediately and I suggested we all take our skills to the market since the market thinks we're worth more.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

My boss told our 12 employee team that the new hire was hired at "the market rate", which he said is several grand a year more than most of us make, by "mistake" because HR didn't come to him first with the offer before it was sent out. He was letting us know so that we wouldn't find out through the rumor mill.

We started a new group chat immediately and I suggested we all take our skills to the market since the market thinks we're worth more.

well yeah. do this within 4 minutes of starting any job.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

From a strictly machavelian management perspective he should have left well enough alone and let the manufactured taboo about openly discussing wages do the rest of the work. Cool how his unforced error tipped his hand and now you're all gonna get what you're worth tho.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Weird layoffs, but okay.

How large of a company is it? it's never too late to unionize. Unless you're in a red state, that time has long since passed.

Realistically though, depending on the size of the company/size of the industry, there are some very careful steps you should take moving forward. If the union thing isn't an option, get offers from other companies in the industry. Document who you talked to and when, because if your boss confronts you about shopping for a new job when all you've told is prospective employers, they're colluding and it could severely limit your prospects. You won't get Kaepernik bucks, but it beats finding a new industry.

If you enjoy the company, take the new offer to your current employer to see if they will match it.

If it's a 6 figure job, consult an employment lawyer.

Some places allow for compensation based on "constructive dismissal", basically they tried to force you to quit by making your job suck (hiring newbies, telling you up front they're paid more and you're not getting a raise)

I am not a lawyer, but i've worked with quite a few, this is not legal advice. if it's worth it to you in a cost/benefit sense, talk to a labour lawyer in your state/province. Don't give them the benefit of doubt. Don't assume it was just an oopsie. Don't ever think they have your interests at heart. Don't tell anybody but other prospective employers that you plan on jumping ship. Do not leave without the protections you would have if you were fired. Do not assume you'll find a new job in a month and live off your savings.

Chances are they think they're playing chess and they think they're paying checkers.

Comedy response: If you're a 1099 jump off the roof.(don't do this)

Owlbear Camus posted:

From a strictly machavelian management perspective he should have left well enough alone and let the manufactured taboo about openly discussing wages do the rest of the work. Cool how his unforced error tipped his hand and now you're all gonna get what you're worth tho.

Is it an unforced error though?

Most places if you're fired you're owed severance depending on your tenure. But not if you quit! Whether you quit/are fired/are layed off can determine what benefits you are entitled to.

Unemployment isn't an entitlement, it's Insurance. You've paid into it, you're entitled to it if your job is terminated. Don't be too proud to claim it, again, it's insurance. You just got hit by a car, and you will have financial damages because of it. Even if it means starting at the bottom rung of the next company, that's potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in accrued benefits.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Sep 26, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Again, not legal advice, just yelling into the void, LAAAAAAAAAWYER UUUUUUUUUP! UUUUUPUUUUUPUUUUUPUUUUUPUUUUUPUUUUUP

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! THINGTHINGTHINGTHINGTHINGTHINGTHING

RIIIIIIIICOLAAAAAAAAA LALALALALALALA

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

Most places if you're fired you're owed severance depending on your tenure.

good one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've worked with idiots who were cheaper to keep around despite their gently caress-ups than fire.

In some places it's called "common law severence"

In BC, if you're over 40, have been there 10 years, and earn $100k a year, you're owned at least 12 months compensation.

I don't know if you could afford to walk away from 100 grand, but i can't

Again, you didn't give much info and you shouldn't but protect yourself.

e: Also, lawyers are dicks too. If they hear it's happening to 12 people they'll smell blood(and cash) ask them about yourself personally, if you feel you can trust them(you can't!), bring up your comrades in the same situation.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Sep 26, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Powershift posted:

Is it an unforced error though?

Most places if you're fired you're owed severance depending on your tenure. But not if you quit! Whether you quit/are fired/are layed off can determine what benefits you are entitled to.

Unemployment isn't an entitlement, it's Insurance. You've paid into it, you're entitled to it if your job is terminated. Don't be too proud to claim it, again, it's insurance. You just got hit by a car, and you will have financial damages because of it. Even if it means starting at the bottom rung of the next company, that's potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in accrued benefits.

It doesn't sound like layoffs, though, it just sounds like he said "we're gonna tell you flat out to your face we're undercompensating you and daring you to unionize about it?"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

It doesn't sound like layoffs, though, it just sounds like he said "we're gonna tell you flat out to your face we're undercompensating you and daring you to unionize about it?"

Exactly. That's called constructive dismissal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_dismissal

It's a layoff in every sense but the words.

They're telling you you're worthless so you quit and they can get out of a ton of liability.

Call me jaded, but never assume another human being has anything else on their mind but another dollar in their pocket at the end of the day.

If they bring up their religion in a business dealing, assume they want your soul, too.

The terminology he used. "Team", "HR", "market rate", and "a starting wage several grand a year more" suggests it is absolutely in his best interest to take every available measure to see he comes out of this whole, regardless of his career path going forward.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Sep 26, 2019

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lol well there you go

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

In some places it's called "common law severence"

I was mostly talking about the US, not other countries that have even the bare minimum of worker protections. I didn't make that clear, sorry.

:911:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol well there you go

That's the only place I'm familiar with on this subject.

google <your state here> constructive dismissal or <your state here> common law severance

Even 0% corporate tax and "at will" employment Kansas has laws protecting you

quote:

Even if the employer has no explicit employment agreement with the worker, certain actions and representations can bind the employer just as if there were a written contract signed by both parties. If an employee can prove that an employee manual contains discipline, job security, and termination procedures, the manual may constitute a unilateral offer to contract that an employee may accept through continued employment.
In addition, employers should be cautious about allowing anyone in the organization to make a promise of job security to an employee or applicant. If the promise can be seen as an inducement for an employee or prospective employee to give up something of value; for instance, by relocating or by leaving his or her current job, it may be considered a “contract.”

quote:

Constructive Discharge

While Kansas is known as an ‘at will’ employment state, meaning you can be fired for any reason or even for no reason, if your employer is trying to make you quit by exhibiting bad conduct towards you, his or her actions may constitute constructive discharge.

It could consist of unfair treatment that is geared towards making you quit so that your employer does not have to pay out an employment contract. It could be in order to build a file against you to show that you deserve to be fired. Your employer may also be trying to gain an advantage over you in an anticipated legal dispute.

These types of situation that may lead to a hostile work environment can and often do overlap. If you are not sure that you fall into any of the above situations, you need to get in touch with a lawyer to help you make sense of your situation.

motherfucking kansas

It's easy to remember

a simple mantra

"lawyer up"

If you're really cheap, pretend you're a tree and go ask on reddit.

you motherfuckers gush about unions and you don't know your own god drat rights, gently caress

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Re: unionizing,
I'm in maybe the reddest state, but this is a multi global mega conglomo corp so I'm unsure which rules apply. There are ~200 employees across the US that share my job title. There are probably 1400 employees total including some real shift-workin' folks. We got a new CEO in the last 6 months.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Hm but america

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Powershift posted:

you motherfuckers gush about unions and you don't know your own god drat rights, gently caress

Rights come out the barrel of a gun

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Re: unionizing,
I'm in maybe the reddest state, but this is a multi global mega conglomo corp so I'm unsure which rules apply. There are ~200 employees across the US that share my job title. There are probably 1400 employees total including some real shift-workin' folks. We got a new CEO in the last 6 months.

Well, google <your state name> constructive dismissal and <your state name> common law severance.

Kansas is redder than red and they have those protections apparently

A company that size must have an employee handbook they probably copied and pasted that gives you bonus rights. extra rights. be extra.

This is probably not an okay thing to post in this context and age of people believing this.

I'm sure being on a list is the last thing mister .............gently caress

e: just googling other hosed redneck hillbilly states, Tennessee:

An Employee's Duty

quote:

Many people quit their jobs on a regular basis. Many people do so because they feel that they have been treated unfairly or even abused during their employment. If an employee feels that they have been purposely subjected to an unbearable work environment by their employer, it is that employee's duty to report the existence of such working conditions to management. An employee is required to show that he or she made an effort to make an employer aware of the situation before resigning to allow the employer a chance to remedy the situation and avoid legal action. However, if the employer ignores the complaint, an employee may have grounds to take legal action through a constructive discharge claim.

lol. The ol' "find another way to fire me" trick.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Sep 26, 2019

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Powershift posted:

Well, google <your state name> constructive dismissal

From the Employee Rights Act of 1991

"Constructive termination" does not include a quitting due to an
employer's refusal to promote the employee or improve the employee's
wages, responsibilities, or other terms and conditions of
employment;

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, drat.

Start dressing sexier and get him to molest you.

If you're assigned a "shadow" to train, teach him to do everything wrong, it'll be hilarious.

Either way, i wish you luck, my friend. Do not become addicted to employment, It will take hold of you and you will resent it's absence

Also, even though the "secret" is out, make sure you can't be reprimanded for discussing wage if you plan to do so. I don't envy your chances in the supreme court right now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Powershift posted:

Well, drat.

If you're assigned a "shadow" to train, teach him to do everything wrong, it'll be hilarious.

Either way, i wish you luck, my friend. Do not become addicted to employment, It will take hold of you and you will resent it's absence

you post like i poo poo: it stinks

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Powershift posted:

Well, drat.

Also, even though the "secret" is out, make sure you can't be reprimanded for discussing wage if you plan to do so. I don't envy your chances in the supreme court right now.

Hey can you stop posting thanks

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Powershift posted:

Well, drat.

you are not a good poster my friend

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Point taken, if you want to throw a 7 or 30 or whatever i'll take it.

I'm sorry.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

They Epsteined a guy who was set to testify in the largest money laundering scandal in history. Police concluded no foul play immediately after finding his body.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49824367
this dude was 56 years old

they're not even bothering to contrive a suicide scenario lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

A company that size must have an employee handbook they probably copied and pasted that gives you bonus rights. extra rights. be extra.

I don't think you've ever seen an American employee handbook before, because a while ago companies figured out they could generally get away with putting outright lies and certain kinds of illegal statements in them as long as they pretend it's an honest mistake when called on it.

Powershift posted:

I mean I get that you're kidding but even given that, in what universe does it seem like a good idea to post this sentence

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

comedyblissoption posted:

this dude was 56 years old

they're not even bothering to contrive a suicide scenario lmao

Well, evidently he decided to off himself while out jogging.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

SplitSoul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57-zYIVbE8

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

And then hide his own body, and then later move his body to somewhere that had previously been checked and confirmed to not have any bodies.

You know, like you do.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Powershift posted:

Point taken, if you want to throw a 7 or 30 or whatever i'll take it.

I'm sorry.

I'm not a narc, no mods no masters, all cats attract bastards

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Powershift posted:

Exactly. That's called constructive dismissal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_dismissal

It's a layoff in every sense but the words.

They're telling you you're worthless so you quit and they can get out of a ton of liability.

wtf no it's not :psyduck: your understanding of employment law is somehow even worse than your understanding of medicine

Please stop giving insane legal advice under the guise of helping people who "don't know their rights" because you've "worked with a number of lawyers before" (saying it's not legal advice does not mitigate giving stupendously bad legal advice about how he should speak on behalf of his 12 co-workers concerning their constructive dismissal either)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enfys posted:

wtf no it's not :psyduck: your understanding of employment law is somehow even worse than your understanding of medicine

Please stop giving insane legal advice under the guise of helping people who "don't know their rights" because you've "worked with a number of lawyers before" (saying it's not legal advice does not mitigate giving stupendously bad legal advice about how he should speak on behalf of his 12 co-workers concerning their constructive dismissal either)

You’re right. I got carried away, with regards to both subjects.

I’m not going to make excuses for how much of an rear end in a top hat I was yesterday, but I am going to get some help to stop myself from getting to that point mentally again, I’m just not sure how yet. Stress seems to have destroyed my filter, almost like extreme intoxication, and babbling on stuff I clearly lack knowledge of and making horribly disgusting jokes. I wish I could delete the posts (and a bunch of other horrible jokes I’ve made lately).

I ’m Sorry. To the thread and more specifically HP Hovercraft.

I’m going to go back to listening more than speaking and :therapy:

Again I’m sorry. I hope you will believe me when I say it’s not who I am. Just the combination of my online persona and current state of mind have produced an absolute idiot :smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

You’re right. I got carried away, with regards to both subjects.

I’m not going to make excuses for how much of an rear end in a top hat I was yesterday, but I am going to get some help to stop myself from getting to that point mentally again, I’m just not sure how yet. Stress seems to have destroyed my filter, almost like extreme intoxication, and babbling on stuff I clearly lack knowledge of and making horribly disgusting jokes. I wish I could delete the posts (and a bunch of other horrible jokes I’ve made lately).

I ’m Sorry. To the thread and more specifically HP Hovercraft.

I’m going to go back to listening more than speaking and :therapy:

Again I’m sorry. I hope you will believe me when I say it’s not who I am. Just the combination of my online persona and current state of mind have produced an absolute idiot :smith:

Yeah I kinda recognized the pattern of doubling down bullshit pretty quick because I used to do that a lot too :v: As long as you like, recognize it's bad and are trying to improve I can't be all that mad at you :shrug:

I actually had to work with my therapist on similar stuff (including some clinically bad shitposting as a symptom lmao) so I know where you're coming from at least, if you're actually going to / trying to get therapy and workin' on this stuff then I wish you the best of luck. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I kinda recognized the pattern of doubling down bullshit pretty quick because I used to do that a lot too :v: As long as you like, recognize it's bad and are trying to improve I can't be all that mad at you :shrug:

I actually had to work with my therapist on similar stuff (including some clinically bad shitposting as a symptom lmao) so I know where you're coming from at least, if you're actually going to / trying to get therapy and workin' on this stuff then I wish you the best of luck. :hfive:

Thank you. My only option right now might be a stay in a hospital I still have nightmares about, but I’m going to have to take it.

Luckily in real life I just talk peoples ears off about cars. :unsmith:

Again, I’m sorry.