Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Have Rekieta or Beard been talking things up at all or are they finally keeping their yaps shut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Have Rekieta or Beard been talking things up at all or are they finally keeping their yaps shut?

I just checked and rekeita has some new YouTube videos but based on the titles he doesn't seem to be focusing on this case at the moment. They're all 2+ hours long and the odd clip I've seen makes me hate his voice so I'm not loving watching any of that poo poo to see if the Vic case comes up. I think his shows start as live streams with callers so maybe those people ask him about it? But there's nothing new until arbitration ends so all he can do is repeat himself.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
By the sounds of it Rekita is doing the same thing he did after the first transcripts came out: nervously avoiding the question. The last talking point of "ThE jUdGe WouLdN'T DeMaNd MeDiAtIoNs If vIc dIdN't hAvE a CaSe" died of pretty quick under the universal reply of "No dumbass that's now how this works, Judges only demand mediation out of pity".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just realized, you know what this youtube moron getting completely owned by running headfirst into staid hidebound reality reminds me of? Sargon of Akkad running for UKIP MEP and getting completely owned. In both cases, they had their youtube comment bubbles/discord servers egging them on to make idiotic arguments at people who aren't in their internet bubbles.

Sargon also had the disadvantage that he was set up by wealthy racist puppetmasters to fail and make the less-obviously-disgusting Brexit Party look better in comparison.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Y'all are talking about dubs

Yeah, but this is a thread about a dub voice actor, who the gently caress cares about Victor Joseph Mignogna other than people who are familiar with english dub poo poo?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah, but this is a thread about a dub voice actor, who the gently caress cares about Victor Joseph Mignogna other than people who are familiar with english dub poo poo?

People who care about lawyers making an absolute rear end of themselves and the veritable parade of bad legal decisions on display?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also very good reason tbh

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I care. That piece of poo poo is at my con this weekend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

El Fideo posted:

Goondolences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Fideo posted:

Seriously? doesn't he have an important legal mediation happening about now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Fideo posted:

Is that the one near the water treatment plant?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

El Fideo posted:

Please go, and bring something for him to sign.

Preferably something filled with explosives.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

The alt-right, it seems

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If we make jokes about assassinating people, then we're no better than his crazy supporters.

At this point, I'm fine with letting him dig his own grave.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Clarste posted:

If we make jokes about assassinating people, then we're no better than his crazy supporters.

I disagree

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We enjoy highbrow conversations about law here. Take your gbs tier deaththreats,to gbs

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Loudly ask the con organisers how many children they offered Vic for him to appear.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

"He hasn't been charged with a crime," they said.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what dates are this con? just this weekend? that's days to exclude anything coming out about mediations

if i were in that position a few excerpts from the defense filing should gross out anyone in charge. "do you want to be responsible for this happening at the con" and any of the affidavits pointing out this isn't a one-time thing

or start with the implications from the christian school he avoids mentioning at all, the abuse is from before his va work

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Thursday through Sunday, which is roughly half the time he has left to get the mediation done, plus a ten-hour flight home. And the organizers are well-enough acquainted with the case that, when one of us asked about it at volunteer orientation, they pivoted to the Funimation casting-couch story reeaaally quickly. This will be my last time volunteering here.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Condolences to the poor sap that ends up as his handler

Though on hindsight he prolly won't be much trouble, maybe

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Vic will probably be on his best behavior at cons until all this stuff blows over. He’s currently playing the role of The Anime Martyr and can’t afford to mess it up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Vic will probably be on his best behavior at cons until all this stuff blows over. He’s currently playing the role of The Anime Martyr and can’t afford to mess it up.

Gonna be honest given his obv narcissism I really doubt it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If these people had any self-restraint or fear of consequences they wouldn't be in this kind of situation in the first place.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Just checking, but what are the potential consequences if/when Vic loses this case? Hes gotta pay the lawyer fees for the other side, right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

value-brand cereal posted:

Just checking, but what are the potential consequences if/when Vic loses this case? Hes gotta pay the lawyer fees for the other side, right?

Lawyer fees plus sanctions

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

value-brand cereal posted:

They aren’t potential. They’re real unless he reaches a settlement at mediation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

They aren’t potential. They’re real unless he reaches a settlement at mediation.
Wasn't the judge very un-subtly suggesting that Mignogna's team settles because, as harsh as that might be, his final verdict on dismissal is gonna be way worse?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't the judge very un-subtly suggesting that Mignogna's team settles because, as harsh as that might be, his final verdict on dismissal is gonna be way worse?

Very much so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wark Say posted:

Yes. Ty Beard, though, thinks it means he’s winning.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Ty Beard, though, thinks it means he’s winning.

It seems like at this point he also knows they’re hosed but is just lying to the marks so that once they settle he can spin it into a gofundme to hit back at the anime deep state.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Baal posted:

The context of the situation is Aru is revealing he has a phone that allows him to witness the diaries of Yuki's that can see the future and how he'll try to change it too. The script writers took it as an opportunity to add some pinache and had Aru in the dub say "My phone is now the one that watches the watchmen" and while yes it is absolutely a valid translation of Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, the original context does not in any way reference that line and it is 100% the script writers trying to be cute and it took me out of the scene super loving hard. It isn't like the worst rewrite in the world, but a lot of that poo poo happens in the Mirai Nikki dub, sometimes it works a lot of times it feels very out of place. Not that I find Mirai Nikki the most engaging show in the world, but there were several times watching the dub I was confused as to loving why it felt like the dialogue was unnecessarily quirky and it turned out, yep, it was in fact the script writers taking a decent amount of liberties with the material.

Also I meant Mirai Nikki and not Yume Nikki like my previous post implied. I get my diary shows mixed up.

oh hell yeah someone put out my bat-signal

I don't really disagree with any of this, it was a very odd call for them to basically wholesale rewrite the dialogue, but... I can also totally see why they did it because the sub dialogue is awful and the dub dialogue actually sounds like things human beings would say

Like they get a lot of leeway from me for just replacing the endless barrage of "YUKKI-KUN YUKKI-KUN YUKKI-KUN YUKKI-KUN" with a bunch of cutesy pet names

e: also Brina Palencia plays Yuno way differently from the sub VA, but I kind of feel like it makes the series work better? like, the series really, desperately wants you to eventually empathize with her, and that works better with Palencia's less OTT take

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 27, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

El Fideo posted:

Thursday through Sunday, which is roughly half the time he has left to get the mediation done, plus a ten-hour flight home. And the organizers are well-enough acquainted with the case that, when one of us asked about it at volunteer orientation, they pivoted to the Funimation casting-couch story reeaaally quickly. This will be my last time volunteering here.

gently caress why even turn up just dont go

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

gently caress why even turn up just dont go

While gently caress the con itself, not showing up wouldn't be fair to the other volunteers. Also, responsibility and all that stuff.

After that, though, gently caress that con and gently caress ever doing anything with them again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh hell yeah someone put out my bat-signal

I don't necessarily disagree with taking liberties with Mirai Nikki's script because yeah, Yuno yelling Yuki Kun for 26 episodes is some insanely annoying poo poo. And yeah Brina Palencia is pretty good. My problem though is the dub doesn't seem to know when to turn it off. I feel like there has to exist a solid middle ground where it has it's fun with the script but actually plays it 100% straight when it needs to.

Digimon dubs try to do that to some extent and I've always thought that wasn't the worst way to do stuff like this, though some of them do get over the top with how much they do. Tamers is probably the most consistent they are with it where the lower stakes stuff has a lot of obvious liberties taken, but when the show gets serious the dub plays it pretty loving straight which is insane to think coming from Saban of all companies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also sorry to hear Vic is at your con, with any luck his rear end won't show up at AWA this year for me

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

While gently caress the con itself, not showing up wouldn't be fair to the other volunteers. Also, responsibility and all that stuff.

After that, though, gently caress that con and gently caress ever doing anything with them again.

Responsibility is a two-way street. If the con is OK with saying "Well, he hasn't been convicted of anything yet..." then one is perfectly justified to say "Well, my weekend just got freed up."

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Yeah, it's unfortunate for the other volunteers, but that's outweighed by your own personal morals and safety. gently caress any convention who would still book Vic at this point and put that risk on all of the people in attendance.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Captain Baal posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with taking liberties with Mirai Nikki's script because yeah, Yuno yelling Yuki Kun for 26 episodes is some insanely annoying poo poo. And yeah Brina Palencia is pretty good. My problem though is the dub doesn't seem to know when to turn it off. I feel like there has to exist a solid middle ground where it has it's fun with the script but actually plays it 100% straight when it needs to.

Digimon dubs try to do that to some extent and I've always thought that wasn't the worst way to do stuff like this, though some of them do get over the top with how much they do. Tamers is probably the most consistent they are with it where the lower stakes stuff has a lot of obvious liberties taken, but when the show gets serious the dub plays it pretty loving straight which is insane to think coming from Saban of all companies.

That middle ground can't be found as it is different for everyone. At the extremes I know a bunch of people who find the "senpai" etc littered over all manga and anime out there utterly infuriating while other people get upset if idioms are not translated verbatim even if they actually make no sense in English. I personally prefer natural sounding dialogue and attempts to find appropriate replacements for idioms in the language translated to (and really appreciate translation notes at the end of chapters...) but have gotten used to senpais, samas etc.

Exactly how to best "faithfully" translate a work is a huge topic of discussion and opinions in various media have drifted back and forth between natural and literal rendering in various times and places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also if the other volunteers are fine with him being there, gently caress'em too.