Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just remembered that Trump wields the pardon.

It could get Barr, and others, off the hook here.

This would not help Trump or the GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

lol

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1177006223792771072?s=20

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
MSNBC - "All the President's Mess"

Classic.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I can see the point, but I also kind of want to see how deep this hole goes.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1177007976999260160?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I can see the point, but I also kind of want to see how deep this hole goes.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1177007976999260160?s=20

I can't help but think that this 2-week recess is going to loving murder the momentum they have right now

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Bottom Liner posted:

They hold the trial after the house votes to impeach with the chief justice of the SC presiding. Removal of office requires 2/3s of the senate.

Oh right, this is why Roberts put out his statement.

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s like that scene in the Matrix, only instead of turning into Agent Smith, they all turn into John McCain.

It's raining McCain.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ. I really hate to burst the bubble here but if you think anything is going to happen with this I have magic beans to sell you.

Impeachment will never come to a vote in the house.

I know it's been so damned long since you or anyone here felt anything like hope, but we're facing the greatest case of naked Presidential corruption since Harding, not Nixon; and depending on the depth of the rabbit hole, Trump may officially be found to have exceeded Harding, which is wild to think about.

His conviction in the Senate looks real unlikely still, but if we find out Trump did stuff like what was revealed today, over and over, the House impeachment will happen. We're already reaching the point where every hour that passes makes impeachment a no-brainer for the House Dems in majority, to at least say that they tried to hold Trump accountable for an obvious crime and it's then in McConnell's corner to have the Senate follow through with it or otherwise. If you want to talk about getting the base fired up, having the House Democrats actually do the thing the base wants on an airtight case is a pretty basic way to do that, especially when the case gets so obvious that many House members feel compelled to support impeachment just to fulfill their oaths of office.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 26, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pence 2020!

Jumping on this train!!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ham posted:

I wonder how Q-Anons are reacting to all of this. Is this the last gasp of the deep state before the indictments finally make it out?

Seems to be 57d chess, trumps master plan, etc.
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1176900890470469632

https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1176885129546846209

Lots of crowdstrike conspiracy gibberish.

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1176959900045520897

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1176885320538828800

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a reminder that today Trump roped Pence into this, hard. Even said he would release Pence's call transcripts.

Everyone Trump touches gets destroyed it is amazing

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
This is probably going to wash out into the 10000 other things - Trump's removal will happen at the ballot box or not at all

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

SpaceDrake posted:

I know it's been so damned long since you or anyone here felt anything like hope, but we're facing the greatest case of naked Presidential corruption since Harding, not Nixon; and depending on the depth of the rabbit hole, Trump may officially be found to have exceeded Harding, which is wild to think about.

His conviction in the Senate looks ever less likely, but if we find out Trump did stuff like what was revealed today, over and over, it'll happen. We're already reaching the point where every hour that passes makes impeachment a no-brainer for the House Dems in majority, to at least say that they tried to hold Trump accountable for an obvious crime and it's then in McConnell's corner to have the Senate follow through with it or otherwise. If you want to talk about getting the base fired up, having the House Democrats actually do the thing the base wants on an airtight case is a pretty basic way to do that, especially when the case gets so obvious that many House members feel compelled to support impeachment just to fulfill their oaths of office.

The thing is Harding was beloved and all the corruption crap didn't come out until after he died in office, right?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BrazilianReport/status/1176854522817368065/photo/1

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...okie dokie

Not wierd at all

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Thanks for diving in the rabbithole, brave Bugsy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shifty Pony posted:

Just a reminder that today Trump roped Pence into this, hard. Even said he would release Pence's call transcripts.

Everyone Trump touches gets destroyed it is amazing

He's going to try and take anyone down with him that he can.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TulliusCicero posted:

...okie dokie

Not wierd at all

it’s satire

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Ham posted:

The biggest problem with Mueller's report I think is that it only really gave Dems the options of:

- move for impeachment on obstruction of justice,
- deny the report's findings re: Trump actively and directly engaging in collusion and try again to pin collusion.

Ultimately, impeachment is reliant on public opinion and I don't think either of the above would have resonated with people as much as what's ongoing with Ukraine and Trump literally, on record, shaking down another head of state using taxpayer funds for BUTHEREMAILS.

if they had hit don jr for the trump tower meeting it might have been difffernt

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wilhelm posted:

This is probably going to wash out into the 10000 other things - Trump's removal will happen at the ballot box or not at all

The complete destruction of Trump’s legislative agenda seems like a pretty good outcome

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/1176996660280471559

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so wait, are we, the public, or are we not getting the complaint at any point? feel like we have to given the open hearing tomorrow.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

decades again when it came out that Trump had likely obstructed justice by pressuring Comey I said "holy poo poo Trump might actually be impeached lol." little did I know then that we would have to wait this long for the great mattering to be upon us.

that said...I'll believe it when I see it, Erick son of erick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm trying not to get too hopeful just because I know despite being all 'wow you libs being mean to rape judge made me love trump' I know Eric is still, deep in his heart, a Romney/Sasse style coward who wants to say anti-trump things but never do them

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

My mom saved the newspaper front page from when Nixon got impeached. I hope I get the chance to save one for Donald fuckin' Trump.

I'm really hoping for Time Magazine to make him 'Person of the Year' over it.

Edit: So that I can frame the cover in fake gold.

tek79 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 26, 2019

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Wilhelm posted:

I mean, it doesn't have to result in conviction to be worth doing, and today's a really great example of why. The GOP really doesn't know how to defend Trump on this. The only thing that they can reasonably pin on Biden (that Hunter got a cushy board position because of his name) is stuff they don't really care about, and can't credibly raise a stink about when, for example, Jared Kushner is in the White House. So they're flailing around trying to make it something more than that, but they don't like being on the defensive for Trump and their heart doesn't seem to be in it, and the wrongdoing by Trump is so clear cut that they're having a hard time.

Meanwhile Trump's out there looking like more of a loon than usual and throwing everyone under the bus. He's visibly cracking in record time, and while that's technically dangerous since we don't know what he might do to save himself, he's also digging himself a hole faster and faster.

I don't know how much political damage will come of this but it's not going to be nothing at all.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

abelwingnut posted:

so wait, are we, the public, or are we not getting the complaint at any point? feel like we have to given the open hearing tomorrow.

it has to be declassified first

according to dems talking tonight, there are at least some portions that are definitely legitimately classified and must be redacted. they say that the vast majority can be read by the public though

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sleepy Carson is on "on point" dragging on "the transgenders" and blaming homeless women for his transphobia in the lead-up to claiming that deregulation and defunding shelters is the solution to homelessness.

Might be worth a listen if you hate your hair and sanity.

Streaming on HPR (warning, it's fundraising week)

E: The host "appreciated" Ben saying that the solutions need to be about the people rather than politics, so about as unnecessarily friendly as you'd expect from NPR.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 26, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:lol: So that actually might have been the cleaned up version of the call's notes

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/1177014939787173889

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

it’s satire

Satire no longer exists friend

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can't help but think that this 2-week recess is going to loving murder the momentum they have right now

The talk of parallels to Nixon ITT inspired me to revisit watergate through the eyes of Hunter Thompson. Tons of good stuff of course but this is relevant:

quote:

The Watergate Hearings — my daily fix, on TV. Thousands of people from all over the country are writing the networks to demand that this goddamn tedious nightmare be jerked off the air so they can get back to their favorite soap operas: As the World Turns, The Edge of Night, The Price Is Right and What Next for Weird Betty? They are bored by the spectacle of the Watergate hearings. The plot is confusing, they say; the characters are dull, and the dialogue is repulsive.

The President of the United States would never act that way — at least not during baseball season. Like Nixon’s new White House chief of staff, Melvin Laird, said shortly before his appointment: “If the President turns out to be guilty, I don’t want to hear about it.”

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: So that actually might have been the cleaned up version of the call's notes

Is the whistleblower testifying tomorrow? Shits coming so fast I don't know which way is up anymore.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fallom posted:

This would not help Trump or the GOP.

He's also enormously petty and wouldn't use a pardon unless it got him something in exchange.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Glumslinger posted:

This is going to get absolutely insane, even by Trump standards, isn't it?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

tek79 posted:

I'm really hoping for Time Magazine to make him 'Person of the Year' over it.

Edit: So that I can frame the cover in fake gold.

He's still up for the peace prize, right?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is the whistleblower testifying tomorrow? Shits coming so fast I don't know which way is up anymore.

DNI is testifying tomorrow morning

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

DNI is testifying tomorrow morning

That's right. Thank you.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

my bony fealty posted:

decades again when it came out that Trump had likely obstructed justice by pressuring Comey I said "holy poo poo Trump might actually be impeached lol." little did I know then that we would have to wait this long for the great mattering to be upon us.

that said...I'll believe it when I see it, Erick son of erick.

I read the mueller report and I was really under the impression that it would sink trump, what with firing comey and saying it was because of the russia thing. Im hoping this doesnt turn into a wet fart like the emoluments, mueller report

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

somebody do us a solid and leak this poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is amazing how fast this poo poo is spinning out of control for the GOP

Like Watergate looks like a loving masterstroke compared to this complete incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

This is amazing how fast this poo poo is spinning out of control for the GOP

Like Watergate looks like a loving masterstroke compared to this complete incompetence

Especially given the GOP members that have seen the whistleblower info are not happy, this isn't going to go well.