Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skylined! posted:

He's going to try and take anyone down with him that he can.

He has the power to take us all down.

But I think he's going to be so busy knifing the people he thought should have "protected" him that he won't get around to global thermonuclear war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1177015689703563265?s=19

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ManBoyChef posted:

I read the mueller report and I was really under the impression that it would sink trump, what with firing comey and saying it was because of the russia thing. Im hoping this doesnt turn into a wet fart like the emoluments, mueller report

It has legs because it's really easy for the public to digest, and there was public vocal movement against centrist dems on the edge of impeachment in general.

This is absolutely different than every other major scandal - not in the sense of its enormity and criminality, but in the sense that the public can grapple with it from a 4 minute radio blurb in the car or 10 minute news report before bed. It's very cut and dry.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the dems were very bad at highlighting obstruction and what "if i could've exonerated him i would have" actually meant.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ManBoyChef posted:

I read the mueller report and I was really under the impression that it would sink trump, what with firing comey and saying it was because of the russia thing. Im hoping this doesnt turn into a wet fart like the emoluments, mueller report

Another Goon made a great point about this: with the Mueller Report, they had a bunch of time to craft a narrative and get it out there. This is just hitting them like a ton of bricks and they have no time to react or plan.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So now house and senate folks have read the full whistleblower report, and tomorrow we hear from the DNI about why it was kept from them to begin with.
Meanwhile, Ukraine is all but confirming they were strong armed, and a potential second front is opening up re meddling in tax audits.

Its officially Infrastructure Week!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unrelated to today's news but another officer that should've been charged with a crime will not be:

quote:

The encounter in the Corona warehouse store spanned just 3.8 seconds. Investigators relied on a single, poor-quality surveillance video and witness testimony — some of which had to be compelled through subpoenas.

Sanchez, holding his 1½-year-old son, was standing in line for food samples with his wife when French, without warning or provocation, knocked Sanchez and the child to the ground. Seconds later, prosecutors said, Sanchez fired 10 rounds from his handgun, believing his life and his son's life were in immediate danger from an active shooter.

Four bullets struck French in the back and shoulder, one struck his mother in the stomach and another hit his father in the back, Corona police Chief George Johnstone said.

The gunfire prompted chaos inside the warehouse as terrified shoppers rushed to leave while police officers — who also believed there was an active shooter — ran inside.

Witnesses reported seeing Sanchez reach to the back of his head multiple times to look for blood, Hestrin said, noting that Sanchez's claim of being knocked unconscious was not supported by any evidence.

Galipo has said Russell and Paola French were trying to explain to the officer that his son had a mental disability when shots rang out. French, of Riverside, had been taken off his medication because of other health complications, which may have affected his behavior that night, Galipo has said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/district-attorney-plans-california-store-173042615.html

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Surely that whistle blower has protection....right?

......right? :ohdear:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

OAquinas posted:

So now house and senate folks have read the full whistleblower report, and tomorrow we hear from the DNI about why it was kept from them to begin with.
Meanwhile, Ukraine is all but confirming they were strong armed, and a potential second front is opening up re meddling in tax audits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYmOgngWTLI

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I never expected his collapse to come so quickly; the fact that he openly admitted to it after dodging what should have been the scythe with the Mueller Report is absolutely insane

Like him and Guiliani are absolutely loving insane

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Another Goon made a great point about this: with the Mueller Report, they had a bunch of time to craft a narrative and get it out there. This is just hitting them like a ton of bricks and they have no time to react or plan.

And when they try to flail together some talking points and broadcast them out to everybody IMMEDIATELY, look what happens lmao

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1177014985102364675?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Doesn't the executive control clearance? So the lawyer will not get it right?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Report on how House Democrats turned it up from 3 to 11 in support of impeachment:

Why the House Democratic Caucus Was Able to Move So Rapidly Toward Impeachment
"Then Monday night, six of the most vocal opponents of impeachment, the type Raskin was referring to at last week’s meeting, published a joint op-ed in the Washington Post, calling for impeachment proceedings to begin: The authors, all front-line freshmen, included Spanberger, Slotkin, Gil Cisneros of California, Houlahan, Luria, and Sherrill. (Jason Crow of Colorado also signed, but he had previously come out in support of impeachment.)"

All from purple states, who had been holding out against impeachment until the initial poo poo hit the turbine and they wrote an oped (no WAPO sub so straight link):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/24/seven-freshman-democrats-these-allegations-are-threat-all-we-have-sworn-protect/

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TulliusCicero posted:

I never expected his collapse to come so quickly; the fact that he openly admitted to it after dodging what should have been the scythe with the Mueller Report is absolutely insane

OJ Simpson is on twitter now, and he knows exactly what this feels like.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Doesn't the executive control clearance? So the lawyer will not get it right?

They do not. Clearances are issued by agencies. The background investigation process can be run by OPM/DCSA and/or the FBI (or other agencies depending, like in the case of DHS)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Glumslinger posted:

:lol: So that actually might have been the cleaned up version of the call's notes

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/1177014939787173889

The real transcript must be bonkers.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The transcript is a word for word description of the piss tape and I will believe nothing else.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I still can't believe that 4 hours later the only statements we've seen from Republicans who have seen the full report are three saying "troubling."

That's nuts. Feels big to me. Under normal circumstances they'd be doing what Graham did this morning.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

drilldo squirt posted:

The transcript is a word for word description of the piss tape and I will believe nothing else.

The pee tape could drop tonight and it would be only about the 5th or 6th most damaging thing in the last 24 hours.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AhhYes posted:

I still can't believe that 4 hours later the only statements we've seen from Republicans who have seen the full report are three saying "troubling."

That's nuts. Feels big to me. Under normal circumstances they'd be doing what Graham did this morning.

And even Graham/Collins very specifically did not comment on it when on fox earlier this evening

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haven't heard from Rudy in a while either. :thunk:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Donald Trump and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day.

https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/1177020821170216960?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The thing is too, per the article, the guy didn't even hear the recording first hand. The actual concerned parties were white house personnel and he reported their concern to the IG.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AhhYes posted:

It really must be completely and totally damning. I wonder what the classified bits are, maybe Rudy's overseas calls were tapped?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

OAquinas posted:

Also the senate voted to cancel Trump's emergency power to fund the wall.

(but Trump can veto it)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

they're not insane (well, Rudy's brain is clearly mushed peas) - they're wealthy white men who have gotten away with everything in the past that would have sunk literally anyone not a wealthy white man. it makes perfect sense that the Mueller coverup would embolden them to do this. it's never mattered before, why would it now?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dubar posted:

The talk of parallels to Nixon ITT inspired me to revisit watergate through the eyes of Hunter Thompson. Tons of good stuff of course but this is relevant:

The thing is, I feel like this relates to what other goons were talking about w/r/t Mueller; the investigation for Mueller took for-e-ver, banged on the same points over and over, summarizing it took ages and new developments required following the convoluted thing from the start, et cetera.The Nixon hearings were the same way in that they took ages to fully unravel and there was all the fighting over getting the tapes, chasing down corroboration, etc. Even Billy C's thing was annoying because it got so raunchy and relied a lot on "what did he say or not say".

But here? While I doubt we can keep this pace up for too much longer, it definitely seems like we haven't nearly heard everything yet, and so long as there's at least one spicy new revelation a week for a while, The Donny Trump Show is going to become the hottest hour of TV in town for everybody. Seeing the Democrats actually do poo poo is going to energize both ends of the base significantly and generate goodwill that more stuff will happen if the Dems win it all in 2020, so it's a grand slam for them and there's no reason not to do it. And Trump's always been good at drawing in crowds, but with his dementia clearly progressing by the day and no way to actually rein him in, it's not actually doing to do the Republicans who are just career cowards and hitched their saddle to fascism for an easy ride any good when the horse goes totally wild.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Louis Gohmert is one of the ghouls that voted “present” in that 421-0 vote.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inject it into my veins

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Haven't there been times where huge stories dropped and Republicans all went silent for a while?

Tomorrow morning will be the measuring stick for me, IMO. In other instances they pulled all nighters and then hit the morning shows as a united front with talking points. If they're still silent tomorrow morning... it's REAL bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Trumps first attempt to speedrun Nixon’s impeachment ended up sputtering into nothing but this second run is on world record shattering pace if we date the start of it to the first phone call back in May.

How long was it between the watergate breakin and the House beginning impeachment inquiries? Because were at 4 months right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Haven't there been times where huge stories dropped and Republicans all went silent for a while?

Tomorrow morning will be the measuring stick for me, IMO. In other instances they pulled all nighters and then hit the morning shows as a united front with talking points. If they're still silent tomorrow morning... it's REAL bad.

They were playing around with talking points (the one they accidentally emailed to Dems this AM) but after the report hit the Intel Committees in the Senate and Congress, they've gone dead silent other than a few stunned "This isn't good" responses.

Its bad enough that even known strong GOP members are spooked.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Trumps first attempt to speedrun Nixon’s impeachment ended up sputtering into nothing but this second run is on world record shattering pace if we date the start of it to the first phone call back in May.

How long was it between the watergate breakin and the House beginning impeachment inquiries? Because were at 4 months right now.

2+ years.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1177020810059485184?s=20

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Hahah Rick Santorum selling his soul on CNN.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CommieGIR posted:

They were playing around with talking points (the one they accidentally emailed to Dems this AM) but after the report hit the Intel Committees in the Senate and Congress, they've gone dead silent other than a few stunned "This isn't good" responses.

Its bad enough that even known strong GOP members are spooked.

Well yes, but so much has happened since even then. We'll see what tomorrow morning's response is.

Speaking of which... do you think they're desperate enough to dust off Kellyanne Conway and put her in front of cameras tomorrow?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I think the fact that their talking points leaked means they have to come up with plausible new ones and don't want to seem like they are all using the leaked talking points.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The break in was Jan of 1972, the select committee was established in Feb of 1973. So yeah Trump's splits are crazy good, a combination of luck and some new tech discovered by the Crimes community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rabble posted:

Hahah Rick Santorum selling his soul on CNN.

hard to find a buyer for a nonexistent good

insert santorumfamily.jpg here