Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

you could also get China to come in and shanghai them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a solution to giant doomstacks? I'm Byzantium and the Shia have formed right on my doorstep. Every few years they go "hey we're going to take Anatolia" or whatever and there is literally poo poo all my 25k dudes can do about their 75k dudes.

The answer to everything is murder.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Technowolf posted:

The answer to everything is murder.

Not so with the Seljuks on my Russia game. Shortly after I form the Russian Empire (control all of Empire of Rus, Empire of Volga-Bulgaria, and Empire of Caspian Steppe) the neighboring Seljuks drop a holy war on Derbent. Lose quickly from their doomstacks assaulting holdings faster than I can rally my troops. I kill the Seljuk padshah in revenge, then the new one declares war on me cuz he has no truce or HW cooldown. I try more murder and somehow he winds up with even more event troops. He's got like 90k now to my 20k. poo poo sucks. :smith:

Edit: I'm going to have to amass grace with China to get them to smash the Seljuks or I'm hosed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Misclicked and accidentally left a crusade just before it launched.

Oops

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, time to raid St. Louis. It's right down the river, and if I'm sitting on their primary holding they won't be able to dislo

"DEUS VULT!"

...welp.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’d have taken over the world by now if it hadn’t been for those drat vassals screwing up dejure borders. Who cares about infidels and heathens when the Duke of Wessex has land in Northumbria. I can never take anything but intrigue focus because of it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

I’d have taken over the world by now if it hadn’t been for those drat vassals screwing up dejure borders. Who cares about infidels and heathens when the Duke of Wessex has land in Northumbria. I can never take anything but intrigue focus because of it.

You need to get yourself that bloodline that allows you to plot to revoke any territory rather than just the ones that meet the usual requirements.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There should be an achievement for every vassal in a decent sized kingdom only holding their dejure territory.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

1stGear posted:

There should be an achievement for every vassal in a decent sized kingdom only holding their dejure territory.

I don't believe in joke achievements that are impossible to get.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Misclicked and accidentally left a crusade just before it launched.

Oops

Join the club, there desperately should be an "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO BE EXCOMMUNICATED" confirmation.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saros posted:

Join the club, there desperately should be an "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO BE EXCOMMUNICATED" confirmation.

The buttons are "Nope!" and "Excommunicate me u lil bitch."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, ATE:

If I'm starting as the Jarl of Green Bay, and I go on the Legendary Journey, and it doesn't end in a fight with a bear, then you dropped the drat football.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Guys I think I hosed up. The Aztecs showed up about 1000ad and have rolled most of France, half of Germany and most of the British isles. Me, Kingdom of Amalfi (Sicilly) (and Africa) called a crusade to restore Germany and I got an event chain where a princess of the Byzantine empire shows up. Because I can't say no to a prompt I followed it and the end result is my most idiotic failson ruling two Dutchies around Constantinople and the Byzantine empire shattered into a million pieces.

The Abbasid's are intact and rolling up the east of old Byazantine while the Aztecs use their 150k troops to slowly stomp Germannic nations one by one. I think i've singlehandedly doomed Christianity in this world.

On the upside Judaism is somehow the dominant religion of a massive belt of land running from Croatia to Kazakhstan :shrug:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'd say "play it out!" but to be honest I haven't gotten to the point where I can watch my stuff burn down and not reflexively revert to an earlier save (it's getting there).

Speaking of which, my Tyrling has 50 Martial and a 200 Personal Combat score. His brother and successor is one-legged and has a still-impressive Personal Combat of 70.

Remember that Dueling is just a more public form of assassination.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'd say "play it out!" but to be honest I haven't gotten to the point where I can watch my stuff burn down and not reflexively revert to an earlier save (it's getting there).

Speaking of which, my Tyrling has 50 Martial and a 200 Personal Combat score. His brother and successor is one-legged and has a still-impressive Personal Combat of 70.

Remember that Dueling is just a more public form of assassination.

I never mastered the art of that, because every time I try and duel, I just stack up inappropriate challenges maluses, since my rivals are all cowards and never accept.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Eimi posted:

I never mastered the art of that, because every time I try and duel, I just stack up inappropriate challenges maluses, since my rivals are all cowards and never accept.

My favourite is when they accept despite having terrible combat skills, then the two of you end up killing each other in the duel. I had that happen three times to fantastic kings in their 20s, in my current game. As a result of this I think the name 'Filip' is cursed in my dynasty, so I'm making sure to never have another.
(The deaths of Filips I-III ushered in a new age of unrest, regencies and childhood assassinations for my kingdom, sadly. It lasted for maybe 30 years, before I was actually able to get another adult ruler)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Managed to rejoin the crusade and shove all my men aboard boats just in time for it to end and the Pope to get cross at me for not showing up. Now Egypt is a massively powerful crusader state.

I've almost managed to recapture all of the Iberian peninsula but one of the Sultans just had to go and convert to Christianity. He's somehow still managed to hang on through that rough early period before I Christianized the hell out of Andalusia with a sword and has even done his own share of holy wars so I won't be able to form the empire without chipping away some of his land even after I conquer the remaining Muslims. Then of course my king, a famed warrior and duelist, had to go and die in battle, while dueling some rando baron with the combat skills of a narcoleptic toddler, and now I am his three year old son.

Then my longterm goal is to somehow become Basque and have a long line of empresses.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 27, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How about dieing in a duel when you were a few tech points away from unlocking primogeniature, so now you're playing a third cousin to the ultra-rad predecessor who has none of his cool bloodlines?

It's not the worse case, I'll admit, but now I've thought up the phrase "emergency inbreeding" and I sort of hate myself for it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not the worse case, I'll admit, but now I've thought up the phrase "emergency inbreeding" and I sort of hate myself for it.

What do you mean? What's so bad about always keeping a child of each gender unmarried, just in case a loser cousin inherits and needs to sex them up ASAP, to ensure that your bloodlines don't die off? :confused:

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Whats the best way to steal an artifact from someone? Just keep raiding them?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zathril posted:

Whats the best way to steal an artifact from someone? Just keep raiding them?

If they're landed, yes. If not, try to get them into your court. When they die there is a 50% chance you'll get the artifact. Or it could be lost forever.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I found a mod that adds the Cult of Marx to ATE, but it was a little broken and the creator couldn't change the uploaded mod because Steam. I was able to follow the fix easy enough. but while the mod now seems to work it's not compatible with my current save.

My first thought is to pick as start where I'll feel the least bad about abandoning any initial mechanics (which is what led me to abandon my Khazar game), but I also like the idea of going from Consumerism to Cult of Marx. Do the consumerists always appear in the same place?

EDIT: In my current playthrough, I'm at the point where I can form a custom Empire, but I'd like to get a new flag for my realm and not just keep using the one I've been using for my kingdom. I noticed in my last game there were a couple of Empires that formed with unique flags (specifically the Dellsman Empire and Motowner Empire). Are there specific conditions to creating those titles?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

Do the consumerists always appear in the same place?

no, they spawn in a different place each game. i don't think they spawn randomly, but rather from a list of places in the united states. you can probably dig around in the game scripts to see the possible locations

SirPhoebos posted:

I noticed in my last game there were a couple of Empires that formed with unique flags (specifically the Dellsman Empire and Motowner Empire). Are there specific conditions to creating those titles?

iirc these use the vanilla custom empire rules. you need to have 8k prestige, and 180 realm size or three kingdom titles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've started poking around for information on After the End since I started playing, and this is what you'll want to read if you're aiming to do a consumerist run. Just get the ruler designer DLC.

I've been playing Americanists in Virginia, and the Old Dominion has expanded to the point where I'm wedged between the Pennsylvania Dutch to the north and the Confederacy to the south. There's a slew of Christians and Rust Cultists ripe for the picking out west past the Appalachians, but they're mostly pretty poor, and I may just need to sit back and consolidate power for primogeniture for now.
I also conquered Boston away from the Occultists, so I might be able to leapfrog around and conquer some northern pagans. The Confederacy got its mitts on Jersey though (through the Hamptons republic, so maybe I can get it through de jure?).

It's so hard to find powerful allies in this mod from just how broken up all the religions are. Thank god I can marry Rust Cultists, because otherwise I'd be stuck with nutmeggers and floridians. The Confederates are somehow slowly converting to Canadian Catholicism. There was a children's crusade for DC, which scared me at first, but then their 27k troops were all pushovers and I wiped them out with a third of the numbers.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Unyielding is one of the best pagan reformation choices mostly because the defensive bonuses when you eventually expand into Catholic or Muslim territory and they crusade/jihad you. You can attrition a force twice your size down into something beatable with unyielding

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Uhhh....

hm?

aww :3:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

EmbryoSteve posted:

Unyielding is one of the best pagan reformation choices mostly because the defensive bonuses when you eventually expand into Catholic or Muslim territory and they crusade/jihad you. You can attrition a force twice your size down into something beatable with unyielding

Unyielding (actually, anything other than Proselytizing) is kind of annoying since only zealous rulers will try to convert their own provinces. Other than that, I think the only thing that would make me reconsider taking it is if I was reforming Tengrism, since Unyielding replaces that religion's 30% light cavalry attack+defense bonus.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there a way to get deal with no longer being able to use a river because of Fort Levels?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a way to get deal with no longer being able to use a river because of Fort Levels?

Conquer everything along the river.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I thought unyielding was the only other nature that had conversions, I know that's a big problem with warlike that no one ever does any conversion work.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SirPhoebos posted:

if there’s just one province with a leveled fort you might be able to raid it until the fort gets trashed? that is my only idea. there’s no tech level you can reach to nullify it like for the pagan homeland attrition. it’s definitely a pain but Vikings are way too strong anyway

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What you're going to say she isn't? I wouldn't want to piss her off.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think I'll go back to the base game and give the Byzantines a try WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MINOR TITLES? :psyduck:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Keeper of the Feral Hogs

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Eimi posted:

What you're going to say she isn't? I wouldn't want to piss her off.

there’s a deep sadness in her eyes...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If she's the fairest I don't want to know what the rest look like.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everybody looks like a potato, anyway, so you just gotta use your imagination

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

a fatguy bald spot posted:

there’s a deep sadness in her eyes...

A real darkness behind the eye?

I would love to be able to give Keeper of the feral hogs out. Does anyone really bother with minor titles anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're not feral if they're kept. That's kind of the whole point, all feral hogs started out as or descended from normal pigs on a farm that were let loose by irresponsible farmers and became aggressive vermin.

Might be neat to have a royal pig farmer though.