Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure that means the whistleblower report is a total smoking gun then

It’s also the one thing that would get the support of more than half of the senate and half of the country, as well as all non-conservative media. A lot of left leaning outlets and pundits were tetchy on impeachment for “general bad behavior”, and not all democrat voters were on board. Keeping the impeachment scope limited to Ukraine will only see opposition from the die hard Trump cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Paradoxish posted:

Oh yeah. If we're just talking about reading tea leaves to guess the content of the report then I agree that it must be awful. I just don't believe that Senate Republicans would ever vote to remove Trump if they felt like it would actually threaten their job security. It's gotta be bad in a way that will specifically collapse Trump's public support.

I'm really curious what could be so bad that it's drawing stronger reactions than that hilariously damning transcript, though.

Its gonna come out that the transcript was heavily sanitized.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm starting to lean towards just focusing on this and possibly the second whistle blower report about Trump interfering with the IRS audits of his and Pence's returns.

The Mueller report is old hat and so many idiots believe "how can you obstruct if there was no crime???" that I think throwing that in would muddle the process and allow the right to focus on that to drown out the more recent poo poo that is easier to explain.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1177030096227622913

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, but he did the exact same thing when he fired comey

The president has the right to fire the FBI director

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
So did both the House and Senate *unanimously* pass resolutions telling the whitehouse to release the whistleblower report? I mean I'm sure R's did it for cynical reasons but goddamn that is pretty insane and maybe gives me just the tiniest twinkle of hope more than anything else in this hellworld.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

not joseph stalin posted:

So that puts us at officially passing the house, then? Yay.

Assuming they all vote Yes at put-up-or-shut-up time, then yes they've crossed the magic threshold.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, but he did the exact same thing when he fired comey

A lot of people incorrectly believe you can't obstruct justice if there was no crime. This mobster poo poo with Ukraine is a lot easier sell, especially to the public.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait, for impeachment, don't you need 2/3s in both houses?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Otteration posted:

Pastor Robert Jeffress: Rainbows Are God’s Way of Saying Climate Change is Fake
September 24, 2019
'“God said he created the environment to serve us, not for us to serve the environment,” Jeffress replied. “This Greta Thunberg, the 16 year-old, she was warning today about the mass extinction of humanity. Somebody needs to read poor Greta Genesis chapter 9 and tell her the next time she worries about global warming, just look at a rainbow; that’s God’s promise that the polar ice caps aren’t going to melt and flood the world again.”'

Oh, now the fundies want to be rainbow friendly?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

not joseph stalin posted:

I'm excited about her Just Society proposal, but I'm curious as to why she would release it today, of all days, when it will get the least attention. Hopefully she touches on that question.

I went and read her website about this proposal and I love it. So yes, it's all about getting progressives like me aboard the train when momentum is highest. Anything else I can type out would be primary chat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Interweb posted:

Majority in the House to impeach, 2/3 in the Senate to remove.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr Interweb posted:

Impeachment is basically Congress - specifically the House - saying, 'we think the president did A Thing(s)' and only requires a simple majority in the house. The actual removal/conviction trial, with the Senate as the jurors, requires 2/3rd.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

No. Just a majority to actually impeach in the house and then 2/3rds to convict in the Senate.

I'm not trying to be a jackass but you post here rather frequently and this has been covered many many many times, how are you still unaware of how the impeachment process works?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Where's Nunes on all of this? And more importantly what does Ja Rule think about all of this?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Even though the government collapses, still need the taxes:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Interweb posted:

No, just a simple majority in the House to send it to the Senate for a trial. You need 2/3rds in the Senate to remove him from office.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Can someone explain why this one thing mattered when everything else didn't?
Here's my best guess:

Trump, in his Incredibly High Dimensional IQ, did and said something very blatantly illegal and confessed to it. There are multiple witnesses to him doing this incredibly stupid thing, and it's incredibly recent.

One or two of those and you could get away with lying about it. That's what we saw Mitch whenever he was called upon, he would worm his away around offering an answer by making appeals to his 'bad' memory. However if all three are true, then it becomes a lot harder to lie about it if you're reasonably concerned that you'll have to offer testimony. If you do lie about it and someone else doesn't, you're far up poo poo creek because now you've very obviously committed perjury for the sake of defending the dumbest man alive.

In the cases of Trump firing Comey or the Trump Tower meeting, they were able to muddy the waters enough that he could get away with it. I think the fact that they're not already trying to do so is indicative that they have no clue how to spin this thing.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Mr Interweb posted:

Only in the senate for removal of the president. Technically it's a vote of present members also.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mr Interweb posted:

Probably beaten, but no. You just need a majority in the House. 67 Senators, though

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

thanks people

RandomBlue posted:

No. Just a majority to actually impeach in the house and then 2/3rds to convict in the Senate.

I'm not trying to be a jackass but you post here rather frequently and this has been covered many many many times, how are you still unaware of how the impeachment process works?

well, i knew the part about the senate, i wasn't sure about the house. initially i thought it was weird how you need only majority on one side, but more than a majority in the other. but then i remembered that's basically how everything's been for decades, so yes, brainfart on my part.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

it would be amazing if Trump were brought down by his own insistence on believing stupid conspiracy theories.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Jay Sekulow is doing a lot of yelling on CNN right now.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah but i cringed pretty hard every time snl brought on robert deniro to play mueller and having the audience lose their poo poo for 10 minutes

What are you even talking about. All this great stuff is going on and your complaining about memes and snl.

Do you have a deeper point? People are stupid?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

it would be amazing if Trump were brought down by his own insistence on believing stupid conspiracy theories.

Q Anon was a Dem deep cover op all along. Q is Obama.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hahahaha Chris Cuomo pointing out to Jay Sekulo, who cites a CNN report, that CNN cannot be fake news since Sekulo is using the report to advance his argument.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pahuyuth posted:

Hahahaha Chris Cuomo pointing out to Jay Sekulo, who cites a CNN report, that CNN cannot be fake news since Sekulo is using the report to advance his argument.

Yeah, chuds loving HATE it when you do that.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
The argument from Democratic leadership was that the surest way to remove Trump from office was to beat him in a fair election— that impeachment will fire up Trump's base like nothing else.

This call to Ukraine shows the folly of that thought: if Trump won't be punished for election interference, then obviously he'll do it again. In fact, he'll do it again so obviously that no one can deny he's doing it.

And the only way to get him to stop is to bring to bear the only punishment the House has that he actually cares about.

That, I think, is why this has mattered when nothing else has. The Ukraine call shows the naivety of waiting until next November.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One easy way to describe the impeachment process for those who are little confused about the different steps:

-The house vote is like a grand jury voting on whether to indict. All you need is a simple majority of the “grand jury” to indict/impeach.

-The debate trial is like an actual trial with the prosecution and defense and a judge and the senate votes Guilty/Not Guilty. Need 67 Guilty votes to convict.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Interweb posted:

thanks people

well, i knew the part about the senate, i wasn't sure about the house. initially i thought it was weird how you need only majority on one side, but more than a majority in the other. but then i remembered that's basically how everything's been for decades, so yes, brainfart on my part.

It's not that weird when you consider that it's basically a split between indicting and convicting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like how they threw "full days of work" in there

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

If you have a very basic question about impeachment (like, what is the difference between impeachment and what the senate does?) you should probably just read the constitution. It isn’t that long.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The funniest part about the whole thing is there was no need for Trump to push this angle anyway. Attacking Biden for corruption doesn’t work. It was easy with Hillary because she made it easy, and people have believed her to be corrupt for 3 decades. Even if all of the facts were on Trump’s side, bringing up the one time the Biden family enriched themselves with sketchy foreign money, when your own family is neck deep in that poo poo, is not going to win over voters or keep the anti-Trump vote at home.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

RandomBlue posted:

I'm starting to lean towards just focusing on this and possibly the second whistle blower report about Trump interfering with the IRS audits of his and Pence's returns.

The Mueller report is old hat and so many idiots believe "how can you obstruct if there was no crime???" that I think throwing that in would muddle the process and allow the right to focus on that to drown out the more recent poo poo that is easier to explain.

Thanks to Barr, the Mueller report was much squashed from the public consciousness. It would be nice to see an official impeachment-soepeona dredging into even just that.

Start the argument with Ukraine, then turn slowly with a quiet, "And by the way, here's some other crimes...." Maybe the dredge will hook into Barr and Pence in the meantime.

Not sure we should care about what "many idiots" believe while the Administration is currently Wiley Coyote.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Oh, now the fundies want to be rainbow friendly?

Slap it on the wall, see what sticks. :)

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I'm not sure I trust a twitter account with #resistance in the bio...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sorry trying to keep up in a flood of posts - is it verified there is or was a recording of the Ukraine phone call? I've read one or two news items suggesting these calls are no longer recorded and we only have transcripts and notes from other listeners.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I never watch Cuomo so I don't know how he usually is but watching him make Sekulo squirm is awesome

Sekulo and Rudy are so goddamn bad lol

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

If you have a very basic question about impeachment (like, what is the difference between impeachment and what the senate does?) you should probably just read the constitution. It isn’t that long.

The thread aside, most of the comments I've seen from my reps today have been along the lines of "Dems should have just waited to see the transcript and made this jump to declare Trump guilty and impeach prematurely" so there is definitely a problem with the GOP preying on the fact people don't actually understand the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Sorry trying to keep up in a flood of posts - is it verified there is or was a recording of the Ukraine phone call? I've read one or two news items suggesting these calls are no longer recorded and we only have transcripts and notes from other listeners.

No there is no recording. The whistleblower’s report is likely to give us the info that was missing from the doctored transcript.