Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Presumably qui gon would have come back for her once the ticking clock was resolved, but tragically he died and uhhh I guess no one else including anakin really cared enough to press the issue afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Stairmaster posted:

are we sure midochlorians aren't just mitochondria

Are you saying Lucas ripped off Parasite Eve and not DBZ? :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

What does he say I forget

“The only way I can get an erection now is by injecting midichlorians directly into the base of my penis.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anakin went back

Much later

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a scene where he evokes the force to win a bet, and then when the force doesn't do what he wants, he cheats. This is soon followed by a scene where he's attacked by a demon, who ultimately kills him.

He pisses the force off so much that it has him assassinated.

To be fair to him, that really is a loaded die. The cube is painted so that the two colors each wrap around in a “C” shape, and you can roll such a die along the appropriate axis to give yourself a 75% chance of winning.

Watto is swindling Qui-Gon by misrepresenting the nature of the game of the chance, and so Qui-Gon cheats him right back.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

To be fair to him, that really is a loaded die. The cube is painted so that the two colors each wrap around in a “C” shape, and you can roll such a die along the appropriate axis to give yourself a 75% chance of winning.

Watto is swindling Qui-Gon by misrepresenting the nature of the game of the chance, and so Qui-Gon cheats him right back.

What the gently caress ? I don’t remember that in the movie at all.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Though notably Sheev does say “use the force to influence the midichlorians” and not “use the midichlorians to influence the force”. Big difference!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSA3QVrggl0&t=90s

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

What the gently caress ? I don’t remember that in the movie at all.

It is, as they say, shown and not told.

https://youtu.be/DwxXlWAvu_I

You can tell the colors are lined up in the shape I described because you can see the same color on opposite faces. Watto rolls the die in the direction that has three red faces and only one blue face. Qui-Gon then reaches out with the force to knock the die over so that it's rolling on the other axis.

The fairer way to paint the cube would be to make it so the three red faces meet at the same vertex, while the blue faces meet at the opposite vertex.

Edit: the clip I linked is edited to make Watto win the toss, amusingly. I can’t find the proper clip on YouTube. But the point is that you can see the cube and Watto's method of rolling it.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 25, 2019

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You can also go to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and buy your own set of Official Chance Cubes and see that that is indeed the case

https://youtu.be/1432bnU1vqQ

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You can also tell by how pissed Watto gets that he fully expected the other outcome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about wrt to dice

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

One way of loading dice is that extra layers of paint applied to some sides can influence how it lands to the point where you have a very good chance of knowing the outcome based on how you roll it instead of it really being random. Watto's die is colored in such a way and he rolls it expecting a winning outcome for him. But it's blatant enough as Zoran points out that Qui-Gonn notices (plus from everything about Watto so far, like yeah of course he's going to cheat in some way). So when he uses the force to influence it he doesn't have to necessarily tell it to make a very specific number come up or otherwise be too blatant. He just changes the axis on which Watto rolled it, using the rigged die against Watto to make him lose instead of win.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 25, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

euphronius posted:

Find any standard die, and imagine you wanted it to land on 1, 2, or 6 (but it doesn’t matter which of those three values you get). Notice that starting with 1 on top, you can roll the die over once to get to 2, and then once more in the same direction to get to 6. So if you just roll the die in that direction when you throw it, it'll go from 1 to 2 to 6 to 5 (the only bad result) back to 1.

Imagine the 1, 2, and 6 are red, and you'll understand what Watto's doing with his chance cube.

Neo Rasa posted:

One way of loading dice is that extra layers of paint applied to some sides can influence how it lands to the point where you have a very good chance of knowing the outcome based on how you roll it instead of it really being random. Watto's die is colored in such a way and he rolls it expecting a winning outcome for him.

It's not a weight trick at all, just a deceptive method of labeling the sides that allows you to bias the results with the correct throwing technique.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 25, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quigon is not the narrator of Star Wars.

Quigon is not ‘analogous to’ the narrator of Star Wars.

The end of IX will reveal Liam Neeson reading to a room full of college kids off a datapad

"And that's the Skywalker Saga."

*throws datapad over his shoulder*

"What a crock of poo poo, right?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

The end of IX will reveal Liam Neeson reading to a room full of college kids off a datapad

"They died."

*throws datapad over his shoulder*

"What a crock of poo poo, right?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

The Bible is nonfiction, the Prequels are fiction.

Correct - but a children’s story in which a sentient mustard seed lifts a sentient Mount Everest because he simply decides to become omnipotent just isn’t a good story.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

El Burbo posted:

Though notably Sheev does say “use the force to influence the midichlorians” and not “use the midichlorians to influence the force”. Big difference!

yeah its hard to tell if that's the intent and the Jedi have how the Force works completely backwards or if George Lucas is a HACK

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I haven't read this thread in a month so I might have several posts of replies in a row...

Neo Rasa posted:

A New Hope is one of the tightest movies ever made. Like scene when the Imperial officers+Vader+Tarkin meet, think of what an insanely bad and tedious exposition dump the equivalent of that scene is in so many other sci-fi/fantasy/adventuresome movies. But there it's like nothing even two minutes and you know everyone's personality, where they all stand on the movie's conflict so far, and what the geopolitical situation of the galaxy is, etc. It's perfect.

pro-click if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

General Dog posted:

For my money, Han and Leia's reunion scene in The Force Awakens is the worst scene in the entire series, as it's a 2-3 minute information dump that provides no meaningful character beats, and- remarkably- no meaningful information, either.

As much as I loathe TFA for being a loving remake, I gotta defend JJ right here: this was the entire point -- the characters were exactly the same. Leia was leading the rebellion and Han was back to his old ways.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 25, 2019

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
If Qui-Gon was meant to be an example of an ideal jedi, how come in the first scene he's in Obi-Wan correctly senses there's something wrong with this whole trade dispute deal (seeming to feel Sidious behind it all already) and Qui-Gon tells him to shut up as they are facing cowards who will fold easily?

Sure got that one wrong.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

garycoleisgod posted:

If Qui-Gon was meant to be an example of an ideal jedi, how come in the first scene he's in Obi-Wan correctly senses there's something wrong with this whole trade dispute deal (seeming to feel Sidious behind it all already) and Qui-Gon tells him to shut up as they are facing cowards who will fold easily?

Sure got that one wrong.

yeah he also got killed! so much for a master jedi, idiot!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
midichlorians are the powerhouse of the force

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

garycoleisgod posted:

Sure got that one wrong.

Considering pretty much everyone except maybe the supposed starving blockaded people on naboo would have been better off in the long term had they both just died then, perhaps even this was wise

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

No Mods No Masters posted:

Considering pretty much everyone except maybe the supposed starving blockaded people on naboo would have been better off in the long term had they both just died then, perhaps even this was wise

There's being in touch with the force, and there's being a good person. Quigon is one of these things. The rest of the Jedi are neither.

Luke correctly identified which of these things he should be in the ot

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
Anankin: I heard you talking about Midichlorians. Sir, what are midichlorians?

Qui-gon: *gets down to look Anakin in the eye while putting his hand on his shoulder* It's heroin.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I never noticed the dice were rigged, but it seems so obvious now that Qui-Gon would be like "loving really, bruh?!" and change the result.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

George Lucas wanted the sequels to be about microscopic force creatures. No one should be listening to him.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lucas’ sequels were going to be about what’s been causing all these mutations. Like, why do people have psychic powers in the first place?

Of course we have the midichlorians as a basic mechanism, but where did they come from? It seems like Lucas was going to reveal that midichlorians did not evolve naturally, but were engineered by an ancient species that had transcended its concrete physical form and spread itself across the galaxy as a ‘grey goo’ sort of deal.

So these ‘Whills’ have been subtly manipulating events - and that automatically raises questions of, like, what are their intentions? Are they evil?

Shrinking people for microscopic adventures was a big part of golden-silver age pulp cinema. Considering Star Wars was always a tribute to things Lucas watched as a kid, we shouldn't be surprised that this was the move.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kathleen Kennedy- “oh really? Endgame got 3 hours? Well we get five”

Star Wars deserves as much time as it needs to wrap things up, even if the poo poo is destined to be dumb as gently caress.

YaketySass posted:

Famously mystical concept, an "energy field" created by biological life.

The fact that he said "energy field" implies that this mystical thing was always leaning more towards the science-y aspects of the universe and less towards the spiritual. It fits right in with all the rest of the techno babble people spout about ships, droids, deflector shields, and battle stations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
Lucas, being immersed in Californian new-age mysticism by fact of that being where the money for film is, did not necessarily mean anything scientific rather than spiritual when he used the word "energy." Except insofar as California is a magical place where science, spirituality, and pure bullshit intermix freely.

Also people who don't want his microverse adventures are probably mistaken when they think they want to see, for example, Jodorowsky's Dune.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1177035662534545408

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That could be at least entertaining.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
You could argue that nothing is more Star Wars than missing the point:

Vader: The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

*is proven correct*

His team spends the next X films obsessing over the ability to destroy a planet.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hodgepodge posted:

Vader: The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

*is proven correct*

His team spends the next X films obsessing over the ability to destroy a planet.

well it's either build a big rear end superlaser or defeat the most powerful soldier in your army in single combat for the right to get trained/tortured by a gross old dude cuz no one else is gonna teach you

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

well it's either build a big rear end superlaser or defeat the most powerful soldier in your army in single combat for the right to get trained/tortured by a gross old dude cuz no one else is gonna teach you

but what about the inquisitors....

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

You mean he hasn't been?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

garycoleisgod posted:

Let’s face it: Quigon’s many, many errors are eclipsed by his gentle paternalism and caucasian features.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Oh man, surely those spoilers can’t be real? Then again that’s what I thought when I read spoilers for Avengers Endgame: “no way the movie is THAT stupid”. I was wrong.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hodgepodge posted:

*is proven correct*

Vader's just a henchman, he's not calling the shots. But the giant ships, huge walking robots and planet lasers is the Empire swinging it's huge space dick around letting everyone know not to gently caress with them

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vader was very much the Regional Manager that Auralnauts made him out to be.

He wasn’t a cog in the Empire. He existed outside of it as a Sith Lord who answered only to Emperor Saltines.

He was the bagman who had a license to kill.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

but what about the inquisitors....

As I recall they got butchered by Darth Maul in Rebels.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

You mean he hasn't been?

No they’ve been developed through lucasfilm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

Vader was very much the Regional Manager that Auralnauts made him out to be.

He wasn’t a cog in the Empire. He existed outside of it as a Sith Lord who answered only to Emperor Saltines.

He was the bagman who had a license to kill.

Vader was basically the Sith Lord version of the consultants from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 26, 2019