Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Redacted to the rest of Congress or to the public?

Earlier reporting said majority of complaint would not be redacted but that some sensitive information definitely exists and would be. Someone else posted about the possibility of the existence of a mole in a foreign government and that's looking more plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Jesus Christ this is going so fast. There's no way the White House is in control of any of this.

As a teaser, I guess:

https://twitter.com/CNNTonight/status/1177050913510264836

So it apparently does involve national security on some level, and Trump directly placing personal profit ahead of national interest to a world leader.

god he really did sell Ukraine down the river for direct personal gain didn't he

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Likely both. It may contain a mention of military tech, a spy, or hundreds of other things Trump possibly shouldn’t have been discussing, and they’ll likely redact any mentions of that. But the damning parts will likely remain in there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My dream is that part of the redacted transcript is Trump brought up doing something with Putin, like easing sanctions, if Ukraine didn’t play ball.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Booo, redactions

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Don't discount the chud vote. Remember Duncan Hunter was indicted for fraud and still won handily.

That's on top of any election "irregularities" that Trump's allies engineer, from voter suppression to the ridiculously open-to-manipulation voting machines that McConnell is dead set on keeping exploitable. Trump won last time with a 50-70,000 vote margin distributed over 4 key states. It's not beyond the pale to look at that with a jaundiced eye, especially given later antics in Georgia and other places.

Don't discount that the chuds can fall away from the poo poo smear as quickly as the house democrats turned to impeachment. Politics is odd. Chud's sudden love then distaste for GW was a thing to behold.

Also gently caress the chuds. They're 40% ATM. Too much, but not enough. gently caress the chuds.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

no way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Most likely nothing more than what's been reported so far. This seems more like an attempt to cover Trump's rear end than a sign that there's somehow more to the call.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah, to echo others, dems who read it immediately said that some parts were legitimately classified because sources/methods/etc, but that it could be easily redacted

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Doesn’t seem normal for something like this to be declassified so quickly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol forever at these stupid assholes who think Republicans are their friends

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Holy gently caress, he not only wanted dirt, he wanted official dirt on his crimes to disappear.

Its an endless loop of crimes

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ryde posted:

Doesn’t seem normal for something like this to be declassified so quickly.

im guessing once Dems in the house got their hands on it, their jaws collectively dropped, they went "holy gently caress", and immediately went to work on it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Seriously, if this poo poo pans out

quote:

The effort by President Trump to pressure the government of Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son had its origins in an earlier endeavor to obtain information that might provide a pretext and political cover for the president to pardon his former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, according to previously undisclosed records.

These records indicate that attorneys representing Trump and Manafort respectively had at least nine conversations relating to this effort, beginning in the early days of the Trump administration, and lasting until as recently as May of this year. Through these deliberations carried on by his attorneys, Manafort exhorted the White House to press Ukrainian officials to investigate and discredit individuals, both in the US and in Ukraine, who he believed had published damning information about his political consulting work in the Ukraine. :siren:A person who participated in the joint defense agreement between President Trump and others under investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, including Manafort, allowed me to review extensive handwritten notes that memorialized conversations relating to Manafort and Ukraine between Manafort’s and Trump’s legal teams, including Trump’s personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani.:siren:

quote:

The records I have reviewed also indicate that on at least three occasions, Rudy Giuliani was in communication with Manafort’s legal team to discuss how the White House was pushing a narrative that the Democratic National Committee, Democratic donors, and Ukrainian government officials had “colluded” to defeat Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential bid. (This story has since been debunked as baseless, though that has not prevented Trump, Giuliani, and other surrogates in conservative media from repeatedly pushing the story.)

In particular, the records show that Manafort’s camp provided Giuliani with information designed to smear two people: one was a Ukrainian journalist and political activist named Serhiy Leshchenko, whom Manafort believed, correctly, of helping to uncover Manafort’s secret payments from Yanukovych; another was Alexandra Chalupa, a Ukrainian-American political consultant and US citizen, whom Manafort suspected, mistakenly in this case, was also behind the exposé. The records also show that Giuliani and attorneys for Manafort exchanged information about the then US ambassador to the Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, who Giuliani believed had attempted to undercut his covert Ukrainian diplomacy and fact-finding; the records are unclear as to whether it was Giuliani or Manafort’s attorney who first initiated their discussion about her.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 26, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
To be fair, Rep Stewart that tweeted “I encourage you all to read it” is a lovely Republican that is trying to spin it as a nothingburger.

https://twitter.com/repchrisstewart/status/1177017999603228672?s=21

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES CRIMES

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How the hell did Manafort's lawyers think this path was a good idea.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mahoning posted:

To be fair, Rep Stewart that tweeted “I encourage you all to read it” is a lovely Republican that is trying to spin it as a nothingburger.

"this alone"

This is pretty much straight-up admitting that it's real bad, he's just too much of a coward to impeach.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mahoning posted:

Okay, so it's probably this Manafort thing, and he's guessing the public is going to yawn and go "god not Manafort again" without realizing that Trump escalating it with the withholding of military aid takes the whole thing to a new and damning level that is immediately actionable.

Frankly I hope it isn't worse.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Part of me was fighting the idea that it could be true, to protect myself, but the mattering does appear to have finally occurred. Unfortunate that Trump had to commit super double crimes for it to get across to the majority of our dumb country that he is a criminal. Also a shame that most of the other criminals will continue to serve in the government.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I hate Lindsey Graham and I hate his stupid fried chicken voice.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Dem reps reporting on the complaint have already emphasized that it is detailed, explosive and offers avenues of follow-up/witnesses to be called out. It's interesting he's trying to spin it as no one will follow up on anything!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FizFashizzle posted:

it'll leak in the next fifteen minutes.

So will I

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Either leak right now or in 9 hours because I want to go to sleep.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Super-Id posted:

Part of me was fighting the idea that it could be true, to protect myself, but the mattering does appear to have finally occurred. Unfortunate that Trump had to commit super double crimes for it to get across to the majority of our dumb country that he is a criminal. Also a shame that most of the other criminals will continue to serve in the government.

same. i think even if the senate doesn't convict, i think he is hosed. this gonna be months of this poo poo and god knows what else is dug up.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol, how can it get less structured?

https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/1177051872399675395

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Trump, Giuliani, and Manafort, They're Magically Delicious!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Either leak right now or in 9 hours because I want to go to sleep.

Its going to leak the moment we go to bed so you better keep f5ing just in case.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ham posted:

Dem reps reporting on the complaint have already emphasized that it is detailed, explosive and offers avenues of follow-up/witnesses to be called out. It's interesting he's trying to spin it as no one will follow up on anything!

I think he might have left himself some wiggle room - he only said declassified, not unredacted!

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

The Super-Id posted:

Temper your expectations a bit. Most of the country has no idea and no interest in what’s going on other than “Trump good” or “trump bad”. It’s going to take weeks of negative media tone to sway things

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"this alone"

This is pretty much straight-up admitting that it's real bad, he's just too much of a coward to impeach.

he is a house GOP rep. most of those assholes were trump chuds before trump was a thing. that being said. if someone like him is hitting its bad, its real bad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1177055954204053505?s=21

Even members of Congress are like, WHAT THE gently caress, IT’S DECLASSIFIED?!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The building might literally fall down.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Remember how unhinged he was 2 weeks ago after getting corrected by the Alabama Weather Service that he likely had multiple people commit crimes so he wouldn't feel so bad?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SpaceDrake posted:

Frankly I hope it isn't worse.

Don't lie on the internet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

idk. possibly bad vengence based poo poo. most of it wouldnt be carried out but who the gently caress knows.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This is pretty much why this story has legs the Russian Affair didn't. Not hard to wrap your head around if you can literally stick it in a Mafia movie.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Reminder that anyone who has a grudge against Trump is going to see this as the opportunity to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is a house GOP rep. most of those assholes were trump chuds before trump was a thing. that being said. if someone like him is hitting its bad, its real bad.
Oh I know he's a Republican and he'll never vote to impeach. Doesn't make him any less of a coward.