Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think some of the gulf states beat us but oil refining is cheating tbh

e: as of the latest figures, we're 8th behind titans of industry like kuwait, brunei, qatar, belize, oman, and bahrain. we're ahead of the uae, saudi arabia, and both canada and the us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also if you add up all the countries that emit "only" 2% or less you have something like 30% of global emissions. Bump it up to 5% and you get somewhere around half.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Morrison and all of his supporters know he's arguing in bad faith. They don't care.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Venomous posted:

the British public is consistently wrong about everything, hence why 52% of the British public voted for Brexit, because we all have such horrible media literacy that we believe anything that's written on a bus, even when it's not true

Yeah about that, we’re really sorry about Murdoch but in our defence your gullibility really made him his dough

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The most insightful thing I've read about the conservative attitude toward climate change is that some time in the near future they will seamlessly transition from climate "skepticism" to climate fascism as the crisis really ramps up.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Amethyst posted:

The most insightful thing I've read about the conservative attitude toward climate change is that some time in the near future they will seamlessly transition from climate "skepticism" to climate fascism as the crisis really ramps up.

It's already happening. It was in the Christchurch shooter's manifesto. It will be mainstream soon.
What is the history of capitalism and colonialism but creating and maintaining a division between the first world and the third? We've had centuries of training in how not to give a poo poo when people outside our borders die.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

What a hill to die on

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah I mean, Scott Morrison's open lies are already based on western supremacy, really. "Yes, we are burning more resources. We deserve them, you don't."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

norp posted:

What a hill to die on
the sad thing is he isn't dying on it

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Amethyst posted:

Yeah I mean, Scott Morrison's open lies are already based on western supremacy, really. "Yes, we are burning more resources. We deserve them, you don't."

Not to mention that western nations have outsourced their manufacturing to "developing nations" like China so that they take the blame for those emissions. And then at the same time Australia's economy is heavily dependent on exporting resources to China. Love that neo-colonial mindset.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/26/peter-dutton-cannabis-christian-porter-challenge-act-law-legalise-drugs

Lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ungulateman posted:

i think some of the gulf states beat us but oil refining is cheating tbh

e: as of the latest figures, we're 8th behind titans of industry like kuwait, brunei, qatar, belize, oman, and bahrain. we're ahead of the uae, saudi arabia, and both canada and the us.

Sort by per capita if you want to reclaim the title.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

the sad thing is he isn't dying on it

What a hill to be hunted down and killed on.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Amethyst posted:

liberals are entirely comfortable with ecofascism btw, the psychological preparation of populations in rich countries for this poo poo has already begun

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Which part of s51 do dank nugs fall under?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ALP petition to increase Newstart

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

liberals are entirely comfortable with ecofascism btw, the psychological preparation of populations in rich countries for this poo poo has already begun

My sister's fiance was saying a while back that climate change was real but it'd "primarily affect people in developing nations" and it's not like we could make much of a difference.

It's so... Defeatist. And deluded - even if Australia mysteriously remains relatively stable (it won't), do they seriously think people are going to stay put and die quietly once their home country becomes completely uninhabitable? They'll move.

Countries have gone to war over far less, I can totally see the intersection of crop failures and equatorial countries becoming uninhabitable for some of the year causing world war 3.

I mean, I feel like a crank for saying it, but I don't think I'm wrong.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Australia will be fine, we're a island nation isolated from everyone. Plus it's not like the public is averse to loving over refugees attempting to come here by boat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Australia will be fine if you ignore bushfires, droughts, floods and cyclones.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

lack of resources from being so isolated, food and medical insecurity

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

thatfatkid posted:

Australia will be fine, we're a island nation isolated from everyone. Plus it's not like the public is averse to loving over refugees attempting to come here by boat.

Apart from the towns running out of water and places burning down in winter with summer style ferocity

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Australia will be fine, assuming cotton is edible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Personally i think the Dustbowl was a climate science hoax too.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Liberals on Weed: "unconscionable!"
Liberals on child molestation: "well hold on a minute it's complicated"

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

bowmore posted:

lack of resources from being so isolated, food and medical insecurity

what resources does australia lack? genuine question btw

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Sure the temperature will rise but think of all the breathable fabrics we'll be able to wear! We'll be the envy of the world.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

thatfatkid posted:

what resources does australia lack? genuine question btw

Morality.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yeah about that, we’re really sorry about Murdoch but in our defence your gullibility really made him his dough

fair tbh, even though he's History's Greatest Monster and the world would be an objectively better place if he'd never existed, I really can't blame him for grifting us so easily

on that note, it's always a good time to share Fry and Laurie's parody of It's A Wonderful Life about Rupert Murdoch https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xflqt2

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

cohsae posted:

Sure the temperature will rise but think of all the breathable fabrics we'll be able to wear! We'll be the envy of the world.

dont forget all the coal and iron we can eat

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

cohsae posted:

Australia will be fine, assuming cotton is edible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcx-bSyJpYk

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's like you haven't seen mad max.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also if you add up all the countries that emit "only" 2% or less you have something like 30% of global emissions. Bump it up to 5% and you get somewhere around half.

Also, there are almost 200 countries in the world, so any one country with more than 0.5% emissions is already over-represented.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

just like banjo intended

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

https://twitter.com/annastaciamp/status/1177057218966876160

AAAAHHHHHH
Climate change is real but we will be opening Adani and if you could go ahead and never protest anywhere or anytime that would be great.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Not as funny as Biden tweeting this

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1176658394519916544

While everyone's finding out he installed his crackhead son to head a crooked gas conglomerate in the Ukraine

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Morgan Freeman’s character in Olympus Has Fallen is Trumbull, and I’m pretty sure that’s where Trump got confused with Malcolm Turnbull’s name :psyduck:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1175192443488096258

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
(Laughter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish George was in charge again tbh he seemed nice on a personal level