Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thanks as always for a good set of levels everyone.

Glad you liked Plumber's Delight, but you were correct. You missed some stuff bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I made another thing, this time going for a bit of an on-off gimmick in smb1 forest night theme. Also some giant mario maneuvers on precarious platforms. I also hid a star in the level :v:

MPV-S9K-7QF Dirty River Rafting - Ride some bill blasters down the poisonous river, avoiding the cheep cheeps that live there. Use on/off blocks to proceed!
...But you can't help but feel like you're being watched...

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Got another level hot off the presses. Check it out!

Spirit Spire - P6B-L0X-4HF

I've got a week and a half without a reliable internet connection coming up so I filled my downloaded cache with levels from Random Acts of Mario. Preemptive thanks to you goons for occupying my evenings!

Since I got around to it, I might as well post the thumbnails for my other levels. Give them a try if you haven't.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

why did i have to get this

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

Live Free posted:

why did i have to get this

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Miiverse how I miss you.

Anyway, someone (one of you?) pointed out it was pretty easy to cheese Plumber's Delight so I changed that. The new code is F20-TJH-FNG.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Miiverse how I miss you.

Anyway, someone (one of you?) pointed out it was pretty easy to cheese Plumber's Delight so I changed that. The new code is F20-TJH-FNG.

You can still cheese it if you take a bomb through the next two rooms and blow up the floor, then you’re in the boo pipe room. I kinda like it though, feels like a nintendo style secret where you get a shortcut for using brain meats

tonberi fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 22, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
After numerous "erase the whole level" uses, I've finally got an MSS course close to finished :toot:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Starting to find myself in a constant state of stuckness with my levels. Just kinda run out of steam. Do y'all do any sort of level planning or just kinda wing it? I feel like story boarding my levels might help.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I've spent at least three hours trying to clearcheck my [ ! ] block wall jumping level. I've made it to the [only] checkpoint thrice. I can do all the jumps independently, but stringing them together... :bang:

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Starting to find myself in a constant state of stuckness with my levels. Just kinda run out of steam. Do y'all do any sort of level planning or just kinda wing it? I feel like story boarding my levels might help.

I generally pick an element I haven't used yet (Moon themes, clown copter, etc), and then goof off with interesting combinations for a while. I make notes on what's fun (some mental, some written), and find ways to build puzzles and challenges with that. Once you mix in a few "breather" areas with power-ups and check-points, you should have close to a complete level.

Winging it presents a lot of traps. It's harder to escalate the difficulty, and it can lead to too much creep with additional stage elements. To your point, it's also easier to run out of steam, since you have an unplanned and seemingly insurmountable task ahead of you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

May Contain Nuts posted:

I've spent at least three hours trying to clearcheck my [ ! ] block wall jumping level. I've made it to the [only] checkpoint thrice. I can do all the jumps independently, but stringing them together... :bang:

You do have complete control of your own level's difficulty

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Macaluso posted:

You do have complete control of your own level's difficulty

Well, yeah. I'm just getting frustrated because I know I can do it. And I have done it. I just can't do it now that it counts.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

dog nougat posted:

I just pick a (Mario 3) theme and run with it. Sometimes I have a brief pitch in my head, like I mentioned, but usually I just pound the dents out of it until it looks good.

E: Also I have Literally Dozens of levels in various stages of completion so if I get stuck I just go work on another one.

Gnome Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 23, 2019

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

dog nougat posted:

Coming up with a gimmick or a "story" to tell really helps. Hating what you make and redoing it over and over helps too.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Thread geniuses:

How can I ensure a vine will come out the bottom of a block? A bouncy block works, but the setup is stage is scrolling down and I want the player to climb down a vine as the stage moves downwards and the vine moves back and forth on a track. How can I ensure the player hits the block so the vine comes out the bottom, if said block is moving back and forth on a small track?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

Thread geniuses:

How can I ensure a vine will come out the bottom of a block? A bouncy block works, but the setup is stage is scrolling down and I want the player to climb down a vine as the stage moves downwards and the vine moves back and forth on a track. How can I ensure the player hits the block so the vine comes out the bottom, if said block is moving back and forth on a small track?

I have a level where I rely on a thwomp on a parallel track to hit the block containing the vine. For Mario to hit it you'd probably need to have him do a ground pound on it or something.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Calico Heart posted:

Thread geniuses:

(Assuming a level horizontal track) put one-ways under the track so you can't jump up into it.

Or ensure that something drops onto it. Almost anything will activate a note block. Although I'm not sure if the interaction still works if the block is on a track.

May Contain Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 24, 2019

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Thwomp or ground pound to get a downwards vine on a rail (so thwomp only if playing in a non-ground-pound mode). You can't just block off the top of the question mark block like you can when it's static because of the different clipping properties of objects on a rail.

Sample setup (apologies for the terrible pic quality):

The switch block is only necessary if you want to drop the moving vine onto a more complicated track layout - if it's just a horizontal back-and-forwards you can omit the switch block and track splitter entirely.

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 24, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alright, finally got my MSS stage done:

I wish the description in game could be longer. You have to infiltrate the Invader's mine on the nearby asteroid belt. You need to open the back gate and supplies will be beamed down. Beam in and beam out. Avoid their security defenses

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So I've fallen behind since my last post but still wanted to take part in the goon world, so...

MSS: Asteroid Processing Plant
MRT-TBH-T0H

Also made a couple other stages in the interim though I think they're kind of crappy

Another Bowser boss rush but in Mario World this time and much more difficult and probably worse. The fastest clear is 13 minutes.
Bowser World Fights are Okay
7F7-RT1-SVF

I kept loving up the space stage because I kept having to make it like a bit from Illusion of Gaia because I replayed it recently, so instead of screwing up a concept for MSS I just spun it out into it's own thing. I don't know how recognizable it is from the game but I'm proud of the thumbnail at least.
IoG: Dark Gaia
9JJ-C3W-7YF

I do want to come back and play stages I've missed but also my playing of other games dropped off a cliff once this released and I needed to play something else.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I made something for Mario Solar System! Cooperate with a Koopa to destroy the alien machine converting his people into Dry Bones in:

MSS: Conversion Core Crisis
71R-QF2-4HG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

As always, planning on streaming tonight at 6 PM PDT/9 PM EDT

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Level list for tonight:

1. Beneath the Behemoth
By: Too Shy Guy 125-G8G-3YG

2. Dirty River Rafting
By: Tonberi YNW-J6K-WRF

3. Bowser World Fights are Okay
By: Phantasium 7F7-RT1-SVF

4. Spirit Spire
By: Hardcordion P6B-L0X-4HF

5. IoG: Dark Gaia
By: Phantasium 9JJ-C3W-7YF

6. Spin Zone
By: Live Ammo Cosplay KVC-3HD-K5G

7. MSS: Asteroid Processing Plant
By: Phantasium MRT-TBH-T0H

8. MSS: Conversion Core Crisis
By: Suspicious Cook 71R-QF2-4HG

9. MSS: Asteroid Mine Mission
By: Macaluso RWD-NYJ-TMG

I'll throw in some Random Acts of Mario as well, but I'm not in a good position to pull levels for that right now. If you have any other levels you wish for me to play tonight, feel free to post them!

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 24, 2019

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

All of the recently posted levels, especially MSS ones, have been really cool and clever! Thanks for the great stages, everyone!

Updated my latest thing to make it a little more obvious and maybe better?
YNW-J6K-WRF - Dirty River Rafting
Ride the bill blaster raft through the dirty river while avoiding the cheep cheeps and hitting on/off blocks to proceed. Some giant mushroom platforming, too!

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

Magma Moat - WTQ--0S4-2WF - As so often happens, people aren't very good at this one. I just wanted to use this theme at least once. Wish there were more customization options, Nintendo.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some goon levels!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And stream complete! Thanks to everyone who submitted levels and joined me tonight.

Link to vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/486025993

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I made a stage for Mario Solar System, but I'd like to know if it'd be a good fit. It's supposed to be like a first or second stage, where Mario takes a rocketship to space to counter the invasion. I concentrated on the rocket ride, so it's more novelty and set dressing than actual Mario platforming. Is that OK for this world?

MSS: Blastoff!
1B7-CWB-DLF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

OneMoreTime discovered several places where you can break the visual illusions on my level so I'm gonna end up taking my MSS stage down and redoing it

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I traded my 3do and games for a switch and games, and like the WiiU before it I've done nothing but Mario maker. I can't bring myself to play anything but vs. it's so fun heckin up kids (I'm usually the one being hecked, but I'm just laughing the whole time). I still need a controller, the joycons are killing my thumb. But I ordered an 8bitdo adaptor to use a PS4 controller it's just a waiting game now. I'm debating getting one of the Official SNES Switch Controllers, has anyone tried them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RodShaft posted:

I traded my 3do and games for a switch and games,

??

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Yeah it was a sad day but I literally only played it the day I got it then displayed it for half a decade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RodShaft posted:

I'm debating getting one of the Official SNES Switch Controllers, has anyone tried them?

They just starting shipping. Mine should be here in a few says so I’ll post impressions. Mario Maker was a big factor in buying it for me.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Here's tonight's level list, as always I'll be streaming at 6 pm PDT/9 PM EDT!

Levels to be played:

1. Magma Moat
By: Gnome Enthusiast WTQ-0S4-2WF

2. MSS: Blastoff!
By: Last Visible Dog 1B7-CWB-DLF

=Random Acts of Mario=

3. #393 Timepod: Cold Past, Bleak Future
By: Rather Watch Them BHD-JWX-WJF

4. #774 SMV 2-3: Crystal Crevasse
By: DarkLich XBW-KXL-MVF

5. #690 Who Built These Tracks!?
By: nrook LP1-BKP-9GF

6. #351 Snoopy (1984)(Radarsoft)
By: absolutely anything JPH-764-0DG

7. #927 Mskool101T: Elementary Testing
By: Defenestrategy T2X-TR8-22

8. #637 Ruined Laboratory
By: Woozy DB9-JM5-07G

9. #178 Let's Twist Again
By: E.G.G.S. HDK-85T-CRG

10. #16 Factory Spillage
By: found sound 8PK-WDN-Y0G

11. #245 Mushroom Kingdom Prison
By: Pakled K5W-HF0-G5G

12. #615 Galoombas Galore
By: Techokami QFJ-GBM-HNF

13. #1038 Super Comfy World: Air Adventure
By: Defenestrategy 22V-17P-GJF

14. #108 Airship Panic
By: The Lobster MX8-NYN-R5G

15. #998 A Spooky Maze
By: Crass Casualty GQ7-L65-D0H

16. #865 Hellfire Honeycombs
By: Internet Kraken 5J6-LGK-PQF

17. #891 A Chilling Experience
By: DrPepper R9V-4VH-H1G

18. #540 Pantomania
By: Algebra testes BKY-47P-91G

19. #233 Airship Rumble!
By: Chronojam PK6-XLJ-4BG

20. #769 Big Boo's Bargain Books
By: Hover SLS-WTT-WDG

SeANMcBAY posted:

They just starting shipping. Mine should be here in a few says so I’ll post impressions. Mario Maker was a big factor in buying it for me.

I'll be interested in seeing how those are. I've been using 8bitdo's SNES style controllers for awhile and those D-pads are pretty good, and I've been wondering how Nintendo's will stack up.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I threw together another thing I'd been thinking about for a while, and maybe stole an idea or two from the thread:

1V3-K3R-S1G Wobbly Vine Ascension
Climb up into the clouds and find the hidden castle! Blocks on tracks with vines, hang on tight and dodge the obstacles! Reworked a bit and added another checkpoint and section at the end.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 27, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OneMoreTime posted:

I'll be interested in seeing how those are. I've been using 8bitdo's SNES style controllers for awhile and those D-pads are pretty good, and I've been wondering how Nintendo's will stack up.

Someone in the Switch thread got theirs and says the dpad and buttons feel better than the 8bitdos so I’m excited to jump back into this game once it comes.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in ten minutes with some goon levels!

EDIT: And it's over! Thanks everyone for joining us today!

Link to vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/486849155

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 27, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My backlog of games is laid to rest for now outside of a few things here and there so trying to get back into actually doing stuff with this game. I feel like I just make classic no gimmick levels but honestly it's just what I enjoy :shobon:

I think this is a fine "midgame" type difficulty stage if it were in a actual game, so it's not meant to wrack up kills or anything- and there are a handful of 1-ups and big coins to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I've played through all the MSS levels. Everything is looking great, I'll assemble a playlist tomorrow.