Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Picked up the Chibson Black Beauty today

Wonky diamond, wonky truss rod cover that appears to have been chewed to shape by some kind of rodent

Wonky control cavity cover

Plays good, needs strings and a setup. I will likely change out the electronics down the road. It's got the tiny pots and weird switching, neither of which is good in my opinion. Neck position on the switch is neck and middle, middle on the switch is all three, and the bridge is just the bridge. Pickups are also pretty microphonic, but sound okay. I'll see if they're branded when I change strings, but I imagine they're generic Chinese ones.

Fretboard appears to be rosewood, dyed to look like ebony, and some of it is worn off already. Going to bet it rubs off when I oil the fretboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It's pretty smart how Gibson's custom shop logo is pretty bland, yet so difficult to properly align that the appropriate tooling and jigging needed to do it prices it out of the chibson range.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Went to the L&M Attic Sale yesterday morning. I was hoping to pick up a pair of CDJ2000Nexus, they had a few of them at a loving great price ($999, which is like more than half off). Unfortunately I slept in - should have just stayed up and gotten in line at like 2:30AM like some of the hardcore patrons - and didn't get there until 8:30. I was in line for three hours, made some new friends, chatted music and passed around some green. Once I finally got inside, unfortunately the last of the Nexus models were sold, but since I'm not walking out of there empty-handed I sprung the extra cash (still a steal at $1800 but not nearly as good a deal) for the CDJ2000NXS2 models. Now I have to sell my legacy 2000s.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Celestion V30 in a box, gift from a friend. Much bedroom riffing shall be had.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And some more stupid purchases

Some kind of 80's pocket headphone amp with totally tubular 80's headphones and a not-shown coiled instrument cable that over course doesn't work for poo poo. About the size of a pack of smokes, runs off a 9 volt, and still works. Treble, bass, and volume controls, way too loud over about three with a set of decent headphones. Also has an "output" jack, but I need to dig up the 1/8" to 1/4" cable I know I have to see if I can run it into an amp. Seems like it might make a lovely fuzz with the volume cranked.

And a Glen Burton US Flag LP, because it was $59 shipped to my door and the one I already have needed a friend.

This one is a bit more beat up with a cracked knob, cracked selector switch tip, smashed in strap button, and two sizeable dings on the edge of the back of the body. Still, $59 for a set neck LP copy is a no brainer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Man people throw away the strangest poo poo sometimes.

Found it in a dumpster.
It looks top be in excellent shape mechanically.
I haven't had a chance to get it plugged in and fired up to see if anything is wrong electronically yet. Hopefully it's just something stupid and easy if anything is in fact wrong like a broken solder joint or bad fuse.

I might make a thread about the inspection and restoration process (if any is needed)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dude what the fuuuuuck?! You are fortunate and a hero for rescuing that.

edit: holy poo poo that thing sounds like an Arp Solina.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I looked up videos of it last night after I got home and it sounds so awesome.
Haven't really had a chance to dig into it other than checking the fuse which is blown I'll pick a new one up tomorrow when I'm out and see what's what.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

That Elka is a loving gem god drat.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thumpo, I think I speak for everyone here that you need to whoop that Elka back into shape. :colbert:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Man people throw away the strangest poo poo sometimes.

Found it in a dumpster.
It looks top be in excellent shape mechanically.
I haven't had a chance to get it plugged in and fired up to see if anything is wrong electronically yet. Hopefully it's just something stupid and easy if anything is in fact wrong like a broken solder joint or bad fuse.

I might make a thread about the inspection and restoration process (if any is needed)

That’s loving awesome

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Made a project thread over in DIY.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899795&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I celebrated finally getting rid of the PMI on my mortgage by buying a guitar that only costs slightly more than my old monthly payment.

Its a Firefly FF338, $150 from Amazon. I wanted the walnut/brown stain, but this was in stock and I was going to be home for the delivery window so I went for it. Only had a few minutes to mess with it and its pretty good for the price. Haven't tried adjusting the truss rod yet, but I was able to drop the bridge to get the action somewhat acceptable. However with its price there are some issues:

Hard to make out, but somebody went to town on the end of that last fret. Its flattened out and some finish has been taken off.

The fret end doesn't bother me because its not somewhere that matters to me, but I am going to see that misaligned 12th fret marker every time I look down at it, so it may be going back :-/

It feels good to play though, and projects sound well enough to keep in the living room to be able to play without having to always plug in.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You mortgage payment was less than a Firefly??? :eyepop:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Snowy posted:

The PMI difference, I think. Payments are now $150 less.

edit: I hope, because drat.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

the pmi, it's the insurance on top of your mortgage you have to pay if your down payment is below like 20% and you don't qualify for an fha loan

DrChu
May 14, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

The PMI difference, I think. Payments are now $150 less.

edit: I hope, because drat.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the pmi, it's the insurance on top of your mortgage you have to pay if your down payment is below like 20% and you don't qualify for an fha loan

These are correct, I worded it poorly in my post. My actual mortgage payment is closer to a MIA Fender a month than a Firefly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ah duh my bad. I’m just getting a mortgage now and was very jealous of low payments. :downs:

Enjoy the Firefly!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm about half a year away from being able to drop my PMI. Mines only $75 tho.

Mebbe I'll get a pedal.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I would like to take this opportunity to say "gently caress PMI", just another scam in the housing market.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrSargent posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to say "gently caress PMI", just another scam in the housing market.

:emptyquote:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

MrSargent posted:

loving amen to that! Reminds me that I have to check in and find out when I can stop paying that bullshit.

Erm...guitar related:
I just bought a set of 11-52 Daddario NYXL strings as part of a setup/repair. Pickup selector on my G&L poo poo the bed, so had to take it in. Got a setup while I was in there, since I've been playing more in drop C, and the tech suggested a heavier gauge. Now just have to wait a week. :(

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

betterinsodapop posted:

loving amen to that! Reminds me that I have to check in and find out when I can stop paying that bullshit.

Erm...guitar related:
I just bought a set of 11-52 Daddario NYXL strings as part of a setup/repair. Pickup selector on my G&L poo poo the bed, so had to take it in. Got a setup while I was in there, since I've been playing more in drop C, and the tech suggested a heavier gauge. Now just have to wait a week. :(

gently caress that. Type O Negative played down in B standard and Kenny Hickey went with like 10s or something. Half the fun is just letting 'em flop around and go slightly out of tune if you whack 'em hard enough.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rickiep00h posted:

gently caress that. Type O Negative played down in B standard and Kenny Hickey went with like 10s or something. Half the fun is just letting 'em flop around and go slightly out of tune if you whack 'em hard enough.

He also plays a near-baritone scale length of 26.5", a full inch longer than Fender and , of course, an inch and three quarters longer than a Gibson.

:dong:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The other guitar player on my death metal band uses like 11-49 on a 27 inch scale for standard B and that sorta works for him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

11-49 my go to for C/C#

Mostly C# though because if you claim to need lower notes than that to be heavy then tell it to Black Sabbath and Bolt Thrower :colbert:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Guitar is a Fender scale length, and the strings were indeed floppy in drop C. I didn't enjoy it. :dong: , but cool if some other folks do.

Just really looking forward to getting it back with a working pickup switch!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

11-49 my go to for C/C#

Mostly C# though because if you claim to need lower notes than that to be heavy then tell it to Black Sabbath and Bolt Thrower :colbert:

Talk that poo poo walkin’, bub! :argh:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I'm intrigued... :biglips:
What is the consensus on the NYXLs? This will be my first set. They are considerably more expensive than the regular rear end D'Addarios I've been using for years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

betterinsodapop posted:

I'm intrigued... :biglips:
What is the consensus on the NYXLs? This will be my first set. They are considerably more expensive than the regular rear end D'Addarios I've been using for years.

They’re very well worth it. The price ends up being cheaper for me because they last so long and never go dead like other strings. Check out their XT strings too. I never like coated strings but I have some on my Strat now and they’re great.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Okay fiiiiiiiine :D

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was skeptical of them but I tried em and bah gawd they’re amazing. They last forever, too.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I was skeptical of them but I tried em and bah gawd they’re amazing. They last forever, too.
Generally, if Bhabhi says it, I believe it. So I'm pretty excited.
Also, I like supporting local companies, and D'Addario is a 20 min drive from my house!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Them's what I use for Open C tuning as well.

I actually prefer the normal D'addarios. But I acknowledge they don't last very long. If I'm not recording or gigging though, I tend to not give a gently caress.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I traded in my CV 50s tele that was sitting in the closet unused, and picked up a compressor I exchange.

I’m super happy with it - a bit of 2:1 compression and a bit of a clean volume boost has made all my clean playing sound bigger. It plays really well with my OD/Distortion pedals in front of it. Plus the VU meter just looks really cool.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
drat near absolutely sure that I don’t need this, but half price day at the thrift store makes my wallet ache.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dewgy posted:

drat near absolutely sure that I don’t need this, but half price day at the thrift store makes my wallet ache.

At least you find interesting instruments at your thrift store? Most of the time I see dented trumpets and awfully old clarinets.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The only instrument I ever see in thrift stores is a yamaha student classical guitar with the high E string missing.

I swear they share it around between shops.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Pics incoming later, but I just bought a couple new pedals:

This guy to help tame my FX loops and add EQ fun (hopefully)

And this guy because it just seems like a lot of fun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

The only instrument I ever see in thrift stores is a yamaha student classical guitar with the high E string missing.

I swear they share it around between shops.

It actually exists in multiple places simultaneously. Unfortunately for physicists, if anyone actually buys it, the waveform collapses and it loses all its special properties until sold back to a thrift store or pawn shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This one is a ball and a half, even! If you have an expression or volume pedal (I think it works with both?) you can even use it like in a similar manner to a digitech whammy.