Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

empty whippet box posted:

kinda feel like I'm gonna wake up tomorrow morning and this thread will have 12000 new posts.

This is every day except most of the posts are banal fanfiction or petty squabbling and I just hit last post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

smoobles posted:

This feels like another ah well nevertheless moment. Is there a good writeup on why this is worse than everything he's done so far?

It's not that it's worse, it's that the Dems are more mobilised than they've been previously and it's far more straightforward (both in terms of what he did and what evidence there is) than the Mueller / Russia stuff.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not that it's worse, it's that the Dems are more mobilised than they've been previously and it's far more straightforward (both in terms of what he did and what evidence there is) than the Mueller / Russia stuff.

This is also happening in real time as opposed to learning about it 12-18 months after the fact

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Lycus posted:

But really, is there actually a point to McConnell doing this? Just have the trial and have the Republicans vote to acquit. Unless McConnell expects a mass defection.

He's likely commited crimes himself and wants to paint the whole thing as partisan as a defense - it's a pretty classic GOP move.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If he stonewalls it then the Dems can use the "Not exonerated" angle, which hasnt gained a lot of traction so far but if you keep piling more stuff on that whilst pointing at McConnell it makes him feel more and more powerless

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
The declassified complaint probably has to be out in the next three hours, right?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Another huge factor is that he 100% doesn't understand what the problem is and in Jr. like fashion is admitting to the crime on TV and publishing damning documents that he thinks clears him of wrong doing.

At least he kind of understood the charges of Russian collusion and thus could defend against them somewhat effectively. He clearly doesn't get what this impeachment is really about.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Another huge factor is that he 100% doesn't understand what the problem is and in Jr. like fashion is admitting to the crime on TV and publishing damning documents that he thinks clears him of wrong doing.

At least he kind of understood the charges of Russian collusion and thus could defend against them somewhat effectively. He clearly doesn't get what this impeachment is really about.

This is underlined by his descriptions of the conversation: “it was a perfect phone call”, what the gently caress does that even mean?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

This is underlined by his descriptions of the conversation: “it was a perfect phone call”, what the duck does that even mean?

At one point, he called some one, talked to them, then hung up, perfect! He didn't even literally poo poo his pants! Well, that last bit is unknown at this time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Do you think that making Trump's life an inescapable hell will reach point that he just says gently caress this and resigns?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you think that making Trump's life an inescapable hell will reach point that he just says gently caress this and resigns?

Probably not, but I see making him unhappy an end unto itself at this point regardless.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nah. Trump is a grievance-fueled, hateful moron who will never give up at being cruel. The only reason the gently caress ran for president was because Obama teased him over the birtherism thing, and Trump made it his life’s goal to destroy Obama’s legacy. It’s why his plans for “fixing” half the poo poo in the US is just getting rid of legislation and just letting things wither on the vine and die.

Michelle Obama wanted school lunch programs to serve healthier meals and breakfast, Trump is literally suggesting that poor kids don’t eat.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

This is underlined by his descriptions of the conversation: “it was a perfect phone call”, what the gently caress does that even mean?

Zelensky did a lot of sucking up, so of course Trump was happy with the call.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No, but it will probably produce funny whiny tweets in the middle of the morning while he watches Fox News.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lycus posted:

But really, is there actually a point to McConnell doing this? Just have the trial and have the Republicans vote to acquit. Unless McConnell expects a mass defection.

this is literally all he's going to need to do to satisfy nearly all Republican voters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rabble posted:

Edit: this is even MORE plausible if you assume that in Trump’s mind, anything related to Russia has already been litigated and he’s been cleared. “Well I didn’t get in trouble the last time I did something like this”. He has no ability to differentiate prior bad acts from current bad acts.

he lacks the capacity to understand the concept of "bad acts." There's just stuff he and his allies do, which is great, perfect, amazing, and stuff his enemies do, which is the worst, you can't believe how bad it is.

He has no external moral compass or scale against which he could measure the goodness or badness of an act. All he has is team identification.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I don't think it's impossible because he seems very much like the kind of kid who will take his ball and go home. He'll spend the rest of his days still tweeting about how unfair life is and how everyone mistreated him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

He has spent his life surrounded by rear end kissers and back patters. A large portion of Fox News' programming is dedicated to talking directly to him, telling him he did real good at Thing X. It is very likely that after that phone call his direct aides actually patted him on the back and said "Good job Mr. President, that was a perfect phone call"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177177706729017344

:wtc:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Anyone doing the nothing matters, please explain to me how a 550 million dollar aid for blackmail deal with a clear paper trail that trump and giuliani more or less conducted openly is comparable at all to any of the previous poo poo.

Also the whistleblower report is apparently extremely well documented and contains a sizable list of people who can corroborate

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lol called it

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

i am harry posted:

Conservatives across the globe continue to fall for the “power stance” poo poo.

what is the "power stance" poo poo. I must have missed it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WTF?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1177069620886421506
https://mobile.twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1177071666620456961

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I thought "nothing matters" posting was grounds for probation nowadays? Or was that just during the Mueller stuff

Also apologies if this is classed as back seat modding, if it is ill remove it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

who is her father?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Jesus what a day... USPOL Fall: of the House of Trump

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Anyone doing the nothing matters, please explain to me how a 550 million dollar aid for blackmail deal with a clear paper trail that trump and giuliani more or less conducted openly is comparable at all to any of the previous poo poo.

Also the whistleblower report is apparently extremely well documented and contains a sizable list of people who can corroborate

Eh, part of the reason this story has traction is that it's part and parcel of the ongoing Russian collusion narrative.

I've never been a "nothing matters" guy at all, far from it, but to an extent this story matters because of *when* it's happening, as much as the semantic content. There's been a steady drip of House members announcing they'll support impeachment one by one for months now, this just happened to be the scandal that pushed a critical mass of them over the line. We'd have gotten there sooner or later from one scandal or another. In a sense everything has mattered.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I think this matters and is the best line for impeachment, but in the end, facts themselves don’t matter, solidness itself doesn’t matter, paper trail and corroboration themselves doesn’t matter; all that matters is whether enough of the American public gives a poo poo. All of those things might help, but the fact that Trump did something that most people can immediately get as “wrong” may have more to do with success than any legal facts or evidence.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Honestly surprised Paul Manafort is still alive.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
What does "matters" mean? Trump might get impeached, but Clinton was impeached and he's remembered as a more competent president than Bush, who wasn't impeached. Trump won't get removed from office. There will be news stories and tweet storms about Trump's corruption - that's not new. This might make Trump less likely to win re-election. Is that mattering? I don't know what people are actually suggesting wen they say something will or will not "matter" without anything more.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What does "matters" mean? Trump might get impeached, but Clinton was impeached and he's remembered as a more competent president than Bush, who wasn't impeached. Trump won't get removed from office. There will be news stories and tweet storms about Trump's corruption - that's not new. This might make Trump less likely to win re-election. Is that mattering? I don't know what people are actually suggesting wen they say something will or will not "matter" without anything more.

Hopefully the stress kills him?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

The media is also locked and loaded to crucify him over this, because there's nothing like a good out and out scandal for ratings. There's been a very obvious shift in both-sides-isms the last week or so.

Also, it's just very very obvious that this specifically was real fuckin corrupt, and the evidence will not stop.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1177183535037374465

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I was getting real confused at what she meant by “Fruity G”, thinking it was the code name the whistleblower gave themselves, and for a bit there, I thought “well, it’s better than Deepthoat”.

The very fact that I thought this was possible establishes that this is the most hosed up timeline.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

To me, it means substantially shifting public opinion (more than a 5% drop of his median approval, or sub-35%) while also giving the media a narrative to run with that will absolutely not go away.

A 35% approval will substantially gently caress up downballot races; it makes it all that much easier for republicans to want to ditch him.

Nothing so far has done these two things; I think this will.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 26, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
What the gently caress, Washington, you don't release this stuff at 07:30 EST?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Scott Forstall posted:

Hopefully the stress kills him?

gently caress that, I want him to watch his legacy collapse, preferably from jail, and see a Democratic President undo every loving thing he’s done.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 26, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The "mattering" is that impeachment is basically a death sentence for re-election (in theory) as it gives opponents (both R's and Dems' running against him) infinite ammunition.

Above that, any impeachment stuff could drag a lot of Senate Republicans into this too which could unearth some poo poo about them which in turn, could lead to them losing seats

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

You will also have the 200+ elected republican officials across both houses of congress on the record as voting to support someone who committed an egregious offense that is easily understood by the public.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm awake, I've fed my dog, I've argued with my parents because they tried to pull a "Not All Republicans" line of bullshit with me (the exciting sequel to "Not All Nazis") and now I want this goddamn report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What the gently caress, Washington, you don't release this stuff at 07:30 EST?

I would imagine within the next few hours after everyone is up and it dominates the news cycle for the day.