Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I usually start with coal while power draw is low, supplement with natural gas from geysers to extend my supply, add hatches pooping coal to give it long term capability as power increases and then aim for solar panels with a giant rear end bank of batteries. Once you have solar and batteries you have basically endless power and I retire my hatches, finish off whatever coal I have then go with primarily solar with natural gas if anything annoying happens and solar can't cover it. At that point it's basically infinitely sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Overdrift posted:

What is the progression on power production in the mid game? I've been using coal generators but my nearby reserves are drying up and I haven't been able to get hydrogen working with the tiny pockets nearby my base.

Doorless rooms with a conveyor dropoff, a drain in the floor, a hamster wheel, and an otherwise unwanted dupe. Stock the dropoff with nothing but fried mush bars.

e: Consider skipping the drain in the floor for planned obsolescence.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 24, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Natural Gas and Hydrogen if you have vents, otherwise you need to go straight to oil from coal.

Or if you are on a map with volcano's you could probably run on steam alone. But that's more late game I would think, at least for me it is.

I'm on cycle 150ish and I'm on coal and natural gas. Eventually I will move into oil but I don't want to do that until I get steel and plastic for a cooling unit to handle the heat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Overdrift posted:

What is the progression on power production in the mid game? I've been using coal generators but my nearby reserves are drying up and I haven't been able to get hydrogen working with the tiny pockets nearby my base.

You can have a bunker tile connecting a boiling chamber filled with water (and nothing else, and the upper tiles can't be more than half full) to the core if it's molten. This will provide power for a very long time if you have a way to cool the turbine. An ice fan can do it in a pinch.

There's almost always a natural gas vent as well, and harnessing it gives 800W - 1200W if you add a power station. A natural gas vent with enough storage tanks will run a natural gas generator forever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Ethanol to petro generators is completely sustainable and very effective with a power station. 9 trees = 6 distillers = 3 petros at 3kw each. It’s drat near a closed loop too other than you’ll need a supplement polluted water source.

Just get ready for a LOT of heat, polluted dirt and CO2.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Don't trees eat like 100kg of polluted water/cycle each tho?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Don't trees eat like 100kg of polluted water/cycle each tho?

Your petro generator will compensate for some of that, and assuming you have a H2O vent of some sort that you've leveraged you can use carbon skimmers to convert the CO2 the generator produces into almost all the rest of the pwater you need, with only a little additional required.

The polluted dirt is actually great, as it can go to Sage Hatches for coal or to Pokeshells for lime. Or you can just compost it for any agriculture you want to do. The ethanol loop is dirt positive, meaning you never need to run out of dirt for e.g. sleetwheet.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Not since Eve Online have I had to breakout spreedsheets but here we go. Got focused on rockets so much that my dups converted 20ton of water to steam via my Iron volcano drop off. Flooded my whole base with 3kg/sq of Co2 from petrol generators and ran my natural gas reserves dry trying to make LOX. So long utopia you're lessons will be learned

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So is there a sustainable way to make dirt without the dupe labor of compost? I'm on Terra but I have a lot of pips and one single arbor seed, are they dirt positive? I just built a sleet wheat farm and I have enough dirt for a few thousand cycles, but I think it will run out before my coal does, and at least I have stone hatches to make more of that from granite or whatever other rock pours in from the sky. I want a compute cluster version of this game that will tell me how long I live if I do nothing.

Anyone have any framerate advice? I only have 11 dupes but things are really chugging now that I've explored the whole map. I'd alter my base for framerate if I could.

PS why the heck do large transformers output 4kw instead of 2 to match conductive wire? What is the use case there? It'd be cool if they had two outputs but no such luck.

Edit: wow it's right above this post, rip me, though if pips work I might skip the ethanol part, I have many tons of steel and plastic already.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

Your petro generator will compensate for some of that, and assuming you have a H2O vent of some sort that you've leveraged you can use carbon skimmers to convert the CO2 the generator produces into almost all the rest of the pwater you need, with only a little additional required.

I knew there was a reason I liked carbon skimmers

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I just realized I can use two 1kw transformers to power the 2kw wire, rather than use 1 4kw transformer.

That way I can setup two transformers per floor early on and wait until have refined metal, then change the wire without having to break anything else down to rebuild.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So is there a sustainable way to make dirt without the dupe labor of compost? I'm on Terra but I have a lot of pips and one single arbor seed, are they dirt positive?

You used to be able to cook fertilizer into dirt (~125C), effectively converting polluted water and some phosphorite into dirt. I don't know if this still is dirt positive, they changed some things regarding conversions from one solid to another.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone have any framerate advice? I only have 11 dupes but things are really chugging now that I've explored the whole map. I'd alter my base for framerate if I could.

Sticking stuff in storage bins helped my framerate quite a bit. If I would do it again though, I would probably have dedicated storage for specific items rather than tagging the bin to store everything.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 26, 2019

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

So is there a sustainable way to make dirt without the dupe labor of compost? I'm on Terra but I have a lot of pips and one single arbor seed, are they dirt positive? I just built a sleet wheat farm and I have enough dirt for a few thousand cycles, but I think it will run out before my coal does, and at least I have stone hatches to make more of that from granite or whatever other rock pours in from the sky. I want a compute cluster version of this game that will tell me how long I live if I do nothing.

PS why the heck do large transformers output 4kw instead of 2 to match conductive wire? What is the use case there? It'd be cool if they had two outputs but no such luck.

Edit: wow it's right above this post, rip me, though if pips work I might skip the ethanol part, I have many tons of steel and plastic already.
You can evaporate polluted water directly into dirt and steam. Does Terra have Iron? If so...

The easiest way of doing it is to make a sauna - stick all your manufacturing and electricity in a giant box with a vacuum and steam turbines on top (everything in the box has to be made of steel!), an aquatuner to run a cooling loop, and to get it started put some water in the bottom and run oil/petroleum coolant in a refinery in a loop along the bottom, it will flash to steam in no time, once you've got steam and your turbines turn on you can just turn on the petroleum generators and they directly output dirt and steam. This works pretty passively because unlike every other building in the game, steam turbines only suck in steam, they won't clog or damage even if CO2 gets to the top.

You'll need to deal with the CO2, either by pumping it out or slicksters and you'll need to put a sensor on the steam return to avoid over-pressurizing the thing. If you want to get fancy, use a double liquid lock like I did otherwise heat will bleed out from the oil lock and cabling - it's manageable amounts but it does reduce the efficiency.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 26, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

The ethanol part of the cycle is the most lucrative bit. Pips produce 20kg/cycle of dirt if they've eaten 9% of an Arbor Tree's growth, or the equivalent of 30kg of lumber. A domestic tree requires 10kg/dirt per cycle and produces 333kg of lumber per cycle, so you're instantly doubling your dirt. However, if you put the output of two trees (600kg, assuming each has a Pip) into a Distiller, it'll produce 200kg of pdirt per cycle, meaning that it multiplies your dirt investment by a factor of 21 overall.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
For reference the old way of making dirt was to make fertilizer and cook it into dirt at ~125C. Due to a longstanding bug you could get a near 1:1 fertilizer to dirt conversion making the process dirt positive. After bugfixing the ratio is a fixed 2:1 and isn't dirt positive anymore.

Arbor trees are all round better mechanism for dirt. Wild grown trees are also water positive in the ethanol cycle. Domestic trees are technically water positive if you convert CO2 to petroleum via slicksters and burn the petroleum, but you would need a lot of slicksters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No idea how I'd even start to ranch molten slicksters... Sure would be cool though. I keep putting off doing anything with crude oil but I can't burn coal forever.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can go down and trap them using plastic you got from glossy dreckos or just scoop up the eggs into a storage container where you want them, then deselect the storage to drop. They’ll hatch on the ground (but die /crack to raw egg in the storage containers).

Regular slicksters will drop molten slickster eggs if the ambient temperature is high enough. They’ll also spawn longhair slickster eggs if it’s cool enough, which are just decor bonuses that consume oxygen and kind of useless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 26, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

So is it cheating to let gift pacu flop from the printing pod into a single square of water and find yourself with sustainable fish meat forever? Kinda feels like cheating, though they are barely touching the surf and turf because of all the pepper bread I'm making. WTF am I gonna do with 2 million calories of prepared food anyway?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I usually disable harvest on my plant food till the dupes eat into the meat/egg based stuff enough to bring it back down.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

No idea how I'd even start to ranch molten slicksters... Sure would be cool though. I keep putting off doing anything with crude oil but I can't burn coal forever.

I just followed the guide here to the letter, and it worked perfectly. They are also a really good source of eggs/meat, as they drop shittons of eggs in their lifetime.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
For what it's worth you can definitely burn coal forever. Or at least until like, cycle 5000 or something like that. Stone hatches never go out of style. You'll probably wind up with a natural gas generator eventually because it's free, and then a petroleum generator to get rid of all the free ethanol on the map, but for power alone, you can easily get by just on coal.

I use slicksters for CO2 control more than anything else, the crude is just a tiny bonus.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

How can I get more arbor tree seeds. I have one. Apparabtly the normal ways to get them (harvesting) are bugged and don’t work. Any ideas?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

How can I get more arbor tree seeds. I have one. Apparabtly the normal ways to get them (harvesting) are bugged and don’t work. Any ideas?

I've got domesticated trees in a Pip ranch which are producing seeds, so either the Pips are doing it or the harvesting is. Pips do have a chance of producing seeds when they eat the trees though, so they're worth trying.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Aethernet posted:

I've got domesticated trees in a Pip ranch which are producing seeds, so either the Pips are doing it or the harvesting is. Pips do have a chance of producing seeds when they eat the trees though, so they're worth trying.

Aha, that's an idea, pip ranching. Thanks!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Aethernet posted:

Yeah pips will get a single seed from a tree, but no more apparently. You can exploit this to get as many seeds as you need.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there a known crash issue on startup? I haven't touched this game in a year or two, now I can't get past the Klei splash screen. There's a few posts on their bug forum describing the issue, but no solutions or acknowledgement from the devs. Real disappointing to finally check out this game in a 1.0 state and it's unplayable, when I never encountered a bug of this sort during EA.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

metasynthetic posted:

Is there a known crash issue on startup? I haven't touched this game in a year or two, now I can't get past the Klei splash screen. There's a few posts on their bug forum describing the issue, but no solutions or acknowledgement from the devs. Real disappointing to finally check out this game in a 1.0 state and it's unplayable, when I never encountered a bug of this sort during EA.

Haven't encountered it myself. Was this from a fresh install or just updating the game from a year or two ago? Might try the former if it was the latter.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Fresh.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

I put effort into cleaning out all the loose material as I sealed up each section, yet somehow random igneous rock appeared in the steam section. Frustrating. I think I may have accidentally added a tiny amount of polluted water when adding the water.

I've also been trying to design a more interesting Space Scanner setup, and the fact that Robo-Miner's can't be mirrored is maddening.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Faldoncow posted:

I put effort into cleaning out all the loose material as I sealed up each section, yet somehow random igneous rock appeared in the steam section. Frustrating. I think I may have accidentally added a tiny amount of polluted water when adding the water.

I've also been trying to design a more interesting Space Scanner setup, and the fact that Robo-Miner's can't be mirrored is maddening.

There’s the odd chance that magma got trapped behind the tiles on the bottom as you built over the magma then got cooled and ejected upwards to the only free space available. Very rarely you’ll find liquid behind a tile like that when you deconstruct.

How did you do the gas separation, vacuum the whole space then build each room seperately? Your entryway on top makes me interested; I feel like you would’ve had issues keeping hydrogen pressure up. Also keeping that cooling steam chamber free of hydrogen, although the gravity would work to seperate the steam/hydrogen once the water boiled.

What’s the temp sensor at? 200C?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 27, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Faldoncow posted:

What material is the insulated tile made up of? It could be something partially melted into magma then solidified.

Polluted water boils into a very small fraction of dirt, which turns into sand then glass. To turn it into igneous rock you need to boil the molten glass into rock gas which magma isn't hot enough to do

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 27, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Mazz posted:

There’s the odd chance that magma got trapped behind the tiles on the bottom as you built over the magma then got cooled and ejected upwards to the only free space available. Very rarely you’ll find liquid behind a tile like that when you deconstruct.

How did you do the gas separation, vacuum the whole space then build each room seperately? Your entryway on top makes me interested; I feel like you would’ve had issues keeping hydrogen pressure up. Also keeping that cooling steam chamber free of hydrogen, although the gravity would work to seperate the steam/hydrogen once the water boiled.

What’s the temp sensor at? 200C?

Ya, I'm guessing it's this. To get the full shape the way I wanted against the magma, a few of the tiles were built directly on them, so the chance of a teensy bit of magma being there would make sense. The odd thing is that the igneous rock/magma inside the steam chamber never showed up until I added water and created steam.

I built the whole room as with a 1 tile opening for the ladder, and there's a small room above with a water lock and atmo suit dock. Vacuumed out the whole place, then dug out the floor and replaced it with the glass (didn't want to super heat any gasses). Next step was to lay out the rooms, then build the steam chamber and seal it up. At that point, the whole thing is still vacuum and sending some water into the steam room using the existing turbine drains is easy.

Then did the same thing for the cooling steam room: built it, sealed it, and carefully added ~200kg of water using a valve for flow control.It had a bit too much heat to safely use a bottle emptier. Filled all the rest of the place (including outside in the small entranceway) with hydrogen, started it running, then sealed it up and pumped the leftover hydrogen out of the entranceway.

I'm considering now adding an entrance for dupes to go in and tune up the generators, but I think what I'll do for that is add transit tubes in and out to prevent any open access points.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Faldoncow posted:

The odd thing is that the igneous rock/magma inside the steam chamber never showed up until I added water and created steam.

It wouldn't. If there was liquid rock behind the tile, it needs to cool enough to become solid rock and pop up into free space.

That's not going to happen in insulation tiles with vaccuum above it. You had to dump the water in there to cool the liquid rock down.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
It could be from one of the quirks of working with magma. The igneous rock can teleport weirdly, Francis John did a video where he shows some weird interactions with it and mesh tiles, possibly the same is true for other tiles?
Around 1:15 he starts talking about interaction between magma mesh tiles and cooling and how the igneous get teleported diagonally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNyGrs0HsWI

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Interesting. There were a few posts where you all were talking about fps and whatnot. Haven't tried it myself, but sounds like the current testing branch has some decent performance improvements.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/112103-new-performance-patch-in-testing-369994/

quote:

Duplicants weren't properly dead while in containers. This fixes them causing crashes from getting sick but also being dead (and in a container). (Still need to figure out what they are doing in containers...)

Faldoncow fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 27, 2019

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I just gave it a try and it really works well. Basically doubled my lategame fps at 3x from 20 to 40. Looking forward to full release of it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Y'all wrong about magma.

That's magma teleportation. It can happen with anything less than 3 bunker tiles if you have high enough pressure on one side. It's an intentional game mechanic.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I'll be honest, I've worked with magma quite a bit and I've never observed any behind tile or teleportation behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Faldoncow posted:

This is my current space setup, which is far from optimal:

The miners are on granite and the windows are diamond. Both are reasonably conductive - the petroleum on the granite allows the coolant running through it to cool the miners, and the windows cool the metal left after the miners have removed the regolith. If I was building this again, I'd put four tiles between the bunker doors and the windows, and build the miners vertically, as that would enable them to reach all eight squares of the windows and make the design tilable.