Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

So the GOP play is probably going to be the whistleblower not having “first-hand” knowledge. But clearly he/she is a high level person tasked with managing Ukrainian intel. Basically everything that happened regarding the country went thru them and their team for analysis and review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

fatherboxx posted:

How did they let all of it leak out so quickly?
Is there not a single adult left to keep things in check?

It was officially released.

There is a classified portion that was not released but it appears that the whistleblower separated their report into a classified and unclassified portion.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol things are happening really fast now after three years of Democrats dragging their feet

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Nunes looks shook AF.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Holy poo poo that complaint.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The active cover up is new.

Which is hilarious because there was some Jackass from The Federalist gaslighting on Morning Edition not one hour ago about how "well it may be bad but he's being transparent and there's no cover up so *shrug*".

Another BS talking point obliterated in record time.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Donald's smooth-bore wormhole riddled Benjamin Button brain must be operaying at the level of a 4 year old at this point.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like how the whistlevlower is saying "this poo poo is in the public news, people" but officially reporting it as a "whistleblower" is what it took to get things moving.
Yeah, footnote on page 6 was just "here's Rudy on Fox News saying: 'CRIMES, CRIMES, CRIMES'"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fatherboxx posted:

It wasn't leaked, it was declassified and made public.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Dude I loving wish the Democrats were committed to destroying the Republican party and all it stands for

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nunes looks shook AF.

Is he still calling it a hoax?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Retro42 posted:

So the GOP play is probably going to be the whistleblower not having “first-hand” knowledge. But clearly he/she is a high level person tasked with managing Ukrainian intel. Basically everything that happened regarding the country went thru them and their team for analysis and review.

If the cleaned-up, WH approved version of the transcript hadn't been released, this might have worked for them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Angry_Ed posted:

Is he still calling it a hoax?

Well he's currently in his seat on the House Intel Committee panel but he looks like he just saw a ghost.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

fatherboxx posted:

Trump pissed off the entire intelligence apparatus months before he took office and continued to do so for years. This was bound to happen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If the whistleblower was in fact someone like Bolton or on his level, he likely told Schiff the IG was withholding it and the push started
then for some reason the WH complied and let all this stuff come out
I don't know why

they hosed up bad

really really bad

i think trump is legit deluded enough to think he did nothing wrong.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
https://twitter.com/translaterealdt/status/1177203354893725697?s=21

:getin:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume we can gain access to it and god knows what else from the National Security Council server?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thanks. i just think there is probably more bad poo poo on the server.

seems like the leader is in the bunker already screaming for his men to die for him.

Yeah, they basically hid all the GOP- and career-destroying stuff on the NSC server and hoped that "national security" would cover that. The first thing that needs to happen is the Intel and Def cmte to request access to that server for "national security" reasons.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Trump sent Rick Perry to meet with Zelensky until he knew that Z would play ball.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Well he's currently in his seat on the House Intel Committee panel but he looks like he just saw a ghost.

yeah, i think he knows its hosed. its not like russia where there is "enough muddy water" that he can just lie and scream. its also all direct connections.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's this. He's probably done similar poo poo his whole life and never suffered for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, they basically hid all the GOP- and career-destroying stuff on the NSC server and hoped that "national security" would cover that. The first thing that needs to happen is the Intel and Def cmte to request access to that server for "national security" reasons.

i mean they will probably get it too. espcially since its clearly shown to be a cover up.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Edmund Lava posted:

Trump pissed off the entire intelligence apparatus months before he took office and continued to do so for years. This was bound to happen.

This wasn't leaked. The URL for it starts with "https://intelligence.house.gov/uploadedfiles/"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Trump sent Rick Perry to meet with Zelensky until he knew that Z would play ball.

And for even more humor the implication that Rick Perry is the Patsy dumb stooge.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If anybody is confused about all the little ____ blocks I can explain them! (The bigger ones obviously mean they just erased some poo poo.)

Short version is classified information is typically labelled like this: TOP SECRET/FUNNYCODEWORD or abbreviated like TS/XYZ. The first part is just how classified it is in general it is, so to see TOP SECRET information you need to have a TOP SECRET security clearance. The second part means it's part of a special program of some kind, usually some kind of SCI (special compartmented information.) To legally have access to the information you need to have high enough clearance AND be cleared for SCI information in general, AND be granted access to that specific program, which is done on a case-by-case basis if your job requires it.

The little blackouts are because the name of the program (or even its abbreviation) is itself classified.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
The crime itself, while bad, isnt anything out of the ordinary for Trump. He's been abusing the office for his personal gain since day 1. The big deal here is a well-documented coverup that is coming from someone inside the administration.

The coverup matters more than the crime because it makes him look guilty on a level that a moron can understand. Everyone in their life has done something lovely and tried to cover it up or hide it. It's something that humans have a keen sense of, and when you see someone else doing it you innately know they're guilty. It's much different than the Mueller investigation that focused on technical definitions and legalese that the average person couldn't internalize.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Donald's smooth-bore wormhole riddled Benjamin Button brain must be operaying at the level of a 4 year old at this point.

I'd like to see you after

*checks notes*

FOUR whole days of work!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Right. The complaint makes it seem as if the cover up was the result of other people realizing how bad this was as it was happening. Trump wasn't smart enough to understand that he was doing something wrong that would require a cover up.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean they will probably get it too. espcially since its clearly shown to be a cover up.

odds it has been wiped?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
DNI about to testify.

https://youtu.be/wNDIOd4Dqa4

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This is a little convoluted, but it’s incredibly damming. Not only did Trump actually lean on Ukraine by withholding aid until Ukraine “play ball”; but there are direct transcripts of this phone call, and it’s not the first time that Trump has potential done something like this because the admin has placed other non-security related transcripts in the national security server.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Storing the actual transcript on a codeword clearance network is really bad, but the complaint also mentioned that this wasn't the first time that was done.

I wanna see all the transcripts now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

odds it has been wiped?

high but that makes it even worse

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

high but that makes it even worse

I mean, something like this system is probably not just a USB stick somebody can just pull.

That level of security measures comes with a set of strict rules for who can do what and logging.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Right. The complaint makes it seem as if the cover up was the result of other people realizing how bad this was as it was happening. Trump wasn't smart enough to understand that he was doing something wrong that would require a cover up.

50% Trump and Rudy doing stupid illegal smooth-brained poo poo. 50% staff panicking that they did it ON THE RECORD.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

abelwingnut posted:

odds it has been wiped?

That would be like the missing 18 minutes of Nixon tapes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
DNI hearing: https://www.c-span.org/video/?464509-1/acting-director-national-intelligence-maguire-testifies-whistleblower-complaint

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't think anybody working for Trump is smart enough to make SCI information vanish without a trace from a sensitive compartmented information facility.

That would be like the missing 18 minutes of Nixon tapes.

Also this.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Rabble posted:

This is a little convoluted, but it’s incredibly damming. Not only did Trump actually lean on Ukraine by withholding aid until Ukraine “play ball”; but there are direct transcripts of this phone call, and it’s not the first time that Trump has potential done something like this because the admin has placed other non-security related transcripts in the national security server.

Yeah that last bit is probably the biggest "new" information we have. That they've done this with other calls seems like a nice juicy lead for the investigators.

I wonder if those files still exist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

I don't think anybody working for Trump is smart enough to make SCI information vanish without a trace from a sensitive compartmented information facility.

Also this.

But is anybody working for Trump smart enough to realize that they aren't smart enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Part of what the whistleblower complaint might show is that the 'transcript' we saw yesterday might be the sanitized version - it would explain the posturing from Trump about what a perfect conversation it was, 'knowing' that what they were going to release would look innocent but also stupidly unaware of how bad it looked anyways.