Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sean10mm posted:

Turbo classifying everything around the Ukraine crimes was actually maybe the stupidest thing imaginable, because it means all of it has incredibly strict bureaucratic traceability for both physical and electronic copies. Either it's all there, or it's glaringly obvious when it was destroyed and by whom.

It's fine to say "Trump disobeys rules" but we're talking about a big system Trump understands nothing about, and probably never thought about beyond "classify it so nobody can read it and gently caress off."

Trump is absolutely a guy who thinks if you delete a file off your computer it's gone forever.

Also page 100 bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I turned to CNN because I was curious to see what was happening and what the anchors were saying. It was right as Schiff turned the floor over to Nunes and Nunes bleated something about "Democrat informational warfare". I couldn't change the channel fast enough. But if this is all they've got as a counter, then :lol:.

Nunes is Reading the “Best of Q-Anon Thanksgiving Conspiracies / Excuses list” and is trying to make this about Democrats being bitter over 2016 and nothing more. Despite the fact that the whistleblowers are giving, as said by another poster above, GPS-accurate directions to the dirt and with samples of what’s in there.

He’s basically doing what the GOP does: obfuscate, waste time and pray the populace loses interest in their crimes.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Maguire just said the White House told him not to transmit the complaint to congress. He is throwing them under the bus.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
If the complaint didn’t include intelligence gathering activities don’t you have to concede that the president was digging up partisan dirt?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I wonder if the Ukrainian President played dumb ala the whole “Hello Mr. Thompson” scene from the Simpsons, and someone broke down somewhere and explicitly stated the quid pro quo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Slowpoke! posted:

Maguire just said the White House told him not to transmit the complaint to congress. He is throwing them under the bus.

Add it to the crime board.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

That is some top-class rear end covering.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

* U N P R E C E D E N T E D *

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Maguire is a worm

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
"Not for me to judge." Ahh, the Mueller play.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think you guys are reading too much into this. Maguire isn't throwing anyone under the bus, he's just desperately covering his own rear end.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Trump is absolutely a guy who thinks if you delete a file off your computer it's gone forever.

Also page 100 bitches

He doesn’t even know how to use a computer, I don’t think he’s ever touched one.

Its why he thinks there is a rich guy in Ukraine with a box that literally has Hillary’s 30,000 emails on it. Its like that scene in Zoolander where ben stiller thinks literal, physical files are “inside the computer?!”

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Paradoxish posted:

I think you guys are reading too much into this. Maguire isn't throwing anyone under the bus, he's just desperately covering his own rear end.

Yeah, this. He's avoiding giving a straight answer.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

They took down the story and Travernise deleted her tweet

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Boy he is not ready for this

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Solaris 2.0 posted:

He doesn’t even know how to use a computer, I don’t think he’s ever touched one.

Its why he thinks there is a rich guy in Ukraine with a box that literally has Hillary’s 30,000 emails on it. Its like that scene in Zoolander where ben stiller thinks literal, physical files are “inside the computer?!”

That's the reason the Mueller report didn't destroy him. If he EVER sent emails he'd be sunk.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Maguire is trying to tap dance around these questions. He's on Trump's side.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

TGLT posted:

Boy he is not ready for this

He's ready, just can't say anything under oath that is not "Trump made me do it"

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Just so I'm not making the wrong conclusion: Did the DNI directly imply that Trump releasing the transcripts waiver the executive privilege that was stalling the whistleblower complaint? If so, that's just an incredible self own by Trump.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Or covering his own rear end...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1177218700560228353?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Every word this guy says is a slight variation of "I didn't do anything illegal!"

Like, I can't totally blame him here, but he's useless.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

He is getting his chronology mixed up a bunch. He be lyin

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

The actual report is only a few pages long so I would encourage everyone to read it.

Summarizing:

- Trump asked for political favors from Ukraine on a call that featured several people. Call was first reported on by the Ukranian side as a "discussion about corruption"

- Once the admin realized how awful it was, they sent it to a server that is supposed to only hold the most classified of information, essentially burying it in paperwork. Supposedly there is an actual transcript of the conversation.

- Members of the admin have been repeatedly sent to advise the Ukranians how to "navigate" Trump's demands.

- Rudy Giuliani was a major player directly, Barr's connection was less established in the document.

There's more but if this can be shown to be credible enough to convince the public then we are about to have an interesting week.

You forgot the most important part:

quote:

"According to multiple White House officials I spoke with, the transcript of the President's call with President Zelenskyy was placed into a computer system managed directly by the National Security Council (NSC) Directorate for Intelligence Programs. This is a standalone computer system reserved for codeword-level intelligence information, such as covert action. According to information I received from White House officials, some officals voiced concerns internally that this would be an abuse of the system and was not consistent with the responsibilities of the Directorate for Intelligence Programs.
According to White House officials I spoke with, THIS WAS "NOT THE FIRST TIME" UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT A PRESIDENTIAL TRANSCRIPT WAS PLACED INTO THIS CODEWORD-LEVEL SYSTEM SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROTECTING POLITICALLY SENSITIVE - RATHER THAN NATIONAL SECURITY SENSITIVE - INFORMATION."
There is so, so much more on that 'top secret server' and this complaint just gave the House carte blanche to subpoena all of it.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 26, 2019

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao. That took a long time to acknowledge what Schiff clearly knew. He loving walked that poo poo straight to the White House.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tuff Scrote posted:

They took down the story and Travernise deleted her tweet

img-donald_glover_GOOD.mp4

Not so sure if he’s on Trump’s side or if he’s afraid of the axe coming from an angry House and a senile, angry Trump, so he’s just trying his damnedest to stay out of the conversation.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
This is slightly uncomfortable to watch

"You went to the subject of the complaint- to ask if you should forward the complaint to Congress?"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

sean10mm posted:

Turbo classifying everything around the Ukraine crimes was actually maybe the stupidest thing imaginable, because it means all of it has incredibly strict bureaucratic traceability for both physical and electronic copies. Either it's all there, or it's glaringly obvious when it was destroyed and by whom.

It's fine to say "Trump disobeys rules" but we're talking about a big system Trump understands nothing about, and probably never thought about beyond "classify it so nobody can read it and gently caress off."

Seriously. Just leave it to sink into obscurity or delete the damned thing, anything is better than that

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1177219324681031680?s=20

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Yo, if the president does crimes, I don't think "executive privilege" can stop the release of crimes, so the DNI is arguing a moot point.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Space Friend posted:

Just so I'm not making the wrong conclusion: Did the DNI directly imply that Trump releasing the transcripts waiver the executive privilege that was stalling the whistleblower complaint? If so, that's just an incredible self own by Trump.

It's bullshit. Executive privilege has to be asserted. He wants to explain his failure to comply then why he suddenly changed.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Sciff is doing everything right that the dems were doing wrong when they were questioning Kavanaugh.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Oracle posted:

You forgot the most important part:
[quote]"According to multiple White House officials I spoke with, the transcript of the President's call with President Zelenskyy was placed into a computer system managed directly by the National Security Council (NSC) Directorate for Intelligence Programs. This is a standalone computer system reserved for codeword-level intelligence information, such as covert action. According to information I received from White House officials, some officals voiced concerns internally that this would be an abuse of the system and was not consistent with the responsibilities of the Directorate for Intelligence Programs.
According to White House officials I spoke with, THIS WAS "NOT THE FIRST TIME" UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT A PRESIDENTIAL TRANSCRIPT WAS PLACED INTO THIS CODEWORD-LEVEL SYSTEM SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROTECTING POLITICALLY SENSITIVE - RATHER THAN NATIONAL SECURITY SENSITIVE - INFORMATION."
There is so, so much more on that 'top secret server' and this complaint just gave the House carte blanche to subpoena all of it.

They need to do that and just drag allllllllll of it out. Because there is more, so much much more there

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I think he's trying to cover his rear end. I don't think he's on Trump's side necessarily.

Schiff is accusing him of being so dumb that he took a whistleblower complaint ABOUT THE PRESIDENT, directly TO THE WHITE HOUSE.

"Gee, this person said you broke the law.....what do you think, and is this executive privilege?!"

Like, it's so dumb.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ah there it is. "I had no loving clue what to do with this"

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I hope Schiff charges the DNI with contempt of congress for delaying transmission of the complaint. Hearing Schiff turn the screws is great, but if the DNI walks out of there, it's just a god damned wet fart again.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Please remember as hearings and such happen that this isn't a TVIV livestream thread. Not everyone is or can watch the news all day, so remember to add context to your posts.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mahoning posted:

I think he's trying to cover his rear end. I don't think he's on Trump's side necessarily.

Schiff is accusing him of being so dumb that he took a whistleblower complaint ABOUT THE PRESIDENT, directly TO THE WHITE HOUSE.

"Gee, this person said you broke the law.....what do you think, and is this executive privilege?!"

Like, it's so dumb.

LOL he took it to BOTH parties that were implicated in the complaint.

I think Macguire is regretting coming this morning. It is amazing how he was seeking counsel on the word "shall" in the statute.

AHAHAAH SCHIFF GOT THE DNI TO ADMIT THAT THE WHISTLEBLOWER WAS ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 26, 2019

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The sad thing is I believe this guy thought he was doing the right thing but was too dumb to see he was being played.

Edit: just saw the mod note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1177219215402655746?s=20