Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

CHEF!!! posted:

I hope Nunes gets inoperable cancer and dies a slow lingering death while the few people who care for him watch helplessly as he withers away. gently caress him and gently caress everyone who sides with him.
Hard to believe there exists such a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol 'press scum' is a new level of mad

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Rabble posted:

The sad thing is I believe this guy thought he was doing the right thing but was too dumb to see he was being played.

Edit: just saw the mod note.

I disagree. He took the easy way out and didn't jeopardize his career. Doing the appropriate thing would have put him at odds with the WH so he just....didn't do that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Space Friend posted:

Just so I'm not making the wrong conclusion: Did the DNI directly imply that Trump releasing the transcripts waiver the executive privilege that was stalling the whistleblower complaint? If so, that's just an incredible self own by Trump.

He just outright said it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ripoff posted:

Not so sure if he’s on Trump’s side or if he’s afraid of the axe coming from an angry House and a senile, angry Trump, so he’s just trying his damnedest to stay out of the conversation.

It's this. Maguire is a huge coward. He knew he was in a world of poo poo when he got the report, so he did everything in his power to try to cover all of his bases while remaining just technically on the right side of legal. Now he's desperately trying to thread a needle in his testimony where he can remain apolitical, unopinionated, and also not in jail.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
It is weird that the guy sitting behind Joseph Maguire looks like a more serious version of Toby Maguire.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

He's not being hostile, just plainly covering his own rear end. I am almost more curious in how he responds to Nunes' naked partisan butchery when it's his time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s losing it

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
DNI says Trump releasing the phone transcripts yesterday ended possible executive privilege over the whistleblower complaint allowing it to be released.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

TGLT posted:

It's bullshit. Executive privilege has to be asserted. He wants to explain his failure to comply then why he suddenly changed.

Thanks for that. It seems incredibly in line with this masterclass of CYA that the acting DNI is putting on for us.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

"Welcome Director, You are going to be part of a charade of legal word games so they can have sound bites for the media"

gently caress you Nunes

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

He's not being hostile, just plainly covering his own rear end. I am almost more curious in how he responds to Nunes' naked partisan butchery when it's his time.

Yeah, I stopped listening because he sounds like a corporate pencil pusher covering his rear end after not doing his job.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i take back my statement about how this guy did nothing wrong

he clearly was desperately afraid of being fired if he followed the law, and instead took it to the white house to find an excuse to violate the law

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whew, that look of relief on Mcguire when Nunes gave him an immediate out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

skylined! posted:

yea tbh this is what I expected, he's gonna cover his own rear end sticking to the 'actually it wasn't a pressing issue and I was just following the rules' story. No one's gonna throw Trump under the bus until the walls start closing in on them and he's pretty safe.

The real question will be if he validates the chuds.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

On a lighter note, I have full faith in Nunes asking questions that will help Schiff make his point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paradoxish posted:

It's this. Maguire is a huge coward. He knew he was in a world of poo poo when he got the report, so he did everything in his power to try to cover all of his bases while remaining just technically on the right side of legal. Now he's desperately trying to thread a needle in his testimony where he can remain apolitical, unopinionated, and also not in jail.

yeah. he isn't defending trump. he is trying to save himself with muller style apolitical. he is saying the right stuff so far but in a wormy way. could be alot worse.

Tuff Scrote posted:

DNI says Trump releasing the phone transcripts yesterday ended possible executive privilege over the whistleblower complaint allowing it to be released.

like this.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nunes is so loving mad that this is being made public. What a stellar defense, Nunes.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

AHAHAAH SCHIFF GOT THE DNI TO ADMIT THAT THE WHISTLEBLOWER WAS ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Schiff is building a base of support for the whistleblower and all future whistleblowers that the House Investigative Committee is there to listen and protect them when they see wrongdoings. That’s really good, really really good.

Hopefully anyone else seeing Trump’s crimes will be looking at this and realizing they have friends in Congress.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paradoxish posted:

That's my impression as well, and since he's career military he should be exceptionally skilled at threading that needle by following the procedure down to the last word. Olympic level rear end-covering is pretty much a requirement to be where he is.

He's just got absolutely no room for error and his partner who was holding the needle is a toddler throwing a tantrum.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Devin Nunes seems unprepared and have lovely talking points to lean on...

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

i take back my statement about how this guy did nothing wrong

he clearly was desperately afraid of being fired if he followed the law, and instead took it to the white house to find an excuse to violate the law

I still may be able to believe he did not technically break the law, but he definitely betrayed the country by not taking more swift and appropriate action.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just want someone to ask how the gently caress the president, the DNI's loving boss, isn't 'part of intelligence'

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Nunes is trying to spin the whistleblower as a leaker because he is conniving snake

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

refleks posted:

Nunes is notoriously stupid, even among his very stupid colleagues.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, but usually he can muster some guts and righteous indignation that covers his incompetence...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

reminder devin nunes is suing a twitter account that pretended to be his cow for defamation

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

Nunes is trying to spin the whistleblower as a leaker because he is conniving snake

I love that their defense is “dems bad”.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I just want someone to ask how the gently caress the president, the DNI's loving boss, isn't 'part of intelligence'

you uh

you wanna reconsider this one?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Nunes is accusing the DNI of leaking the transcripts of calls now? What the gently caress is happening right now?

"Is it normal for the Presidents conversations leak out?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

yea Nunes is famously one of the dumbest of the dumb. Remember he's the guy who got busted sprinting across the white house lawn to go tell daddy about one of the classified briefings or reports congress got

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

refleks posted:

he is shook and he is used to muddy waters and such.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao, now Nunes is accusing the intelligence community of leaking all calls the president has :D

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

friendbot2000 posted:

LOL he took it to BOTH parties that were implicated in the complaint.

I think Macguire is regretting coming this morning. It is amazing how he was seeking counsel on the word "shall" in the statute.

AHAHAAH SCHIFF GOT THE DNI TO ADMIT THAT THE WHISTLEBLOWER WAS ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Maguire is extremely unprepared and bad at this and Schiff just took his argument apart.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I just realized that even though the Acting DNI is a coward for not pushing against the WH on this issue, he doesn't seem interested in playing Nunes bs games.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is shook and he is used to muddy waters and such.

He doesn't understand what he's saying ever, so you can ask him to say anything and he'll say it with the same level of confidence.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

sexpig by night posted:

yea Nunes is famously one of the dumbest of the dumb. Remember he's the guy who got busted sprinting across the white house lawn to go tell daddy about one of the classified briefings or reports congress got

He sued a cow and Devin Nunes’s mom at the same time.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Nunes keeps somehow setting up the DNI to be forced to defend the WB. Like how bad can he be at this.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

YUp. Nunes just straight-up accused the Intelligence Community of leaking conversations.

"I will say this. The white house did not leak this out."

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN NUNES!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

Nunes is accusing the DNI of leaking the transcripts of calls now? What the gently caress is happening right now?

"Is it normal for the Presidents conversations leak out?"

It's obvious the DNI isn't going to play ball, because he is only there to cover his rear end, so he's going to treat him as hostile to get soundbites that he accused Schiff of goinf after.

Retro42 posted:

I just realized that even though the Acting DNI is a coward for not pushing against the WH on this issue, he doesn't seem interested in playing Nunes bs games.

I believe him when he said he was not partisan.