Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mahoning posted:

So it seems that the GOP members of the committee are going to attack the process of what went on rather than the substance. They're also tone policing. They know they can't really attack this on the facts they're just like "This shouldn't be going on in the public and this is tearing our country apart and I'm sorry Mr. Director if the Dems are mean to you."

yeah and that's a really good sign. traditionally, the party making procedural arguments rather than substantive ones tends to lose because normal people don't understand or care about procedural bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

His turn around has been loving amazing

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who is peter daou

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I will summarize so far

Acting DNI says he received complaint from Inspector General (IG)
IG determined it was credible and urgent
Acting DNI says actually the word urgent has a legal definition that this does not meet, and due to perceived executive privilege he needed council
Acting DNI says he asked White House and Department of Justice, two departments headed by Trump and Barr, two of the subjects of the complaint
Acting DNI says it was their decision to not release immediately, not his
Acting DNI says it is unprecedented because his normal avenue is to consult with White House and DoJ, but complaint is about White House and DoJ, so that is why his actions were abnormal

He is trying to save himself. This could get bloody.

Edit: I forgot, DNI also says because White House is not a member of the Intelligence Community that he did not determine whether the accusation was credible. Basically, “not my department”

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who is peter daou

he was one of the biggest hillary partisans (he made a stupid fact check site called verrit) and one of the few that actually learned from his mistake after the loss.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shills are currently pushing thr "actually it's not a memo, it's a transcript" HARD.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Wait....Is Rep Turner claiming that the transcript is not the same as the complaint. Also he straight up called Schiff a liar....wut

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Republican rep Mike Turner opening with 'I read the transcript and to the president, this is not OK' and then attacking Schiff's opening statement for being fiction, apparently. lol.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mahoning posted:

So it seems that the GOP members of the committee are going to attack the process of what went on rather than the substance. They're also tone policing. They know they can't really attack this on the facts they're just like "This shouldn't be going on in the public and this is tearing our country apart and I'm sorry Mr. Director if the Dems are mean to you."

That's a good sign. If they aren't attacking the substance they know the substance is unassailable and they're instead angling to please their pearl-clutching boomer faithful on Fox--as well as their lord and master in the White House.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Shills are currently pushing thr "actually it's not a memo, it's a transcript" HARD.

It... literally says on the document's first page that it's not a transcript.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

yeah and that's a really good sign. traditionally, the party making procedural arguments rather than substantive ones tends to lose because normal people don't understand or care about procedural bullshit

It's exactly where Mike Turner is going now in this moment and I couldn't care less. No one outside a very limited scope gives a poo poo about the systematic reasoning of the process; everyone wants to know the crimes and the criminals.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was one of the biggest hillary partisans (he made a stupid fact check site called verrit) and one of the few that actually learned from his mistake after the loss.

I'm going to need a verritt code before I can process this as a fact, I'm afraid

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

LOL Turner is saying that the whistleblower statute is meant to protect against spy abuses, NOT PRESIDENTIAL ABUSES!

"It is there for oversight of the intelligence community, not oversight over the presidency"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

Wait....Is Rep Turner claiming that the transcript is not the same as the complaint. Also he straight up called Schiff a liar....wut

The call was bad! See I'm reasonable and moderate. ALSO the calls aren't what they were saying! But they're still bad! Somehow. Don't ask me how.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The right has their response talking points. I’m seeing the exact same lines all over twitter. Second hand information, Hill articles, biased source.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who is peter daou

Huge Hillary backer who started a web site for Pro-Establishment Dems talking points after she lost.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

fool_of_sound posted:

Please remember as hearings and such happen that this isn't a TVIV livestream thread. Not everyone is or can watch the news all day, so remember to add context to your posts.

Man I would love this. I am stuck in a 5 hr 'meeting'

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

The GOP really doesn't have good talking points even for their mouth breathing base. They can barely even speak, nevermind make a single argument that helps the president in any way. It's so very entertaining.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The GOP is going with the defense, not that the President is innocent, but that it was wrong that the President was caught.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

hidden_msg posted:

I am trying to add context! Lemme know if I need to add more :)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

I will summarize so far

Acting DNI says he received complaint from Inspector General (IG)
IG determined it was credible and urgent
Acting DNI says actually the word urgent has a legal definition that this does not meet, and due to perceived executive privilege he needed council
Acting DNI says he asked White House and Department of Justice, two departments headed by Trump and Barr, two of the subjects of the complaint
Acting DNI says it was their decision to not release immediately, not his
Acting DNI says it is unprecedented because his normal avenue is to consult with White House and DoJ, but complaint is about White House and DoJ, so that is why his actions were abnormal

He is trying to save himself. This could get bloody.

Edit: I forgot, DNI also says because White House is not a member of the Intelligence Community that he did not determine whether the accusation was credible. Basically, “not my department”

Yeah that was actually a well written argument, but it basically came down to him not doing anything because of legality A B and C.

but he still took it right to the two people mentioned in the complaint. I wonder if there's a different avenue he could have taken, or if that's really the only option there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skylined! posted:

It's exactly where Mike Turner is going now in this moment and I couldn't care less. No one outside a very limited scope gives a poo poo about the systematic reasoning of the process; everyone wants to know the crimes and the criminals.

Yeah, "if you had followed the proper procedure then the criminals would have never been caught!" is not a winning argument.

edit- I'm not sure if this is really meant for their base or the public, though. I'm beginning to think they're just covering for themselves when they inevitably refuse to vote to remove Trump.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wooten posted:

The GOP really doesn't have good talking points even for their mouth breathing base. They can barely even speak, nevermind make a single argument that helps the president in any way. It's so very entertaining.

Keep in mind, all this is going to be professionally edited in Fox news and put into a package to make the GOP look great all with commentators talking about how great the GOP look.

I wouldn't be surprised if each member had lines they were instructed to get out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rabble posted:

The GOP is going with the defense, not that the President is innocent, but that it was wrong that the President was caught.

"Your honor, we're not saying our client didn't shoot the deceased in the head until he died, only that the police broke the chain of custody on the smoking gun."

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Turner did not like the DNI's answer he was giving regarding the whistleblower process, interrupted him, and yielded back his time as his face reddened.

Wow.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hidden_msg posted:

Live updates:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2019/sep/26/donald-trump-ukraine-live-news-latest-us-politics

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

Keep in mind, all this is going to be professionally edited in Fox news and put into a package to make the GOP look great all with commentators talking about how great the GOP look.

I wouldn't be surprised if each member had lines they were instructed to get out.

Yeah but only pleasing the hardcore CHUDs won't save Trump.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rosalind posted:

It... literally says on the document's first page that it's not a transcript.

What do you believe, Fox or your own lying eyes?

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, "if you had followed the proper procedure then the criminals would have never been caught!" is not a winning argument.

It’s hilarious, though. It’s like a guy getting caught with big bags of cash stolen from the local bank and saying that the cops only caught him because they went out a fire exit when there was no fire.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

skylined! posted:

Turner did not like the DNI's answer he was giving regarding the whistleblower process, interrupted him, and yielded back his time as his face reddened.

Wow.

Because they have nothing and he's not going to help them cover this up because he knows that he'd be the fall guy if he does.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

skylined! posted:

Wow.

He was really wanting the Acting DNI to say that the whistleblower didn't do this right.

Multiple questions by the GOP have been aimed at the whistleblower's credibility/legality. Acting DNI has shut them all down.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

"Your honor, we're not saying our client didn't shoot the deceased in the head until he died, only that the police broke the chain of custody on the smoking gun."

Not even, that would be an actual issue. This is more like “the person who saw our client shoot them deceased called the electric company instead of the police...therefore it’s a shinanagins.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Yeah but only pleasing the hardcore CHUDs won't save Trump.

No but it will save these hacks from Trump, specifically Nunes, which is all he's worried about.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1177228896825171968?s=20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
"I did not receive direction from anybody" is going to be a useful sound bite for the GOP. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Retro42 posted:

He was really wanting the Acting DNI to say that the whistleblower didn't do this right.

Multiple questions by the GOP have been aimed at the whistleblower's credibility/legality. Acting DNI has shut them all down.

yea this is very much a testimony about how the DNI did nothing wrong and how the whistleblower did things right and no one did anything wrong in the DNI office about it. I'm sure the GOP can pick some of his generic 'uh all the rules were followed actually' answers as a win but this isn't gonna do anything to slow the train

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Paradoxish posted:

"I did not receive direction from anybody" is going to be a useful sound bite for the GOP. :(

I wouldn't worry about what the GOP is going to spin too much. We're operating on "talking points disproven by first page of memo" level of deflection here

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Thanks!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the DNI's defense that he didn't have to pass it on because it's a complaint about the president is absolutely insane.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So, pretty big deal democrats won the house, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

skylined! posted:

So, pretty big deal democrats won the house, huh.

This doesn’t mean poo poo until something actually results from it.