Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN

quote:

Here's what Republican senators are saying about the whistleblower complaint

From CNN's Ted Barrett

Many Senate Republicans said today that they haven’t read the whistleblower complaint yet. Others said the complaint doesn't change things and raises "more questions than answers."  
Here's what they told reporters about the complaint:

Oklahoma Sen. James Lankford and North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven each said they were in appropriations mark-ups and hadn’t yet read the full complaint.

Indiana Sen. Mike Braun said he hadn’t read it either, adding that he didn’t know about the allegations to “lock down” information at the White House. Braun went on to say that he didn’t feel the complaint would change Republican’s views of impeachment, and said the Democrats had made a mistake starting an impeachment inquiry before knowing more about the complaint.

Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander said he has not read it the complaint. “I’m waiting for the intelligence committee to finish its work."  

Ohio Sen. Rob Portman said he said he’s been “running around” all day and hasn't read it and would not comment.

Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton said “no comment” twice and boarded a senators-only elevator when asked if he was concerned the White House was locking down information.

Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said “I’ll have a better idea of how credible he is later this afternoon" when asked if he is concerned about the strong allegations from a credible whistleblower.

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a Republican from Florida, told reporters he has read the whistleblower’s complaint, and says he has “more questions than answers.”

Idaho Sen. Jim Risch, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said that there was “nothing there” when asked the rough transcript of President Trump's call with the Ukrainian leader. On the whistleblower complaint, he said that he prefers to look at the primary document, meaning the rough transcript.

South Dakota Sen. Mike Rounds said “they are using second-hand information right now. Let’s let the committee investigate it."

Iowa Sen. Joni Ernst said she hasn't had time to read the whole complaint, saying, “I am going to have to dig into it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ryde posted:

It would be fantastic if they pulled at this and it led back to Russian meddling and obstruction with more direct evidence this time. This poo poo has absolutely happened with other countries, and showing a pattern of him doing it more than once would be fantastic.

Considering they managed to keep this one buried for 5 months, and the complaint hints that there's a lot more poo poo they buried on the heavily classified server, yeah there's gonna be more. He's so blunt in the telephone conversation too, he just comes right out and says "well yesterday the Mueller report went my way so I'm gonna really get some crimes done now"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ryde posted:

It would be fantastic if they pulled at this and it led back to Russian meddling and obstruction with more direct evidence this time. This poo poo has absolutely happened with other countries, and showing a pattern of him doing it more than once would be fantastic.

Yeah this is my suspicion where it ends up. Also Saudi Arabia getting nukes in exchange for 'cash.'

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want Trumpto testify before congress. Give the man as much air time as possible, he's doing the inquiries job for them at this point.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So basically politicians are cowards which is why everyone wants to do everything unanimously all the time so that they don't have to explain why they didn't do what everybody else did. This is part of the reason that Democrats were so hesitant to come out for impeachment. Nobody wanted to stick their neck out there until those 5 or 6 freshman congresspeople from swing districts got together and penned that OpEd in the Post about supporting impeachment. They only did it because they did it together. If (and that's a big "if") the GOP is gonna begin to turn on Trump, it will be because a bunch of more moderate Reps or Senators (i.e. those who risk getting their asses beat at the polls next year) got together and put out a statement. If that happened, others would join them. And then the knives would come out and the GOP would be reduced to civil war.

Do I think this is likely to happen? Absolutely not. But if it was going to, that's how.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I truly do not know how this is gonna end. To the very end this presidency has been full of "I dont have a loving clue" moments.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rigel posted:

I think I heard that the anonymous whistleblower (through his lawyers) has started a legal defense fund under the assumption that someone will leak his identity once he talks to congress in secret and Trump sends his lawyers after him.

Also under the assumption that the dude's career in public service is effectively over. They will forever be a pariah.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mod sassinator posted:

I'm kind of horrified to think just how far back it goes. Like, the entire Arab spring... would be fascinating to go back and see what was the Russian twitter bot army doing back then.

I think Arab Spring social media stuff was us

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Popete posted:

I want Trumpto testify before congress. Give the man as much air time as possible, he's doing the inquiries job for them at this point.

Guiliani would be better. He would last literally until he sees the broadcasting light on the cameras to start talking about all the crimes.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm sure that once the server is subpoena'd Republicans will complain that Democrats are hypocrites who don't want to find buttery mail and that classified information shouldn't be investigated but blah blah, keep them on the defensive. The more they sputter and cry to distract from "Donny abuses American soft power to extort foreign governments for personal gain example 15" the worse they all look.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Phobic Nest posted:

I picture Trump's internal life to be more like Cooking Mama. Every action in his life takes less than a minute and then in his head he hears, "Perfect! Even better than Obama!"

Yes, every action.

Man, those soup making sections are rough. It's a real trick to not burn one or more ingredients.

Trump is self-destructing so spectacularly it's like Schiff called him a Laputan Machine or something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Retro42 posted:

Guiliani would be better. He would last literally until he sees the broadcasting light on the cameras to start talking about all the crimes.

Better yet hold testimonies of both of them at the same time shown side by side but they are in separate rooms. Watch them both come up with competing stories and blaming each other.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Popete posted:

If Trump expressed even the slightest interest, Trump's lawyer would close the oval office door and chain himself to it until Trump promised not to testify.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm sure that once the server is subpoena'd ....
Do we know it will be? Have any Democratic Reps said anything about it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OAquinas posted:

Trump is self-destructing so spectacularly it's like Schiff called him a Laputan Machine or something.

What not a shame.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Crows Turn Off posted:

I don't know if it will or not but "this isn't the first time we've abused the classified server" is such a salacious lead I can't imagine they'd ignore it either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mahoning posted:

So basically politicians are cowards which is why everyone wants to do everything unanimously all the time so that they don't have to explain why they didn't do what everybody else did. This is part of the reason that Democrats were so hesitant to come out for impeachment. Nobody wanted to stick their neck out there until those 5 or 6 freshman congresspeople from swing districts got together and penned that OpEd in the Post about supporting impeachment. They only did it because they did it together. If (and that's a big "if") the GOP is gonna begin to turn on Trump, it will be because a bunch of more moderate Reps or Senators (i.e. those who risk getting their asses beat at the polls next year) got together and put out a statement. If that happened, others would join them. And then the knives would come out and the GOP would be reduced to civil war.

Do I think this is likely to happen? Absolutely not. But if it was going to, that's how.

who knows. i think there are enough "moderates" and opertonist republicans in various colored areas who will stab trump in the back the second poo poo gets excusably bad enough.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I truly do not know how this is gonna end. To the very end this presidency has been full of "I dont have a loving clue" moments.

Presidential authority has always been super exploitable and you'd think after Nixon, or Reagan, or Bush Jr we would have learned our lesson and started trying to reform some of those exploits but nope. Everything is custom, protocol, pinky swear level bullshit and even now nobody says a word about reform.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I for one am impressed that the trump administration decided that a mycrimes.txt wasn't enough, they needed an entire mycrimes server

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

skylined! posted:

Also under the assumption that the dude's career in public service is effectively over. They will forever be a pariah.

They will do A-OK selling the rights to their story to Amazon/Netflix/Apple/etc. The media companies are in a frenzy right now buying up movies and TV shows left and right. The rights to Friends sold for $100m just recently. It wouldn't shock me to see this person's story sell for at least that much, especially if it leads to the unraveling of the entire Trump presidency. That's the kind of documentary or dramatization that wins an academy award when done well.

Now that's not to say the whistleblower isn't in for a hell of a few months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't know if it will or not but "this isn't the first time we've abused the classified server" is such a salacious lead I can't imagine they'd ignore it either.

yeah, if they get the server, they will get the rest of the insane poo poo he buried.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Schiff and others talked about it in the hearing, and Schiff smells blood so I doubt he is just going to leave that alone.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Where is "this isn't the first time we've abused the classified server" from?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I for one am impressed that the trump administration decided that a mycrimes.txt wasn't enough, they needed an entire mycrimes server

It's a mycrimes server where every document creation, view and edit is recorded and audited. They classified this poo poo at the level literally used for stuff like "We have a spy in Pyongyang, his name is Clutch Volvo, his social security number is 111-22-3333, his full report is as follows..."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is the best revelation to me

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah don jr is a pipeline for the dumbest twitter accounts to his dad.

Welp, that's the peak for Smug, never gonna top this one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm sure they are wiping that server with so many cloths right now.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
will no one rid me of this turbulent... cia agent?

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1177280213497131009

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
I'm going to take a wild rear end guess that the whistleblower is Bolton or someone connected to him.

Edited to add: Welp. Already wrong.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin/status/1177280899987038208

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pundit Nate has a decent take I hadn't thought of (though he calls himself only a "replacement-level pundit".

The GOP's main argument to defend Trump is there is no quid pro quo here, so who cares, this is no big deal. Pundit Nate thinks the voters won't give a drat about the quid pro quo argument, and just simply focus in on "Trump implored Ukraine to investigate one of his top 2020 political rivals."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/if-this-is-trumps-best-case-the-ukraine-scandal-is-looking-really-bad-for-him/

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
e: misread

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ShuckyDucky posted:

I'm going to take a wild rear end guess that the whistleblower is Bolton or someone connected to him.

Edited to add: Welp. Already wrong.

lol your timing was exceptional

This is all nuts.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mod sassinator posted:

They will do A-OK selling the rights to their story to Amazon/Netflix/Apple/etc. The media companies are in a frenzy right now buying up movies and TV shows left and right. The rights to Friends sold for $100m just recently. It wouldn't shock me to see this person's story sell for at least that much, especially if it leads to the unraveling of the entire Trump presidency. That's the kind of documentary or dramatization that wins an academy award when done well.

Now that's not to say the whistleblower isn't in for a hell of a few months.

In the meantime he'll need some cash to live on, because his identity will definitely be public within a week.

edit deleted because we don't need three of them

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

hidden_msg posted:

Where is "this isn't the first time we've abused the classified server" from?

Second to last page of the complaint.

"According to White House Officials I spoke with, this was "not the first time" under this Administration that a Presidential transcript was placed into this codeword-level system solely for the purpose of protecting politically sensitive- rather than national security sensitive- information"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Keep talking poo poo about the intelligence community Don, no way that will backfire

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Its me, you guys. I'm the whistleblower. I'm LemonParty.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CIA...good?????????

(no it's not but this guy can go against the wall last I guess)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

JehovahsWetness posted:

will no one rid me of this turbulent... cia agent?

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1177280213497131009
Countdown to Fox News et al running with the DEEP STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! narrative...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

quote:

I want to know who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information because that’s close to a spy,” Mr. Trump said, according to the New York Times. “You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart with spies and treason, right? We used to handle it a little differently than we do now.

He's going full Queen of Hearts off with their heads.