Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'd love to see the CIA tell Trump to take a hike when he demands the whistle blower be fired. Not out of any sense of ideals but just because Trump has poo poo on them so much they want him gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

kinda curious if trump will just try to purge the CIA now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Whistle blower or not, if the times already knows this much about him, his identity will be out by the end of the day.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

kinda curious if trump will just try to purge the CIA now.

Or, in his rage, he'll demand Haspel's resignation

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Did Trump take questions outside the chopper? Usually they'd have shown that by now.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

Pundit Nate has a decent take I hadn't thought of (though he calls himself only a "replacement-level pundit".

The GOP's main argument to defend Trump is there is no quid pro quo here, so who cares, this is no big deal. Pundit Nate thinks the voters won't give a drat about the quid pro quo argument, and just simply focus in on "Trump implored Ukraine to investigate one of his top 2020 political rivals."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/if-this-is-trumps-best-case-the-ukraine-scandal-is-looking-really-bad-for-him/

The thing that makes this crime so different from other crimes in the minds of the American public is that although the average American genuinely struggles to understand what something like gerrymandering is or what fits the legal definition of obstruction of justice- the average American understands quite well how a mob shakedown works.

For not the first time our cultures obsession with producing fiction based around the lives of mobsters is paying dividends.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Did Trump take questions outside the chopper? Usually they'd have shown that by now.

He did not. He allegedly did a fist pump and walked in a long circle to avoid the reporters

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No, I think I read in the C-Spam thread that he just mouthed 'thank you' to the press and went on his way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Angry_Ed posted:

Or, in his rage, he'll demand Haspel's resignation

yeah. my stupid hunch is trump will demand his head, haspel will say no, and trump will pull a saturday night massacare.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Whistle blower or not, if the times already knows this much about him, his identity will be out by the end of the day.

They are just guessing, but it''s an obvious guess. The whole complaint screams "I know this poo poo inside and out, but holy hell this is bad"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He did not. He allegedly did a fist pump and walked in a long circle to avoid the reporters

God drat, it must be bad if it mde him do extra walking.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
There's no quid pro quo! Trump just halted all US Security Aid against US foreign policy interests for no reason, I say, as I shrink and transform into a boll of cotton.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
plz give him back his tweeting phone thx

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prester Jane posted:

The thing that makes this crime so different from other crimes in the minds of the American public is that although the average American genuinely struggles to understand what something like gerrymandering is or what fits the legal definition of obstruction of justice- the average American understands quite well how a mob shakedown works.

For not the first time our cultures obsession with producing fiction based around the lives of mobsters is paying dividends.

And this isn't even a good mob shakedown. This is a mob shakedown that would feature in a Naked Gun movie.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Z_Everson/status/1177279555217887232?s=20

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I bet the CIA sure hates being told to carry water for Russian Intelligence / Counter-Intelligence interests.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Retro42 posted:

They are just guessing, but it''s an obvious guess. The whole complaint screams "I know this poo poo inside and out, but holy hell this is bad"

Yeah, when you look at the highly detailed knowledge of the inner workings of Ukraine, you quickly whittle the list down to CIA or State. (Not even the white house, they rely on experts). When you then look at how Trump already cleaned out State and made it essentially a useless body, then its probably a high ranking CIA analyst.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

And this isn't even a good mob shakedown. This is a mob shakedown that would feature in a Naked Gun movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzo3ARomL7Y

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lote posted:

I bet the CIA sure hates being told to carry water for Russian Intelligence / Counter-Intelligence interests.

"They will if they know what's good for them! Or heads will roll!"-President Donald J. Trump, USA Today September 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

drat, I am getting absolutely no work done today with all these trickles of info coming out :(

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I feel like its maybe not a good idea to out the whistleblower with Trump talking about treason and executions and stuff.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FizFashizzle posted:

He's already dead

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ryde posted:

I feel like its maybe not a good idea to out the whistleblower with Trump talking about treason and executions and stuff.

All the more reason to impeach the motherfucker next week.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Not that anyone cares too much about this, but there are specific laws protecting whistleblowers from retaliation that everyone who works at a Federal agency gets told about during their job training.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its me, you guys. I'm the whistleblower. I'm LemonParty.

I prefer TubGirl.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lote posted:

Not that anyone cares too much about this, but there are specific laws protecting whistleblowers from retaliation that everyone who works at a Federal agency gets told about during their job training.

He'll probably eat too much polonium for unknown reasons.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The whistleblower should go by the alias Q.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

quote:

Mr. Trump, returning from New York, resumed his diatribe against Democrats, saying “what these guys are doing, Democrats are doing, to this country is a disgrace.”

“It shouldn’t be allowed. There should be a way of stopping it, maybe legally through the courts,” he continued.

'But why can't all these corrupt judges I helped install stop this impeachment?'
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/us/politics/trump-impeachment.html

e: updated with the ful quote

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Oracle posted:

I prefer TubGirl.

An internet person of discerning taste I see...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We will always be in the debt of the whistleblower known as Cake Farts

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The part of this that amuses me the most is that, by itself, this might have been a bit of a nothingburger (Trump is heavily classifying phone calls, Pubs can just go :rolleyes: and say yeah the President can do that and Dems are playing politics)... but then El Trumpo just had to release his own version of how the call went, which already reads like impeachable conduct itself. So now at this point, while it's not quite Clancy-level, the whole thing has the utterly scintillating whiff of airport-bookstore-thriller around it - if this is what Trump is willing to say happened, with many obvious redactions, what on Earth is actually on the server? What kind of mob shakedown shenanigans has he engaged in that we don't know about?

Schiff and Pelosi are right to focus on the server and on the Ukraine stuff because it's just like we talked about last night - it's going to play out like utterly riveting TV each week for voters.

(Ultimately I'm immensely relieved that the worst Clancy fantasies turned out to be false, though. At least so far :tinfoil: )

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Someone should tell Trump he can stop the impeachment very quickly by just stepping down.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Lote posted:

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1177284717114208258?s=20

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1177270685716164608?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It was posted upthread but here's a tweet and a sad picture

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1177273964080635906?s=20

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Guess he didn’t want to tell us about that amazing new trade deal with Japan then

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177285017636093953?s=20

I believe he is what the youths call "shook AF."

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

It was posted upthread but here's a tweet and a sad picture

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1177273964080635906?s=20

His suffering causes me physical joy. The schadenfreude is real.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/samdolnick/status/1177267758276448256

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Oh cool, they want to unmask the person and allow for mob violence as soon as possible. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes the known bias of "being informed"