Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

How exactly do you intend to end austerity if we're dealing with the aftermath of a no deal brexit and all the poo poo that comes with it?

it's called a Labour government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Julio Cruz posted:

so vote for the Lib Dems who might kill thousands through austerity but that's fine because they won't kill thousands through No Deal

completely consistent, see

Of course it is. They aren't going to set policy but have the power to stop bad policy.

To believe the former you have to believe they'd go into coalition with a no deal tory party which I don't.

It's like saying you should have voted Green in 2015 because Milliband voted against investigations into Iraq and the PLP as it stood was still complicit in the war.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'll be voting Labour and trying to convince my parents to vote Libdem because they're the least bad option I have any hope of persuading them to pick

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Of course it is. They aren't going to set policy but have the power to stop bad policy.

To believe the former you have to believe they'd go into coalition with a no deal tory party which I don't.

It's like saying you should have voted Green in 2015 because Milliband voted against investigations into Iraq and the PLP as it stood was still complicit in the war.

remind me again how their power to stop bad policy worked out last time

and yeah, I think there are a lot of us ITT who didn't vote Labour in 2015 because their tactic was "Tory policies but look a bit sad about it"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Natural 20 posted:

They aren't going to set policy but have the power to stop bad policy.

We literally just went through 5 years where they helped the Tories to enact crushing austerity which caused 10s of thousands of extra deaths and set the path for Brexit.

Natural 20 posted:

I didn't think they'd go into coalition with the Tories in 2010 but they did. They are first and foremost opportunists. They don't give a gently caress about Brexit. They have no ideological opposition to it, they have no ideologies, which makes it all the easier to throw their policies out the window when an opportunity for a ministerial car makes itself available. They just saw an opportunity to grab votes by placing themselves in a position nobody else was at the time.

Natural 20 posted:

Nah.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Ahh yeah I see it is there in the local section but on the news they're literally talking about Jess Phillip's question in parliament but just aren't mentioning the attack at all. It seems like it would be a highly relevant thing to mention, I just don't understand why they aren't? I realise this probably is naive and that this might be form for the BBC but it just seems bizarre.

Probably just waiting to see some more corroborating sources, you know, because it's Jess Phillips.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1177267716769624065

:stare:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Waiting for Laura K to point out the man is a Labour Activist, and an MP no less.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bump_fn posted:

and cats are good

Do you have pictorial evidence to back up this outrageous claim? Please post all of them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Natural 20 posted:

It is a completely consistent stance for me to say Austerity was bad, wrong and anyone who seeks to pursue it again is genuinely wrong, whilst also saying that a no deal Brexit would cause similar if not worse effects.irresponsible.
Austerity killed more people than even the most pessimistic Brexit predictions

Also I just got a present in the post from a blackout drunk past version of me to say sorry for the hangover :3:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think recent politics are making the slightly troubling Bolshevik in me come out more and more because I think that no matter the legal consequences smashing Dominic Cummings in the jaw would have been the correct course of action right there in pretty much every way

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

But they won't. That's the problem.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

Also I just got a present in the post from a blackout drunk past version of me to say sorry for the hangover :3:

Wish is amazing for drunk shopping because the couple of weeks delay makes it a genuine surprise. I've just received a harmonica and a tin of plectrums from a me that wasn't even drunk but was just talking about Wish to someone.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Julio Cruz posted:

remind me again how their power to stop bad policy worked out last time

and yeah, I think there are a lot of us ITT who didn't vote Labour in 2015 because their tactic was "Tory policies but look a bit sad about it"

Then your desire for ideological purity has led to a literal Nazi being leader of the House of Commons.

That you're happy to admit that is the difference between us and I don't think it's reconcilable.

And you know what, fair enough. Happy to leave it there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Then your desire for ideological purity has led to a literal Nazi being leader of the House of Commons.

That you're happy to admit that is the difference between us and I don't think it's reconcilable.

you....you realise there's been an election since 2015, right? right??

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the “millennial can’t buy a house because they’ve spared it all on avocados” genre of newspaper article’s taken a fun twist

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/26/save-28-year-old-account-manager-spending-cash-cocaine-croissants-10810387/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Though she did cop poo poo for saying that many people thought Rod Liddle was racist.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

I think recent politics are making the slightly troubling Bolshevik in me come out more and more because I think that no matter the legal consequences smashing Dominic Cummings in the jaw would have been the correct course of action right there in pretty much every way
embrace this aspect of yourself

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Natural 20 posted:

Hi just to let you know that the lib dems, for all their screeching, will happily enable a no deal brexit because either 1. They won't support a Corbyn government to prevent it or 2. They'll throw their principles out the window if bojo offers them some nice ministerial spots.

Voting lib dem is the same as voting Tory because lib dems are just Tories who read Harry potter too much and don't feel comfortable identifying as syltherin while larping

I'd enjoy watching the fubpees learn the lesson students did in 2010 though tbf.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Please keep your liberal bad-faith whining about "ideological purity" confined to yank politics, tia.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

A lot has happened this month hey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIatIyvAvj0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDvvcudvdQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNNTR3iAqw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyFc8cr1xyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMC1SsKhIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaN-MbGV4dY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hu-14z-zQ

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Even if the Lib Dems manage to get Boris booted out as leader does anything think the successor is going to get a better deal than Mays Withdrawal?

Really by every angle Labour deals or Labour remain offer better outcomes that the Tory versions, it's a no brainer to prefer them under all circumstances.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Natural 20 posted:

Hang on a moment, don't minor partners in governance usually have more say because they can effectively hold bigger parties to ransom by going "do things our way or perish". It is either incompetence or malice that made the coalition as bad as it was, so which is it?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

^^^por que no los dos?

Natural 20 posted:

How many Lib Dem seats went blue in 2017

wtf was that post

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

the “millennial can’t buy a house because they’ve spared it all on avocados” genre of newspaper article’s taken a fun twist

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/26/save-28-year-old-account-manager-spending-cash-cocaine-croissants-10810387/

Wow that website is painfully aggressive with their ads. Add us to your homepage! Give us your cookies! Are you sure you don't want our cookies?? [NO] [yes]

(Also we're going to sneak a Facebook and twitter link into anything you copy to your clipboard)

Here's the article:

How I Save: The 28-year-old account manager spending cash on cocaine and croissants

quote:

In our weekly series, How I Save, we usually learn from the scrimping of experienced savers. Or we’re reminded that the key to saving money seems to be, well, earning a lot of money. This week’s edition is a little different, in that it’s a lesson in what not to do.

We really appreciate Lianne being completely honest about the reality of her spending (on the condition of anonymity, so Lianne isn’t her real name), but it’s important to note that alongside the usual not-so-responsible purchases of takeaway coffees and croissants, she also spaffs quite a bit of her income on cocaine. As cocaine is illegal and possession can land you seven years in prison, that’s not an approach to budgeting we can recommend. So, as you read through this week’s diary of spending and saving, remember that even if Lianne has got more money saved than you do, she’s not exactly a shining example to follow. Don’t worry, we checked she was okay with us saying that. On we go.

How Lianne saves: I’m a 28 year-old account manager living in London and earning £55,000 a year. In my savings account right now I have £7,860. I’ve saved this much money by getting money from my grandparents. I’m notoriously bad at saving because I spend money the second I have it in my account. But once a year my grandparents give me a cheque for £1,000 that I just put in a separate account and try to forget about. I do end up dipping in there when I go into my overdraft, but try to replace the money I take from there the next payday.

I don’t know what I’m saving for. I’ve given up on being able to buy a house and honestly I don’t care about owning anymore. I know it’s supposed to be important but I could end up moving to Dubai or Australia anyway, so it’s better to not be tied down. I’d like to have some money saved for security. If I lost my job suddenly I want enough money to live on while I sort out a new job, or say if I needed to suddenly buy a new laptop or TV, I’d like to be able to do that without panicking.

I’ve been with my boyfriend for three years now, too, so I imagine one day we’ll need money for a wedding. The main way I save is trying to move £1,000 over to my savings account each month, then taking it back into my current account if I end up needing it. I always do. I struggle with saving because I’m impulsive and I’d rather spend and have fun now than save for the future. If I see I have money in my account I just want to spend it all.

How Lianne spends:

Monthly expenses:
£850 for rent and bills into a joint account with my boyfriend
£70 for phone contract
£69 gym

A week of spending:

Monday: I bike to work so no money spent on travel, then pick up a flat white once I’ve chained up my bike. That costs £2.50. I’ve brought in leftover spag bol for lunch and on the way home I get the basics for a week of shopping, £44. I drop everything home then go to the gym for a quick workout.

Tuesday: Uber in because I overslept and can’t be bothered to cycle – £17. I grab lunch from Pret for £4.25. I’m meeting uni friends for drinks so I pick up 5g of coke for £250 beforehand. I don’t do this every week, just if I know I’m going out or I’m feeling stressed. If I do pick up, I get more than I’ll need because I hate meeting dealers and would rather just do it in one go. I don’t keep track of my drinks and we do rounds, but looking at my online banking I can see two payments for £6, one for £23, and one for £17.

Wednesday: Cycle in, grab a croissant and a flat white (£4.20). For lunch I grab another Pret sandwich, £4.25. I grab a £9 bottle of wine for my me and my boyfriend to share after work, plus some fresh pasta and sauce (£3.15). We were meant to make a casserole thing so that I could have it for lunch but I’m feeling lazy.

Thursday: Bike in, flat white (£2.50). Everyone’s doing a night out post-work and I look like poo poo, so I do a quick shopping trip at lunch to get a new outfit. I find a dress for 20% at Whistles, so that’s £119.20. Lunch is a sandwich, £3.59. I take it pretty easy money-wise at drinks, just getting a few wines – my online banking says three goes of £6. I do some lines which means I don’t need as many drinks to be on form.

Friday: Feeling rough so I take in an Uber (£16.80) then grab a croissant and a flat white (£4.20). Lunchtime I get a £10 deal for burger, drink, and chips. Dinner I successfully make from that weekly shop, so no extra money spent there.

Saturday: We go for brunch, split down the middle so £14.29 each. Heading to a farmers market costs £1.50 on the bus, then I get a nice candle for £8 and some bread for £2. We have that casserole I was meant to make earlier in the week, watch a film at home, and go to sleep.

Sunday: Whole day spent at home grazing on stuff left in the fridge, so only thing spent is £48 on a weekly shop (including cleaning stuff and toiletries). Total spent this week: £638.43

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wow that website is painfully aggressive with their ads. Add us to your homepage! Give us your cookies! Are you sure you don't want our cookies?? [NO] [yes]

(Also we're going to sneak a Facebook and twitter link into anything you copy to your clipboard)

Here's the article:

How I Save: The 28-year-old account manager spending cash on cocaine and croissants

Worst part is she's doing the weekly shop twice a week. That's not how a weekly shop works.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Cerv posted:

Do they ever interview someone on an ordinary salary or is it always those on 2-3 times the national average? I know it's London, but still...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wait why would coke help deal with stress? :stare:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
loving hell.

I suddenly understand one of my mates who "can't save money" despite her being on a stupid amount of coin per week.

This week I have spent 1.80 thus far and am going to go and do a food shop tonight for about 20.00 that will last till this coming monday. How the gently caress does it work out?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Buying in 5gs for Tuesday night drinks, then spending Saturday at home? drat son

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Clarence posted:

Do they ever interview someone on an ordinary salary or is it always those on 2-3 times the national average? I know it's London, but still...

it's either that or people on normalish salary who just happened to get a very large sum of money from relatives sometimes both

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

There is no constitutional requirement that the PM be an MP.

That may be true but I suspect there is probably a rule that says the leader of the conservative party has to be.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

She may possibly have some undiagnosed manic condition. I remember Stephen Fry talking about how cocaine would calm him down when he was manic - I think that's the idea behind giving stimulants to people with ADHD.

(disclaimer: I am in no way qualified to make a diagnosis with any sort of authority)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I spend around 15 euros on food per day because 90% of the time I have no energy to cook. Nice to know even so I have over 10 times the savings this person has.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Julio Cruz posted:

it's called a Labour government

:colbert:

some good cats in here recently, I like the finland tree cats being all active and healthy in The Nature

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

The most pessimistic Brexit predictions, which are the ones for the no deal/no prep that Boris is now aiming for, have at least half a million dead by January 31st.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She only appears to have made two meals from that £44 "weekly shop" so I want to know what the hell she puts in a casserole?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jollity Farm posted:

She may possibly have some undiagnosed manic condition. I remember Stephen Fry talking about how cocaine would calm him down when he was manic - I think that's the idea behind giving stimulants to people with ADHD.

(disclaimer: I am in no way qualified to make a diagnosis with any sort of authority)

Ritalin is not too different to coke j think in how it affects the brain but I could be wrong

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Natural 20 posted:

Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut up you liberal twat. It's not "ideological purity" to think policies matter in politics. That electing representatives who work against your material interests.

Besides, my ideology is far closer to a complete refusal to engage in liberal democracy than it is to the Labour Party line. I find compromises I am comfortable with because I think accelerationism is catastrophic for the working poor, and that while in the long-term parliamentary democracy is no route to socialism it would be too cruel to not engage in it to moderate the worst excesses of capitalism, liberalism and reaction. My willingness to vote for and work with the Labour Party is entirely the opposite of ideological purity, it boils my piss to share a political party with people who voted for the Iraq War & continue to regard it as the correct decision, who supported a hands-off policy in regards to bank regulation, Thatcherites in red ties. But i compromise where I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

:colbert:

some good cats in here recently, I like the finland tree cats being all active and healthy in The Nature

this one is a climber rather than a jumper

https://gfycat.com/wigglyadorabledavidstiger