Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://makingstarwars.net/2019/09/huge-spoilers-the-money-shot-of-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-and-more/

quote:

Empire Empirical – I’ve seen some Sith
I am ready talk a bit more about what I know about the final confrontation in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and what my sources have described as “the money shot” of the film. Having seen the shot, I can’t say I disagree with them. Some of this has been discussed in a previous piece about Palpatine’s clothes. Obviously, a depiction is never as rad as the real thing, so make sure that is taken into account before becoming too judgmental about the moment described. I do not believe this moment will be seen before the film is released in trailers or anywhere else pre-release.

This shot requires a lot of exposition and spoilers from The Rise of Skywalker.

A McQuarrie La-Z-Boy Game of Thrones
The climax of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker culminates with Rey confronting the Emperor on his stone thorny throne. The high backed chair of the throne is essentially the throne Ralph McQuarrie designed for Return of the Jedi. However, the throne is surrounded by four giant stone thorns on each side of throne with two smaller “thorns” near the Emperor’s arm rests. The seat is four or five steps high. It appears to have tiny red lights on a few of the throne’s “thorns.”

Darth Sidious dresses for the job he wants, not the job he has.
Darth Sidious, former Emperor of the Galactic Empire sits upon this throne after Ben Solo has died. But before Ben’s death, Darth Sidious has channeled the Force through Rey and Ben and rejuvenated himself to his former Revenge of the Sith youth, looking as he did when he declared himself Emperor after eradicating the Jedi Order several decades before in Revenge of the Sith.

The rejuvenated Darth Sidious appears in The Rise of Skywalker wearing a red/burgundy robe with a black hooded tunic over the robes. His waist is tied with a black belt with a silver buckle on it with a red light, offset to the righthand side. It is my personal opinion that this may be Palpatine’s best costume in The Skywalker Saga. The black tunic is like Darth Vader’s or Luke Skywalker’s Return of the Jedi costume but the “skirt” flows down to his feet.

Ben Solo’s fate?
The final confrontation of the Skywalker Saga takes place on the dead world of Exogol. Darth Sidious has thrown Ben Solo into the abyss. I have heard Ben falls into the mist, much like Han Solo’s death in The Force Awakens and it visually rhymes. I believe this happens after Rey and Ben are drained by Darth Sidious. In the end, Rey weakened and seemingly alone for the final confrontation.

If Ben is resurrected, sources are not aware of it. That said, how many characters have fallen to their deaths in Star Wars and stayed gone? Hell, even Harrison Ford returns in this movie after his death in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Darth Maul survived with little on screen explanation. Luke Skywalker fell on Bespin, it wasn’t pleasant but he was okay. Palpatine got tossed into a pit by Darth Vader and he apparently turns up in this film as an old shriveled up version of Sidious in a bed.

I theorize that when Rey is rejuvenated to face Palpatine, Ben Solo may be the power from the “other side” that helps Rey in the end. But as of now that is conjecture on my part.
The Money Shot’s Setup
The rejuvenated Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, projects Sith lightning into the heavens above from his fingertips believing Rey to be incapacitated. Rey, however, is revitalized by the Jedi who lived before her for the final confrontation with Palpatine. She slowly begins to rise as Palpatine zaps the Resistance fleet with his torrent of lightning.

Above the dead planet, the Resistance fleet and the First Order’s Sith fleet are about to clash. The blasts of lightning from Darth Sidious’ fingertips into the sky above acts as supernatural EMP that causes the Resistance fleet to essentially short out and float dead in the “waters” of space, making it vulnerable to the Sith fleet. It appears in that moment that all is lost.

Darth Sidious is ready to retake his place as Galactic Emperor when Rey interrupts the Sith’s victory and stands before her grandfather.

The restored Rey catches Darth Sidious’ attention and he is forced to stop his stream of Sith lightning. The Resistance fleet recovers, powers back on, and the fight against Sith fleet above Exogol ensues. Rey buys the fleet just enough time for the Millennium Falcon to show up with reinforcements for the final epic space battle.

Just as Darth Sidious lowers his hands and stops attacking the fleet above. The Sith Lord looks to Rey and angrily blasts his lightning towards his granddaughter. Rey ignites Leia and Anakin Skywalker’s lightsabers and deflects her grandfather’s attack.
That's so amazing! Who would have predicted that JJ Abrams would follow p his A New Hope remake with a Return of the Jedi?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

At least the script might be coherent

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was infinity war 2 coherent.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

Never saw it

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Literally every leak sounds terrible.

I don't super believe this one though because it entirely ignores Doctor Who guy as Palpatine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It has time travel and multiple universes and no one can figure out what a main character was doing or did.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

euphronius posted:

It has time travel and multiple universes and no one can figure out what a main character was doing or did.

I can't wait to be dead

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The potential return of Unlimited Power™?

Neat.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I believe this leak because "Force Lightning, but bigger" sounds like it came from the same brain as "the Death Star, but bigger".

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just an old man shooting lightning at the sky, having the best time of his life

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
makingstarwars can eat a million dicks

Nothing from there is believable or even rational. This is what happens when you register a domain and have a little success with such a narrow topic: eventually the well runs dry and instead of packing it in until they actually get a legit scoop, they just make poo poo up.

You can tell it's fake as gently caress because of how they use "ACCORDING TO MY SOURCES" -- it means they're just less confident in their lovely fanfic writing for that particular paragraph or w/e.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

just an old man shooting lightning at the sky, having the best time of his life

Same energy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Same energy

and just like kotm this is gonna be a pile of poo poo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

Yes?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Stairmaster posted:

and just like kotm this is gonna be a pile of poo poo

KOTM is a lot like TFA in that it lives and dies on the basis of fan-service.

Turns out it's a lot harder to turn a profit on Godzilla fan-service than Star Wars :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really liked it and it was coherent in the sense the story was related to the audience but if you pick it apart like how Star Wars fans pick apart the sequels it def does not end up being Coherent

Which is fine for me.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I enjoyed Infinity War infinitely more than any recent Star War, and I don’t like superhero movies. The plot was easy to follow and made sense, plying by its own rules well enough that nothing was jarring.

Every spoiler I read makes Ep9 worse, just like every new Star Wars makes Star Wars worse.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vinylshadow posted:

Same energy

In the future discourse around Star Wars movies will be all about whether there was too much or not enough Sheev in them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Sheev is out there standing atop a cliff with waves crashing everywhere, shooting random lightning bolts into the sky like goddamn Mickey Mouse at the end of Fantasia.

Befitting of a space wizard.

C O R P O R A T E

S Y N E R G Y

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

I hope Sheev is out there standing atop a cliff with waves crashing everywhere, shooting random lightning bolts into the sky like goddamn Mickey Mouse at the end of Fantasia.

Befitting of a space wizard.

C O R P O R A T E

S Y N E R G Y

And at the end, Rey cut off Palpatine's face, revealing that it was a mask for Mickey Mouse all along.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Necrotizer F posted:

And at the end, Rey cut off Palpatine's face, revealing that it was a mask for Mickey Mouse all along.

The ending of the The Prisoner.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

porfiria posted:

The ending of the The Prisoner.

All you need is love

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how the Knights of Ren have axes and poo poo but are not allowed to have lightsabers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

C3PO with the bolt caster is super cool and not dumb at all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how the Knights of Ren have axes and poo poo but are not allowed to have lightsabers

Kylo Ren didn't want any competition for his title

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I kind of thought the knights of ren were like dark Jedi or some other kind of force acolytes who followed Kylo away from Luke

but apparently they’re just tough storm troopers?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mandrel posted:

I kind of thought the knights of ren were like dark Jedi or some other kind of force acolytes who followed Kylo away from Luke

but apparently they’re just tough storm troopers?
I don’t understand why they are even in this movie. They were mentioned offhand in TFA but they never established what their deal is

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

They really did go with the C-3PX assassin droid route for Threepio. Haha, oh wow.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're going to introduce way to many new "important" people in this movie aren't they?
Marketing!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The Knights of Ren look like mad max rejects

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wait what

https://twitter.com/vengefulwalnut/status/1178030671215771648?s=21

Reminder that galaxys edge is at least hypothetically part of canon

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Knights of Ren were great in Hobo with a Shotgun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

They're going to introduce way to many new "important" people in this movie aren't they?
Marketing!
Yes so far we have the Knights of Ren, this Jennah woman, the Keri Russell bounty hunter character, another First Order general played by Richard E Grant, and also Dominic Monaghan has an unknown role.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

On the right we have: Maybe like 5% of the First Order's forces
One the left we have: The entirety of the Resistance

Who will win? Tune in to find out!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
ACT III

[Ahch-To]

Following her experience on the Death Star, Rey returns to the island on Ahch-to. Throughout the course of the film she has given in to her aggression, nearly killed her friend by unleashing a stream of lightning on a ship, learned that she is the descendant of the Sith Lord who reduced the Jedi to numbers that they have yet to recover from even half a century later, saw a vision of herself as a servant of darkness and stabbed her enemy through the chest in anger. Her most recent encounter with Kylo was the last straw and Rey has now made the decision to follow the example set by Luke and exile herself on the island where the Jedi began. Rey scuttles the ship she stole from Kylo and throws the repaired lightsaber originally constructed by Anakin Skywalker in after it. A ghostly hand snatches the lightsaber out of thin air as it's being thrown. It's Luke Skywalker. Luke’s conversation with Rey is said to be encouraging yet realistically grim in tone. Luke knows first hand what it’s like to face Palpatine and that it’s not an easy task. Rey must confront Palpatine in the same way that Luke once had to confront Vader. Luke encourages Rey by telling her of the faith Leia had in her. She saw the potential within her and hoped that Rey would be able to restore balance to the Force once more just as Anakin once did. Rey supposedly asks to speak to Leia at one point, but Luke responds by telling her that Leia has not yet completed her training and he can not yet feel her distinctive consciousness within the Force. By the end of their conversation, Rey is reenergized for the seemingly insurmountable task that lies ahead of her and agrees to leave the island. Having destroyed the ship she used to come to Ahch-to, Luke raises his own X-wing (previously seen submerged in the coves of the island) to allow Rey to face Palpatine. In addition to the starfighter, Luke gifts Rey with a lightsaber that once belonged to Leia. He tells her how Leia left her saber with Luke when she stopped training and Luke kept it on him. He then points Rey to where he kept it safe in his hut. Rey boards the X-wing, armed with the coordinates for Palpatine’s location obtained from Vader’s wayfinder and leaves the planet.

[The Resistance’s Jungle Base]

After returning to the jungle base, several things happen. After seeing the sacrifice made by 3PO, R2 reveals that he has a backup of C-3PO’s memories in his archives and is able to restore the droid to a mostly whole state. My sources believe this backup memory to have been created sometime around the time of The Force Awakens. It’s an older C-3PO, but it’s better than no 3PO at all. Lando reenters the story, having changed his mind, coming to the Jungle Base and wanting to help however he can. It is at this time that Rey begins transmitting coordinates into the Unknown Regions obtained from the wayfinder to the Resistance. The Resistance mobilizes, readying themselves for the impending conflict.

[The Unknown Regions- Exogol]

Rey follows the coordinates found in the wayfinder to the same spot Kylo did earlier in the film. Rey lands outside the giant cube floating above the ground and makes her way through the same underground passages. The cube, composed of black rock, floats several meters above the ground and is so massive that one corner can not be seen in frame when the camera is at another. As Rey travels down into the depths of the planet, giant Sith statues can be seen. Where Rey and Kylo’s experiences begin to differ come in with where Rey discovers Palpatine. Palpatine is not in the same chamber that Kylo discovered him in, but in a huge arena, surrounded by Sith loyalists in dark cloaks in the grandstands. Palpatine is being supported by some kind of mechanical arm, possibly connecting him to life support machinery. Rey begins to confront Palpatine. During this conversation Sideous reportedly confirms Rey’s lineage and goads her on to take up a lightsaber and strike him down (very much like how he encouraged Luke to do the same thing 30 years prior), telling her that only in killing him will she gain the power needed to save her friends. Palpatine also apparently makes statements alluding to the belief that Vader could not betray Luke due to their familial bond and that same kind of bond would ultimately cause Rey to do what the Emperor wishes. During his taunts, the sickly Sith opens the roof of the stadium chamber revealing that the sky above is filled with Star Destroyers soon to be embroiled in conflict with the approaching Resistance. As the battle between the First Order/Empire and the Resistance begins to rage in the skies above them, Rey gives into the Emperor’s commands and decides to strike him down.

Through means that are still a bit foggy to me, Ben Solo was able to leave the wreckage of the Death Star and his former persona behind and travel to Exogol with the purpose of joining Rey to help her face down Sidious. Before leaving the Death Star wreckage, Ben abandoned Kylo’s lightsaber so now he’s walking into a warzone with no weapon. When he arrives on the planet, he encounters the Knights of Ren who are guarding the entrance to the arena where Rey and Sidious are. Ben reportedly dispatches each of them using only the Force. After doing this he enters the arena as Rey is about strike the Emperor using Leia’s blade. Ben grabs Anakin’s lightsaber and warns Rey to reconsider what she is about to do, to not kill the Emperor in anger. Seeing Ben arrive pleases Sideous. He then uses his power to bond them together and begins to syphon power from that bond and direct it into himself. As the power flows into him, the once silky and decrepit Palpatine stands tall and strong once again, restoring himself to a much younger, healthier state.

[The Skies over Exogol]

While all this action is happening on the ground, much more explosive events are happening in the sky. The Resistance and the First Order are locked in battle. The details I have on what happens during this branch of the plot are a bit sparse at the moment, but here’s what I have been told. The Resistance arrives and they are confronted with hundreds of Palpatine’s Sith Star Destroyers. Their goal is to take out the flagship of the destroyers, where General Pryde is located. Taking out the flagship will supposedly sever communications with the rest of the fleet and prevent them from being able to navigate the perils of the Unknown Regions. At one point during the battle Finn and Jannah (joined by others, but exactly who is not clear to me right now) land on Pryde’s flagship to destroy it. They recognize this as essentially a suicide mission but Finn and Jannah in particular see the price they may have to pay as wort it to prevent more children from being abducted like they once were. One of my sources described it to me like a D-Day type mission for the Resistence where they attempt to land on to a moving Star Destroyer amidst the battle scene.

Having returned to full strength, Palpatine then shoots lightning into Ben, forcing him to fall into a bottomless abyss, never to be seen again. Sideous then shoots lightning into the sky at Resistance ships. He reportedly continues to make statements about how Rey will join him. In defiance of this, Rey grabs both Anakin’s and Leia’s lightsabers and Palpatine turns his wrath on her. It’s lightsaber vs. lightning at this point and when it seems like all hope is lost for Rey, the spectors of Luke and Leia come to her aid. They jointly work toward overpowering the Emperor, deflecting his lightning back toward himself, killing him and unleashing an explosion powerful enough to make the arena start to crumble around them. Darth Sideous, the last of the Sith Lords, is finally dead. At this same time Finn and Jannah complete their mission and succeed in destroying Pryde’s flagship. The two are prepared to go down with the ship, but are rescued at the last second by the Falcon. Rey escapes the crumbling arena.

[The Resistance’s Jungle Base]

Having won the day, the survivors of the battle regroup at the jungle base and celebrate. What follows is apparently celebration across the galaxy, once again mirroring what is seen at the end of Return of the Jedi.

[Tatooine]

For the end of the film, the heroes then travel to where everything began. The desolate, sandswept planet of Tatooine. Between defeating Sidious and this moment, Rey has disassembled Anakin and Leia’s lightsabers and used their components to construct one of her own that I’m told contains a golden/yellow blade. Rey buries the leftover pieces beneath the Tatooine sands at the site of the Lars homestead. As Rey turns to join Finn, Poe, Jannah, Chewie, R2, 3PO, BB-8 and D-0, a stranger calls out to her. The stranger apparently speaks of how nobody has been seen around this land for a very long time and asks Rey for her name. This is the second time in the film that this question has been posed to her, but unlike her response on Pasaana, Rey has decided who she is. She gives the name Rey Skywalker to the stranger, adopting the name of her masters and revealing the primary meaning of the title of the film. As Rey begins to rejoin her friends, she catches a glimpse of some familiar glowing figures, watching over her. The assembly of heroes look off into the distance at the horizon of the desert planet and watch twin suns set on a universe filled with hope.

The End.

So there you have it. As a reminder, be on the lookout for a reshoot changes and corrections post in the not too distant future.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Seeing Ben arrive pleases Sideous. He then uses his power to bond them together and begins to syphon power from that bond and direct it into himself. As the power flows into him, the once silky and decrepit Palpatine stands tall and strong once again, restoring himself to a much younger, healthier state.

Exclusive on-set footage of this scene; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk&t=45s

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
All of that is dumb.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's 0 chance Ben Solo just drives to the border of movietown never to be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So we’re just doing ROTJ again? I wish I could say I’m surprised.