Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
McDonald's coffee is perfectly OK for cheap coffee on demand. I haven't purchased "food" there in 15 years but if I'm on the road and need a caffeine boost that's where I'll go for it.

Starbucks (more like Charbucks amirite :razz:) coffee is inferior to McDonald's and costs more than twice as much. They're selling a culture a lot more than they're selling coffee or even vaguely coffee-based sugar bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I can't stand energy drinks, even the smell if one spills at work or something is sickening. I tried a V once. That awful sickly sweet artificial flavour, I think even as a kid I would have found it repulsive.

Eric the Mauve posted:

McDonald's coffee is perfectly OK for cheap coffee on demand. I haven't purchased "food" there in 15 years but if I'm on the road and need a caffeine boost that's where I'll go for it.

Starbucks (more like Charbucks amirite :razz:) coffee is inferior to McDonald's and costs more than twice as much. They're selling a culture a lot more than they're selling coffee or even vaguely coffee-based sugar bombs.

McDonald's in Australia decided to go upmarket a few years ago, both in menu and fitout, to compete against gourmet burger chains. The recipes even for classic stuff have always been very different here - the famous example being Mcdonalds fries in the US (long list of mostly unpronounceable ingredients) vs here (potatoes, salt, dextrose) but a few years ago they went nuts with upmarket burgers - truffle mayo with real truffles, wagyu beef patties, etc. They also do table service here.

KFC is still my guilty pleasure of choice though. In my state we have hot and spicy all year round (elsewhere it's a periodic special) I don't know if they do that in the US but unlike original it has a super crunchy crispy coating with a decent hit of spice embedded in it. On Tuesdays you can get 9 pieces for $10, which is a huge saving and makes for a perfect lunch. American restaurants are basically the number 1 fad in Australia at the moment, but KFC still has the best fried chicken in the country I think.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 24, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The only ingredients that the US mcdonalds fries have that the Australian fries don't is "natural beef flavor" and the oil in the US is a blend of canola, corn and soy instead of straight canola.

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate is in the Australian version it's just listed as "preservative" .

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
7-11 coffee for my 'gently caress I don't feel like making coffee today' daily cup.

Starbucks for 'I want to trade seven dollars for 1,500 calories of fat, sugar, and slush right the gently caress now' ( once every six months or so if that ).

The locally owned coffee shop for reasonably priced tea/coffee/drinks-I-don't-want-to-make that taste good and locally baked goods.

I'll break out the locally roasted beans, grinder and clever coffee pour-over thing if I'm feeling extra in the morning, but it turns out ADD and sleep deprivation result in you forgetting you left a pot boiling on the stove and a smoke alarm is a bad way to start a day. OTOH starting the day with a great cup of coffee with a splash of Jameson in it is just a perfect 'I ain't working today, ain't doing errands, gently caress all ya'll' thing.

Iced coffee/cold brew is a favorite of mine, especially since you can get great results from garbage coffee grind, but then I forget to refill it or drink something that's been 'brewing' for two weeks because I forgot about it and the coffee has become so dense that I feel the gravitational pull as it slides down my throat and realize, too late, the depth of my mistake.

Me and coffee have become best of friends since I've been using it to self-medicate things I should have gotten actual medical care for years ago. :911:

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't stand energy drinks, even the smell if one spills at work or something is sickening. I tried a V once. That awful sickly sweet artificial flavour, I think even as a kid I would have found it repulsive.

Some of them are pure sugar. The Mountain Dew ones are basically pure-strain soda syrup straight into your mouth. It tastes like blowing the Stay Puft marsh-mellow man.

I only drink the sugar free ones in the rare event I drink any, these days. I like the medicine taste of Redbull. Bang makes some good flavors despite being sugar-free, and they don't hit your tongue with a sugar-sledge. Some of the sugar-free Rockstars are OK.

Everyone I work with has an energy drink on IV drip. They wonder how I don't, and puzzle when they see me drinking caffeine free soda. Jokes on them; I have adderall motherfuckers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Business, Finance, and Careers > Retail Thread: It tastes like blowing the Stay-Puft marshmallow man

I don't even care that it doesn't make sense. That poo poo is :discourse:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Dunkin' is my coffee stop of choice

Then again, I live in the Boston metro area, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least two.

Also there's one on my way to work, Starbuck's is in the opposite direction, and I have to go past work (and the nearest liquor store) to reach McD's.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Only ever tasted a starbucks coffee once, and that was a from a booth handing out samples of starbucks-branded pod coffee and it was extraordinarily nasty. I mean, I'm no coffee snob -I like aeropress coffee but I'll happily drink instant if that's all there is, but this starbucks stuff was just undrinkably bitter and burned.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Sheetz is my “on the go” coffee of choice

But Starbucks is free for me when I’m working and you find ways to make their espresso and coffee palatable after a bit

Pookah posted:

Only ever tasted a starbucks coffee once, and that was a from a booth handing out samples of starbucks-branded pod coffee and it was extraordinarily nasty. I mean, I'm no coffee snob -I like aeropress coffee but I'll happily drink instant if that's all there is, but this starbucks stuff was just undrinkably bitter and burned.

I have one of those machines. A customer returned it and I broke the water container but it works fine. I use it when I’m making coffee for just myself in the morning.

Believe it or not I’m not a coffee snob, mama just needs caffeine.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 24, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sheetz is probably the worst coffee I have ever spent money on, I'd still pay $1.50 for Sheetz coffee before $3 for Starbucks though

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone ok'd this

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/uWgzs8w.jpg :nms:

Its an entire pallet of this poo poo. Its all so loving rotten, water logged and nasty that

It loving drips. Rotten rear end roma tomato juice seeps through the cardboard boxes and onto the bottom of the pallet

Whats even better? Our warehouse company is fighting tooth and nail to not take this back. I heard my boss get called over the PA system like 5 different times in a small time window. They were the company trying to weasel out of taking this back, insisting we were trying to claim last week's stock as this pallet.

Like. You guys should KNOW we order a new pallet of romas every 2 days. No loving way we managed to fail selling a full pallet of romas the past 3 days, over a loving weekend. They kept insisting and insisting. Thing is, on each pallet there is a sticker that shows what pallet number and when the pallet was sent out and to what store. So my boss took a picture of it and asked "anything else you guys want?"

That is just so loving shady. Sending a full pallet of complete and utter poo poo, someone ok'd that. Someone loving stacked a bunch of rotten, fuzzy, leaky romas onto a pallet and loving sent it out to us.

retail is hell

E: It is so structurally unstable I have wrapped it to hell to try and keep it stable, but I wont be surprised if the cardboard ends up rotting through and this poo poo is a mushy mess on the floor on Thursday when we can finally send it back cause we don't get a truck on Wednesday.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 24, 2019

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I only drink the sugar free ones in the rare event I drink any, these days. I like the medicine taste of Redbull. Bang makes some good flavors despite being sugar-free, and they don't hit your tongue with a sugar-sledge. Some of the sugar-free Rockstars are OK.

Everyone I work with has an energy drink on IV drip. They wonder how I don't, and puzzle when they see me drinking caffeine free soda. Jokes on them; I have adderall motherfuckers

I prefer sugar free energy drinks to coffee, even when I'm working. Sbux coffee just tears my stomach up, especially first thing in the morning. Monster Zero flavors are where it's at.

My psychiatrist would like me to cut down on the amount of caffeine I ingest. I'm already down to ~400 mg daily from ~750, so I'll count it as a win.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sure, sure, more like gamingDecaffeinator :rolleyes:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sure, sure, more like gamingDecaffeinator :rolleyes:

I caffeinate others, brah. No qualms about giving shitlords decaf in their 4-and-a-half-shot-fifteen-pumps-sugarfree-vanilla-nonfat-with-a-splash-of-soy-no-foam-184-degrees-exactly-cinnamon-powder-over-top lattes though.

This is not to say you are a shitlord, and in fact I love all of y'all and would slip you extra shots.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Someone ok'd this

Its an entire pallet of this poo poo. Its all so loving rotten, water logged and nasty that

It loving drips. Rotten rear end roma tomato juice seeps through the cardboard boxes and onto the bottom of the pallet

Whats even better? Our warehouse company is fighting tooth and nail to not take this back. I heard my boss get called over the PA system like 5 different times in a small time window. They were the company trying to weasel out of taking this back, insisting we were trying to claim last week's stock as this pallet.

Like. You guys should KNOW we order a new pallet of romas every 2 days. No loving way we managed to fail selling a full pallet of romas the past 3 days, over a loving weekend. They kept insisting and insisting. Thing is, on each pallet there is a sticker that shows what pallet number and when the pallet was sent out and to what store. So my boss took a picture of it and asked "anything else you guys want?"

That is just so loving shady. Sending a full pallet of complete and utter poo poo, someone ok'd that. Someone loving stacked a bunch of rotten, fuzzy, leaky romas onto a pallet and loving sent it out to us.

retail is hell

E: It is so structurally unstable I have wrapped it to hell to try and keep it stable, but I wont be surprised if the cardboard ends up rotting through and this poo poo is a mushy mess on the floor on Thursday when we can finally send it back cause we don't get a truck on Wednesday.

That's disgusting.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I caffeinate others, brah. No qualms about giving shitlords decaf in their 4-and-a-half-shot-fifteen-pumps-sugarfree-vanilla-nonfat-with-a-splash-of-soy-no-foam-184-degrees-exactly-cinnamon-powder-over-top lattes though.

This is not to say you are a shitlord, and in fact I love all of y'all and would slip you extra shots.

I'm cringing just thinking about this coffee order. I drink a single large latte (a large is 12oz in a takeaway cup, or slightly less in a dine in mug) made with 3 double ristrettos every day, and that's my day's caffeine. Also jesus crist that's a retarded temperature to want your coffee. Why do people like the taste of burnt milk?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Seeing a lot of coffee opinions.

Best price/quality coffee(sporadically) without question is Panera. The issue is the staff are occasionally not cleaning out the carafes or filtering it properly so you get a small amount of grounds in the brew.

AM/PM from the branded gas stations are a solid deal, gas station coffee prices with decent coffee shop quality. Usually they have a fully stocked coffee condiments bar with several flavors of actual cream, sugars, and flavor shots.

Starbucks is at best the "6 people want a coffee order what makes everyone happy" because they've saturated the culture and everyone knows whats on offer.

Those fancy independent coffee shops where they pour the fancy looking patterns on the lattes are $5-7 and are the lobster and steak equivalent when you want to taste what exceptional coffee can taste like.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

Seeing a lot of coffee opinions.

Best price/quality coffee(sporadically) without question is Panera. The issue is the staff are occasionally not cleaning out the carafes or filtering it properly so you get a small amount of grounds in the brew.

AM/PM from the branded gas stations are a solid deal, gas station coffee prices with decent coffee shop quality. Usually they have a fully stocked coffee condiments bar with several flavors of actual cream, sugars, and flavor shots.

Starbucks is at best the "6 people want a coffee order what makes everyone happy" because they've saturated the culture and everyone knows whats on offer.

Those fancy independent coffee shops where they pour the fancy looking patterns on the lattes are $5-7 and are the lobster and steak equivalent when you want to taste what exceptional coffee can taste like.

Nothing that came out of a carafe counts as coffee, sorry.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

Nothing that came out of a carafe counts as coffee, sorry.

This is by far your worst take yet. Plenty of perfectly good coffee places brew full carafes.

If you’re such a snob that only a to order pour over of in-house roasted, single origin coffee even counts as coffee, maybe take it the gently caress out of the retail worker thread and into the GWS coffee thread, or anywhere else that people can afford an $8 cup of coffee on the reg.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I just get the chai latte when I happen to be in a town that even has a Starbucks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lacas at home. Wawa on the road.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon management has set the vacation blackout dates for peak season, at least at our site. November 1-December 24.

At to which everyone I know has responded "Why the gently caress are they giving us blackout dates before Black Friday? We're slow the first half of November as everyone's saving their money for Black Friday/Cyber Monday."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

That's disgusting.

Let me tell you about the smell :unsmigghh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Leal posted:

*sticks fingers in ears and sings la la la di da*

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

Imagine letting it sit for a few days, combining meat, seafood, and deli-waste. I've... smelled things, you wouldn't believe. Probably a good thing my sense of smell was diminished back then.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Imagine letting it sit for a few days, combining meat, seafood, and deli-waste. I've... smelled things, you wouldn't believe. Probably a good thing my sense of smell was diminished back then.

Oh, my warehouse leads to the trash compactor. Its a self contained unit, not a chute that leads outside. So everytime someone opens the door back there, or whenever I need to toss a piece of broken pellet away, I get to enjoy the smell of a trash unit thats been baking in 110+ degree sun full of all our trash. Produce, dairy, and especially meat. Yum. Gets emptied out about once a month.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:barf:

I worked in a slaughterhouse in rural Maine for a summer and the smell there got bad. I can only imagine what you get.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This post made me breathe through my mouth.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've had customers who could peel your arm hair off at ten paces with the yeasty funk. One guy had gangrene so bad it cleared the shop as he left a trail of green and black slime oozing out his boot.

Guess who had to clean it up :shepicide:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Something (or several somethings) is so rotten in our breakroom fridge that whenever it's opened you get a blast of what honestly smells like nail polish remover mixed with gasoline.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Reminds me of when I worked food samples at WalMart. There were 4 Wallies in my town that I bounced between, one "home store", two others...and one on the far side of town that was the "home store" of someone else. She's been out for a couple weeks due to being sick so everyone else is bouncing into her store to take care of "events" there. So I get there and I know this store's event cart is currently stored behind the dairy section.

I get there and something smells...rancid. Which is kinda impressive since I inherited my mother's near lack of sense of smell. I look around and everything's normal and shrug, figuring something went wrong with the Wally crew. Maybe someone dropped a gallon of milk where it was hard to clean or something. While I wasn't technically a WalMart associate, I did work close enough to know how hosed poo poo was on an intimate level. So I get back and not exactly surprised the smell got stronger. The horrible part was when I found where the smell was coming from: one of our Bright Ideas carts. Someone had run a yogurt event there and then just left the yogurt in the cart for who knows how long. I go and ask the associates why didn't they clean it out and got a "Yeah it kinda started stinking but that cart's technically not WalMart property so we can't really touch it... We didn't know who to call since corporate deals with all your poo poo."

I texted my boss what had happened, no response because he was likely dealing with someone or something (literally) in the next state over and spend an hour just sterilizing the cart before I even took it out on the store floor. About half an hour later I see the lady who normally does the free sample events at this store, pale and a bit thin but smiling and recovering from a sickness that knocked her on her rear end for nearly half a month and I tell her. She immediately calls up our boss and this time he picks up and poo poo explodes right there on the store floor because someone left unrefrigerated yogurt in her carts at her store for half a week (because that was how long since the previous sample event). After her rant is over right there in front of all the customers and associates she hands the phone to me and I confirm, explain and say "I'm billing you an extra hour cleaning that mess out of the cart and you're not gonna argue."

Almost as bad: doing a coffee event and finding no one had used our coffee maker for a month or two (eh, not so bad)...and had left the last event's coffee grounds in it when they'd put it up (very definitely bad). It was long enough that they'd dried into a cake, molded over...and then the mold had died.

Me: "Oh hey, deli manager! I need to use your wash sink, like...now!"
:mrgw: "Oh, um, now why would you need that?"
Me: *holds up coffee maker and opens the top
:mrwhite: "...it's all yours, please clean up when you're done."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Sheetz is my “on the go” coffee of choice

I’m late, but I can never see a post like this without making the statement WaWa > Sheetz. Not that sheetz is bad (haven’t had their coffee though), but WaWa is always better (and yes, I know since you are saying sheetz there likely isn’t a WaWa near you).

I only drink ice coffee. When I used to live near a WaWa (rip WaWa for me, I moved away) I would just get their coffee , put some ice in it, bam. The only bad thing WaWa has is their “ice coffee” section, I tried it twice and it is just not good.

Not a coffee snob, can’t do McDonald’s coffee, my choice chain if it’s nearby is Dunkin, but I’m in St. Louis so it’s Panera Bread (aka St Louis Bread) everywhere. I don’t mind Panera coffee, but they recently have axed their ice coffee here (which was $2) and have only had cold brew available (for $2.89). It’s $0.89, but man it annoys me. And it’s the only chain on my way into work, so when I forget to cold brew my coffee it’s usually all I have time for.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I only went to Wawa once in college when I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the Bay Bridge white knuckling the steering wheel because my IBS was flaring up. Their bathroom was nice.

I used to get bombed and walk to Royal Farms every weekend...get me a cwahsahnt breakfast sandwich at 1am. Didn’t drink coffee back then, so can’t speak to that. I miss RoFo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I live in eastern PA where both Wawa and Sheetz exist and a lot of people are fiercely loyal to one or the other and I'm always like... :psyduck:

They're gas stations. They're nice gas stations, sure, but you can get better food or better coffee almost literally anywhere else so who even cares which is the superior place to pump gas and get munchies?

I will say that in my experience Sheetz bathrooms have been absolutely gag-me disgusting almost 100% of the time.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 26, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I live in eastern PA where both Wawa and Sheetz exist and a lot of people are fiercely loyal to one or the other and I'm always like... :psyduck:

They're gas stations. They're nice gas stations, sure, but you can get better food or better coffee almost literally anywhere else so who even cares which is the superior place to pump gas and get munchies?

I will say that in my experience Sheetz bathrooms have been absolutely gag-me disgusting almost 100% of the time.

Sheetz more like Shiitz!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I came in today and those nasty rear end romas were split into 2 pallets, the original pallet was leaning heavily. When I went to lift it up with the forklift, it moved. One, gelatinous mass, wobbling on the pallet. Jesus loving christ. Managed to get it on the truck without it bursting forth a slurry of cardboard pulp and romas. In other news: The warehouse seems eager to top themselves by having all our greens (kale, radishes, anything with leafy greens) in a state that looked like they were all frozen, then brought out to thaw in direct sunlight. Nearly blue-green leaves that were extremely limp and loving reeked.

The gently caress is going on at the warehouse? I'm gonna be returning 7 different products with a total of 12 boxes tomorrow.

E: Oh and I had to go at the floor with the same chemicals we use to clean around the trash compactor and a bristle broom to clean that spot up. Apparently roma juice, filtered through cardboard, is *extremely* slippery. Until it gets spread thin enough, then its incredibly sticky.

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 27, 2019

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
If we're whipping out and measuring clean gas station restrooms, you people have nothing on the Texas giant that is buc-ees. Not only do they have literally (actually literally) 100 pumps and are the size of a medium grocery store, but they have a stupidly huge restroom with maybe 30 stalls and urinals. Of course, they're immaculately clean. I have never been inside one that did not have a worker inside the restroom actively cleaning something.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Leal posted:

Someone ok'd this

retail is hell

Did a few years in produce. Not sure if this is worse or if all rotten watermelons or potatoes would be worse. If you have never smelled either of these feel lucky

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Merica posted:

Did a few years in produce. Not sure if this is worse or if all rotten watermelons or potatoes would be worse. If you have never smelled either of these feel lucky

We're a month from the yearly reek of the pumpkins!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

During the '11 floods, much of the store was picked clean, and we had great difficulty getting produce shipments. Occasionally you'd go to pick up a potato or a sweet potato only to find out that it had turned into a giant water balloon. If you were super unlucky, it'd burst in your hands.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I want to beat some warehouse rear end every time I get some stupid loving pallet shaped like a goddamn apple. I can't fit a round stack through a square door you loving morons. The killer thing was, they'll build the dumbest loving pallets eight, nine feet high. This one could have used another four or so feet of vertical space ay gently caress it lets build out instead of up.

Thousands of years ago the ancestors of these motherfuckers were the ones building tombs wrong and pissing off pharaohs. Store manager Senferu wants to know why you wrapped a bent pyramid, you stupid son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My hatred for the warehouse people, now in video form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWCsB8Zt9M

Warning: lovely phone audio