Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Boing posted:

I love the sound of Stygies VIII as my forge world but I don't want to commit to it, so my understanding is I should just paint my guys in whatever homebrew colours I want and say they are using Stygies rules right? As long as the colour scheme I choose is specifically not one of the existing major FWs.

That’s correct. Essentially whatever color scheme you choose should and does not matter. The only time this may be an issue unless you’re playing a terrible grognard is if your scheme is exactly the same as an official scheme but you’re using different rules. In this case, just tell the other player in advance and there’s no issue.

Edit: your Stygies post reminds me now that I’m “done” with my GSC painting for now I need to get back to my robitmen. Just in time for my WFH day where I essentially paint all day unless someone bugs me.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

TKIY posted:

So how does this look for a friendmaker Alpha Legion list?

needs more typhons

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Stephenls posted:

There we go; fully magnetized Shrike with swappable heads and backpacks; gap on belt from helmet removal is filled with additional bundle of birb skulls from the upgrade sprue; Shrike clearly needs to head back to Deliverance to bury the things soon.

This was terrifying! The dual-magnet setup I'm using for the backpack does not allow for inaccurate hole placement; everything has to be lined up perfectly and nothing can be proud or sunken. I did mess up a bit and misalign the upper magnet on the plastic backpack maybe a quarter of a milimeter to the left of where it ought to be, but since it's less than half a milimeter off and he's standing at an angle, it's just within tolerance.

Now to wait for the multibuild suppressors and hope they come with a bald masked head so I can give Shrike the half-buzz cover-of-the-codex extra emo haircut he really deserves.

(EDIT: Also, wow, staying up until 3 AM doing this and laundry and meal-prep cooking is clearly doing things to my semicolon use.)

Great work. Nice improvement on the original model.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

needs more typhons

Wrong game, 30K nerd.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

So how does this look for a friendmaker Alpha Legion list? Haven't put marks for everything but probably Slaanesh on the shooties, and Khorne on the stabbies.

Legion: Alpha Legion

I like it as a start but I'm not sure what the Greater Possessed are doing for you here. Seems like an easy place to swap out the four of them for a Lord Discordant and more Terminators.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

So here is a rules clarity thing I am uncertain of, for Salamanders they clarified that shoot again stratagems are separate selections of the unit and allow the rerolls. But for things like the stratagem firing the fancy repulser missile or ancient models dying how do they work? I want to say for the missile it gets the reroll to hit, but I have no idea for the banner.

It should apply in neither case. Master Artisans says "when a unit is selected to fight or shoot". You aren't selecting the unit to fire in the case of the banner, you're selecting the model - additionally the banner specifies one shooting or melee attack, not a full series of attacks that would come with being selected to fight or shoot. The Hunter-Slayer missile strategem is not actually a shooting attack so it does not apply.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

nite_moogle posted:

It should apply in neither case. Master Artisans says "when a unit is selected to fight or shoot". You aren't selecting the unit to fire in the case of the banner, you're selecting the model - additionally the banner specifies one shooting or melee attack, not a full series of attacks that would come with being selected to fight or shoot. The Hunter-Slayer missile strategem is not actually a shooting attack so it does not apply.

The issue with that is that they say that the thunderfire/whirlwind one counts as getting the reroll when the stratagem specifically says model.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

The issue with that is that they say that the thunderfire/whirlwind one counts as getting the reroll when the stratagem specifically says model.

It's regrettably not consistent usage of unit versus model, but in the case of the THF/WW strategem, it grants a full second activation. Neither the banner or HSM strategem is actually a shooting activation.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

nite_moogle posted:

It's regrettably not consistent usage of unit versus model, but in the case of the THF/WW strategem, it grants a full second activation. Neither the banner or HSM strategem is actually a shooting activation.

But it doesn't because it says you may only shoot with non LOS weapons.

That's the tricky issue with these things the FAQ makes it more ambiguous, last time I played I did not count for either case but we could not figure it out either.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

But it doesn't because it says you may only shoot with non LOS weapons.

That's the tricky issue with these things the FAQ makes it more ambiguous, last time I played I did not count for either case but we could not figure it out either.

The wording around all of this could definitely stand to be straightened out to make it more clear. At the risk of being pedantic, the WW/TFC strategem says you are restricted to firing at units that you don't have line of sight to with the second shooting attack. That is not the same as saying you are restricted to weapons that ignore line of sight (which would not be a standard shooting attack).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Actually...

Codex Space Marines 2.0 posted:

Suppression Fire
Use this Stratagem in your Shooting phase, when a Whirlwind model or Thunderfire Cannon model from your army that has not moved this turn is chosen to shoot with. You can choose that model to shoot with an additional time that phase, but when it does, it can only shoot with weapons that can target units not visible to the bearer.

It specifies the weapons here, ie the ones with indirect fire, not what the targets of that fire have to be. You can totally double fire your Whirlwind's launcher at visible targets, you just can't double fire it's Storm Bolter at them too.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PierreTheMime posted:

That’s correct. Essentially whatever color scheme you choose should and does not matter. The only time this may be an issue unless you’re playing a terrible grognard is if your scheme is exactly the same as an official scheme but you’re using different rules. In this case, just tell the other player in advance and there’s no issue.

Just keep in mind you might not want to get too attached to the current Stygies rules. Admech refresh problably isn't going to be anytime soon though.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Strobe posted:

It's considered a building, and becomes terrain when destroyed.

RAW you can't put models in the Wall of Martyrs's trench either. RAW is dumb enough in this case that even the worst kind of people don't care.

Part of the rules text for the Skyshield Landing Pad references models placed on top of it, both friendly and enemy, which means it acts as an exception to the normal rule and models may be placed on top of it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Haven't played 40k since...4th edition? But I have seen some nice models for something called Kill Team and, digging around a bit, it sounds like it may be an interesting skirmish game that I could play without paying a ton of money to GW.

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to that, so my questions are:
1) Is it good?
2) Is it just wh40k, but played at X points instead of 2K or whatever?
3) If not, what are the main differences (Mordheim campaign mode aside)?
4) Is there any (onsite or otherwise) good place to find some info on this, GW website aside?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 27, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Italian Guy posted:

Haven't played 40k since...4th edition? But I have seen some nice models for something called Kill Team and, digging around a bit, it sounds like it may be an interesting skirmish game that I could play without paying a ton of money to GW.

1) Is it good?
4) Is there any (onsite or otherwise) good place to find some info on this, GW website aside?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Check out this link.
4. Goonhammer has a few resources (see above).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

1) Is it good?

Killteam is super good.

Killteam uses the same base rules and statlines for units as 40k but has less units total in the base release and adds some new options in the elites expansion, either way you arent going to be using the biggest heavy hitters or vehicles. Depending on the faction A normal kill team is somewhere between 4-15 models. It uses a smaller arena size that makes it much easier to play on your average dining table but prefers boards with more cover and terrain. The rules for combat are similar to normal 40k but a big difference is the game uses alternate activations for the combat rounds. After rolling initiative the players make all their movements per player similar to normal 40k, but when the shooting psychic and melee phases happen players take turns picking single models to activate and fight.

Also theres this goonhammer article thats very comprehensive: https://www.goonhammer.com/im-looking-to-downsize-moving-from-40k-to-kill-team/

e: a box upon beer

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Thanks for the link and answers!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Speaking of Goonhammer, here's some words about Knights: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-imperial-knights/

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just last night was hoping this article existed! Awesome!

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Corrode posted:

Speaking of Goonhammer, here's some words about Knights: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-imperial-knights/

That is some Very Good art as the header.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/27/warhammer-40000-september-updategw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-3/

It's time for 40k FAQs!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Good news everyone! 40k is currently perfectly balanced and requires no new rules or adjustments!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/27/warhammer-40000-september-updategw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-3/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Eh updates are good and I feel cared for.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

xtothez posted:

Good news everyone! 40k is currently perfectly balanced and requires no new rules or adjustments!

Points changes still coming with CA19, there's just apparently nothing egregious enough to address right this second.

Which honestly doesn't feel wrong.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do they ever plan on condensing all the constant rules changes into fewer books or is BattleScribe basically going to be the only feasible way to build an army list forever?

It's starting to feel like D&D 3.5 with how many rules books you need for just one army, let alone the game in general.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They're doing that next week with AoS. No idea how much, if anything, got updated in the rules only 40k book releasing at the same time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I wouldn't mind it so much if there were at least an index of what books I need, or where to find what's been changed.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I wouldn't mind it so much if there were at least an index of what books I need, or where to find what's been changed.

Rulebook, codex, chapter approved. Any errata is on the community site in the faq section.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Rulebook, rulebook FAQ, knight codex, codex FAQ, FW index?, fw FAQ, updated FW knight profiles, then CA16? CA17? guard codex, guard FAQ, and then maybe whichever index has the fortification (unless those are in a CA now.)

That's... intimidating.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
if you're souping you've brought this upon yourself.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You're using two armies and Forge World, no poo poo you're going to end up with a lot of stuff to keep track of. You'd have done the same thing in any other edition except still have to use the previous edition's guard Codex and have no clarification on bad rules ever.

I don't think CA16 or 17 says a whole lot you'd care about with that army anyway besides points costs unless you're deep striking or going heavy on psychic with the guard detachment, anyway. If GW is on the ball (and they have been lately) mini-rulebook should have errata and new rules included.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Der Waffle Mous posted:

if you're souping you've brought this upon yourself.

:same:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

You're using two armies and Forge World, no poo poo you're going to end up with a lot of stuff to keep track of. You'd have done the same thing in any other edition except still have to use the previous edition's guard Codex and have no clarification on bad rules ever.

I don't think CA16 or 17 says a whole lot you'd care about with that army anyway besides points costs unless you're deep striking or going heavy on psychic with the guard detachment, anyway. If GW is on the ball (and they have been lately) mini-rulebook should have errata and new rules included.

I think he needs the old CA book for the fortification rules.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Booley posted:

I think he needs the old CA book for the fortification rules.

I don't think CA 2017 comes with points for all the fortifications, so you'd be looking at Index Imperium 2.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Mono codex for life.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
So for shits and giggles I have been investigating how I would get deliverable meltas in my Salamanders for turn 2 under the leaks, and it actually seems pretty hard to actually get them on anything.

The only way to get a bunch is on assault centurions or as multimeltas on devastators. I guess you could drop pod the devastators, but then they either die before the doctrine or waste the turn 1 capabilities of the drop pod. For the assault centurions I guess I could use my redeemer but that thing feels like a lot of points for what it does still.

There are random meltas spread around on other units, but a lot of them feel awkward to use with either a single multimelta or 12 inches on the regular meltas.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Yeah that’s one thing that really stings about the Salamanders release, there’s really not a solid delivery option or trick to get in range. I suppose you could field a cheap stormshield vanguard unit to run interference with their strat and tank a ton of shots incoming at a 6-man Aggressor squad* or something.

I know that’s flamers but you can replace that with whatever melta unit you’re thinking of since they both suffer the same issue.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

Rulebook, rulebook FAQ, knight codex, codex FAQ, FW index?, fw FAQ, updated FW knight profiles, then CA16? CA17? guard codex, guard FAQ, and then maybe whichever index has the fortification (unless those are in a CA now.)

That's... intimidating.

god this owns

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah that’s one thing that really stings about the Salamanders release, there’s really not a solid delivery option or trick to get in range. I suppose you could field a cheap stormshield vanguard unit to run interference with their strat and tank a ton of shots incoming at a 6-man Aggressor squad* or something.

I know that’s flamers but you can replace that with whatever melta unit you’re thinking of since they both suffer the same issue.

With the current info, it kinda just looks like load up on a unreasonable amount of flamers and just give up on anti-tank through anything but literal volume of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

R0ckfish posted:

With the current info, it kinda just looks like load up on a unreasonable amount of flamers and just give up on anti-tank through anything but literal volume of fire.

Flamers and dread punches/hammers. Melta is way overcosted (with the exception of maybe the thermal weapons which don’t have a range issue) in this edition and it just hurts to try to make work.