Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

except he did

unless he was lying about threatening them

except the prosecutor wasn't investigating Biden's son.

"Hunter Biden had joined the board of Burisma in April 2014, the same month that British officials froze Zlochevsky’s London bank accounts containing $23 million. Britain’s Serious Fraud Office, an independent government agency, was conducting a money-laundering investigation and refused to allow Zlochevsky or Burisma Holdings, the company’s chief legal officer, and another company owned by Zlochevsky access to the accounts.

But the British money-laundering investigation was stymied by Ukrainian prosecutors’ refusal to cooperate. The Ukrainian prosecutors would not turn over documents needed in the British investigation, and without that documentary evidence, a British court ordered Britain’s Serious Fraud Office to unfreeze the assets."

“In the case of former Ecology Minister Mykola Zlochevsky, the U.K. authorities had seized $23 million in illicit assets that belonged to the Ukrainian people,” Pyatt [the U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine at the time] said. Officials at the prosecutor general’s office, he added, were asked by the United Kingdom “to send documents supporting the seizure. Instead they sent letters to Zlochevsky’s attorneys attesting that there was no case against him. As a result, the money was freed by the U.K. court, and shortly thereafter the money was moved to Cyprus.”

"The then-vice president issued his demands for greater anti-corruption measures by the Ukrainian government despite the possibility that those demands would actually increase – not lessen — the chances that Hunter Biden and Burisma would face legal trouble in Ukraine."

The prosecutor was corrupt as gently caress and everyone was calling for his removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I feel like Trump will never see any jailtime because even if this whole thing is a slam dunk it will be in the courts for years and, honestly, how much time does he really have left on this earth?

i feel like if the feds don't gently caress him(who knows at this point) NY will tear him up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

LionArcher posted:

10 episode mini series on HBO. Craig Mazin (Chernobyl writer) and Aaron Sorkin write every episode (and phoebe weller of fleabag fame punches up the jokes). Directed by David Fincher and the director of Wonder Woman, and maybe one of the directors of game of thrones.

They did it for watergate and it was fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AroQdon3ZY
(it's on Netflix, go watch it this weekend... it's good)

Bring Redford back to play Bob Mueller.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 26, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kill Bristol posted:

Yes. The dictator’s dilemma (gotta hold on to power or I’m hosed) is a well known thing in comparative politics. It’s distasteful but the best thing to do is probably to offer him some kind of tacit agreement that if he steps down he’ll be free from serious jail time.

it is potentially arguable to let trump avoid serious jail time if you jail every enabler he had so that the next president can't get people to carry out illegal orders. however, trump already found the flaw in this plan: his pardon power.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bakanogami posted:

So what are the potential endgames for this mess?

1) House votes to impeach, enough Senate republicans flip in an anonymous vote to remove Trump from office. Without the shield of the office, he's immediately tried for many crimes and spends the rest of his life in jail.

2) House votes to impeach, senate convicts, but Pence turns around and pardons him. Trump is removed from office, but faces no other punishment.

3) House votes to impeach, senate convicts, but Trump doesn't accept the impeachment as legitimate, refuses to leave and keeps acting like he's President. Pence does nothing to deter this or remove him from the White House. Everyone gets very confused.

4) House votes to impeach, but it fails when the Senate vote is roughly along party lines. No consequences, but assuming it's not an anonymous vote it gets senators on record and the fallout looms over the 2020 election.

5) House votes to impeach, but Mitch decides he doesn't have to ever bring it up in the senate if he doesn't want to. In a 5-4 decision the SC backs him up.

6) The house impeachment vote fails when Nancy Pelosi and a few other dems refuse to vote for it, because it's for the voters to decide lol

7) House impeachment proceedings get so bogged down they never reach the voting stage. We're treated to a year of committee hearings and the press gets time to think of a sexy "-gate" name before Trump is voted out normally in 2020.

8) They stonewall on every subpoena so that the hearings never get anything done. They threaten to hold people in contempt but never seem to get around to it. Trump wins reelection in 2020 and either the dems lose the house or decide that the people have spoken and back down from impeachment.

9) Trump invites house dems to a meeting to talk about it on 5th avenue and shoots them all.

I figure #4 is most likely, and 1-3 are never happening because the Senate republicans are just as crooked as Trump is.

I...don't think the vote is anonymous.

I guess it isn't specified in the constitution, but I don't see a universe where they hold an anonymous impeachment vote.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wait, six in ten respondents who back impeachment think Trump committed an impeachable offense?

Are the other four just like, "He's innocent but impeach him anyway"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

gh0stpinballa posted:

biden threatened to do the same if they didn't fire the prosecutor investigating his son tho?

Nope. That never happened.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mod sassinator posted:

*womp* *womp* Now we know why the republicans are so silent. They have no idea what to do and nothing that worked in the past is working.

85% of Republicans being against impeachment is a pretty clear message for them not to remove, though. Polls like this aren't promising if the goal is actually removal, although it's at least a bit heartening that Republican support isn't totally static.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't consider this a spelling mistake honestly

Same. Saw it in the preview and left it in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gort posted:

Wait, six in ten respondents who back impeachment think Trump committed an impeachable offense?

Are the other four just like, "He's innocent but impeach him anyway"

probably a mix of "hail trump" and "idk maybe".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like Trump will never see any jailtime because even if this whole thing is a slam dunk it will be in the courts for years and, honestly, how much time does he really have left on this earth?

He'll go to spirit jail when he gets to the pearly gates after he is posthumously baptised into the Mormon church

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paradoxish posted:

85% of Republicans being against impeachment is a pretty clear message for them not to remove, though. Polls like this aren't promising if the goal is actually removal, although it's at least a bit heartening that Republican support isn't totally static.

Most of them really can't afford to lose the support of 15% of Republicans, that's still pretty scary.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Critical posted:

Quick story, i have been lucky enough to never hear Ben Shapiro speak. Yesterday I was listening to an episode of Reply All he was mentioned in and when i heard his voice i burst out laughing in the office. He sounds exactly like the loving dweeb he is.

He's what would happen if you shouted "Well, actually" into a petri dish and let it cultivate into a small human

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

It looked about the same for Nixon.
Republicans don't disapprove of Republican presidents they just magically become Independent.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

evilweasel posted:

the prosecutor had dropped the investigation into a company associated with his son a year before biden, on behalf of obama and the EU, delivered the message the prosecutor needed to be fired because he wasn't investigating corruption

this is not accurate

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

But imagine how fun it would be to see him in court in his last years. Just everyday, getting a little more tired everyday, a little more disconnected.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is not accurate

It is, dumb hell fucker

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is not accurate

it is

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This feels like it is in large part attributable to trump being surrounded by fuckups who wouldn't even make the b team. I'm reminded of an article that came out early on in the trump administration where some operative was like, 'look you gotta understand that literally everyone trump hires is scraping the bottom of the barrel and they have almost no one with practical government experience who even understands how government operates.'

gently caress that was prescient in retrospect

the entire time you hear rudy in the background yelling at someone about criming

Plus this,

haveblue posted:

It's not so much that the documents are immune to deletion, it's that the documents are now bound to a detailed and unimpeachable paper trail. They can still be deleted but there is no way to delete them quietly, whoever performs the delete will have their name attached to the record of that act and will immediately become a target of the investigation on top of whatever career consequences that might entail.

Means that instead of making the crimes not obvious and hidden, what the Trump team did with classified docs makes it super obvious who was in on the plot.

I still can’t believe it. This is somehow worse than the scene from the Wire on taking notes on a conspiracy.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is not accurate

Somebody above posted an article from the Intercept. Where are you getting your info from?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

hidden_msg posted:

urg ....to give swirly.....rising....

I would seriously donate any amount of money to charity if someone would just stuff Ben Shaprio in a locker, give him a wedgie and a swirly.

poo poo, you could probably put it on twitch and make it into a fundraiser.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

Their base isn't enough to get them elected again. Just look at the upsets that have happened in the last couple years. They're going to lose all the independents they had and probably start losing a bit of the base. That's enough to rattle the hell out of them and I hope make them do something really bold like completely speed through dumping and impeaching Trump to try to salvage something for 2020.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

quote:

The prosecutor was corrupt as gently caress and everyone was calling for his removal.

nobody is disputing this. but there is no way sleepy joe's drug addled failson came by some random high paying job in ukraine honestly. i think pelosi is smart to call for a narrow inquiry, no telling what the fallout would be if they widened the scope. lots of democrat donors had their hands in the ukrainian pork barrel at that time.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

I would seriously donate any amount of money to charity if someone would just stuff Ben Shaprio in a locker, give him a wedgie and a swirly.

poo poo, you could probably put it on twitch and make it into a fundraiser.
you could probably get the same effect out of hiring the guy in the green sweater from that city council meeting to just sit in front of him and laughs at him the entire time.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

gh0stpinballa posted:

nobody is disputing this. but there is no way sleepy joe's drug addled failson came by some random high paying job in ukraine honestly. i think pelosi is smart to call for a narrow inquiry, no telling what the fallout would be if they widened the scope. lots of democrat donors had their hands in the ukrainian pork barrel at that time.

Source?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gh0stpinballa posted:

nobody is disputing this. but there is no way sleepy joe's drug addled failson came by some random high paying job in ukraine honestly.
Nobody is saying it wasn't nepotism, idiot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Is the Senate allowed to have anonymous votes? I didn't think that's a thing. Makes intuitive sense for all votes to be a matter of public record anyway.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

If only there wasn't like a hundred pages of this thread available to you showing you why you're wrong

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Biden should talk up how cool it is his son bought his own crack.

No loving way Eric or Jr. would do that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gh0stpinballa posted:

lay off the sauce rudy

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

theflyingorc posted:

I guess it isn't specified in the constitution, but I don't see a universe where they hold an anonymous impeachment vote.

They can do whatever they want. The rules are totally made up by the Senate once it goes to trial. They just need a majority to change any rule.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Guze posted:

Biden should talk up how cool it is his son bought his own crack.

No loving way Eric or Jr. would do that.

man there's no loving way eric or jr make it through life without a whole shitload of drugs, just look at those vacant eyes

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

gh0stpinballa posted:

this is not accurate

Lol your post history and rap sheet doesn’t really lend any credibility to your ‘actually I’m right and don’t have any evidence’ approach.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

Except that isn't the thing you said or what Trump is pushing. It's not about how Hunter got into his position, especially least of all from King Nepotism himself, it's about the claim that Joe Biden got a foreign prosecutor fired to protect his son. You know, this thing you said

gh0stpinballa posted:

biden threatened to do the same if they didn't fire the prosecutor investigating his son tho?

This is fundamentally untrue. The prosecutor was not only not investigating his son he was actively helping the company that Hunter worked for.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Bakanogami posted:

So what are the potential endgames for this mess?

1) House votes to impeach, enough Senate republicans flip in an anonymous vote to remove Trump from office. Without the shield of the office, he's immediately tried for many crimes and spends the rest of his life in jail.

2) House votes to impeach, senate convicts, but Pence turns around and pardons him. Trump is removed from office, but faces no other punishment.

3) House votes to impeach, senate convicts, but Trump doesn't accept the impeachment as legitimate, refuses to leave and keeps acting like he's President. Pence does nothing to deter this or remove him from the White House. Everyone gets very confused.

4) House votes to impeach, but it fails when the Senate vote is roughly along party lines. No consequences, but assuming it's not an anonymous vote it gets senators on record and the fallout looms over the 2020 election.

5) House votes to impeach, but Mitch decides he doesn't have to ever bring it up in the senate if he doesn't want to. In a 5-4 decision the SC backs him up.

6) The house impeachment vote fails when Nancy Pelosi and a few other dems refuse to vote for it, because it's for the voters to decide lol

7) House impeachment proceedings get so bogged down they never reach the voting stage. We're treated to a year of committee hearings and the press gets time to think of a sexy "-gate" name before Trump is voted out normally in 2020.

8) They stonewall on every subpoena so that the hearings never get anything done. They threaten to hold people in contempt but never seem to get around to it. Trump wins reelection in 2020 and either the dems lose the house or decide that the people have spoken and back down from impeachment.

9) Trump invites house dems to a meeting to talk about it on 5th avenue and shoots them all.

I figure #4 is most likely, and 1-3 are never happening because the Senate republicans are just as crooked as Trump is.

It’s going to be #4 barring a dead girl/live boy scenario. But considering how this week has gone....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

a voice vote is anonymous, so there's anonymous votes all the time

it's just that anyone can call for a recorded vote to confirm the voice vote

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

gh0stpinballa posted:

How strange that you have a reg date of a couple months ago and you're wandering into this thread to try to get us all to engage with obvious pre-planned talking points.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Is the Senate allowed to have anonymous votes? I didn't think that's a thing. Makes intuitive sense for all votes to be a matter of public record anyway.

They can do standing/voice votes where they don't keep track of who said yay or nay.

quote:

All voting in Congress is a matter of public record. However, not all floor votes are roll call votes. There are voice votes (“aye” or “no”) and division or standing votes (where the presiding officer counts Members), and these types of votes do not indicate by name how a member voted.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/HowTo/how_to_votes.htm

also this

Tormented posted:

They can do whatever they want. The rules are totally made up by the Senate once it goes to trial. They just need a majority to change any rule.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

gh0stpinballa posted:

Oh precious... you've never been around wealthy elite families. Every child from those families is in a cushy worthless job 'randomly'.... err I mean because they pulled themselves up from bootstraps and worked right into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gh0stpinballa posted:

Look at those goalposts move. Woosh!