Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Dead Money isn't the best DLC but at least the ending isn't a choice between "kill someone" and "convince someone to not kill you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda funny that you can't get a good ending with Dean Domino if you take the obvious Speech test the first time you meet him because he never lets it go

On the other hand if you don't he's downright delighted to see you and considers you a friend

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dean Domino revealing he was the one who put Christine in the Autodoc was the finest Wham Line in the Fallout series

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Iconoclasts has one of the best soundtracks every composed for a game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone here tried Noita? I really don't much care for the generic pixelated indie game aesthetic, but the fact that it simulates every single pixel physically is kind of cool. It has good reviews but that's been true for a lot of games I ended up buying and not liking.

I want a retro style game that simulates the actual look of NES games, complete with CRT pixel bleed effects, instead of clear cut pixels.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I want a retro style game that simulates the actual look of NES games, complete with CRT pixel bleed effects, instead of clear cut pixels.

I know, right? It's one thing when they have a proper aesthetic, like say Shovel Knight. But they often end up trying to look too retro without realizing a CRT made those old games look very different from what they look like on a modern screen.

It's actually kind of impressive how much better scanlines or a CRT filter can make some of this stuff look. I mean look at the 3DS, it's 240p. It'd look hideous without its scanlines.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

Gunmetal Arcadia Zero is just an ok game, but the CRT filter for it is amazing. Gave me immediate flashbacks to being a kid playing Zelda 2 on our lovely 13'' Magnavox.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i really want the evil traitor back in my party in persona 5 because i had them trained up a million levels and they have crazy good skills :(

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tuo posted:

Iconoclasts has one of the best soundtracks every composed for a game

This should be more broadly recognized, but it came out right around the same time as Celeste, so no dice.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ultrafilter posted:

This should be more broadly recognized, but it came out right around the same time as Celeste, so no dice.

No it's problem is that it was announced and hyped waaaaay before it was released. I remember the initial announcement and hype but you can't sustain hype that long before release.

In any case Legend of Princess is Konjak's best game in my opinion.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
everything about Iconoclasts is really, really good

well, except for the pointless augment or upgrade system or whatever they called it where you mix ingredients but everything else

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Elman posted:

I know, right? It's one thing when they have a proper aesthetic, like say Shovel Knight. But they often end up trying to look too retro without realizing a CRT made those old games look very different from what they look like on a modern screen.

It's actually kind of impressive how much better scanlines or a CRT filter can make some of this stuff look. I mean look at the 3DS, it's 240p. It'd look hideous without its scanlines.

That one example that gets posted a lot with the Zelda 2 link sprite is interesting:

The one on the left is the simple per-pixel input, the one on the right is that input distorted (but actually improved) by the CRT's analog display. Strangely, the way the distortion works makes it seem like you are looking at a much higher res image of Link through some kind of smoked glass pane or something. This creates the suggestion that the character is much more "alive" than the original per-pixel image does. It takes something away but like, adds something at the same time, man.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

That one example that gets posted a lot with the Zelda 2 link sprite is interesting:

The one on the left is the simple per-pixel input, the one on the right is that input distorted (but actually improved) by the CRT's analog display. Strangely, the way the distortion works makes it seem like you are looking at a much higher res image of Link through some kind of smoked glass pane or something. This creates the suggestion that the character is much more "alive" than the original per-pixel image does. It takes something away but like, adds something at the same time, man.

they both look like dogshit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bradzilla posted:

they both look like dogshit

Wrap it up, indie devailures!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I think the pixels look better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its hard to try and remember the look of a NES through a CRT monitor I was super young when I played it but I kind of understand why people want these filters and so on on emulated games, the image on the left is just too clean

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Here's another example.

The picture also gains a bloom effect from being viewed through multiple panes of glass. Personally I think that bottom left minotaur looks great and spooky.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 26, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

Here's another example.

The picture also gains a bloom effect from being viewed through multiple panes of glass. Personally I think that bottom left minotaur looks great and spooky.

That's not a minotaur, it's an orc.

Noita is fun and the pixel gimmick works wonderfully.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Applies retro CRT filter to games: Retro Gamer "I like this, it looks better, how it was supposed to look."

Applies advanced shader tech on latest games to almost imperceptibly blur image, softening edges and speckling artifacts, making the image a cohesive whole: PC Gamer *has aneurysm*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Indie developer announces new pixel graphic platformer: PC Gamer *has aneurysm*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Applies retro CRT filter to games: Retro Gamer "I like this, it looks better, how it was supposed to look."

Applies advanced shader tech on latest games to almost imperceptibly blur image, softening edges and speckling artifacts, making the image a cohesive whole: PC Gamer *has aneurysm*

Motion blur is fine, depth of field makes my head hurt.

I think it's because in real life, you've got your focus and then everything else is slightly blurry, but in a game your point of focus is the screen as a whole, so you've got parts of the screen that are blurry when you expect them to be sharp, since you're generally not focusing only on your character or whatever.

e: also turning off depth of field usually gets you a significant performance gain

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

i really want the evil traitor back in my party in persona 5 bg2 because i had them trained up a million levels and they have crazy good skills :(

Yoshimo :smith:

I'd dual classed him and he was about to pick up his first class again and be a whirlwind of death. Ngl it still hurts a little

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

lol, explain in what way the crt version is enhanced

it just looks like you are looking at the former picture, but with cataracts

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

You wouldn't normally stare at the screen from 1 inch away.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

That is a bad example, but I think he's trying to say that the blur makes it so that you can't really see the individual polygons (like how the green sleeve of the timing looks like one diagonal line instead of being a bunch of squares). But I think that's part of the charm of some of the newer pixel games. They're purposefully blocky because, like, duh they aren't going to b go for any kind of photorealism doing that style.

I think the above example with the skeleton is a better strategy because those are way more complex designs- the individual pixels are supposed to blend to create different colors/shadows.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
NES graphics looked like poo poo even when it was new.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the link example is really bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oldstench posted:

NES graphics looked like poo poo even when it was new.

Of course, but some looked much much worse/better than others. (IDK about NES as such back in the day but 8-bit is 8-bit). One thing no-one wanted to see was "Lego bricks graphics" as we called them. A good graphics guy could do wonders, even if the wonders objectively look like poo poo.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Nintendo are just a giant cash cow, one which is starting to dry up.

Boring too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when Switch was supposed to be the hot new console that would return Nintendo to the top

lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

chad clear pixel graphics, you can see each pixel you know you're going to have a good time

virgin blur pixels hiding their shameful true form, needs special "filters" to see properly

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Motion blur is fine, depth of field makes my head hurt.

I think it's because in real life, you've got your focus and then everything else is slightly blurry, but in a game your point of focus is the screen as a whole, so you've got parts of the screen that are blurry when you expect them to be sharp, since you're generally not focusing only on your character or whatever.

e: also turning off depth of field usually gets you a significant performance gain

imo they both suck. your eyes automatically produce a dof effect by focusing but because of tracking we don't experience a perceptible motion blur except in really tight quarters. blur is nauseating because it's just the hawaii five-o spinning camera effects nauseating because the game never knows what to focus on so you're looking at a thing right in front of your guy and it's artificially blurry

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

steinrokkan posted:

Remember when Switch was supposed to be the hot new console that would return Nintendo to the top

lol

I believe the switch has sold as much as the current xbox, and is competitive with the ps4 in japan. They're not beating sony, but it's the best they've been doing since the wii.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

imo they both suck. your eyes automatically produce a dof effect by focusing but because of tracking we don't experience a perceptible motion blur except in really tight quarters. blur is nauseating because it's just the hawaii five-o spinning camera effects nauseating because the game never knows what to focus on so you're looking at a thing right in front of your guy and it's artificially blurry

games that let you adjust the amount of blur are the best. At low levels it's a decent way to mask FPS dips when you're looking around quickly and the GPU can't keep up.

DOF is schedule 1, no possibility of positive usage.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/quinn_town/status/1177196696771674115

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Last of Us 2 lost its multiplayer and I'm real mad about it and I know another dude in this thread will feel the same

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

Last of Us 2 lost its multiplayer and I'm real mad about it and I know another dude in this thread will feel the same

Same. It's up there with MGO and spies vs mercs in terms of unique multiplayer modes. Although, I suspect they're going to end up double dipping with a stand alone multiplayer expansion sometime within the release year/

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Modern campaigns need to take a step back from the current obsession with player convenience and comfort(strictly in terms of the actual gameplay, not the payment models). We're basically at a point now where players are no longer allowed to get lost or confused, and cannot be expected to retain any information that isn't part of an omniscient UI. Replaying the thief games for the first time in a decade a couple months ago really put it into perspective, "Here's a rough map of the interior to get you started but you'll actually have to rely on your own sense of navigation a little". That sort of expectation is ludicrous outside a select few niche titles and Souls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yup. Honestly this has pissed me off more than basically anything game hype related in my life. I don't even want to buy the game anymore atm. Like, I was literally looking forward to this for years, my entire group that played TLOU 1 was. They even confirmed multi years ago, and just nonchalantly mentioned that they took it out today like it was nothing. Factions was like 60% of my hype for the game. Naughty Dog can kiss my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

everything about Iconoclasts is really, really good

well, except for the pointless augment or upgrade system or whatever they called it where you mix ingredients but everything else

The story was pretty shite I thought. Hard cringe on all the dialogue from me.