Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TheNamedSavior posted:

Didn't some of the artists at the studio that makes OK KO do an animation for jontron AFTER he outed himself as a fascist?

Not Ian, he's a gem (ahahahaha aren't I so clever?), but as far as I know, some of the people at that studio are 99% likely to be chud assholes.

Anyways, when the poo poo are they going to announce Sonic Mania 2 already?

Studio Yotta doesn't make OK KO (it's made by Cartoon Network Studios), they just animated a few of the early shorts (as well as the sonic mania intro and a buncha other stuff, though they didn't do the sonic mania adventures shorts), though there are multiple crew members who've done work for yotta in the past (including Ian himself on the sonic mania intro)

Also I'm on an animation fan discord and a few yotta people are also there, and one of them mentioned that there was no talk of the Jontron intro being A Thing on the official Yotta discord that employees are involved in, so evidently it was something most of the people who worked for the studio were unaware of until the intro came out.

Most of studio yotta's staff are freelancers anyways.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Also I'm on an animation fan discord and a few yotta people are also there, and one of them mentioned that there was no talk of the Jontron intro being A Thing on the official Yotta discord that employees are involved in, so evidently it was something most of the people who worked for the studio were unaware of until the intro came out.

Oh, well I feel stupid now. But not as stupid as Jontron.

Jesus gently caress, that sounds like a mess. I hope the people who did that got chewed out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That Sonic OK KO short pulled a lot from AOSTH and the Sonic Anime Movie. Pretty entertaining for a 10 minute thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are there any sonic games on the horizon? Feels weird thinking that maybe they gave up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are there any sonic games on the horizon? Feels weird thinking that maybe they gave up.

I think Forces sold pretty well even though it was poo poo so it probably won’t be too long before another mainline entry.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's been less than two years, hopefully Forces was a bit of a wakeup call to not fall back into the old habit of rushing a game out to meet a deadline (before Mania's hype window died, in this case).

In other news, Tangle and Whisper both have merch in the official store: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/07/tangle-and-whisper-sdcc-pins-coming-to-the-sega-shop/

Doesn't necessarily mean that they'll appear in any games, but it's probably a good sign that Sega are invested in the comics. Forces/Mania/IDW seems to have been taken as an opportunity to align the official and spinoff products rather than doing things like Boom, so maybe we'll see that in the games as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They already announced a while back that they’re working on one but there’s zero information so far. Plus we also got Team Sonic Racing not too long ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hey Sonic boomers, it's been a while! But it's an auspicious day, because a brand new Sonic game is just around the corner!

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1174352506744238080?s=19

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well, it might be better than Forces.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/1174285655641165828
https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/1174312924115918849

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pants Donkey posted:

Well, it might be better than Forces.

It's probably faster than Sonic 4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been watching the old show In The Heat of the Night. I'm on an episode about a child who murdered a man. I gasped when I saw a familiar poster on his wall.

I had that exact poster on my wall.

But I guess this proves that video games do make children into murderers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
When we bought a house like 20 years ago my little brother picked his bedroom because the kid who was living in it before had that poster on the wall when we toured the place. Good memory.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My sister had/may still have that poster on the right.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how Robotnik is this super angry giant, mad at that sculpture, mad I tell you. He's gazing at it realizing that his huge hands could never create such delicate piece of art. He's sliding his hand at the curvature of the two, mesmerized by how smooth it is, filled with envy at the privilege that these smaller creatures possess to be able to create such marvelous form.

Meanwhile Sonic and Tails are smugly posing, looking at the camera. "Yeah, we did it, it was no biggie." The stonehenge of Mobius.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I got the Genesis Mini and I am sorry Sonic thread but I had to resort to save-scumming to get the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 2.

Kinda sucks that the Genesis Mini doesn't have the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2. That would've been a great selling point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sonic boomer cause climate change

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

I got the Genesis Mini and I am sorry Sonic thread but I had to resort to save-scumming to get the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 2.

Kinda sucks that the Genesis Mini doesn't have the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2. That would've been a great selling point.

It would probably make the lack of Sonic 3 even worse.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MJeff posted:

Another reason the Taxman ports are best is that the Sonic 2 special stages actually aren’t poo poo in them. You can see what’s coming much easier.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He also added a seventh stage in Sonic 1 and it is completely loving impossible.

Go to the level select menu in no save mode and set the number of emeralds to 7 to access. It absolutely blows.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SeANMcBAY posted:

Another reason the Taxman ports are best is that the Sonic 2 special stages actually aren’t poo poo in them. You can see what’s coming much easier.

Yeah I haven't played it yet but I've seen them. They look great. Playing the old ones on the Genesis Mini is kind of agonizing.It's basically just memorization of where the rings and bombs are gonna be and hoping Sonic decides to not slide all over the place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are we gonna pretend the Sonic 1 special stages don't all blow or what

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No, Sonic 2's are bad but Sonic 1's are H O R R I B L E. Sonic 3&K's are...fine. But honestly get pretty boring by the time you're getting to the Super Emeralds. Sonic Rush is a good little update to the halfpipe but having to use the stylus instead of the D-pad is kinda silly.

Frankly, the only special stages in the series I'd call actually good are CD's and Mania's. Mode 7 bitch,

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of thought the ones in 3D Blast (Saturn/PC version) were sort of fun as well (and one of the only good parts about that game come to think of it).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
manias are like the only good ones

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Larryb posted:

I kind of thought the ones in 3D Blast (Saturn/PC version) were sort of fun as well (and one of the only good parts about that game come to think of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgkqE00APNo
awesome music too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MJeff posted:

Yeah I haven't played it yet but I've seen them. They look great. Playing the old ones on the Genesis Mini is kind of agonizing.It's basically just memorization of where the rings and bombs are gonna be and hoping Sonic decides to not slide all over the place.

Having widescreen is such a huge improvement to Sonic that I can’t go back.

Sonic 1’s special stages aren’t great but I can consistently complete them all. 2’s always give me trouble and require memorization.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It is a god drat crime that the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2 never made it off phones.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

It is a god drat crime that the Taxman ports of Sonic 1 and 2 never made it off phones.

Seriously.

I want a taxman 1-3&k collection for PC so bad. I know 3&k didn’t happen for presumed legal reasons but might as well hope for the moon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d pay so much for them on Switch. The M2 port of Sonic 1 on Switch is good but I need those additions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Knuckles' Chaotix has the best special stages.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Having widescreen is such a huge improvement to Sonic that I can’t go back.

Sonic 1’s special stages aren’t great but I can consistently complete them all. 2’s always give me trouble and require memorization.

It's not quite an official release, but Angel Island Revisted is a widescreen port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles music options and stuff. It requires the ROM from the Steam version to play.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Sonic Heroes special stages were fine, but it's such an overlooked game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kikas posted:

Sonic Heroes special stages were fine, but it's such an overlooked game.

Heroes is frankly lucky to be overlooked because if people paid more attention to it, they'd realize that a lot of the stuff that made Sonic so awful in the mid-00s and basically killed his reputation started there.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

Heroes is frankly lucky to be overlooked because if people paid more attention to it, they'd realize that a lot of the stuff that made Sonic so awful in the mid-00s and basically killed his reputation started there.

I've met several people that have fond memories of Heroes, but most of them never beat the game, as in beat the game with all teams. It just feels awful to play.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Knuckles' Chaotix has the best special stages.

This is Correct. The bonus stage was cool as well, where you fall down into an endless void, and both of them had absolutely kickass music. I also have a soft spot for the Heroes special stages - completing the third stage was a nightmare, but when it finally came together I felt like a god.

Chaos and Triple Trouble both had a good spin on the special stages too; it's disappointing that Mania is the only time that Fang got a reprise outside of Fighters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Heroes special stages are at least easy to cheese once you figure out the trick (stay in Power formation, spam the boost button, stay on the ground as much as possible and only move or jump when you have to). Power for some reason uses less of the boost gauge than the other two so as long as you keep collecting orbs you shouldn't have to worry about running out.

They're still bad of course but they're at least manageable to be fair.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 26, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I've gotten all 141 A-ranks on Heroes multiple times, AMA

The special stages are bad btw

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Captain France posted:

It's not quite an official release, but Angel Island Revisted is a widescreen port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles music options and stuff. It requires the ROM from the Steam version to play.

If they could combine this with Sonic 3 Complete then that would be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
what the hell are you guys on. i originally wanted to give a special shoutout to the heroes stages for being awful because imagine if the complaint about daytime stages where you hold boost were true but even worse because you have to mash the button for upwards of 2 minutes