Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VideoGameVet posted:

So say you create anhydrous ammonia or even a carbon based fuel from hydrogen produced by renewables and run aircraft on that?

Anhydrous ammonia fuel cells created without cracking fossil fuels to make the ammonia would be entirely carbon-free. Apparently the Japanese are really pushing for this, which is exciting. A carbon-based fuel cell produced by renewable hydrogen scoops would be carbon-neutral, which would be an acceptable alternative.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/07/ammonia-renewable-fuel-made-sun-air-and-water-could-power-globe-without-carbon

Either way, we'd need to significantly increase power generation capacity in order to transition to this sort of economy. But the good news is that with stable fuel cells you could really do it on an industrial scale. Whether we're talking endless European wind farms, acres of Australian solar fields, massive American hydro plants, or standardized Chinese nuclear facilities, there's many different ways of capitalizing on that sort of fuel cell economy.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I following that correctly? Instead of filling a plane with jet fuel you'd simply pour in liquid ammonia?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nebakenezzer posted:

In a carbon *neutral* world, aircraft are fine, because you are offsetting the emissions elsewhere. In a world with no carbon emissions, all aircraft (save airships, which as I never tire of pointing out, would work really well with hydrogen fuel cells) are going to have problems.

look i like empire of the clouds as much as anyone, bbut we don't need another

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Tab8715 posted:

Am I following that correctly? Instead of filling a plane with jet fuel you'd simply pour in liquid ammonia?

Maybe:

More on this: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180427100256.htm

quote:

Researchers at the International Research Organization for Advanced Science and Technology (IROAST) in Kumamoto University, Japan focused on a "catalytic combustion method" to solve the NH3 fuel problems. This method adds substances that promote or suppress chemical reactions during fuel combustion. Recently, they succeeded in developing a new catalyst which improves NH3 combustibility and suppresses the generation of NOx. The novel catalyst (CuOx/3A2S) is a mullite-type crystal structure 3Al2O3·2SiO2 (3A2S) carrying copper oxide (CuOx). When NH3 was burned with this catalyst, researchers found that it stayed highly active in the selective production of N2, meaning that it suppressed NOx formation, and the catalyst itself did not change even at high temperatures. Additionally, they succeeded with in situ (Operando) observations during the CuOx/3A2S reaction, and clarified the NH3 catalytic combustion reaction mechanism.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 26, 2019

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

look i like empire of the clouds as much as anyone, bbut we don't need another

DIS

AGREE

(oh wow, that's a pro posting name for this thread)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

If we had a nationwide grid that didn't have to be in frequency sync, storage would be less of an issue. The swath of land from Texas to Canada is wind energy central and turbines don't take out food producing lands (you can farm around them)

We already have a nationwide grid that doesn't have frequency sync though?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Well...outside of the individual segmented grids, yes. But within the grid, you gotta sync unless you are running HVDC.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

I don't know how nationwide it is. Texas is literally giving away wind based electricity in some cases.

I also think we still run AC Synced Grids:

https://www.testandmeasurementtips.com/how-ac-power-sources-get-synchronized-faq/

quote:

Today’s huge ac grids consist of many separate generators with new ones continually coming online. When a generator is powered down for maintenance or even temporarily disconnected, it must resynchronize upon rejoining the grid, generally by automatic means with manual backup instrumentation in place if needed.

The process of synchronizing ac power sources to grid voltage has become more important with the spread of renewable energy. The power that wind and solar arrays generate must ultimately feed into the grid at frequencies closely matching that of the grid power. Here are a few basics of the procedures involved.

Utility generators on the U.S. utility grid generate power at 60 Hz ±0.5 Hz. Changes in utility frequency happen as a consequence of changing loads. Loads that cause more than a half-hertz dip in frequency cause automatic load shedding or other actions to bring the frequency back up.

My guess is you need superconducting DC to get around this or other tech.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The DC ties have limited capacity, but they do exist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

I don't know how nationwide it is. Texas is literally giving away wind based electricity in some cases.

I also think we still run AC Synced Grids:

https://www.testandmeasurementtips.com/how-ac-power-sources-get-synchronized-faq/

My guess is you need superconducting DC to get around this or other tech.

We don't have a NATIONWIDE synced grid, however within the individual grids, they are synced.

And there are interconnects between the grids in case of emergency, which include syncrhonizer equipment.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The current fun aspect about the US grid and renewables is that a significant portion of the new wind generation is being built in the Midwest and Plains States. Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Dakota’s, etc. But the lions share of the load is on the Eastern seaboard for hopefully obvious reasons. So this can cause significant troubles at night or on mild days when all that cheap wind power wants to be used very far from where it is generated. There are upgrades constantly being made to the grid, but the pace of building the wind farms seems to generally outstrip the pace of the upgrades. And a lot of times various cheap generators (wind and natural gas) are forcibly limited in output due to grid constraints.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Aren't there many things we could turn off - theoretically that would save tons of power? Do we really need the Whole Foods sign bright green at 3AM even when the store is closed?

I'd be curious how how a policy like that would scale across the United States. Miami has a interesting thing where all the street lights are off during turtle mating season. Why have them on at all outside of say weekends?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tab8715 posted:

Aren't there many things we could turn off - theoretically that would save tons of power? Do we really need the Whole Foods sign bright green at 3AM even when the store is closed?

I'd be curious how how a policy like that would scale across the United States. Miami has a interesting thing where all the street lights are off during turtle mating season. Why have them on at all outside of say weekends?

It would be a drop in the bucket in terms of energy savings, but drops do add up. In europe where energy costs are higher they're much more paranoid about wasting power so you have fun stuff like motion sensor lights in bathrooms with 10 second timers leaving you in the pitch black if you're in a toilet stall because those LED bulb pennies add up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tab8715 posted:

It'd be nice for quality of life. Light pollution is a real thing, and disruption of circadian rhythms, wildlife effects, etc. But lights don't use very much power at all. Whole Foods needs to run probably 100kW worth of freezers and refrigerators 24/7, if the sign has fluorescent lights, the whole sign is probably 200W, max. It's a fraction of a percent.

Yes, it's probably a waste, but a tiny one that Whole Foods does intentionally because they'd rather pay the extra $5/month for the advertising effects than save the electricity.

I'm thinking about the original question, and I don't know of many things we could turn off just to save power. Most things that we leave on, we're leaving on for a reason, like a cable box, because we don't want to wait five minutes for it to boot up when we turn on the TV. Street lights on are because it's safer to be able to see at night.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It would be a drop in the bucket in terms of energy savings, but drops do add up. In europe where energy costs are higher they're much more paranoid about wasting power so you have fun stuff like motion sensor lights in bathrooms with 10 second timers leaving you in the pitch black if you're in a toilet stall because those LED bulb pennies add up.

I've noticed in some parts of the Midwest and Texas for typical white collar office complexs Air Conditioning turns off at 7PM until 7AM the next day. It's off all through out the weekend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tab8715 posted:

“Why do you want to bring CRIME to our town!”

—local septuagenarian and voter

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tab8715 posted:

Efficiency upgrades are certainly worth doing, and they're generally incorporated into modern consumer devices and smart grid type infrastructure. The most important thing is making sure that the end-users are actually valuing the electricity - the American tendency to subsidize resource usage causes a lot of problems with that.

On an industrial level, big electricity users often activate at night rather than during the day, since power is cheaper when there's low demand. There's a little bit of that at the consumer level (e.g. dishwashers have timers to run at night, motion-sensor/timered lights are becoming more common, plug-in electric cars can often be set to charge at night, etc.)

If you want to have more of this sort of thing in your own home, most electronics stores carry timer adapters that are pretty easy to incorporate. The technology has been around forever, though the newer ones are nicer to use. Wifi smartplug adapters are slowly replacing them, if you want those decorative outdoor LEDs to light up when your car parks after work, as opposed to at 5:30pm.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 27, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Infinite Karma posted:

It'd be nice for quality of life. Light pollution is a real thing, and disruption of circadian rhythms, wildlife effects, etc. But lights don't use very much power at all. Whole Foods needs to run probably 100kW worth of freezers and refrigerators 24/7, if the sign has fluorescent lights, the whole sign is probably 200W, max. It's a fraction of a percent.

Yes, it's probably a waste, but a tiny one that Whole Foods does intentionally because they'd rather pay the extra $5/month for the advertising effects than save the electricity.

I'm thinking about the original question, and I don't know of many things we could turn off just to save power. Most things that we leave on, we're leaving on for a reason, like a cable box, because we don't want to wait five minutes for it to boot up when we turn on the TV. Street lights on are because it's safer to be able to see at night.

We already picked all the low-hanging-fruit of energy savings over the past 40 years.

Insulation, requiring efficiency increases in major home appliances, the catastrophic drop in power draw (and massive rise in bulb life) of lighting, similar pretty massive drops in the power draw of home entertainment equipment, even people's terrible SUVs are still using less gas to go longer distances than the stuff people were driving 30-40 years back. Even a lot of the old time power hungry factories and stuff like that are gone entirely or have had some pretty serious energy cost reductions compared to their past equipment.

And frankly a lot of whats left that could be removed "easily" with the kind of decade long government forced timescales like much of that was? It's stuff that doesn't touch the grid. Or it's stuff that we want to cut emissions from in general, which will actually mean needing more grid power to replace it. EG move people in closer and make them drop their current cars for electric transport? You need to increase grid production to supply the power, which was previously coming out of internal combustion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The problem is, arguing that we can cut energy needs by shutting things off ignores that things like AC and other comforts which are the largest draws in most homes, will only become more necessary as the average temperatures increase.

fishmech posted:

And frankly a lot of whats left that could be removed "easily" with the kind of decade long government forced timescales like much of that was? It's stuff that doesn't touch the grid. Or it's stuff that we want to cut emissions from in general, which will actually mean needing more grid power to replace it. EG move people in closer and make them drop their current cars for electric transport? You need to increase grid production to supply the power, which was previously coming out of internal combustion.

Yup, this is going to be another reason storage is not going to be the end all answer: As we switch to electric transportation more, the grid demand will only go up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

We already picked all the low-hanging-fruit of energy savings over the past 40 years.

I'm surprised every time I go into the mall of corporate headquarters lobby it's a freezing 66-68 degrees. I sort of wish we'd just acclimate ourselves to 72f or even 74f and that's how they do it in other countries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is, arguing that we can cut energy needs by shutting things off ignores that things like AC and other comforts which are the largest draws in most homes, will only become more necessary as the average temperatures increase.

Heating is a much larger portion of energy expenditures than AC is. When AC becomes more necessary as average temperatures increase, heating becomes less necessary.

AC typically uses more electricity, but that’s because heating is usually produced by burning fossil fuels. From a CO2 perspective, you’d rather people live in Phoenix where their AC comes from a big nuclear plant than live in Minnesota.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, AC is weird like that. We could still save a lot of power by reducing it.

In the end though you cannot reduce power to carbon neutrality. Or even make it most of the way there.

Also sometimes we want to move from directly burning fuel to using (green) electricity, so we'd see a big increase in electrical demand from that, even if our carbon footprint goes way down. Like electrifying steel mills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Heating is a much larger portion of energy expenditures than AC is. When AC becomes more necessary as average temperatures increase, heating becomes less necessary.

AC typically uses more electricity, but that’s because heating is usually produced by burning fossil fuels. From a CO2 perspective, you’d rather people live in Phoenix where their AC comes from a big nuclear plant than live in Minnesota.

True, but either way AC use is likely to increase, and with electric cars becoming more common, so will high amperage charging ports.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Also sometimes we want to move from directly burning fuel to using (green) electricity, so we'd see a big increase in electrical demand from that, even if our carbon footprint goes way down. Like electrifying steel mills.

Arc Furnaces are loving awesome.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are there any upcoming revolution with energy storage or are just stuck with giant lithium batteries?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any upcoming revolution with energy storage or are just stuck with giant lithium batteries?

Some, but flywheels and pumped storage are kind of the winners right now

But, again, storage is a net drain most of the time, so take whatever your net output of your wind solar is, and half that for its peak output. That's the problem: Storage has to be charged/pumped, and for the most part the amount being used to do so is not going on the grid. So, got a 500 MW solar plant? At least half of that is going to storage, and there are losses.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I'm surprised every time I go into the mall of corporate headquarters lobby it's a freezing 66-68 degrees. I sort of wish we'd just acclimate ourselves to 72f or even 74f and that's how they do it in other countries.

In other countries they use celsius :smuggo:.

Tab8715 posted:

I doubt it? It is very difficult to have reusable energy storage with better energy density than dynamite. Lithium batteries are terrible for grid storage in most incarnations, they simply need to be replaced too often. I think the best you can hope for is similar or slightly better performance than current batteries without some of the downsides. This would make them still inferior to pumped hydro, although that is geographically limited.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 27, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

Some, but flywheels and pumped storage are kind of the winners right now

But, again, storage is a net drain most of the time, so take whatever your net output of your wind solar is, and half that for its peak output. That's the problem: Storage has to be charged/pumped, and for the most part the amount being used to do so is not going on the grid. So, got a 500 MW solar plant? At least half of that is going to storage, and there are losses.

Also we're going to need to build absolutely massive artificial tank/basin structures if we're really going to do enough pumped storage to buffer continental electricity demands. There simply aren't enough natural valleys suitable for damming to do so, and even if there were we wouldn't want to be utterly destroying all those ecosystems just to store power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Also we're going to need to build absolutely massive artificial tank/basin structures if we're really going to do enough pumped storage to buffer continental electricity demands. There simply aren't enough natural valleys suitable for damming to do so, and even if there were we wouldn't want to be utterly destroying all those ecosystems just to store power.

Not to mention the ecological and human disaster that dams/basins have been already.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Not to mention the ecological and human disaster that dams/basins have been already.

It may an ecological disaster but it’s not like we would build them if they didn’t benefit us. Irrigation, flood control and water supply is just more important to us than the downsides.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Owling Howl posted:

It may an ecological disaster but it’s not like we would build them if they didn’t benefit us. Irrigation, flood control and water supply is just more important to us than the downsides.

Obviously flood control and irrigation are legit uses, (TVA and the dams in Tennessee come to mind) but its a poor choice otherwise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are there any examples of hydroelectric power that aren’t environmental disasters?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

We don't have a NATIONWIDE synced grid, however within the individual grids, they are synced.

And there are interconnects between the grids in case of emergency, which include syncrhonizer equipment.
Something I've often wondered about when I see maps like this and I guess this thread would be as good a place as any to ask about it:

If one was to build a facility in the general vicinity of the spot at the Texas/New Mexico border where the three major grids meet, would it be possible to get service from all of them and be basically immune to external power loss? Something like a datacenter where all the power is going to be feeding in to the on-site UPSes so the lack of synchronization on the input doesn't matter.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 27, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

wolrah posted:

Something I've often wondered about when I see maps like this and I guess this thread would be as good a place as any to ask about it:

If one was to build a facility in the general vicinity of the spot at the Texas/New Mexico border where the three major grids meet, would it be possible to get service from all of them and be basically immune to external power loss? Something like a datacenter where all the power is going to be feeding in to the on-site UPSes so the lack of synchronization on the input doesn't matter.

No. It doesn't work like that. The grids only interconnect at specific spots where they have equipment for that.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CommieGIR posted:

Big dams are ecological disasters, but on the other hand, the entire planet is becoming an ecological disaster. It might be the least worst option to build dams and shut down gas power plants, because the only options we really have without inventing a new miracle technology are nuclear and hydro, and hydro has the advantage of being pumpable to store excess generation overnight.

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any examples of hydroelectric power that aren't environmental disasters?
How would that be possible? Building dams floods gigantic areas permanently and changes the ecology of the downstream parts of the river dramatically. It's not pollution or something, it's fundamentally redirecting the water that changes the ecosystem. Even beaver dams cause ecological disasters and often need to be broken up.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

My understanding is that most of the good sites for hydro were already exploited in the 50s-70s

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

There are examples of pumped hydro using manmade underground reservoirs. The one I'm thinking of is the one on El Hierro in the Canary Islands:

Case study: El Hierro – renewable energy for remote island systems

It's a small island and fuel costs were high enough for it to make economic sense. The island is now powered entirely with wind + hydro storage. I think the impact on the environment is pretty minimal.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kaal posted:

My understanding is that most of the good sites for hydro were already exploited in the 50s-70s

Maybe in the U.S. that's true. The Panama Canal, for instance, could have a massive generating station attached, with basically unlimited capacity, instead of the tiny generators is currently runs. The Atlantic side is much, much higher than the Pacific side.

More pie-in-the-sky, the Bering Strait could also potentially be dammed (geopolitical issues between Russia and the U.S. aside). The Strait of Gibraltar could be dammed (but I'm more skeptical of that, because the Mediterranean is already an area in danger of overheating).

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Infinite Karma posted:

Maybe in the U.S. that's true. The Panama Canal, for instance, could have a massive generating station attached, with basically unlimited capacity, instead of the tiny generators is currently runs. The Atlantic side is much, much higher than the Pacific side.

More pie-in-the-sky, the Bering Strait could also potentially be dammed (geopolitical issues between Russia and the U.S. aside). The Strait of Gibraltar could be dammed (but I'm more skeptical of that, because the Mediterranean is already an area in danger of overheating).

Panama is an interesting idea, but the idea of damming gibraltar or or bering straights is ludicrous.

Hydro is not the future, and we should not be pursuing large scale hydro projects.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Panama is an interesting idea, but the idea of damming gibraltar or or bering straights is ludicrous.

Hydro is not the future, and we should not be pursuing large scale hydro projects.

Tidal could work. The issue is, as anyone who has worked on boats knows, the ocean loves to break stuff.

But this should be solvable. Even currents could be tapped.

Waves too.

But you really have to deal with a harsh environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, Panama is real, the others are not.

There are still gains in Hydro, is the point. There isn't enough geography to switch to primarily Hydro for our power, but if we doubled Hydro at existing dams and turned the good sites into pumped storage facilities, and also installed pumped storage in the Great Lakes, we could make a big dent in the numbers. Going from 8% Hydro to 15% Hydro and 25% Nuclear to 35% Nuclear in the U.S., building out pumped storage for 10% of our capacity (that's actually probably the craziest part to be honest), that might be enough baseline to make 50% Solar and Wind generation feasible.

edit: re: nuclear, if we have about 100 nuclear reactors operating in the U.S., we could conceivably build 10 more and hit those numbers. That's not crazy, even with NIMBYs blocking progress.